Closed Thread

post #1 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Studio Canal has revealed an upcoming Blu-ray boxset for the three 'Les Bronzes' films, making it the first Blu-ray release to come from the formally HD DVD exclusive studio. The Studio Canal library is very extensive, as they distribute titles for many of the major studios. No release date specs have been released at this time.

http://www.dvdrama.com/news.php?21769

~Josh

hidefpreview
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 PM

I suspected this after reading an article about Lionsgate working with Studio Canal on EU distribution. Great news! Not sure if this joint venture had an influence but here in the press release from this past May:

Quote:

CANNES, FRANCE, and SANTA MONICA, CA, May 18, 2007 -- Optimum Releasing/StudioCanal and Lionsgate U.K. announced today that they will jointly acquire Elevation Sales. Elevation will now handle the joint sales and distribution of DVD product for both Optimum Home Entertainment and Lionsgate U.K., continuing its growth within the UK home entertainment market. The parties have executed letters of understanding and are now negotiating the definitive agreements.
The venture builds upon both distributors' continued growth in the home entertainment sector. As a result of the acquisition, Elevation Sales will become one of the strongest suppliers to the UK home entertainment market with a forthcoming DVD roster that includes strong mainstream releases such as SAW IV and CAPTIVITY, critically acclaimed successes THIS IS ENGLAND and THE LIVES OF OTHERS and classic catalogue releases DIRTY DANCING and THIS IS SPINAL TAP.
The acquisition will become operational in September, and the company will retain the name Elevation Sales and its current management team. Founded by Graham Davidson in January 2004, Elevation has already sold more than 15 million DVD¹s in the UK for a client base that includes Optimum, Buena Vista Home Entertainment and MVM.
Optimum and Lionsgate U.K both noted that, as part of the venture, Elevation will capitalize on opportunities for distribution of third-party product in addition to Lionsgate and Optimum releases. The companies also expect Elevation to continue diversifying its DVD product portfolio into such areas as TV-to-DVD releases.
Lionsgate praised its previous longstanding relationship with Fox's home video distribution operation in the U.K., noting that the arrangement had reflected a high level of quality and professionalism. Lionsgate made the shift because of the entrepreneurial growth opportunities afforded by the joint venture with Optimum and the acquisition of Elevation.
Optimum Releasing, acquired by StudioCanal last year, continues to achieve great success in the UK theatrical distribution and home entertainment sectors. Recent theatrical successes include Shane Meadows¹ BIFA-winning drama THIS IS ENGLAND, and upcoming titles include Cannes opener MY BLUEBERRY NIGHTS and IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH. Optimum Home Entertainment recently enjoyed its fastest selling DVD ever with the release of PAN’S LABYRINTH.
Lionsgate U.K, formerly Redbus Film Distribution, was acquired in October 2005 by Lionsgate, the leading independent filmed entertainment studio, and has continued its steady growth and diversification as a premier U.K. distribution company since then. Lionsgate U.K. recently distributed the box office successes SAW III and EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH and scored four Oscar ® nominations in 2006 with GOOD NIGHT, AND GOOD LUCK.

Regardless of whether this means Studio Canal releases will be available as imports to the U.S., the fact that Studio Canal is embracing Blu-ray bodes well for the format's long-term viability.
post #3 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FYI:

Studio Canal is owned by Vivendi. Vivendi owns 20% of Universal. I am not saying anything, but

Also - Studio Canal holds the third largest flim library in the world.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #4 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

What types of movies do they have?? Is there a list of titles?

200 +++ BD discs and counting...still enjoying 60+ HD-DVD's too!!
post #5 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Damn I cant read the article..

200 +++ BD discs and counting...still enjoying 60+ HD-DVD's too!!
post #6 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

It's doesn't do much good if they region code these discs, please be aware of that as we found out with your Blu-RAY CROW UK announcement.
post #7 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL Region Coded Discs in the EU mean nothing to us..

Nice way to start another rumor with Universal.
post #8 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

It's doesn't do much good if they region code these discs, please be aware of that as we found out with your Blu-RAY CROW UK announcement.

This is HUGE news, especially for our European friends. It is not known how many of SC's releases will be region coded or if any of them will be. We will have to findout when official announcements hit.

I beleive this is the first time in the format war where a Major exclusive studio has gone neutral.

Great News For Blu-ray!

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #9 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you're blowing it out of proportion. Not really neutral since it has zero impact to us here in the States. You can also get Exclusive Sony titles on HD-DVD in other countries (where they truly are region free)..

Yep good for some EU counterparts, but not too big of news.
post #10 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

"I beleive this is the first time in the format war where a Major exclusive studio has gone neutral."

Uhh you need to calm down a little bit Studio Canal specializes in over sea's distribution of other studio's movies, this has nothing to do with universal or any other studio other than Studio Canal themselves, as Studio Canal may own the rights to distribute certain films in certain territories.

Hey I got MR. and MS. Smith on HD-DVD before it was released on BLU-RAY, does this mean Fox has gone neutral now? I have Underworld Evolution on HD-DVD, so that means Sony Pictures is neutral?
post #11 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

The same site (DVDRama) had also previously reported that they found advertising materials from Studio Canal stating that a french film "Prête-moi ta Main" will be available on both HD DVD and Blu-ray (other sites like Resetmag.com also reported a similar event) It was later shot down by Studio Canal, when SC broke its silence with an official press release stating that the French film will only be available on HD DVD. The French film is now available for sale on HD DVD only.

Unless Studio Canal officially announces the specs, date and pricing with the final retail listings available at major retailers' websites, instead of some advertising material doing the job, I would take it with a pinch of salt.

I'm not interested in guessing or debating whether Studio Canal will remain HD DVD-exclusive or go neutral. I just wanted to say that there is a tendency that articles on that site may not be always accurate or official, and in the article's defence, it did say to expect further information/confirmations at a later date.
post #12 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope this wasn't the big BD savoir rumor you were instigating last week..
post #13 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

"I would take it with a pinch of salt."

Yep this should be moved to the rumor thread in the HDM forum.
post #14 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I think beatboy should be restricted to only be able to post in the rumor thread.
post #15 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #16 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Hmm, are you the same Josh who posted that article on blu-ray.com? I'm not saying the studio news isn't real. I'm just wondering if you are linking the proof if your post with a story you put up on another site. I could be way off. Lots of Josh's in the world

Formerly Neutral
PS3 + BD movies: 44
Toshiba A2: SOLD
24 HD-DVD's: SOLD
post #17 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:32 PM

Awesome... if it holds up unlike the previous SC "announcement"...

Planet of the Apes (1968) quote:

George Taylor (human): Doctor, I'd like to kiss you goodbye.
Dr. Zira (ape): All right, but you're so damned ugly.
post #18 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

"http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=443"

Ugg this article sources back to the same DVD Drama article you already posted. They sourced the same article. Do you even read the links you post?
post #19 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM

the source is still DVDRama. if it's posted on blu-ray.com doesn't mean it's official.
post #20 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypolarbear View Post

Hmm, are you the same Josh who posted that article on blu-ray.com? I'm not the studio news isn't real. I'm just wondering if you are linking the proof if your post with a story you put up on another site. I could be way off. Lots of Josh's in the world

I am not the same guy.

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #21 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey a major overseas exclusive studio has gone neutral this week and a major domestic neutral studio went exclusive last week. Who cares either way? This thing's far from over.

Have you shipped my movie yet?
post #22 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrad View Post

LOL Region Coded Discs in the EU mean nothing to us..

Nice way to start another rumor with Universal.

Actually that is not true. The United States is not the only market that is facing a high def format war. Broader worldwide acceptance will be an important factor in either format's long-term viability. Nothing is gonna change with either Universal or Paramount until it is clearly in their financial interest. That should be abundantly clear now more than ever.
post #23 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

I am not the same guy.

~Josh

Okay, just wondering.

This big news then. Some of the comments under that story you linked said that Hot Fuzz and Shawn of the Dead are Studio Canal overseas.

Formerly Neutral
PS3 + BD movies: 44
Toshiba A2: SOLD
24 HD-DVD's: SOLD
post #24 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=443

~Josh

Hey Josh I just went to Blu ray.com as you suggested in this post and found this posted from you today. I can't beleive someone in a high up position with Uni actaully tells you these things. Are you making this stuff up? Sad if you are!

Interesting Conversation (Universal)

Last night I had the opportunity to speak with my contact at Universal for quite a bit of time. We were basically talking about this format war and feelings of Universal going neutral.

She then brought up a very good point. She mentioned that essentially the "higher-ups" at Universal despise those at Paramount for the failed DreamWorks deal from not so long a go. She also mentioned that in her eyes there was no way she could see Universal "partnering" with Paramount much longer as HD-DVD's only exclusive studios. She mentioned there are still quite a few hard feelings between the two companies.

Finally she said that no more major studios will shift support one-way or the other this year to her knowledge, however she fully expects Universal to go format neutral in the beginning of 2008.
~Josh

Joe V.
post #25 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Hey Josh I just went to Blu ray.com as you suggested in this post and found this posted from you today. I can't beleive someone in a high up position with Uni actaully tells you these things. Are you making this stuff up? Sad if you are!

I can't say I am surprised by her comments and I never thought about the bad blood between Universal and Paramount over the DreamWorks deal. I think what she mentioned makes a lot of sense, about Universal not wanting to "partner" in any way with Paramount with the sting of that deal so fresh.

And today with the Vivendi/Studio Canal annoucement, well one can imagine what is happening

~Josh

hidefpreview
post #26 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a rumor thread and should be posted here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=897356
post #27 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is this why, on this very same day, Universal just launched their HD DVD website? Hate to say it, but your credibility isn't the greatest... Whatever happened to that big BD announcement that was supposed to happen last week?
post #28 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 PM

Interesting. This thing is like a soap opera. By the way Swanlee, the original thread posting is obviously not a rumor.
post #29 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 PM

Enjoying the lovely region coding are we?
post #30 of 83 Old 08-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

And today with the Vivendi/Studio Canal annoucement, well one can imagine what is happening

~Josh

I believe that one is you. But whatever gets you through the day champ.
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page