AVS Forum banner

House of Flying Daggers -Re-master?

37K views 202 replies 68 participants last post by  endeavor 
#1 ·
The September issue of THE PERFECT VISION makes reference to a re-mastered edition of the Blu-Ray of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. In discussion of FIFTH ELEMENT in an article titled "Blu-ray Discs to Die For on page 76 the following is stated "Apparently other titles have been redone as well, including the gorgeous new transfer of House of Flying Daggers, also roundly trounced along with other first Sony masterings."

Can anyone confirm this and other possible Sony re-masterings and how to identify the new product?

PS

I did not find other thread on this subject......if one exists please link to it.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14585135

What is the point of making a post like this?

Dude, I stopped asking myself that question a long time ago.
I've since mastered the "smile and ignore" technique. You should try it!

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/14585799

i did get it on the cheap, but would still suggest waiting for a remastered uncut version, which will warrant a double-dip for me.

See, the thing is, I've been waiting for that for years. And at this point, I just don't think it's going to happen. It's the same situation with Hero - whenever it's finally released on Blu-ray over here, I'll probably just accept whatever they bother to give us because there will never be a remastered uncut release.

And as compromised as these versions are, I could have watched both of those movies several times over in the past few years if I had purchased them instead of waiting for the "good" version to be released.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rieper /forum/post/14583767

Does this movie even merit a Re-master???

I've never seen it, buy I've read comments that its a bad ripoff of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Not at all. CTHD was a ripoff of countless Hong Kong kung-fu films. Now, it was BETTER than 99.99% of the films that it ripped off, so that excuses it 100% in my book.

HOFD is a magnificent film, one that should be seen by anyone who enjoyed CTHD. There is some not that impressive CGI here and there, but all in all it's a wonderful film, one deserving better treatment. The cuts and alterations by the studio in an attmept to get a PG-13 are simply sickening.

I ******* HATE PG-13 and what it has done to the film industry!!!

#57 ·
"Don't hold back Matt, tell us how you really feel"......... ah I couldn't resist using Geoff's quote up on the top of this page.

Just yanking your chain Matt.

Who's going to spring for the French version of HOFD? As Matt has mentioned this film really deserves better if it is possible.

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe /forum/post/14592418

I never knew there were uncut versions. I saw it in theaters and don't remember seeing any blood so I never wondered. What international DVD releases are completely uncut?

This review has a list of the cuts:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/15518...lying-daggers/

The Region 3 DVDs are uncut.

#61 ·
I watched it thrice in the theatre! I picked up both the DVD and Blu Ray versions. The Blu Ray absolutely blows away the DVD on the audio side. The audio is excellent on this. Overall, the video is also a significant improvement on the DVD. To me the Blu ray accurately reflected my theatre experience. Was it exactly the same on every frame? I have no idea! But it is the experience that counts and for me this title is a winner

#62 ·
The Region 3 DVD with full bore DTS is not blown away by the BD. It's vewry close. Not so with the region 1 DVD. That one is certainly compromised.

Should this release be a true 1080p master and no pitch (PAL) issues AND with English subtitles, I'll be all over it like **** on a fan.

#63 ·
Hi guys!

Here are some screenshots from the new French HoFD BRD:

(They match Xylon's screenshots here .)

And the specs:

Code:
Code:
Total   Video                                             
Title                                                           Codec   Length  Movie Size      Disc Size       Bitrate Bitrate Main Audio Track                          Secondary Audio Track
-----                                                           ------  ------- --------------  --------------  ------- ------- ------------------                        ---------------------
LE_SECRET_DES_POIGNARDS                                         VC-1    1:59:31 24 355 602 432  30 257 939 328  27,17   18,96   DTS-HD Master 5.1 2127Kbps (48kHz/16-bit) 

DISC INFO:

Disc Size:      30 257 939 328 bytes
Protection:     AACS
BD-Java:        No

PLAYLIST REPORT:

Name:           00032.mpls
Size:           24 355 602 432 bytes
Length:         1:59:31 (h:m:s)
Total Bitrate:  27,17 Mbps
Description:    

FILES:

Name            Size            Length          Time In         Time Out        
----            ----            ------          -------         --------        
00034.M2TS      24 355 602 432  1:59:31.664     0:00:00.000     1:59:31.664     

VIDEO:

Codec               Bitrate         Description     
-----               -------         -----------     
VC-1 Video          18963 kbps      1080p / 23,976fps / 16:9 / Advanced Profile 3

AUDIO:

Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
DTS-HD Master Audio             English         2127 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 2127kbps (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 1536kbps)
DTS-HD Master Audio             French          2169 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 2169kbps (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 1536kbps)
DTS-HD Audio                    Chinese         2046 kbps       5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 2046kbps (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48kHz / 16-bit / 1536kbps)

There are both French & English menus & subtitles on the disc, so I guess it might be identical to the upcoming UK release...

Cheers!

Peto

#66 ·
Is the French release uncut? or is it digitally altered to remove the blood like the stupid U.S. version?

Are there English subtitles?

I'll import this in a second if it's uncut with English subs.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14791952

Is the French release uncut? or is it digitally altered to remove the blood like the stupid U.S. version?

No idea!
If you could point me to some "unaltered" screengrabs (from a DVD I guess), I'd do my best to locate their equivalent in the French BRD version...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14791952

Are there English subtitles?

Yup, I mentioned them at the end of my post...

Cheers!

Peto

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petoluk /forum/post/14792554

No idea!
If you could point me to some "unaltered" screengrabs (from a DVD I guess), I'd do my best to locate their equivalent in the French BRD version...

I don't have screen grabs, but there's a list of the cuts here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/15518...flying-daggers

#69 ·
peto, me thinks I am going blind.

The easiest cut to see is this one...

Quote:
1:49:20. After Mei removes the dagger from her chest, a gusher of blood has been digitally erased. Initially, we see a small amount of blood pour out (this is identical to both versions of the movie), but after the camera cuts away and cuts back to her the Chinese edit shows more blood flowing out. In the American edit we see a stain on her shirt but no further stream of blood.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/14791727

I find the French version more appealing but only because it's a higher contrast image with more color saturation. Otherwise, it appears to be identical.

There isn't a contrast change, Xylon took those screenshots at TV levels, instead of expanded levels like everyone does now.

The length of the US disc is 1:58:53, while this disc is 1:59:31. So it might be uncut!

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca /forum/post/11453034

I just wonder: if there's a Korean uncut version of Kung Fu Hustle, why isn't there one for HOFD too?

As far as I know there are hardly any Korean Blu-ray releases. Even some Korean Blu-ray tiltles which are being sold in Korea are imports (e.g. Tale of Two Sisters). 75% of my DVD collection is Korean so I hope the situation will change soon and they start producing Blu-ray.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei /forum/post/14798592

As far as I know there are hardly any Korean Blu-ray releases. Even some Korean Blu-ray tiltles which are being sold in Korea are imports (e.g. Tale of Two Sisters). 75% of my DVD collection is Korean so I hope the situation will change soon and they start producing Blu-ray.

Where is there a Tale of Two Sisters Blu-ray? I thought this title was canned when Tartan went out of business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.