Blade Runner: The Final Cut - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wildfire99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Wet Northwest
Posts: 1,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Once again, considering most BDs that are 2 disc list for $34.99 to $39.99, are we SURE that all 5 discs will be HD discs and that all the versions and docs are in HD....?!?!?!? How can they make ANY $ on this...?!?!?

Because it doesn't really cost that much to press an HD disc, and we're just being gouged because the studios feel like it?
wildfire99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
possible...
but they must know they could charge alot more than this for 5 HD discs!
The WB title "The Departed" lists for $34.95, the HDdvd combo for $39.95 and that's for ONE disc...!

Something is awry. Either the price IS totally wrong and will be more like $59.99 list or I'll bet that most of these discs will be SD, like in The Matrix ultimate collection where all the extras were SD.
Dave Mack is offline  
post #183 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
SC0TLANDF0REVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This will officially be my first pre-order from Amazon (BD UCE).

Ðave -
It was technically a single shenanigan, more like a hijink...

SC0TLANDF0REVER is offline  
post #184 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
patrick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Five BR discs for 27.95! This should render the whole "why isn't WB issuing a one-disc version" debate a dead issue.

Yes, it should.
patrick99 is offline  
post #185 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any confirmation that every version of Blade Runner in the 5 disc set will be in HD?
swanlee is offline  
post #186 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalfreakNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

Is there any confirmation that every version of Blade Runner in the 5 disc set will be in HD?

There's absolutely no reason to think they wouldn't be.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
DigitalfreakNYC is online now  
post #187 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
patrick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,912
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

There's absolutely no reason to think they wouldn't be.

Except the price.
patrick99 is offline  
post #188 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Greg Kettell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even if it was just the Final Cut it'd be worth that price.

If the movies on Disc 3 are HD they must use seamless branching. The HD DVD has the same content. Come to think of it, so does the DVD version. Perhaps they ARE all in SD. Hmm, that would really suck.
Greg Kettell is offline  
post #189 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalfreakNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick99 View Post

Except the price.

Because we've had a set like this come out before?

Nope.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
DigitalfreakNYC is online now  
post #190 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I haven't seen ANYTHING that says all the versions will be in HD.
Honestly, how can they charge so little...? Shoot, how much was "The Matrix" set again...?

List was $99.99 for only 3 HDdvd discs and that's also WB.

The Complete Matrix Trilogy [HD DVD]
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss Director: Andy Wachowski Rating R


List Price: $99.99
Price: $63.95 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save: $36.04 (36%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

That's why I think it's either a pricing mistake or only one, maybe 2 discs will be HD
Dave Mack is offline  
post #191 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalfreakNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That was 3 different movies. This is 1.

There is absolutely no reason to think that most of the discs WON'T be in HD.

The documentary is new so that should be in HD. The Final cut has been remastered so that will be in HD. The DC was just remastered so that will be in HD as well and will be probably be used as the "master" for all 3 of the versions on that disc: theatrical, international and DC. The workprint MIGHT not be HD but we'll have to wait and see.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
DigitalfreakNYC is online now  
post #192 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post


There is absolutely no reason to think that most of the discs will be in HD.


Hey, you said it...

Dave Mack is offline  
post #193 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
swanlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know who we can contact to find out? I would be bummed if only the final cut was in HD, I enjoy each version of the movie and would prefer them all to be in HD, the price though makes me think it is 1 HD disc and 4 SD-DVD's of bonus material.

If it is all in HD this set is not only the most extravagant box set but the best priced box set for what you get. If it's all in HD WB should get some major props, if not then I'm a tad bummed but still going to enjoy this set.
swanlee is offline  
post #194 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
agreed, swanlee.
If this price DOES stick and it all IS in HD, WB is amazing.

Dave Mack is offline  
post #195 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigitalfreakNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Hey, you said it...


That's why I shouldn't be on AVS at work.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
DigitalfreakNYC is online now  
post #196 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
true...!

Dave Mack is offline  
post #197 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RockStrongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think its possible that some versions of the movie aren't HD, but my bet would be that they are.

The only reason Animatrix wasn't hd in the matrix trilogy was because they couldnt find a hd master of it.

BUT, the price is definately scary.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
RockStrongo is offline  
post #198 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
scary good, though!

Dave Mack is offline  
post #199 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrGonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post

I think its possible that some versions of the movie aren't HD, but my bet would be that they are.

The only reason Animatrix wasn't hd in the matrix trilogy was because they couldnt find a hd master of it.

BUT, the price is definately scary.

on the subject of the different cuts being in hd, let me submit this evidence:

warner re-released 1992 director's cut dvd last september. the only change? the video was from a new high-definition transfer.

so there's a high-def master of the director's cut. it stands to reason that, having an hd master, they would include the director's cut in high def.

the director's cut seamlessly branches with the international and domestic cuts (there's literally something like 90 seconds of difference in something like a half dozen total scenes). thus, if the director's cut is high def, it stands to reason that the other cuts would also be high-def as well.

as for the workprint, that's more of a question mark. however, there was no known film-to-video transfer of the workprint cut in existence before this set was created, and they did all of the new transfers for this set in high def. so it stands to reason that the workprint will also be in high def (hey, it would probably require even more work to include only a standard-def version of the workprint, right?) but don't expect its picture quality to be great regardless -- it's an old assembly and the print may not be in stellar condition. it's not included as one of the canonical cuts of the film, it's included as a special feature.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
MrGonk is offline  
post #200 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGonk View Post

on the subject of the different cuts being in hd, let me submit this evidence:

warner re-released 1992 director's cut dvd last september. the only change? the video was from a new high-definition transfer.

so there's a high-def master of the director's cut. it stands to reason that, having an hd master, they would include the director's cut in high def.

the director's cut seamlessly branches with the international and domestic cuts (there's literally something like 90 seconds of difference in something like a half dozen total scenes). thus, if the director's cut is high def, it stands to reason that the other cuts would also be high-def as well.

as for the workprint, that's more of a question mark. however, there was no known film-to-video transfer of the workprint cut in existence before this set was created, and they did all of the new transfers for this set in high def. so it stands to reason that the workprint will also be in high def (hey, it would probably require even more work to include only a standard-def version of the workprint, right?) but don't expect its picture quality to be great regardless -- it's an old assembly and the print may not be in stellar condition. it's not included as one of the canonical cuts of the film, it's included as a special feature.


This rocks ...I hope you are 100% correct on this one. For $27 all 5 Blu-Ray's in HD Can't beat that...
Supermans is offline  
post #201 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We don't yet know if ALL of the versions will be in HD.
I'd say it is safe to say that at least 2 discs will definitely be HD.
Also, the $39.95 list is awful low...
Dave Mack is offline  
post #202 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RockStrongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the digital bits...

"Chief among these, is will all of the versions of the film and all of the special features on the HD versions of Blade Runner be in actual 1080, or will they be like Warner's Matrix releases... films only in HD and extras in SD. Now, I've been told that at the very least all of the different versions of the film itself will be in 1080. And I know that all of the video extras - the documentary, etc - are being mastered in 1080. The question is whether or not the disc capacities of HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc will allow for everything to be included in 1080"

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
RockStrongo is offline  
post #203 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks, Rock.
So at this point I think they really should put it all out in HD, unless they try to save some $.
I would think we're good. Now it REALLY makes me wonder if that price will stick...

Dave Mack is offline  
post #204 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
k1davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe the price either. I guess it is a valid point that there is *technically* only 1 movie in the set, but still.....

I always thought that every version of the film would be in HD and I'm really excited that "Dangerous Days" the (3 hour?) documentary is also "being mastered in 1080".

Amazon has even updated the listing and added a pix of the briefcase to the Ultimate Collectors Edition. The price remains the same. It's looking more & more like it's not a mistake, but even if it is Amazon should deliver what they promised.
k1davis is offline  
post #205 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MrGonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1davis View Post

I can't believe the price either. I guess it is a valid point that there is *technically* only 1 movie in the set, but still.....

I always thought that every version of the film would be in HD and I'm really excited that "Dangerous Days" the (3 hour?) documentary is also "being mastered in 1080".

Amazon has even updated the listing and added a pix of the briefcase to the Ultimate Collectors Edition. The price remains the same. It's looking more & more like it's not a mistake, but even if it is Amazon should deliver what they promised.

hey... three and a HALF hours. haha.

this set honestly is just too good to be true. i am the hardest of hardcore blade runner fans. i own two copies of the criterion CAV laserdisc, the REALLY obscure original full-frame domestic cut laserdisc (the only home video release of the domestic cut ever), the remastered 10th anniversary edition VHS international cut tape, the SVHS international cut tape (great pq, btw), both single-disc DVD releases, and a... uh... collector's set i bought on e-bay that had some um... poorly mastered exclusive materials. you know, probably from an eastern distributor or something, i don't know. ahem....

oh, and of course "future noir: the making of blade runner"

the point is, i'm probably insane and i'm as big a fan of this movie as there is. and i honestly can't think of anything they should have included in this release that they didn't, including things i didn't think were possible -- like nearly an hour of deleted scenes (which have never even so much as been presumed to exist!), or an exhaustive documentary about the movie that's twice as long as the movie, or literally every cut ever produced in top-notch quality... or a commentary track by paul m. sammon... the true blade runner scholar. i mean, this is absolute genius!

honestly, it's really just too damned good to be true. it's better than any of us could have asked for.

i just know that jerry perenchio is going to sweep in at the last minute and file an injunction preventing them from releasing it.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
MrGonk is offline  
post #206 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Member
 
k1davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGonk View Post

honestly, it's really just too damned good to be true. it's better than any of us could have asked for.

i just know that jerry perenchio is going to sweep in at the last minute and file an injunction preventing them from releasing it.

"Shut cho mouf!!" (Shaft)

I could not agree more... except for that last part. Jerry would be soliciting a world of pain. (kidding... sorta)
k1davis is offline  
post #207 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
rdodolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How is this a pricing error? Amazon isn't the only online site listing this for preorder at similiar price including Warner Bros.

Warner Bros. DVD Shop - Blade Runner

Blade Runner: 5-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition
DVD - $59.95
HD DVD - $79.95
Blu-ray - $ 79.95

Blade Runner: Complete Collector's Edition
HD DVD - $29.95
Blu-ray - $29.95
rdodolak is offline  
post #208 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Dave Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It could be a pricing error from WB...

The press release issued just a few days ago from WB had price as TBD....


BLADE RUNNER: COMPLETE COLLECTOR'S EDITION HD (5-DISC)
$TBD
HD Catalog #118573
Packaging: Digi-Pak with Collectible Slipcase

BLADE RUNNER: COMPLETE COLLECTOR'S EDITION BD (5-DISC)
$TBD
BD Catalog #118574
Packaging: Digi-Pak with Collectible Slipcase

BLADE RUNNER: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION HD-DVD (5-DISC)
Limited Numbered Edition in "Deckard Briefcase" w/Collectible Memorabilia
$TBD
HD Catalog #118571

BLADE RUNNER: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION BLU-RAY DISC (5-DISC)
Limited Numbered Edition in "Deckard Briefcase" w/Collectible Memorabilia
$TBD
BD Catalog #118572
Dave Mack is offline  
post #209 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
rdodolak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

It could be a pricing error from WB...

The press release issued just a few days ago from WB had price as TBD....


BLADE RUNNER: COMPLETE COLLECTOR'S EDITION HD (5-DISC)
$TBD
HD Catalog #118573
Packaging: Digi-Pak with Collectible Slipcase

BLADE RUNNER: COMPLETE COLLECTOR'S EDITION BD (5-DISC)
$TBD
BD Catalog #118574
Packaging: Digi-Pak with Collectible Slipcase

BLADE RUNNER: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION HD-DVD (5-DISC)
Limited Numbered Edition in "Deckard Briefcase" w/Collectible Memorabilia
$TBD
HD Catalog #118571

BLADE RUNNER: ULTIMATE COLLECTOR'S EDITION BLU-RAY DISC (5-DISC)
Limited Numbered Edition in "Deckard Briefcase" w/Collectible Memorabilia
$TBD
BD Catalog #118572

Sure a possibilty always exists, but that press release was released 7 days ago. The current prices being posted online started to show up after that press release was released.

Again I see a lot of discussion about Amazon, but they aren't the only one releasing similar info. At a minimum I'd guess the info came from Warner in some shape or form. That doesn't mean it couldn't change, but with Warner showing similar info online it would appear that the odds that the pricing is correct has increased.
rdodolak is offline  
post #210 of 1323 Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 26,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Either A....this is a pricing error,
or B....the specs for this release is in error,
or C....Warner just dug its way out of a hole with BD consumers.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
oink is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off