House of Flying Daggers -Re-master? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I'm in the USA. So my only hope is for a Korean or Japanese release. Right now I want to punch Sony in the face. This is intolerable.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens View Post

I'm in the USA. So my only hope is for a Korean or Japanese release. Right now I want to puinch Sony in the face. This is intolerable.

What exactly has Sony done wrong in respect to this movie? They've done what they could with the print that's available to them.
post #93 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Read the thread. Sony CUT and ALTERED the film for a PG-13 rating and refuses to release the uncut version, despite their knowing full well that is what people want. It is infuriating.

Now it available overseas, uncut, but I can't see it because of region coding.

post #94 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by petoluk View Post

Well, I think it is - the 3rd shot above comes from this scene (Mei opens her eyes in that shot, so I guess we do discover she is still alive )...

That scene is present in the American version, but it's been shortened to remove the dialogue and cut right to the attack. If the dialogue I quoted was there, it's the uncut version.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #95 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Read the thread. Sony CUT and ALTERED the film for a PG-13 rating and refuses to release the uncut version, despite their knowing full well that is what people want. It is infuriating.

Now it available overseas, uncut, but I can't see it because of region coding.

The weird thing is, this is a specific enthusiasts movie. It's not like there were gobs of money to be made by making it PG-13. This isn't Spider-man! This isn't Indiana Jones! Oh well.
post #96 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PG-13 is ruining film. It is a travesty. In ten years there will be no R rated films released.

post #97 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

petoluk, one more question: When you turn on English subtitles, are they positioned entirely inside the movie image, or are some lines in the lower letterbox bar?

Josh Z

post #98 of 193 Old 10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

PG-13 is ruining film. It is a travesty. In ten years there will be no R rated films released.

I predict just the opposite, in 10 years R films will start to outweigh PG-13 again as studios "push the envelope" to stand out in a field of badly censored PG-13 films.
post #99 of 193 Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'd agree w/Matt. They'll release PG-13 to theatres & release both cuts or just uncut to video. But, in studios' quest to please everyone, they may please no one. Die Hard 4 comes to mind.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #100 of 193 Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

I predict just the opposite, in 10 years R films will start to outweigh PG-13 again as studios "push the envelope" to stand out in a field of badly censored PG-13 films.

No way. Corporations run the studios. They want maximum return on their dollar and ever since Washington DC went ballistic once they found out R rated films were being marketed to teens (duh) the PG-13 has been king and will be ever more so as time goes by.

DIE HARD 4, now TERMINATOR 4 and maybe even BEVERLY HILLS COP 4. It will just get worse and worse. HANCOCK was cut to pieces in an effort to get it a PG-13. R rated films are extremely difficult to make now. Budgets have to be slashed, running times have to be short and it takes a strong, well regarded filmmaker to make that happen.

What Sony did with HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and KUNG FU HUSTLE is sheer lunacy, brought on by the PG-13 castration of American film.

post #101 of 193 Old 10-09-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

Open message to studios: more Rambo 4, less Die Hard 4 please.
post #102 of 193 Old 10-09-2008, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Open message to studios: more Rambo 4, less Die Hard 4 please.

Well, there's always the "unrated" version of Die Hard 4, which is the original rated-R movie they made. Too bad we don't get it on Blu-ray.
post #103 of 193 Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Well, there's always the "unrated" version of Die Hard 4, which is the original rated-R movie they made. Too bad we don't get it on Blu-ray.

Still a toned-down R versus the first three as I understand it. I only saw the PG-13 cut and I hated it so I haven't bothered checking out the Unrated (plus I can't be bothered watching SD lately - especially when the HD is reference like this).
post #104 of 193 Old 10-09-2008, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The switch to PG-13 was made during filmming, so half the flick was toned down while shooting. Less violent, etc. It shows. The film just lacks oomph.

post #105 of 193 Old 10-10-2008, 12:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

No way. Corporations run the studios. They want maximum return on their dollar and ever since Washington DC went ballistic once they found out R rated films were being marketed to teens (duh) the PG-13 has been king and will be ever more so as time goes by.

DIE HARD 4, now TERMINATOR 4 and maybe even BEVERLY HILLS COP 4. It will just get worse and worse. HANCOCK was cut to pieces in an effort to get it a PG-13. R rated films are extremely difficult to make now. Budgets have to be slashed, running times have to be short and it takes a strong, well regarded filmmaker to make that happen.

What Sony did with HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and KUNG FU HUSTLE is sheer lunacy, brought on by the PG-13 castration of American film.

Man, this needed to be said.
I am sick of these baby goo-goo action films coming out these days...

Quote:

DON'T get me started on that...

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #106 of 193 Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 AM

seek out the movie "This film is not yet rated" . It is an excellent expose on the mpaa and how and why movies are rated..movie only in sd
post #107 of 193 Old 10-10-2008, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
wow, the french version is miles ahead of the US BD in terms of pq from what i saw in the pics and xylon's screen grabs.

too bad it is region b. what region is UK?

it also doesn't say Master Audio for the Chinese track and no mention of chinese subtitles. really hoping Edko would release one for HK
post #108 of 193 Old 10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
UK is also region B
post #109 of 193 Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

UK is also region B

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...536ffa3ef87b29

hopefully we'll see an Edko release of HoFD as well as Hero, The Banquet, and Crouching Tiger. i don't think Edko did CTHD in asia tho.
post #110 of 193 Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:

What's really odd is that the cut version of Kung Fu Hustle was still given an R rating, but so was the uncut "Axe Kickin' Edition"! Looks like Sony tried for a PG-13 originally, failed, and just gave up...

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is fantastic stuff. The interviews with Matt Stone and Kevin Smith especially prove how full of themselves the MPAA really is.
post #111 of 193 Old 10-11-2008, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai View Post

What's really odd is that the cut version of Kung Fu Hustle was still given an R rating, but so was the uncut "Axe Kickin' Edition"! Looks like Sony tried for a PG-13 originally, failed, and just gave up...

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is fantastic stuff. The interviews with Matt Stone and Kevin Smith especially prove how full of themselves the MPAA really is.

I thought that the "Axe Kickin" SE was still the same theatrical cut?
post #112 of 193 Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

That scene is present in the American version, but it's been shortened to remove the dialogue and cut right to the attack. If the dialogue I quoted was there, it's the uncut version.

This does not appear to have been answered definitively. I'd like to order the disc, but it's expensive and I'd hate to get it home only to discover that it's the same as the American cut.

Can anyone confirm whether the dialogue is present in this scene?

---
As Jin discovers Mei lying injured, the scene has been condensed to cut directly to Leo's attack. In the original Chinese cut of the film, Jin cradles Mei's body for 30 additional seconds, and we discover that she is still alive when she attempts to whisper in his ear. Mei's voice is inaudible, but Jin repeats aloud what he hears: "Mei. Mei! What? Turn… Turn around. Look behind you." At this point he turns around to see Leo charging towards him.
---

I'd also like an answer to whether the English subtitles appear within the movie or in the lower letterbox bar. Thanks.

Josh Z

post #113 of 193 Old 11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
There's an Australian Region B version set to flop out soon. Ignore the temp artwork, Universal are releasing this:
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/802750
post #114 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This does not appear to have been answered definitively. I'd like to order the disc, but it's expensive and I'd hate to get it home only to discover that it's the same as the American cut.

Can anyone confirm whether the dialogue is present in this scene?

I'd also like an answer to whether the English subtitles appear within the movie or in the lower letterbox bar. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to answer my own questions here. I gave in and ordered the disc. It arrived yesterday.

First off, the disc is not compatible with Region A players. It doesn't specifically say that it's region coded, and I didn't get a typical "Wrong Region" error message, but the screen goes black and eventually the disc just stops playing. So, effectively, it's Region B locked. Fortunately, I have a region-free LG BH200. The disc plays fine in that.

The disc has a choice of French or English menus. I can confirm that the movie does have the violence that was cut out of the American PG-13 version. I have not checked whether the horse stunts that were censored in the UK are missing. If anyone has a time code, I will look for that.

Subtitles appear half-in/half-out of the movie image, just like the Sony disc.

I haven't watched the disc on my projector yet, so I can't make any definitive statements on picture quality. I just checked a few scenes on a small monitor. It looked pretty much the same as the Region A copy, but I need to do more critical viewing to be sure.

Josh Z

post #115 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'll have to answer my own questions here. I gave in and ordered the disc. It arrived yesterday.

First off, the disc is not compatible with Region A players. It doesn't specifically say that it's region coded, and I didn't get a typical "Wrong Region" error message, but the screen goes black and eventually the disc just stops playing. So, effectively, it's Region B locked. Fortunately, I have a region-free LG BH200. The disc plays fine in that.

The disc has a choice of French or English menus. I can confirm that the movie does have the violence that was cut out of the American PG-13 version. I have not checked whether the horse stunts that were censored in the UK are missing. If anyone has a time code, I will look for that.

I haven't watched the disc on my projector yet, so I can't make any definitive statements on picture quality. I just checked a few scenes on a small monitor. It looked pretty much the same as the Region A copy, but I need to do more critical viewing to be sure.

Josh thanks for the update.
post #116 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, kudos for Josh for the info. Now bust out the Benq and see what the disc looks like!

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #117 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

josh, i seem to remember reading about ppl bypassing the region lock issue by pressing some button combinations during the blank screen. maybe you can check out asianblurayguide.com or google for more info. i'd like to hear more about this disc (region lock, quality) before possibly making an import purchase myself.

does it have chinese subs?
post #118 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

josh, i seem to remember reading about ppl bypassing the region lock issue by pressing some button combinations during the blank screen. maybe you can check out asianblurayguide.com or google for more info. i'd like to hear more about this disc (region lock, quality) before possibly making an import purchase myself.

In blu-ray lies inc, the process of playing the uk version is press "stop" at the blank screen. then pressing "top menu", then the movie plays ok. josh, can you verify this?

Thanks..

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b
post #119 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m View Post

In blu-ray lies inc, the process of playing the uk version is press "stop" at the blank screen. then pressing "top menu", then the movie plays ok. josh, can you verify this?

Thanks..

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

I just tried it. Pressing Stop then Top Menu does not work on my Panasonic DMP-BD50. It may react differently in a PS3, but in the BD50 this procedure just brings me back to the black screen, which then stops playback after a minute.

I tried other combination of buttons, and nothing else worked either. The only button that does anything is Stop. Everything else gives me a "This operation currently disabled" message.

[Note that I have the French release, not the UK release. Maybe that disc is different.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

The French disc has only English or French subtitles.

Josh Z

post #120 of 193 Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Josh, guess I will have to buy it and just take the risk...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page