BDA counter predictions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was the Fox announcement really it? Is there more major announcements on the way from Sony, and Disney including all studios under them? What will Warner Bros position be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

I think the only way to properly counter that is to open up discussions with HD-DVD on unifying the format. This war will last too long and kill both sides before they make any profit.
post #3 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway View Post

I think the only way to properly counter that is to open up discussions with HD-DVD on unifying the format. This war will last too long and kill both sides before they make any profit.

While I at least partly agree with you, I think we are too far into the game for that to happen.
post #4 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

I think both red and blue sides can agree that we can make sacrifices.

Bluray's 50 gig disc, with anti-coating technology with

HD-DVD's finalized spec...

Brand new format. Wa-lah!
post #5 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That would indeed be nice.
post #6 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And millions of discs already in the market place that won't play on anything...
post #7 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Those 'millions' of discs can be sold off at a reduced price.

We need to look into the future while the market is still small. If we wait too long, there'll be 10s of millions of discs.

A new disc that can be played in both players ? Hells Yes.

Red - Blue- whatever, your just another fellow video quality enthusiast. We need to petition, riot, do what we can.
post #8 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 06:56 PM

The easier approach is for the overwhelming number of studios and manufacturers in the Blu-ray camp to make price concessions and release a ton of titles over the next few months. Blu-ray is still gonna prevail. That contract Paramount got is so full of loopholes it looks like swiss cheese! Why do you suppose they did that? Because they think HD DVD is better? It is as plain as the nose on your face.... 18 months till HD DVD is dead and buried.
post #9 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1

But both sides would have to give up the most important spec...Greed.
post #10 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post

The easier approach is for the overwhelming number of studios and manufacturers in the Blu-ray camp to make price concessions and release a ton of titles over the next few months. Blu-ray is still gonna prevail. That contract Paramount got is so full of loopholes it looks like swiss cheese! Why do you suppose they did that? Because they think HD DVD is better? It is as plain as the nose on your face.... 18 months till HD DVD is dead and buried.

18 months is a myth.

Just read a quote from the CTO of Paramount. The BR disk production ban is "indefinite" ... see other threads for the link to this interview done by PC World.
post #11 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys I am around 24 to 48 hours away from being able to report a MAJOR Blu-ray announcement. I have learned today from a BDA insider that this Paramount development was actually a pre-emptive strike to counter a soon to be made MAJOR annoucement from the BDA.

Assuming everything falls in place as this insider expects, it will be the biggest shot fired thus far in this format war. If this contract can be secured by the BDA this will be the end of this format war, no doubt.

As soon as I get the OK, I will post here in the Blu-ray section. If this happens it gives me new hope that HDM will survive.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #12 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Guys I am around 24 to 48 hours away from being able to report a MAJOR Blu-ray announcement. I have learned today from a BDA insider that this Paramount development was actually a pre-emptive strike to counter a soon to be made MAJOR annoucement from the BDA.

Assuming everything falls in place as this insider expects, it will be the biggest shot fired thus far in this format war. If this contract can be secured by the BDA this will be the end of this format war, no doubt.

As soon as I get the OK, I will post here in the Blu-ray section. If this happens it gives me new hope that HDM will survive.

~Josh

great news.. can't wait to hear it!
post #13 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

~Josh

You sir...have my undivided attention

In fact...you got me salivating

And end to this silly war? MUSIC to my ears!

Let's hope whatever this is holds true and we can all put this non-sense behind us...
post #14 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:

~Josh

Before all the the Hd dvd fans bash you I wanted to personally thank you. I come to this forum a lot and I am always scanning to see where you post. Thanks for your insight and inside information.

Thank you Warner Brothers and New Line!!!
And continued thanks to the original backers of BD, Sony - Disney - Fox - Lionsgate
post #15 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

~Josh

Nice.

Thanks for your work Josh
post #16 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any clue? Does it involve a non-BD studio? How about a format neutral one?

Hal
post #17 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

~Josh

Thank you! Although the Fox titles announced we're very welcomed, it just wasn't quite as intense as the Paramount announcement. I have a lot of faith in Blu-ray, and I think it's an amazing product above and beyond HD DVD.
post #18 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:51 PM

Quote:

~Josh

Heres hoping your source is on the money. Even if it doesn't pan out I'm sure the responses to your post will feed my ignore list. No point in reading what troll after troll has to say.
post #19 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Where are Swanlee and Iggster? Shouldn't they be here by now?

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #20 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where are Swanlee and Iggster? Shouldn't they be here by now?

~Josh

I guess they're giving Steeb and GizmoDVD the first crack at it.
post #21 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, Josh, I'm headed fishing for a while as of Friday evening. Going to the middle of nowhere so they cannot find me. So, hopefully, you can post this before I leave!!!
post #22 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:

~Josh

This better be good....
post #23 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

I think its all smoke and mirrors. Honestly, I just want a unified format. Thats all I'm gonna advocate from now on. Whose with me?

Lets say this is a mega-ton announcement, I don't think its going to be anything that major. The most I think that could happen is that Warner goes exclusive or Universal goes neutral, other than that... I don't see anything happening.

Even if that ^^^ does happen, what happens to the formats? We piss off more guys in the red and have another small victory that won't do anything in the overall.

HD-Ray- HD- RAY!
post #24 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

HD-DVD was in a coma. It barely surviving....with the Paramount news..they get to survive another 12 months..and then it will die harder.
post #25 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think its all smoke and mirrors. Honestly, I just want a unified format. Thats all I'm gonna advocate from now on. Whose with me?

Well, it's an interesting scenario. I'm not totally against it, as long as it doesn't restrict the quality (i.e less capacity, less bandwidth, having to boil discs, etc). To be honest, if this whole thing is about BD-J vs. HDi, or some other ancillary sh!t I couldn't care less about, then by all means...unify. Give them their HDi and lower copy protection or whatever, just make sure we got the highest possible quality for the movie video and audio like we get with Blu-Ray.
post #26 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Josh, I hope you're not setting the bar too high here. I think only three events would qualify for this:

-Warner exclusivity
-Universal neutrality
-Wal-mart exclusivity plus cheaper players

I think everything else would just be another "shot fired."
post #27 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodguy View Post

Josh, I hope you're not setting the bar too high here. I think only three events would qualify for this:

-Warner exclusivity
-Universal neutrality
-Wal-mart exclusivity plus cheaper players

I think everything else would just be another "shot fired."

Agreed, and honestly, Warner isn't going Exclusive.

Universal isn't going neutral till next year, when the bourn series is already released on HD-DVD.

Walmart isn't that big of a deal.
post #28 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:24 PM

To me, it probally has to deal with Universal and the news of Spilberg. That is just me. i could be wrong, oh well
post #29 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hmmm... Best Buy maybe?
post #30 of 281 Old 08-21-2007, 08:25 PM