post #61 of 69 Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos75 View Post

I was once really really really big into Anime, I own well over 400 anime DVDs, but I just cannot get into the new stuff much anymore, it all seems so stupid. Only new series I really like is Nuarto, and it took me a while to like it. If and when the older stuff like Vampire hunter D, Record of Lodoss, Akira, Slayers, Tenchi, Miyazaki stuff, Macross,etc is released on BD I am there, the newer stuff, not so much.

Sounds like you have anime burnout.

Go do something else for awhile, and by awhile it might be days, weeks, months, or years, but when you come back you'll find anime is still there waiting for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 03-09-2008, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its been about three years since I really looked into Anime, I did buy the Witchblade anime and the Vandread collection recently and enjoyed them, its the stuff like One piece and the ik I cannot stand.
post #63 of 69 Old 03-09-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

You are incorrectly assuming the anime studios in Japan have any interest whatsoever in export sales of their domestic releases.

Unfortunately subtitling and dubbing of animes for American English release are typically done by the licensing distributor in North America. The Japanese distributor and studio do not have the rights to that work and they certainly have no interest in paying licensing fees to get those rights since the Japanese speak and read Japanese just fine.

In the extras of Appleseed Ex Machina, there is a in depth look at getting the dubbing done right in English. The Japanese studio was involved, and in charge, and had some favorable input on the process. Very interesting look at the behind the scenes work that goes on with these productions.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #64 of 69 Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liersi View Post

Have there been professional remixes of these films that should have been included?

The LPCM soundtracks I mentioned are as same as the original region 2 DVD releases. The region 1 CCA release did have a 5.1 Japanese AC3 remix, but it has been ages since I last watched the region 1 version so I don't remember how the AC3 track sounded.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #65 of 69 Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Does anyone here have Patlabor WXIII, or know of anyone with it? I really want to find out if it is a 4x black bar'd title, or is full like the Patlabor 1&2 releases (and I can categorically confirm that Patlabor 1 and 2 are NOT black bared on all 4 sides). I want to get WXII, but after both Jin Roh and Honneamise I'm feeling kind of burnt. I'd really appreciate anyone with WXIII and a non-overscanning setup (eg, 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping) letting me know.

Thanks.

Just watched the US release of Royal Space Force: Wing of Honneamise. I'm unsure of some of the complaints. Yes, it was 16:9 although pillared to native 35mm AR (1.66:1).

But the print quality was very good. The only "damage" I could see was cell dirt in some spots. Eg, stuff left on the cel layers when they were photographing it. It could have been cleared up digitally, but it was obvious it was cell dirt, not master damage.

I watched Jin Roh last Wednesday, and it was also black Bar'd on all 4 sides. It wasn't that impressive a transfer honestly, but mostly due to the source. Like the skin toning on people was all monochromatic. The underground scenes were all deliberately fogged. Stylistic choices, but honestly no better in HD than SD. The only places where HD stood out were the hand drawn backgrounds, and a lot of those were pretty simplistic in the colour palette.

BTW, does anyone here have Patlabor WXIII, or know of anyone with it? I really want to find out if it is a 4x black bar'd title, or is full like the Patlabor 1&2 releases (and I can categorically confirm that Patlabor 1 and 2 are NOT black bared on all 4 sides). I want to get WXII, but after both Jin Roh and Honneamise I'm feeling kind of burnt. I'd really appreciate anyone with WXIII and a non-overscanning setup (eg, 1080p with 1:1 pixel mapping) letting me know.

Thanks.
post #66 of 69 Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Here's my earlier summary wrt windowboxing. Pat 3's in there as well:

Quote:

dicey, my apologies for not seeing your last response back in September. To clear this up in retrospect: my definition of windowboxing is the same as yours, bars on all four sides. Which is also what brings me here again, on the occasion of Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door. You guessed it: windowboxed. So were Patlabor 3, Jin-Roh and Spriggan. At this point it's easier to list the titles that aren't windowboxed (P1, P2, I think Avalon wasn't).

post #67 of 69 Old 04-04-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Here's my earlier summary wrt windowboxing. Pat 3's in there as well:

Argh no! Thanks for that. You just saved me some money... Why didn't they fix these
post #68 of 69 Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 AM

given the limited colour palette of anime i would think the picture quality is superb. of the films i've seen none have issues.
post #69 of 69 Old 04-06-2008, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post

given the limited colour palette of anime i would think the picture quality is superb. of the films i've seen none have issues.

Limited colour palette? Most anime exceeds the colour palette of live-action movies!
- The Paprika Blu-Ray far exceeds NTSC-safe limits in the purity and saturation of the colours in the dream sequences. Even Paprika's t-shirt would have to be neon-glowing to be as intensely red if in real-life as it is in the animation.
- The HD opening sequence of Air contains a brilliantly pure blue sky and lush green vegetation, with colours that rival the best scenes in Planet Earth. It looks normal in a webbrowser on a PC, but when I downloaded the DivX and played it through my PS3 on my HDTV, I saw colours that I didn't even know my TV was capable of displaying!
- Even a dystopian-themed anime, with a primarily gray-brown colour palette, can have bright and dark extremes not normally seen in live-action movies. Animation is not subjected to the night-lighting problem of live-action movies. Night scenes in live-action movies must be brightly lit for the camera, and while a few movies like Blade Runner have "dark" scenes that actually feel dark, the night scenes in most modern movies have the same peak brightness levels as the movie's indoor scenes.
So, there's no way that I would call the colour palette of anime "limited".
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page