The Wild Bunch- Blu Ray - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-17-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apologies if another thread allready exists for this title. I ordered it thurs 13sept and it arrived this morning (dvdpacifiK).

Ill be viewing it in 9 hours.The back says 1080p 2.4:1 with dolby digital 5.1 audio (it also has a french and spanish sound track)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-17-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just skimmed thru all the chapters- excellent quality on the video . No coarse grain , no artifacts that I could see. Same master as the recent DVD release. Worth the step up from DVD IMHO
post #3 of 35 Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtassone View Post

Just skimmed thru all the chapters- excellent quality on the video . No coarse grain , no artifacts that I could see. Same master as the recent DVD release. Worth the step up from DVD IMHO

I've ordered it from the Warner's site using the RNFS coupon code (along with others to allow me to get the free shipping). This is a classic movie. I'm glad they apparently did a good job on the Blu-ray.
post #4 of 35 Old 09-18-2007, 07:40 AM

Liked: 10
I'm waiting on mine to ship from WHV. I really hope the transfer is sharp, the recent DVD suffered from blurriness and edge halos IMO.

Enjoying the goodness that is Blu-ray and HD-DVD
post #5 of 35 Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.vaccaro View Post

I'm waiting on mine to ship from WHV. I really hope the transfer is sharp, the recent DVD suffered from blurriness and edge halos IMO.

I agree, the recent dvd was bad. I hope they really improved the HD version, otherwise, it will go on Ebay.
post #6 of 35 Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

if by edge halo's people mean edge enhancement - then yes it's still there like in the DVD (but i've seen much worse in other movies).

It has not been tweaked beyond the DVD - just a higher resolution transfer.
post #7 of 35 Old 09-19-2007, 04:38 AM

Damn. I hate edge halos. *sigh*

Enjoying the goodness that is Blu-ray and HD-DVD
post #8 of 35 Old 09-19-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamtassone View Post

if by edge halo's people mean edge enhancement - then yes it's still there like in the DVD (but i've seen much worse in other movies).

It has not been tweaked beyond the DVD - just a higher resolution transfer.

Damn. For me edge enhancement ruins the advantage of high def media. The recent HD DVD versions of '40-year virgin' and ' Heroes' are so bad its like an insult to the viewer.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Has anyone else noticed a couple of problems with the picture quality of the blu-ray version of "The Wild Bunch".
They happen on two seperate occasions, at 1:38:50-1:41:00 and at 1:49:05-1:50:20 .There seems to be a loss of blue,and some kind of colour registration error.Both scenes are from the same location,so I don't know if this was a camera,print,transfer problem.
I have viewed this on a plasma and a projector, and to be honest on a 42"plasma it is not that noticable but when the image becomes larger then it becomes more apparent. I have also noticed at 1:43:10 for instance,the M/S of the soldier is slightly soft(focus from the camera) which happens a few times in the movie and shows up via the hd transfer.
I have sold my standard def version so I am unable yo tell if the colour problem has only recently surfaced.

Thanks Davide
post #10 of 35 Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post

I agree, the recent dvd was bad. I hope they really improved the HD version, otherwise, it will go on Ebay.

I received my copy today and I think it is great. The colors and detail blows away the 2 disc dvd version. It is a keeper.
post #11 of 35 Old 09-29-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide View Post

Has anyone else noticed a couple of problems with the picture quality of the blu-ray version of "The Wild Bunch".
They happen on two seperate occasions, at 1:38:50-1:41:00 and at 1:49:05-1:50:20 .There seems to be a loss of blue,and some kind of colour registration error.Both scenes are from the same location,so I don't know if this was a camera,print,transfer problem.
I have viewed this on a plasma and a projector, and to be honest on a 42"plasma it is not that noticable but when the image becomes larger then it becomes more apparent. I have also noticed at 1:43:10 for instance,the M/S of the soldier is slightly soft(focus from the camera) which happens a few times in the movie and shows up via the hd transfer.
I have sold my standard def version so I am unable yo tell if the colour problem has only recently surfaced.

Thanks Davide

Interesting. Bet it's the master. If I have time today I'll check my SD versions.
post #12 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Picked this up to watch last night. Boy, by current standards this isn't a very good transfer: obvious DNR leading to waxy faces, edge enhancement, loss of fine detail in wide shots, a look that seemed to show they used the DVD master (even though I don't think they did). I suspect that if the Blu-ray were released today it would be totally panned. Anyone else gone back to this recently and had the same reaction?

John K.
post #13 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegage View Post

Picked this up to watch last night. Boy, by current standards this isn't a very good transfer: obvious DNR leading to waxy faces, edge enhancement, loss of fine detail in wide shots, a look that seemed to show they used the DVD master (even though I don't think they did). I suspect that if the Blu-ray were released today it would be totally panned. Anyone else gone back to this recently and had the same reaction?

Absolutely. And I, for one, would happily pay for a double-dip on this with a new transfer.

I don't feel special...
post #14 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Liked: 22
The biggest problem with the DVD and Blu-Ray is the color is completely wrong - all brown and ugly. The IB Tech prints looked nothing like this transfer.
post #15 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Bought this the day before yesterday for $7.99; the price was certainly right. Haven't looked at it yet.

CW Hinkle
post #16 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegage View Post

John K.

I had that reaction initially. It just doesn't look as detailed as one might expect, and the colour's pretty darned horrible. As haines says, it's all browns and yellows.
post #17 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I watched The Wild Bunch BD recently and also noticed that it had a lot of brown in it but I wrote that off as Peckinpah's choice. The Mexican locales and the gritty nature of the film made that make sense, to me at least. The lossy 5.1 sound, though, showed its age. As others have said, a new BD edition of the film could no doubt improve it, both visually and aurally, but doing so would require a lot of work.
post #18 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 05:31 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched The Wild Bunch BD recently and also noticed that it had a lot of brown in it but I wrote that off as Peckinpah's choice. The Mexican locales and the gritty nature of the film made that make sense, to me at least. The lossy 5.1 sound, though, showed its age. As others have said, a new BD edition of the film could no doubt improve it, both visually and aurally, but doing so would require a lot of work.

It was certainly not Mr. Peckinpah's choice to have an ugly brown film. Wild Bunch is beautifully photographed and the IB Tech prints were gorgeous with rich blue skies and normal flesh tones. They went off a fading element and didn't even have the decency to check an IB print (Warners has them) for accuracy - to fix the element they used would have been so easy in the telecine room. The turn of a few knobs and you would have had absolutely perfect color. Warners has gotten a little better since then, but this and the color on The Searchers are things that must be redone at some point.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

It was certainly not Mr. Peckinpah's choice to have an ugly brown film. Wild Bunch is beautifully photographed and the IB Tech prints were gorgeous with rich blue skies and normal flesh tones. They went off a fading element and didn't even have the decency to check an IB print (Warners has them) for accuracy - to fix the element they used would have been so easy in the telecine room. The turn of a few knobs and you would have had absolutely perfect color. Warners has gotten a little better since then, but this and the color on The Searchers are things that must be redone at some point.

All I can say is that, considering its age and subject matter, the film looked fine to me. As for it being "ugly brown film," The Wild Bunch is pretty brown and ugly. That said, though, you have a point in that properly handled technicolor film from a master like Peckinpah should probably have looked better than it does on the 2007 BD.
post #20 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

bingo

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #21 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

Bought this the day before yesterday for $7.99; the price was certainly right. Haven't looked at it yet.

price still too high

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
post #22 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM

btw-this is another BD transfer where the cable over fiber optic, makes the BD look like crude

post #23 of 35 Old 07-30-2011, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

DNR, EE., old DVD master, not worth $7.99US too me.

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #24 of 35 Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I found The Wild Bunch BD for less than ten bucks, too, and bought it from Amazon last March. It is one of the all time great westerns and Peckinpah's masterpiece. Of course, neither the video nor the audio are great and I accept that the BD's PQ should have been better. So what, though? It is eminently watchable and I do not hesitate to watch it whenever the mood moves me.
post #25 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Anyone know anything about this new release of The Wild Bunch to be released August 30th?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There's not much information on Amazon or anywhere else I could find, except it lists 2 discs and a runtime of 145 minutes instead of 134 minutes on the original Blu-ray release, and a 1.77 aspect ratio?
post #26 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have the BD in my NF queue and it's available now. It's the 145 min version and a special edition that includes never-before-seen outtakes and three exclusive documentaries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'll buy it if it's a new remaster/transfer but if it's a regurgitation of the single-disc I currently own with some extras that don't interest me, I'm not forking over any cheese unless it comes with a lossless audio mix.
post #28 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javatime View Post

I have the BD in my NF queue and it's available now. It's the 145 min version and a special edition that includes never-before-seen outtakes and three exclusive documentaries.

hmm...Netflix has it for rental before it can be purchased?

I assume the 1.77 AR listed by Amazon is a mistake. Netflix has it listed as 2.40. Unfortunately, only DD.
post #29 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Noticed the aspect ratio discrepancy, too.

The 2006 "Original Director's Cut" DVD was listed as 145 minutes, but I don't know if there were truly any differences.

John K.
post #30 of 35 Old 08-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolumbo View Post

Anyone know anything about this new release of The Wild Bunch to be released August 30th?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There's not much information on Amazon or anywhere else I could find, except it lists 2 discs and a runtime of 145 minutes instead of 134 minutes on the original Blu-ray release, and a 1.77 aspect ratio?

The HD DVD release of this from way back in those heady early adopter days was 145 minutes. It's terrific.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page