Blade Runner: The Final Cut - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1323 Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anybody review that deleted footage yet??? and has anybody seen the workprint version?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1323 Old 12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thanks for the kind rebuttals ! I think that I had higher expectations and that translated into my comments.

I still feel the 2001 ASO and Forbidden Planet showed greater improvement than did Blade Runner.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #543 of 1323 Old 12-16-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

At least at the movie house BR final cut rules, I liked to FP which had crapply ld/dvd transfers compared and 2001 looked almost as great as the theater back in 68..ALL three are GREAT...banner year for HiDef video
post #544 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

You are also right that many optical special effect shots look rather dated. Warner used significant DNR for these sequences.

Time codes, please. The cinema master should have very little DNR. If they added DNR for the sfx stuff from 70mm for HD they should be whipped. Don't say they did...
post #545 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 04:59 AM

anyone seen the ultimate collection with the case in stores or know of any stores that will get it tuesday? amazon says mine won't arrive until after christmas unfortunately. i know no bby's around me will but not sure of circuit or any others
post #546 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerhead View Post

anyone seen the ultimate collection with the case in stores or know of any stores that will get it tuesday? amazon says mine won't arrive until after christmas unfortunately. i know no bby's around me will but not sure of circuit or any others

Yeah - not sure what to expect with Amazon on this one. On the product page for the 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition (the one without the case) - it says "Receive this item by December 24 when you pre-order with free Super Saver Shipping by December 17." But after ordering, the Order Status says it won't arrive until after Christmas. I guess we'll know for sure in the next couple of days.

post #547 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Thanks for the kind rebuttals ! I think that I had higher expectations and that translated into my comments.

I still feel the 2001 ASO and Forbidden Planet showed greater improvement than did Blade Runner.

Art

Looking at the screen shots posted I would have to disagree, the Blade runner final cut looks MILES better than the HDNET version to the point where if you told me the HDNET version was SD and the Final Cut version was HD I would have bought that comparison.
post #548 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

Looking at the screen shots posted I would have to disagree, the Blade runner final cut looks MILES better than the HDNET version to the point where if you told me the HDNET version was SD and the Final Cut version was HD I would have bought that comparison.

You are disagreeing with the fact that I had higher expectations that weren't met ?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #549 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are disagreeing with the fact that I had higher expectations that weren't met ?

Art

I'd say completely un realistic expectations based on the source material. Looking at the direct capture of those screen shots to my eyes it looks like the biggest jump in PQ I've yet seen for a catalog title.

Also given the amount of extra's in this set and the very reasonable price I cannot find fault in Warner for giving us this unbelievable package for X-Mas.

This title should be a case study on how to deliver a classic catalog title in HD. Every step of the process seems to have been made with great care and dedication and we the fans are reaping the rewards.

But on a PQ judgment alone this seems to be a HUGE leap in quality over previous releases. I simply don't see what you are complaining about and given the reviews that are already out you seem to be alone on this one.

No offense is intended in this post, and I'll also make a proper judgement when I get this set home.
post #550 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

I'd say completely un realistic expectations based on the source material. Looking at the direct capture of those screen shots to my eyes it looks like the biggest jump in PQ I've yet seen for a catalog title.

Also given the amount of extra's in this set and the very reasonable price I cannot find fault in Warner for giving us this unbelievable package for X-Mas.

This title should be a case study on how to deliver a classic catalog title in HD. Every step of the process seems to have been made with great care and dedication and we the fans are reaping the rewards.

But on a PQ judgment alone this seems to be a HUGE leap in quality over previous releases. I simply don't see what you are complaining about and given the reviews that are already out you seem to be alone on this one.

No offense is intended in this post, and I'll also make a proper judgement when I get this set home.

Who in the hell is complaining, go back and look at my original post and the one after. I said it looks really , really good and that the source is likely the issue. Holy smoke ! Most BD and HDDVD fans hate filtered lenses,soft focus techniques grain etc that is replete in this fim (thus my preemptive comment)

The colors are still muted,there are instances of loss of shadow detail, and crushing of blacks, the instances of improved detail is sporadic (eg the Tyrell Building for example as I previously stated).

The film has few instances of real sharp imagery as I stated (way back) this is likely the filming technique.

As far as extras etc ,I've not even looked at these yet so I hope you aren't preparing a slam in advance in case I find them lacking.

Have you seen it yet ?

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #551 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Yeah - not sure what to expect with Amazon on this one. On the product page for the 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition (the one without the case) - it says "Receive this item by December 24 when you pre-order with free Super Saver Shipping by December 17." But after ordering, the Order Status says it won't arrive until after Christmas. I guess we'll know for sure in the next couple of days.

Amazon:
Production Delay: Due to production and shipment delays from the studio impacting all retailers, this title will not be available to ship by the street date indicated above. We are working with the studio to get this product in stock as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

This is a bummer, I was getting 2 of the BD UCE's, one for a gift, now it looks like who knows when it will be available.
post #552 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Art did you get a chance to go thru the special features yet, exta footage???what your opinion
post #553 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

Art did you get a chance to go thru the special features yet, exta footage???what your opinion

No unfortunately, I had to travel out of state to see my brother in the hospital. It will likely not be till this weekend.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #554 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mine arrived today from warner. I bought the 5 disc version and it was the blu ray version yet my seal at the top was for the hd dvd. Wonder if someone over there is pulling some pranks
post #555 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

Mine arrived today from warner. I bought the 5 disc version and it was the blu ray version yet my seal at the top was for the hd dvd. Wonder if someone over there is pulling some pranks

True neutral position.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #556 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't received mine yet from Warner, but the status on myexpresscheckout.com has changed from In process to shipped (it was still In Process as of last Friday).
post #557 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

You folks that found the BD version at BB, did they have the briefcase version there as well? I may cancel my Amazon order if I can pick it up at BB.
post #558 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You folks that found the BD version at BB, did they have the briefcase version there as well? I may cancel my Amazon order if I can pick it up at BB.

The Best Buy I found my copy at did not have the briefcase out . .

Better to just wait for your Amazon order.

When in doubt use the spoiler tag "[$poiler] Spoiler text [/spoiler]"

Xbox: Swift Mojo Hand
PSN: SwiftM0j0Hand
post #559 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mojo Hand View Post

The Best Buy I found my copy at did not have the briefcase out . .

Better to just wait for your Amazon order.

Yeah, I'll have to see what happens, one was a gift and if I don't get it by Friday I may have to change the ship to address.
post #560 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixkillerNYC View Post

I haven't received mine yet from Warner, but the status on myexpresscheckout.com has changed from In process to shipped (it was still In Process as of last Friday).

My myexpresscheckout status shows shipped 12/14. Haven't received a confirming email yet, but it was actually delivered today (Maryland location). Warner is (hopefully) getting back into its old self with timely deliveries of pre-orders.
post #561 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just to be sure disc 2 and 4 are dvds correct not suppose to be blu ray discs?

edit:

nevermind just looked inside at the booklet for the first time
post #562 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

My myexpresscheckout status shows shipped 12/14. Haven't received a confirming email yet, but it was actually delivered today (Maryland location). Warner is (hopefully) getting back into its old self with timely deliveries of pre-orders.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even notice that it shows tracking numbers. Mine was shipped on 12/12 and should be arriving today or tomorrow.

Interesting that the first half of my order (Full Metal Jacket and The Shining) was shipped UPS overnight, which this was ground.
post #563 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Have you seen it yet ?

Watched it tonight. Most of the 35mm material is on the soft side. It was shot like that. Some shots are also graded very dark. Overall it looks great. True to the source.
post #564 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Watched it tonight. Most of the 35mm material is on the soft side. It was shot like that. Some shots are also graded very dark. Overall it looks great. True to the source.

Great to hear that. As I said I thought it looked very very good but I was not as impressed with there being as much of an overall leap from the HDNET presentation as the screen shots have demomstrated.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #565 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

God dammit! What is Warner Bros. problem lately? I received my Blade Runner BD a day early from DVD Planet, and four of the five discs have the same tangential scratches that plagued the Battlestar Galactica: Season One box set, including two Blu-ray Discs! I have never seen anything like this on a BD before, and I can only surmise the scratches occurred before the anti-scratch coating was applied.

I was looking forward to a lot of HDM releases this 4Q, but nearly every high-profile release has been a QC nightmare:

Star Trek The Original Series: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Battlestar Galactica: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Harry Potter - Wrong discs included
Blade Runner - Scratched discs

post #566 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Not that this isn't already out there but on NPR tonight Ridley Scott said:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that Deckard was definitely a replicant. Harry Ford (his words) didn't like the idea thinking it made it too tidy but that was beside the point.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #567 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

any early sightings in san diego calif....anybody?????
post #568 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

God dammit! What is Warner Bros. problem lately? I received my Blade Runner BD a day early from DVD Planet, and four of the five discs have the same tangential scratches that plagued the Battlestar Galactica: Season One box set, including two Blu-ray Discs! I have never seen anything like this on a BD before, and I can only surmise the scratches occurred before the anti-scratch coating was applied.

I was looking forward to a lot of HDM releases this 4Q, but nearly every high-profile release has been a QC nightmare:

Star Trek The Original Series: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Battlestar Galactica: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Harry Potter - Wrong discs included
Blade Runner - Scratched discs

I received my set today from Warner Home Video and there were no scratches. The only one I've played so far (the 1st one - the final cut) played perfectly. By the way, it was worth the wait.
post #569 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I received my set today from Warner Home Video and there were no scratches. The only one I've played so far (the 1st one - the final cut) played perfectly. By the way, it was worth the wait.

I am glad to hear there are good sets out there. Obviously, I am going to try another set, but these scratches are pretty thin in nature and could be easily missed. I always hold my media up to a bright light to inspect the play side, and I was just shocked they were in the condition they were. I've seen HD DVDs like this before, but not BDs. Again, they must've been scratched before the coating was applied.

With all the trouble Warner Bros. has been having lately, it makes me wonder if the increased volume of having to support two formats is weighing too heavily on their production lines.
post #570 of 1323 Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Got it tonight from Wally World, watched just a little bit (don't want the babies watching it), and I have to say that it doesn't look as good as I would have expected based on comments here. Just preliminary, but color me not as impressed as others so far. Will watch it in it's entirety soon though........

I LOVE MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page