Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 134 Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

are there any movies that are old worth even buying in HD..makes no sense to me to bother doing so, just buy the old one and have it upscaled..Your not going to get a TRUE hd anyways from a pretty old flick..or am I wront..

I think you are very "wront".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 134 Old 01-02-2008, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't mind the quality of the BD for Total Recall, it could be a bit better but it doesn't suck. Maybe a 3 out of 5? Jay and Silent Bob sucks, that's as blurry as the DVD version. I bet there is little difference there.
post #33 of 134 Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There's PQ issues with both the blu-ray and hd-dvd version of total recall. The HD-DVD look like it's had the contrast boosted and has been digitally noise filtered, which makes the image look cheaply artificially enhanced. The blu-ray disc looks more like a dull dirty film print, almost as bad as the first release of The Fifth Element.
post #34 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

The HD DVD is superb... there's grain yes.. but there's almost no print damaged and there's some scene that are so clean, that makes everything look fake. At the End when Arnold takes the Elevator, you can clearly see the cutout, it flash in you're face. I watched the DVD a lot and never saw that so obvious.

I compared it to the German WMVHD 720p release and the German is the same master as the NTSC DVD, with TONS of print Damage!

Lionsgate need to get the French Master...

I agree with you. The pic and audio qaulity it excellent just like T2!
post #35 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 AM

Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post

The HD DVD is superb...

Visually? Yes. However, the pitch issue makes that title completely unwatchable for me. YMMV.

Imo, combining the video from the import with the audio of the domestic release would give us the best of both worlds. I'm not holding my breath...
post #36 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It seems like the most prudent course of action when it comes to collecting these quintessential classics in the newest format is to simply wait for the "anniversary remaster" edition, rather than scoop the "money grab" version that is released right away.

The anniversary edition is the one where the studio has monetarily deemed it worth making and will thus invest in some real work in the remastering, targeted to the pinnacle format of that time. That is also the time where they will drop in the "premium audio" soundtrack and various "extras" to further the enticement of the anniversary package. That is when you get your money's worth for a catalog title.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #37 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townofturley View Post

I think you are very "wront".

guys, I think he gets it after 6 months.

*looks at original post date
post #38 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post

Total Recall, The Punisher, Jay and Silent Bob Striekback, xXx, Devil Wears Prada, Silent Hill, Talladega Nights, American Psycho, and Crash all need to be redone. Some of them actually look worse than the DVD versions.

I can't even come close to agreeing with you in any way, shape, or form.

Total Recall, while not the greatest, looks pretty good.
Here's what HighDef Digest said:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/48/totalrecall.html

And The Punisher looked very good:
High Def Digest:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/22/punisher.html

I've been very pleased with High Def Digest's reviews. They seem to be fairly accurate and I value their opinion.

I really have to believe that you have some serious problems with your setup if you think these two titles are bad.
post #39 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

in think people should not forget that in the HD era the TV and calibration matters much so a movie looks horrible to one person on another TV set it might look ok.
post #40 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

It seems like the most prudent course of action when it comes to collecting these quintessential classics in the newest format is to simply wait for the "anniversary remaster" edition, rather than scoop the "money grab" version that is released right away.

I love your lingo, "money grab" version. Truly though, there's a growing swell of well-done discs, IMO. Maybe X-tras are less than the mature format/s will have but it doesn't bother me so much. I have alot of pent-up desire to collect films since I lost intrest in DVD six years ago.....DVD lost it's sheen once I saw D-Theater tape. Money grab versions, for the most part, for less than $20 at Amazon or elsewhere, look like Brad Pitt in the buff to me....

Keeping perspective here, Total Recall is one of the first 20 Blu titles. Those were the bad old days of Blur-ray and the Samsung 1000 as the primary player. Total Recall on BD is just poorly encoded beyond the obvious print defeciencies. Even when you play it on the newer, better players, it's chocked full of motion artifacts. Lionsrake, should pull a Sony and remaster this disc. It's faded colour jerkin' along begs for it.

It's definitely a "money grab" title! Renting or waiting for better with this one is certainly prudent advice.....

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #41 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

Anyone know if the BD uses the same master as the unreleased D-Theater tape?

To me it look to be about the same. But that was a long time ago as it was viewed on the old Samsung bdp1k with original firmware. Comparing most HDDVD/BD titles to D-theater is well .. boring. no significant improvements on optical formats.

Tony!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
post #42 of 134 Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

To me it look to be about the same. But that was a long time ago as it was viewed on the old Samsung bdp1k with original firmware. Comparing most HDDVD/BD titles to D-theater is well .. boring. no significant improvements on optical formats.

Hi, I was just looking for a comparison. People are complaining here about the BD but the only 'HD' reference I have to this is parts of this in HD from a D-Theater tape. If they do look similar, I'll be alright with it until a new transfer that blows it out of the water shows up. I will say that I did go ahead and order this from Amazon yesterday as part of their $14 BD sale (includes a handful of early titles), so I'll see this for myself soon enough.
post #43 of 134 Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 AM

Crash was my second blu ray purchase and it looked terrible...Total Recall is a great movie too....glad I ran across this thread first. Hope more of these get re-mastered ...
post #44 of 134 Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

The BD is not great neither is the D-Theater. A newer transfer does need to be used. They look HD, but not the razor sharp detailed best source elements most are expecting. They were fine for early 2002 adopters of D-theater, for getting a taste of HD but not for HDM. I sold off my Total Recall and Dirty Dancing tapes. I still have a half of Basic Instinct. So I really cannot compare them.

Tony!

/

/
post #45 of 134 Old 01-06-2008, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
If you want to talk about a truly dreadful looking b-r disc, look no further than U2's "Rattle and Hum."

I know part of the problem is the poor photography, especially in the b/w sequences, but no one can tell me bad photography, wrong filmstock, grain or dragging the print through the mud can produce the kind of dancing pixel artifacting seen in the beginning interview sequence around the performance of "Desire." It's an almost mystifyingly bad transfer. It seriously looks as bad as a mediocre vhs tape. Add to that, the audio mix is timid and lacking any sort of real punch, noteably in regards to bass, especially compared to the old ac-3 laserdisc.

To add insult to injury, there's no real extras beyond the movie trailer. As a big U2 fan, I'm very familiar with almost every release of this movie since the original longbox vhs tape release. Even disregarding the awful transfer, there's so much in the way of extras that could have been included, from hours of unused footage from half a dozen live shows in '87 filmed for the movie to some or all of the 1990 New Years Eve concert in Dublin that was filmed that featured many songs from the "Rattle and Hum" album.

It's interesting that Paramount has used this title as one of their "showcase' releases for every single new video format down to psp movies and even vcds. Why each succeeding release of this title appears to be a step down from the previous release is anyone's guess.

IMO, the worst looking blu-ray release EVER.

T.B.
post #46 of 134 Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I received Total Recall BD in the mail yesterday, and man, it's now one of the 2 worst looking HD titles I've seen (the other being Spartacus HD DVD which has about as much detail as a standard DVD). Disappointed, but thankfully I only paid $14 for it. I'll replace it with a newer transfer at some point, I guess. I didn't do a comparison side-by-side with my D-Theater Demonstration Tape w/ the footage from Total Recall, but I can say for sure that the BD looks easily worse. The D-Theater demotape scenes were bright and colorful, with a lot of grain. The BD looks dull/washed out, and blurry. I figured it would likely look the same, that perhaps my standards are lower than those who have complained about the disc. The scenes from the demotape look so much better. It's like they went heavy on noise reduction for the BD. Hopefully whatever is being broadcasted on HD cable stations resembles the tape and not the BD. On another note, I got a few other titles with this (including Species, Fifth Element RE, and Terminator) and they all look good.
post #47 of 134 Old 01-12-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The D-Theater tape did look a bit worse than the D-theater demo tape. Why I have no idea.

Tony!

/

/
post #48 of 134 Old 01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2 View Post

The D-Theater tape did look a bit worse than the D-theater demo tape. Why I have no idea.

That does sound odd (about the tape looking worse than the demo). I really wish Artisan wasn't bought out by Lionsgate..otherwise I could have had this as well as Basic Instinct and Reservoir Dogs..TR and BI being two films I love.
post #49 of 134 Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Well this is typical and redundant.... This has happened before with many DVDs, they are re-mastered for better video quality and audio quality. I can see this happening with Blu-Ray as well, lets just hope they get it some what right or right on the first time. I didn't think Total Recall Blu-Ray was bad at all, and I am using a 1080p 92" FP system, looked very good in some parts and in other a tad grainy, but lets not forget some times remastering a film doesn't always bring huge differences, it all depends on how the movie was shot etc... Now first release of "Full Metal Jacket" was not so good, just make sure you get the remastered version of this and not the "White" covered one....
post #50 of 134 Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Total Recall can most certainly be remastered better than the current poor lookin' disc. First of all, the Euro HD-DVD clearly demonstrates that. It doesn't look washed out to begin with. The video is smoother devoid of blantant motion artifacts.

For the Blu format, Total Recall looks poor. That doesn't preclude it lookin' a tad more detailed than a DVD but that's about it. I think it's akin to the first release of The Fifth Element. A proper re-release ought'a demonstrate a similar leap in quality, IMO.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #51 of 134 Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Eldridge View Post

I'll hold out on this title or wait until it hits the bargain bin. Let's bring on Running Man in the meantime.

Every time I see Running Man, I wish they kept the story exactly as in the book. That would have made a great movie.
post #52 of 134 Old 01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlo View Post

are there any movies that are old worth even buying in HD..makes no sense to me to bother doing so, just buy the old one and have it upscaled..Your not going to get a TRUE hd anyways from a pretty old flick..or am I wront..

This has been run into the ground ,quality film elements give incredible HD regardless of age. Film exeeds HD resolution and color palette. Total recall looks like crap.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #53 of 134 Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 AM

I just rented Total Recall from blockbuster on blu ray. Gesh. Worst transfer I have ever seen. This was by far the most horrible film for PQ on blu ray. It was so grainy that I had to force myself not to grit my teeth.

There is absolutely no reason to ever buy this film on blu ray. I liked the story but rental is the only way to go. You will be so happy that you could return it.

marcus

Our Personal Website with movie and music catalog pages.

post #54 of 134 Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInCali View Post

Total Recall, The Punisher, Jay and Silent Bob Striekback, xXx, Devil Wears Prada, Silent Hill, Talladega Nights, American Psycho, and Crash all need to be redone. Some of them actually look worse than the DVD versions.

Don't forget HOFD.

Blu-ray = 775
post #55 of 134 Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

If anyone here is neutral, do yourself a favor and import the UK HD DVD of Total Recal for $21.95. It looks superb.

Blu-ray = 775
post #56 of 134 Old 02-10-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I dont think the UK edition looks superb.

It feels flat.
post #57 of 134 Old 02-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Total Recall have ALWAYS looked like crap.
Every time I bought a new "Special edition" on LD or DVD of the movie I was always disappointed with the PQ.
Isn´t it time that Lions Gate goes back to the original negative?
Because the BD and HD-DVD (Studio-Canal) versions must have been from an crappy print found in Carolco´s trash bin
post #58 of 134 Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper View Post

Total Recall has the absolute worst transfer I've yet to see on Blu-ray.

Absolute horrible grain (worse than Blackhawk Down), print artifacts up the wazoo (like hair, dirt specs, you name it). The colors are muted and lifeless. The image detail was just average.

The same goes for "Terminator". It's a re-scan, with no cleaning up, so all the scratches & drop-outs are all there. Had I known I would have just kept the SD.

I just picked up "Terminator 2" and you guys are already saying that it isn't all that great a transfer. groan. Well, it's HAS to be better because the Ultimate Edition has the Theatrical and Extended versions on a double disc - dual layer disc (one of the few), which means that each side, 8.5 GB, is compressing a 156 & 136 minute movie along with all the extras.

So, yeah, the BD is a single layer 137 minute MPEG 2 edition. But I still expect it to look slightly better than the Ultimate Edition.

So, if anyone has the Ultimate Edition and the BD Theatrical Edition and you feel very strongly that there is no difference and that the BD is not worth owning, tell me now, before I open the package. Thanks.
post #59 of 134 Old 02-20-2008, 07:49 AM

Just got my first BD player, and had to get 3 of my favorite films on the format. So far, I've watched The Fifth Element, which looked absolutely spectacular, and Total Recall, which looked like CRAP. Hope Stargate is better, though I'm not hopeful, seeing it's a Lionsgate.
post #60 of 134 Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy_m View Post

Just got my first BD player, and had to get 3 of my favorite films on the format. So far, I've watched The Fifth Element, which looked absolutely spectacular, and Total Recall, which looked like CRAP. Hope Stargate is better, though I'm not hopeful, seeing it's a Lionsgate.

A few of the outdoor shots on Stargate look ok but most of the movie is washed out and full of grain. I'm waiting to get my corrected (subtitle) copy back from Lionsgate.

I sure hope Total Recall gets a makeover... I could not believe how bad it looked. The only other HDM I've seen that comes close in An American Werewolf in London but it is still a bit better.

To the poster that questioned the worth of buying older titles on HDM just look at The Thing, Trading Places, The Shining, etc. night and day improvement IMO.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page