post #91 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Remind me why it's so terrible to be a casual fan?

No one said it was.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MrGonk and swanlee have made cleared up the issue of casual fan quite well. I get what you guys are saying. If there were a 5 disc set of GoodFellas with multiple cuts of the film included then yeah I'd go apeshit over it. I had mistakenly thought you guys were referring to those who did not care about the extras themselves, but yeah alternate cuts of a movie you love are enough to make an expensive box set a must buy!
post #93 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remind me why it's so terrible to be a casual fan?

it ain't.

Quote:

If there were a 5 disc set of GoodFellas with multiple cuts of the film included then yeah I'd go apeshit over it.

precisely. to put it in perspective: if they offered a limited edition of JUST THE WORKPRINT on hd-dvd in that briefcase, i'd still shell out pretty much whatever they asked for it. but that's just me. maybe i'm a little loopy. but hey, blade runner is my sentimental favorite flick of all time.

they really should offer a version that includes paul m. sammon's "future noir: the making of blade runner." that's all the supplement you need.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #94 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to include a full workprint of a movie like this is pretty much un heard of and very cool for them to give us insight into a really rough version of the movie.

Fox did the same thing with Alien 3, and it was really fascinating. I can't wait to see the workprint of Blade Runner. It's something that I never thought we would see officially.
post #95 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

Fox did the same thing with Alien 3, and it was really fascinating. I can't wait to see the workprint of Blade Runner. It's something that I never thought we would see officially.

hah, as far as i'm concerned, that "workprint" of alien 3 is the canonical version of the movie. it's certainly the best version of it. although it's technically referred to as a workprint, i think that's a little bit of a misnomer on fox's part. as weird as it sounds, it's basically an unauthorized director's cut. fincher refused to get involved with the dvd project because i imagine he'd probably rather gouge his own eyes out than try to deal with fox on alien 3 again, so they used fincher's workprint as a template to assemble an extended cut of the film. most workprints are way rougher than what you saw there, because it's basically a polished, finished movie in the vein of what fincher was pursuing with his first cut of the film before fox made him gut it.

the blade runner workprint, i imagine, will not be like the alien 3 workprint. it uses temp music over a good chunk of the film and is edited differently. from what i've heard, the blade runner workprint is noticeably a much harsher, less elegant film than the other cuts, and that most of that difference in vibe comes from less precise editing. it is legitimately an unfinished film.

but hey, geishas in hockey masks, man. how can you go wrong?

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
post #96 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'm really warming up to those Geishas in Hockey Masks
post #97 of 1323 Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A bit of topic, has Harryson Ford ever done a commentary track? It would be interesting to hear some of his views on this film.
post #98 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

Until then if your whining about the 5 disc set you are casual about this movie and should be ok for the 2 disc DVD version or just wait for the single version to come out.

See if your a huge fan of the movie you wouldn't be complaining about this awesome boxset, if your not a huge fan you shouldn't care enough and should just wait for a single release or buy the DVD set.

LOL!
You have become quite the comedian around here.
If you aren't bashing BD in some way, you are bashing BD posters...
Keep up the good work....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #99 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

Me too! (I was tempted to buy a DVD-R of the workprint version on e-bay a couple times)
post #100 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

"LOL!
Keep up the good work.."

Whatever, apparently to you I'm not allowed to express any opinion on a message board. At least my posts in this thread have been on topic unlike your post and I'm very excited about this release. If you got a problem with me ignore my posts or you can pretty much go to he** for all I care.

Studios should be praised for putting out no holds barred sets for classic movies like this. Everyone involved has put in a lot of work and time to give Blade Runner fans a huge box set with a lot of amazing extras that many of us NEVER thought we would see. It's sad people would complain about that.
post #101 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

A bit of topic, has Harryson Ford ever done a commentary track? It would be interesting to hear some of his views on this film.

Nope.

And I don't think this would be the one he'd start on. He's known for hating it.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
post #102 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surap View Post

Harrison is on board for this release with interviews, recent and past. No commentary so far.
post #103 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL!
Keep up the good work....

oink... i have no idea how blu-ray hatred could possibly have factored into the man's comments, which were unrelated to formats and perfectly valid within the contest of this discussion.

please, please do not bring the format war into this thread. i really like the 8% of all threads that remain free from that kind of talk.

"Shoot it."
post #104 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Nope.

And I don't think this would be the one he'd start on. He's known for hating it.

Ok, Thanks.
post #105 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Trailer is up for the Dangerous Days documentary...

You'll also find 3 scenes. They look and sound FANTASTIC.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800037822/video/#3485021

post #106 of 1323 Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

thanks Craig!
Wow! Joanna Cassidy is Still a hottie!

And more Adama, err, Ganz, err, Olmos? Makes sense. Great character and the actor is huge now.

post #107 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:

Whatever, apparently to you I'm not allowed to express any opinion on a message board. At least my posts in this thread have been on topic unlike your post and I'm very excited about this release. If you got a problem with me ignore my posts or you can pretty much go to he** for all I care.

Well, at least you do care (even if it is to condemn me to an eternity of torment).
BTW, you and my ex-wife have something in common.

I CARE when you appointed yourself THE DECIDER on who is or is not a "huge fan" of Blade Runner.
This has costed many of us around here to lose sleep, as well as a loss of confidence in our opinions concerning BR.

And now, I'll try to cry myself to sleep....again....

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #108 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

they changed the unicorn scene. nice. i like it.

i know they changed the zhora-through-plate-glass scene too, it's just hard to pinpoint exactly which shots have been altered or replaced.

and some of that footage in the documentary i've never heard about... like that shot of gaff layin' down some more cityspeak.

and only now did i notice that the workprint has a commentary by paul m. sammon. honestly, these guys thought of everything ... that fifth disc is going to be amazing.

"Shoot it."
post #109 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

"I CARE when you appointed yourself THE DECIDER on who is or is not a "huge fan" of Blade Runner."

Whatever put me on ignore then, my posts were on topic and had nothing to do with the format war, so now you change it to something else, talk to the mods if you got a problem with my posts, your post was a personal attack and completely off topic.

It's pretty simple that if your a big fan of the movie and have followed it for decades like some of us that you should be interested in the 5 dics box set, if your not a big fan then you can wait for the single release that will probably come out or buy the single disc on ebay as people will probably sell off parts of the set there. Either way your not adding anything to this thread accept personally attacking me.
post #110 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

"You'll also find 3 scenes. They look and sound FANTASTIC."

Wow they do look great even on a web stream, that web stream looked better than any of the previous DVD releases, the HD version should look amazing at home.
post #111 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScottyL View Post

Yeah, it would be nice if they show it in other places as well! I would love to catch this in a theater.

I agree. With more than 2 months between this theatrical release (Oct 5) and the home video release (Dec 18), hopefully they will expand beyond NY/LA to at least other major cities.

I never saw the movie on the big screen. I'd hate to be forced to fly to NY but I don't wanna miss it.
post #112 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Awww, go for it!

My old hometown! Get some good NY Pizza while you're there!!!

post #113 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Wow! Joanna Cassidy is Still a hottie!

Oh Ridley? Could we have some of that `Take Pleasure From The Serpant' ? What did Deckard See over that bar?

post #114 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow they do look great even on a web stream, that web stream looked better than any of the previous DVD releases, the HD version should look amazing at home.

Exactly. The sound mix is DEFINITELY different. This is going to be an entirely new experience. I'm going to be there opening night at the Ziegfeld!!

post #115 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

"Exactly. The sound mix is DEFINITELY different"

Yeah I noticed that to looks like it's going to add to the dark mood of the movie alot, I always thought the music soundtrack was buried a bit which was a shame because of the great work Vangelis did on it.
post #116 of 1323 Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Exactly. The sound mix is DEFINITELY different. This is going to be an entirely new experience. I'm going to be there opening night at the Ziegfeld!!

I'll be right there with ya in spirit, dude!
Popcorn and soda please!

post #117 of 1323 Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM

There are new deets up about the Final Cut, Deleted Scenes and Extras from The Digital Bits' conference at Comic-Con. Scenes from the discs were shown (primarily deleted scenes and behind the scenes footage) and they are described here in quite a bit of detail.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Unfortunately, this is a generic link - after today, you'll have to move a little further down to see the entry. I don't see where they do permanent links on the site.

This is exciting news for fans of BR!!
post #118 of 1323 Old 07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

very cool...
post #119 of 1323 Old 07-30-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1davis View Post

There are new deets up about the Final Cut, Deleted Scenes and Extras from The Digital Bits' conference at Comic-Con. Scenes from the discs were shown (primarily deleted scenes and behind the scenes footage) and they are described here in quite a bit of detail.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Unfortunately, this is a generic link - after today, you'll have to move a little further down to see the entry. I don't see where they do permanent links on the site.

This is exciting news for fans of BR!!

Don't see any specific information there. hum.

post #120 of 1323 Old 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The digital bits bit...

(LATE UPDATE - 7/30/07 - 1:30 PM PDT)

Okay. Comic-Con. There's a lot of ground to cover, so let's take it from the beginning.

First though, a quick correction: The Blade Runner press release which we posted on Thursday contained one error - the running time for The Final Cut should be 117 minutes... not 157 as was shown on the press release. We've corrected our text, but we just wanted to let you know.

Now then... our panel. As we noted earlier, DVD Sneak Peek 2007 was one of the first events on the Con schedule on Thursday morning. As it started just an hour after the convention doors opened, Todd and I were a little worried that we'd have a hard time filling the panel room. Turns out we had no need to worry. The 500-seat room was packed when we started and people kept filing in as the hour progressed. By the end, it was standing room only. And we definitely rewarded those in attendance for their time.

After the usual introductions, the panel started out with DVD producer Robert Meyer Burnett talking about his work on New Line's Shoot 'Em Up. Then we surprised the audience with the director of the film himself, Michael Davis, who popped in to say hello and show a funny clip he'd prepared. Davis really got the crowd going. He was very friendly and animated - a great guy (and Michael, if you're reading this, thanks again for dropping by). Robert then talked about another film he's been working on himself, but when we attempted to show the trailer he'd brought, it turned out that there was no audio on the disc. D'oh!

Next up was Javier Soto, who talked a bit about the DVD he's currently working on... Hellboy 2, which director Guillermo del Toro is currently filming in Hungary. Javier spoke about his plans for the DVD and high-def versions, which include the possibility of a short film that will help bridge the gap between the two features and introduce some of the new characters. He also hinted that he's getting ready to start working on an elaborate special edition for the only del Toro film that's yet to receive such deluxe treatment on DVD. He couldn't say what it was specifically, but he gave enough clues for us to guess that it's probably Mimic. So watch for that sometime next year.

Of course, as expected, our panel this year was pretty much set to be the Charles de Lauzirika show. Charlie started by giving the crowd details about the forthcoming Twin Peaks: The Complete Series box set that he's been working on for CBS/Paramount. The set (which will be announced soon for release later this year) will include both seasons of the show as well as both versions of the pilot episode, along with deleted scenes from various episodes and tons of new extras created just for this set. He then gave the crowd the first look at some of the documentary footage he's assembled, which in this case included a few minutes of the cast and crew attempting to answer the question "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" and a bit of a roundtable discussion he put together with David Lynch, Kyle MacLachlan and other cast and crew members. The crowd definitely responded with excitement to both the news and the footage.

But by far the biggest response was to what came next: Charlie broke the official news on the long awaited Blade Runner: The Final Cut from Warner. He talked about the FIVE different versions of the film that will be on the release, the different versions of the release itself (2-disc, 4-disc and 5-disc DVDs, along with 5-disc Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions - extras on both high-def versions will be exactly the same - and the elaborate collector's case versions). You can find all the official details and artwork here. He then revealed that over 80 people were interviewed for the set, from Ridley Scott to virtually everyone associated with the production including Harrison Ford and all the major cast members. In terms of footage, he started by showing the Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner trailer (which you can all see for yourselves on Disc Two of Warner's 300 DVD - it streets tomorrow).

Next, Charlie revealed that the set will also include a whopping 47 minutes worth of deleted scenes, not seen in any previous version of the film. He then proceeded to debut an exclusive clip of some of this deleted footage. Now... Todd and I had the chance to preview all 47 minutes of this deleted material on Wednesday night, before our panel, and I can tell you first-hand that you have absolutely NO IDEA just how cool this material is. It's not just 47 minutes worth of deleted material - it's like getting a 5½ th or a 6th version of the film itself. The material is all edited together chronologically, to create an encapsulated version of the story. It starts with a completely new opening credits scene and new special effects shots of the 2019 L.A. cityscape. Then you get scenes you've seen before... but it's all put together using alternate takes, different camera angles and other completely unused footage. There are also a number of true deleted scenes, including a few that no one outside the production even knew existed before. All of this is set to music from the film and newly-looped sound effects... as well as Harrison Ford's voiceover narration. But get this: This narration is a completely different take than what was in the original theatrical version of the film, and it's just totally different. Different lines, different dialogue. We think it's actually BETTER than what was ultimately used in the film!

Let me give you just a couple examples of some of the things you're going to see: Turns out Deckard had a wife, who now lives in one of the off-world colonies - you see a picture of her and Deckard together (except that, if my memory doesn't fail me, the picture is set on the same porch as Rachel's photograph of herself with her mother - consider the implications of that). There's also a brief scene, after Batty has killed Tyrell, where he gets back into the elevator and he's shaking - he's clearly disturbed at what he's just done. The elevator announces the floor in a computerized female voice, and Batty looks up at the speaker and says "Mother?" in this sort of child-like daze. Rutger Hauer's performance is just perfect. There's even two alternate endings, in which Deckard and Rachel have dialogue while driving off in Deckard's car. And this is all just scratching the surface. I'm telling you, this stuff is absolutely amazing. If you think you know everything there is to know about Blade Runner, you are in for a REAL shock. Todd and I were just stunned after we finished watching this stuff. And keep in mind, every bit of this footage was shot by Ridley Scott in his prime... so it's just gorgeous. My head is still spinning over it all.

The final bit of footage that Charlie previewed exclusively for the crowd, was a behind-the-scenes look at the infamous reshoot from earlier this year featuring Joanna Cassidy's character Zhora. Now, when news of this reshoot leaked on the Net, it sparked an outcry from fans who feared that Scott was pulling a George Lucas and drastically altering the film with all new effects or something. Turns out, nothing could be further from the truth. The Final Cut of the film itself has been edited a tiny bit, with a couple of new scenes added and a little bit of footage excised. But the new effects tweaks are very minor. For example, in many shots involving the practical, on-set Spinner, you can see the suspension cables holding it in the air. These have been removed. In a couple instances members of the camera crew were accidentally captured on the edges of the frame, so they've been removed. And there's an instance where Harrison Ford's dialogue doesn't match his lip movements on screen (a shot through the glass as he's talking to the snake dealer), so Harrison Ford's son, Ben Ford, was brought in. He was dressed in the costume and was given the same scar on his chin as his father via make-up. His face was then shot (at the correct angle, under matching lighting) reading the same lines, and his mouth and chin were inserted over his father's so the lip-synch now matches. It's absolutely seamless.

But the Zhora reshoot was what triggered the most controversy, so here's what it was about: Back in 1982, actress Joanna Cassidy wasn't allowed to do the stunt where Zhora crashes through the window panes. But if you watch the film closely, especially now in high-definition, it's painfully obvious that it's a stuntwoman in those shots. I mean, it's not even close. The woman has a bad afro-like wig on and it's bouncing around so much in those shots that it looks like Ronald McDonald going through the glass. So Cassidy was brought back in, dressed in her original costume and was given the same snake tattoo on her face. Then she was shot on a greenscreen stage, going through the same movements as the stunt woman. Her face and body angles were matched to the original stunt woman frame by frame, so they're identical. Then, Cassidy's head was digitally inserted over the stunt woman's and it was blended together, color-corrected and matched seamlessly. So now, when you see Zhora crash through the glass, it's actually Zhora all the way through. Charlie showed the behind-the-scenes at our panel, and then at the official Warner panel the next day, he showed the final shot. And again, it's amazing. The first time I saw this finished sequence a few months ago, I was actively looking for the effect... and I completely missed it. That's how good a job the CG team has done on this. It was only after going back and looking at the original shots on DVD that I realized what a big difference there was, and I was just floored.

On the whole, our DVD Sneak Panel was a huge success. We had a few tiny problems with the DVD player that was on hand to show the clips, but fortunately, the Comic-Con people were able to swap a malfunctioning unit out with a good replacement, so we were able to show virtually everything we'd planned to. And the crowd reaction was really terrific. I know that Charlie and his assistant producer, Paul Prischman, were both really pleased with the crowd reaction to the Blade Runner footage they'd brought. They've been working on this release for years now - the project actually first started back in 2000 - and this was the first time they'd gotten to see a public reaction to any of it. And as long as I've known Charlie, Blade Runner has been the one title he's most wanted to tackle as a special edition. I think you guys are going to agree that Charlie, Paul and the rest of their DVD team have really knocked it out of the park. It was really a special hour for all of us. Our thanks again to Robert, Javier, Michael, Charlie, Paul and everyone at Warner, CBS/Paramount and Comic-Con who made the event possible.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page