Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1323 Old 12-22-2007, 11:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
^You're gonna luv it too.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

^You're gonna luv it too.

Can't wait!

Will watch it tomorrow (Sunday) for sure!
post #723 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Finest set of docs/interviews ever produced for a single film on disk 2 & 4. What a set!

Break out the awards for this one.
post #724 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Finest set of docs/interviews ever produced for a single film on disk 2 & 4. What a set!

Break out the awards for this one.

I agree, Eric.
A tremendous accomplishment.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #725 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 04:25 AM

Liked: 10
My copy should arrive this week. Looking forward to watching it; I never seen it nor heard about it until the press release.
post #726 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Just started listening to the boot, it's definitely different, and I like it much better, in fact, I doubt I'll listen to the commercial release ever again.

Okay. I want the bootleg of the soundtrack. From what I've heard there's more than 1. Can I get any recommendations of what to look for and where?

Thanks
post #727 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1davis View Post

Okay. I want the bootleg of the soundtrack. From what I've heard there's more than 1. Can I get any recommendations of what to look for and where?

Thanks

Most of them are crap. People just took the surround channels and made their own bootlegs. IMHO the only real soundtrack is the Gongo one.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #728 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Most of them are crap. People just took the surround channels and made their own bootlegs. IMHO the only real soundtrack is the Gongo one.

Have you heard the Esper Edition? It's supposed to be pretty decent, haven't listened to it myself yet.
post #729 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
PM me with details, please. I would kill for the real music to this film.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
post #730 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, at the expense of getting flamed and razzed around here, I must offer my own impressions of BldeRunner The Final Cut:

Firstly, I did see the original movie in the Theaters in 1982 and did subsequently own the original version of the movie, both on Video and later on DVD. I was never a die hard fan, but still an enthusiast of SciFi movies.

When the whole hype about this movie started to swirl, I revisited the DVD version to re-familiarize myself with the movie. Even revisiting it after so many years, I was not terribly moved, but still found it to be an enjoyable (enough) movie.

On the 19th of this month, I happened to stumble upon the BD Ultimate Edition (briefcase) at my local Borders and with the 40% off coupon in my hands, I found it hard to resist and pass up at just under $60, because of its potential collector's value.

Finally, I watched the directors FC version last night and again, I found it to be an enjoyable enough scifi movie, but not one that I would cream over. I must terribly disagree with the reviewer in here on the HD video quality:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/251/bladerunner.html

I have seen far better HD video qualities that have been rated lowered and I will never consider the HD video to be "reference" material quality, like it is hyped up in that review. The movie itself is quite grainy (I do understand the purpose of it and even if not a fan of grainy movies, I do appreciate their cinematic purpose/use), and there are many dark scenes where there is plenty of detail still lost in the shadows and the dark scenes.

As far as the HD sound quality is concerned, I am neither qualified nor equipped to make a comment. My HD sound gear is rather elementary and I will have to reserve my judgment on that front. Nevertheless, the various music in the movie has always been enjoyable to listen too.

I will be going through the whole sets of 5 disks to try to "understand" the movie a little bit better, but as the FC stood, I could have easily lived without it. The most interesting aspect of the movie for me personally was this:

Obviously with the lack of any advanced CGI in the early 80s (on any CGI for that matter), it was interesting to appreciate the way that they had to make mock up models and sets, that perceived the "future" according to the filmmakers' collective perception. Also all the "futuristic" gizmos and gadgets in this movie look so interesting, because they all miss the mark, if compared to todays standards.

In the final analysis, there is plenty of nostalgic value for the enthusiasts and the collectors alike, but it is not a movie which you'd want to share with someone who is not in that "realm". Not one for the none enthusiast and for fans only, IMHO!.

Now, please feel free to flame away and before you ask, no!, my UE copies are not for sale

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
post #731 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Lot's of people don't like Film Noir either.

There is much to consider and debate in this movie. There are many layers. That's part of what makes it great.
post #732 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Lot's of people don't like Film Noir either.

There is much to consider and debate in this movie. There are many layers. That's part of what makes it great.

Very true, but my main contention is not even the like/dislike of the movie, but the very lofty 5 star as far as the HD video quality goes.

Granted that I do not have the best gear when it comes to HDTV, but what I have is no chump change either and my gear is also reasonably well calibrated.

BladeRunner did pave the way for some future Sci-Fi movies as it took a big and bold move in its days. However, there was a reason as to why this movie was never a big hit with mass audiences. It is still a specialty movie for the connoisseur and not necessarily a "Must Own" as rated.

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
post #733 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The video does not deserve a 5 in regards to actual clarity compared to other film HD releases. But it does deserve a 5 compared to other 'Blade Runner' releases.

post #734 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

The video does not deserve a 5 in regards to actual clarity compared to other film HD releases. But it does deserve a 5 compared to other 'Blade Runner' releases.

To look at it in that manner, it drastically lowers the bar and the standards for future reviews. IMO, the reviewer is definitely a die-hard fan who got swayed by his bias and did not apply his true critical savvy.

post #735 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It doesn't lower the bar if you state it that way. But he is not, so he is wrong.

post #736 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

The older Vangelis disc does not have the very beginning music of the film, it starts with a Ford voiceover over synth chords then blends into when we first see the city with the arpeggiated chord. I mean the very beginning music with the sparse bare synth line over the credits.

Right you are Dave! The commercial releases are woefully incomplete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Have you heard the Esper Edition? It's supposed to be pretty decent, haven't listened to it myself yet.

According to the Wiki, the Esper Edition contains the music from the Gongo release and more. I've "found" it and can't wait to hear it. Thanks to all for your help.
post #737 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

According to the Wiki, the Esper Edition contains the music from the Gongo release and more. I've "found" it and can't wait to hear it. Thanks to all for your help.

The Esper edition that I downloaded had effects and dialogue all over it.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #738 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfilmguy View Post

This just arrived from Amazon (The Complete Collection, no briefcase). Discs 2 and 5 were loose, and 2 a little scratched, but I checked and it plays okay. I also checked disc 5 and it is the correct Workprint version with the LAD logo on white and the basic Dolby Digital soundtrack. I'm looking forward to sitting down with this set and getting lost in it. : )

When did you order yours? Ordered mine from Amazon back in Dec 9th. Shipped only yesterday. No clue when it will arrive ... I'm beginning to dislike Amazon and their delay tactic trying get people to sign up for their prime membership.
post #739 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

Some people need help with the basics
post #740 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I agree, Eric.
A tremendous accomplishment.

Comments from Guillermo del Toro really capped the doc on disk 4.

The Métal Hurlant references in many places is cool.
Ridley paid his respects in the past docs. Druillet, Dionnet, Moebius, etc. The vision is drawn from those great artists, and from the mid 70s. You can see it all over Sid Mead's work for this and Aliens.
post #741 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just finished watching it.

My initial reaction: I am simply ecstatic! I really couldn't be happier. This has exceeded my expectations in every aspect.

Not only is the PQ very good (this is by far the best I have ever seen this great film look), but the TrueHD soundtrack is stunning! Huge improvement in audio (despite the fact that there is still a limit based on the original recording). The Vangelis score comes through superbly.

As a huge fan of this movie, I am extremely happy and satisfied. This is what fans of this movie have been waiting for, and it is finally here.

This is already my favorite HDM release that I own, and I haven't even touched the extras yet!

And damn: what a f'ing great movie!

Highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #742 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 06:40 PM

I bought it and was contemplating returning it for Pan's but I am glad I read your^ review, Thanks!
post #743 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post

Some people need help with the basics

Go ahead and rationalize away, if it makes you happy Merry Christmas

post #744 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyro View Post

I bought it and was contemplating returning it for Pan's but I am glad I read your^ review, Thanks!

If you are a fan of the movie, I can't imagine that you would be disappointed!
post #745 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd be willing to think the Criterion LD isn't worth much anymore. Probably a few greedy ebay sellers are stuck with them now.
post #746 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The soundtrack discs that are currently available aren't bad, but they are far from complete.

They do, however, contain the music that plays during the opening of the film. In fact, it's the first track. The actual music starts about 90 seconds into the track.

I have the older, single disc edition. Is there anything on the other two CD's that warrants a purchase?

Recieved it, nice package, booklet, 3 diffierent color disc...disk 3 which is all new music inspired by the final cut is simply amazing....now the thing about V is that it takes time to appreicate his music and mulitiple listens help...simply put my highest recommendation and it is the best CD set of the year ....BY FAR

PS: my amazon brief case is in......wow....the extras are really worth it.
post #747 of 1323 Old 12-23-2007, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

I own 3 different versions of the bootlegs and let me tell you..dont waste your time with inferior recorrdings or laser disc replays...check out the new 3 disc set which only amazon has.
post #748 of 1323 Old 12-24-2007, 02:20 AM

098371 ))))

Primary: Sony BRAVIA KDL-46NX720 / Pioneer VSX-LX53 / Marantz NA7004 / Quadral Platinum M4 / Fat PS3

Secondary: Pioneer KURO PDP-LX608D / Pioneer VSX-LX70 / Pioneer BDP-LX55 / KEF KHT-3005 / Thomson DSI-4000NTV

post #749 of 1323 Old 12-24-2007, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner7 View Post

I own 3 different versions of the bootlegs and let me tell you..dont waste your time with inferior recorrdings or laser disc replays...check out the new 3 disc set which only amazon has.

Which is incomplete crap.

post #750 of 1323 Old 12-24-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The atmospheric bass effects were overpoweringly heavy at times (I even turned back my sub a notch)- they really went liberal with that in the remastering (mind you, I'm not really complaining, per se). The gunshot sounds from Decker's blaster were also quite potent.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page