Blade Runner: The Final Cut - Page 19 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Software > Blade Runner: The Final Cut

Blu-ray Software

bladerunner7's Avatar bladerunner7
11:48 AM Liked: 10
post #541 of 1323
12-16-2007 | Posts: 1,346
Joined: Aug 2006
anybody review that deleted footage yet??? and has anybody seen the workprint version?????
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
06:47 PM Liked: 49
post #542 of 1323
12-16-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Thanks for the kind rebuttals ! I think that I had higher expectations and that translated into my comments.

I still feel the 2001 ASO and Forbidden Planet showed greater improvement than did Blade Runner.

Art
bladerunner7's Avatar bladerunner7
11:47 PM Liked: 10
post #543 of 1323
12-16-2007 | Posts: 1,346
Joined: Aug 2006
At least at the movie house BR final cut rules, I liked to FP which had crapply ld/dvd transfers compared and 2001 looked almost as great as the theater back in 68..ALL three are GREAT...banner year for HiDef video
mhafner's Avatar mhafner
04:23 AM Liked: 29
post #544 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 4,611
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion View Post

You are also right that many optical special effect shots look rather dated. Warner used significant DNR for these sequences.

Time codes, please. The cinema master should have very little DNR. If they added DNR for the sfx stuff from 70mm for HD they should be whipped. Don't say they did...
crakerhead's Avatar crakerhead
05:59 AM Liked: 10
post #545 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 465
Joined: May 2006
anyone seen the ultimate collection with the case in stores or know of any stores that will get it tuesday? amazon says mine won't arrive until after christmas unfortunately. i know no bby's around me will but not sure of circuit or any others
BigDad's Avatar BigDad
07:54 AM Liked: 11
post #546 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 945
Joined: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerhead View Post

anyone seen the ultimate collection with the case in stores or know of any stores that will get it tuesday? amazon says mine won't arrive until after christmas unfortunately. i know no bby's around me will but not sure of circuit or any others

Yeah - not sure what to expect with Amazon on this one. On the product page for the 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition (the one without the case) - it says "Receive this item by December 24 when you pre-order with free Super Saver Shipping by December 17." But after ordering, the Order Status says it won't arrive until after Christmas. I guess we'll know for sure in the next couple of days.
swanlee's Avatar swanlee
07:59 AM Liked: 10
post #547 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,820
Joined: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Thanks for the kind rebuttals ! I think that I had higher expectations and that translated into my comments.

I still feel the 2001 ASO and Forbidden Planet showed greater improvement than did Blade Runner.

Art

Looking at the screen shots posted I would have to disagree, the Blade runner final cut looks MILES better than the HDNET version to the point where if you told me the HDNET version was SD and the Final Cut version was HD I would have bought that comparison.
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
09:03 AM Liked: 49
post #548 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

Looking at the screen shots posted I would have to disagree, the Blade runner final cut looks MILES better than the HDNET version to the point where if you told me the HDNET version was SD and the Final Cut version was HD I would have bought that comparison.

You are disagreeing with the fact that I had higher expectations that weren't met ?

Art
swanlee's Avatar swanlee
10:22 AM Liked: 10
post #549 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,820
Joined: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

You are disagreeing with the fact that I had higher expectations that weren't met ?

Art


I'd say completely un realistic expectations based on the source material. Looking at the direct capture of those screen shots to my eyes it looks like the biggest jump in PQ I've yet seen for a catalog title.

Also given the amount of extra's in this set and the very reasonable price I cannot find fault in Warner for giving us this unbelievable package for X-Mas.

This title should be a case study on how to deliver a classic catalog title in HD. Every step of the process seems to have been made with great care and dedication and we the fans are reaping the rewards.

But on a PQ judgment alone this seems to be a HUGE leap in quality over previous releases. I simply don't see what you are complaining about and given the reviews that are already out you seem to be alone on this one.

No offense is intended in this post, and I'll also make a proper judgement when I get this set home.
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
11:01 AM Liked: 49
post #550 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

I'd say completely un realistic expectations based on the source material. Looking at the direct capture of those screen shots to my eyes it looks like the biggest jump in PQ I've yet seen for a catalog title.

Also given the amount of extra's in this set and the very reasonable price I cannot find fault in Warner for giving us this unbelievable package for X-Mas.

This title should be a case study on how to deliver a classic catalog title in HD. Every step of the process seems to have been made with great care and dedication and we the fans are reaping the rewards.

But on a PQ judgment alone this seems to be a HUGE leap in quality over previous releases. I simply don't see what you are complaining about and given the reviews that are already out you seem to be alone on this one.

No offense is intended in this post, and I'll also make a proper judgement when I get this set home.


Who in the hell is complaining, go back and look at my original post and the one after. I said it looks really , really good and that the source is likely the issue. Holy smoke ! Most BD and HDDVD fans hate filtered lenses,soft focus techniques grain etc that is replete in this fim (thus my preemptive comment)

The colors are still muted,there are instances of loss of shadow detail, and crushing of blacks, the instances of improved detail is sporadic (eg the Tyrell Building for example as I previously stated).

The film has few instances of real sharp imagery as I stated (way back) this is likely the filming technique.

As far as extras etc ,I've not even looked at these yet so I hope you aren't preparing a slam in advance in case I find them lacking.

Have you seen it yet ?
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
12:42 PM Liked: 445
post #551 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 28,493
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Yeah - not sure what to expect with Amazon on this one. On the product page for the 5-Disc Complete Collector's Edition (the one without the case) - it says "Receive this item by December 24 when you pre-order with free Super Saver Shipping by December 17." But after ordering, the Order Status says it won't arrive until after Christmas. I guess we'll know for sure in the next couple of days.

Amazon:
Production Delay: Due to production and shipment delays from the studio impacting all retailers, this title will not be available to ship by the street date indicated above. We are working with the studio to get this product in stock as quickly as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience.

This is a bummer, I was getting 2 of the BD UCE's, one for a gift, now it looks like who knows when it will be available.
bladerunner7's Avatar bladerunner7
12:43 PM Liked: 10
post #552 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,346
Joined: Aug 2006
Art did you get a chance to go thru the special features yet, exta footage???what your opinion
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
12:46 PM Liked: 49
post #553 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

Art did you get a chance to go thru the special features yet, exta footage???what your opinion

No unfortunately, I had to travel out of state to see my brother in the hospital. It will likely not be till this weekend.

Art
clear31's Avatar clear31
12:58 PM Liked: 10
post #554 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 637
Joined: Jun 2007
Mine arrived today from warner. I bought the 5 disc version and it was the blu ray version yet my seal at the top was for the hd dvd. Wonder if someone over there is pulling some pranks
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
01:07 PM Liked: 49
post #555 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear31 View Post

Mine arrived today from warner. I bought the 5 disc version and it was the blu ray version yet my seal at the top was for the hd dvd. Wonder if someone over there is pulling some pranks

True neutral position.

Art
SixkillerNYC's Avatar SixkillerNYC
01:09 PM Liked: 10
post #556 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 562
Joined: Oct 2005
I haven't received mine yet from Warner, but the status on myexpresscheckout.com has changed from In process to shipped (it was still In Process as of last Friday).
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
01:11 PM Liked: 445
post #557 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 28,493
Joined: Aug 2003
You folks that found the BD version at BB, did they have the briefcase version there as well? I may cancel my Amazon order if I can pick it up at BB.
Swift Mojo Hand's Avatar Swift Mojo Hand
01:51 PM Liked: 10
post #558 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 722
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

You folks that found the BD version at BB, did they have the briefcase version there as well? I may cancel my Amazon order if I can pick it up at BB.

The Best Buy I found my copy at did not have the briefcase out . .

Better to just wait for your Amazon order.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan
02:01 PM Liked: 445
post #559 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 28,493
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Mojo Hand View Post

The Best Buy I found my copy at did not have the briefcase out . .

Better to just wait for your Amazon order.

Yeah, I'll have to see what happens, one was a gift and if I don't get it by Friday I may have to change the ship to address.
whippersnapper's Avatar whippersnapper
02:15 PM Liked: 11
post #560 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,555
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixkillerNYC View Post

I haven't received mine yet from Warner, but the status on myexpresscheckout.com has changed from In process to shipped (it was still In Process as of last Friday).

My myexpresscheckout status shows shipped 12/14. Haven't received a confirming email yet, but it was actually delivered today (Maryland location). Warner is (hopefully) getting back into its old self with timely deliveries of pre-orders.
clear31's Avatar clear31
02:26 PM Liked: 10
post #561 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 637
Joined: Jun 2007
Just to be sure disc 2 and 4 are dvds correct not suppose to be blu ray discs?


edit:

nevermind just looked inside at the booklet for the first time
SixkillerNYC's Avatar SixkillerNYC
02:28 PM Liked: 10
post #562 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 562
Joined: Oct 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post

My myexpresscheckout status shows shipped 12/14. Haven't received a confirming email yet, but it was actually delivered today (Maryland location). Warner is (hopefully) getting back into its old self with timely deliveries of pre-orders.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even notice that it shows tracking numbers. Mine was shipped on 12/12 and should be arriving today or tomorrow.

Interesting that the first half of my order (Full Metal Jacket and The Shining) was shipped UPS overnight, which this was ground.
mhafner's Avatar mhafner
03:59 PM Liked: 29
post #563 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 4,611
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Have you seen it yet ?

Watched it tonight. Most of the 35mm material is on the soft side. It was shot like that. Some shots are also graded very dark. Overall it looks great. True to the source.
Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
04:27 PM Liked: 49
post #564 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhafner View Post

Watched it tonight. Most of the 35mm material is on the soft side. It was shot like that. Some shots are also graded very dark. Overall it looks great. True to the source.

Great to hear that. As I said I thought it looked very very good but I was not as impressed with there being as much of an overall leap from the HDNET presentation as the screen shots have demomstrated.

Art
Paul Arnette's Avatar Paul Arnette
04:46 PM Liked: 11
post #565 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,402
Joined: Sep 2004
God dammit! What is Warner Bros. problem lately? I received my Blade Runner BD a day early from DVD Planet, and four of the five discs have the same tangential scratches that plagued the Battlestar Galactica: Season One box set, including two Blu-ray Discs! I have never seen anything like this on a BD before, and I can only surmise the scratches occurred before the anti-scratch coating was applied.

I was looking forward to a lot of HDM releases this 4Q, but nearly every high-profile release has been a QC nightmare:

Star Trek The Original Series: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Battlestar Galactica: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Harry Potter - Wrong discs included
Blade Runner - Scratched discs


Art Sonneborn's Avatar Art Sonneborn
05:38 PM Liked: 49
post #566 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 22,307
Joined: Jun 2000
Not that this isn't already out there but on NPR tonight Ridley Scott said:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that Deckard was definitely a replicant. Harry Ford (his words) didn't like the idea thinking it made it too tidy but that was beside the point.


Art
bladerunner7's Avatar bladerunner7
06:03 PM Liked: 10
post #567 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,346
Joined: Aug 2006
any early sightings in san diego calif....anybody?????
whippersnapper's Avatar whippersnapper
06:25 PM Liked: 11
post #568 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,555
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette View Post

God dammit! What is Warner Bros. problem lately? I received my Blade Runner BD a day early from DVD Planet, and four of the five discs have the same tangential scratches that plagued the Battlestar Galactica: Season One box set, including two Blu-ray Discs! I have never seen anything like this on a BD before, and I can only surmise the scratches occurred before the anti-scratch coating was applied.

I was looking forward to a lot of HDM releases this 4Q, but nearly every high-profile release has been a QC nightmare:

Star Trek The Original Series: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Battlestar Galactica: Season One - Packaging, scratched discs
Harry Potter - Wrong discs included
Blade Runner - Scratched discs


I received my set today from Warner Home Video and there were no scratches. The only one I've played so far (the 1st one - the final cut) played perfectly. By the way, it was worth the wait.
Paul Arnette's Avatar Paul Arnette
06:34 PM Liked: 11
post #569 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 1,402
Joined: Sep 2004
Quote:


I received my set today from Warner Home Video and there were no scratches. The only one I've played so far (the 1st one - the final cut) played perfectly. By the way, it was worth the wait.

I am glad to hear there are good sets out there. Obviously, I am going to try another set, but these scratches are pretty thin in nature and could be easily missed. I always hold my media up to a bright light to inspect the play side, and I was just shocked they were in the condition they were. I've seen HD DVDs like this before, but not BDs. Again, they must've been scratched before the coating was applied.

With all the trouble Warner Bros. has been having lately, it makes me wonder if the increased volume of having to support two formats is weighing too heavily on their production lines.
lordcloud's Avatar lordcloud
08:21 PM Liked: 44
post #570 of 1323
12-17-2007 | Posts: 2,310
Joined: Nov 2006
Got it tonight from Wally World, watched just a little bit (don't want the babies watching it), and I have to say that it doesn't look as good as I would have expected based on comments here. Just preliminary, but color me not as impressed as others so far. Will watch it in it's entirety soon though........

Reply Blu-ray Software

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3