WHY is Alexander split onto 2 discs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why is Alexander split onto 2 discs instead of 1?

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Because it was encoded with HD DVD specs. I welcome this actually, because for a long movie like this, I'd much rather have it on 2 discs than a crappy encode.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #3 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 394
The Final Cut is 3 1/2 hours long and has a built-in intermission. Is it really surprising that it would be split to 2 discs?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #4 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Yea...um...it's on 2 BD-25's. I call that unacceptable. Absolutely an F'ing waste. One major factor in my early acceptance of these HD formats was the large storage space per disc and the potential end of having to swap discs to watch my favorite movies (Lord of the Rings, etc.). Watching the Kingdom of Heaven directors cut without having to swap discs greatly enhances the cinematic feeling, and I sure as hell hope Warner Home Video takes this into consideration when releasing the LOTR trilogy. Even though Alexander is a pretty bad movie, I still think it at least deserved the BD-50 treatment. Warner is so quick to highlight HD-DVDs advantages, so why not let some Blu features shine?
post #5 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCuze View Post

Yea...um...it's on 2 BD-25's. I call that unacceptable. Absolutely an F'ing waste.

So, having the designed intermission goes against your personal desire. How long can you go without visiting the wet closet? Only a handful of films are ever going to be on 2 discs, so what! You're mighty indignant over nothin', IMO.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #6 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do we have confirmation it's 2 BD-25's? HDD says BD-50.

Either way, if there's a built in intermission I don't mind 2 discs.
post #7 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM

I won't buy it if the movie itself is cut into two disks. One of my dvd pet pievs was having to swap movies and one of the reasons I bought bd first (before paramount madness) was because I figured that I'd never have to swap disks again with 200gb disks.

Formerly Neutral
PS3 + BD movies: 44
Toshiba A2: SOLD
24 HD-DVD's: SOLD
post #8 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:25 PM

Rachael, no need to be rude and attack my personal tastes. I am merely stating that when possible (and this is), I'd like to see films as they were intended, without interruption. One can only assume that this "designed intermission" was only in place for the sake of standard definition DVDs, which could not handle a movie of that length with the proper audio and picture quality. Was the Alexander in theaters designed with an intermission? Were this cut to be released theatrically, do you think it would have a 10 minute musical interlude halfway through?

As for my bathroom habits, lets just say I'm never the guy who walks out in the middle of a film to take a leak. If you have a weaker bladder, there is a pause button for those things.
post #9 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
They've fit three-hour films on Blu-ray before... Hell, Kingdom of Heaven was MPEG-2, for cryin' out loud, and remains one of the best-looking titles out there. If you switch to VC-1, it should be pretty frikkin' easy to add a measly little half-hour and fit it onto one disc with no loss in video quality.

I agree. There's no valid reason for this film to take up two discs on Blu-ray. If HD-DVD can't handle three and a half hours, that's HD-DVD's problem. We're letting the weak set the pace.

Doesn't really matter to me in the long run, anyway... I never liked the film, so I have no intention of buying it. I just hope this doesn't serve as precedent to start half-assing encodes and splitting up other long films onto two discs rather than tweaking it to fit on a single 50GB disc. New Line, I'm looking at you.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #10 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 PM

Obviously, BD doesn't have enough space or bandwidth.
post #11 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

Obviously, BD doesn't have enough space or bandwidth.

post #12 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rachael, no need to be rude and attack my personal tastes.

That response was neither rude, nor an attack.

Quote:

I am merely stating that when possible (and this is), I'd like to see films as they were intended, without interruption.

The film has an intermission. It is, by definition, intended to be interrupted.

Quote:

One can only assume that this "designed intermission" was only in place for the sake of standard definition DVDs, which could not handle a movie of that length with the proper audio and picture quality.

That's a HUGE assumption.

Quote:

Was the Alexander in theaters designed with an intermission?

That movie was 40 minutes shorter than this one.

Quote:

Were this cut to be released theatrically, do you think it would have a 10 minute musical interlude halfway through?

Why not? It's not an uncommon practice to include an intermission in a movie that is 3.5+ hours long. Many shorter films include one as well.
post #13 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rachael, no need to be rude and attack my personal tastes.

I certainly wasn't trying to be rude! If the director says there's an intermission, that's fine by me. Besides, if I drink anything at a movie, even a relatively short one, my odds of making it through without a sprint to the powder room are not good..... I love intermissions! Guys have tighter plumbing.

I'd rather have the very, very long movies on 2 discs to ensure there's no drop-off of PQ. This is only the second BD that's on 2 discs...Reds is the other. It's gonna be so, so few films that will break your rule. You shouldn't get ruffled over this or me.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #14 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yea...um...it's on 2 BD-25's. I call that unacceptable. Absolutely an F'ing waste. One major factor in my early acceptance of these HD formats was the large storage space per disc and the potential end of having to swap discs to watch my favorite movies (Lord of the Rings, etc.). Watching the Kingdom of Heaven directors cut without having to swap discs greatly enhances the cinematic feeling, and I sure as hell hope Warner Home Video takes this into consideration when releasing the LOTR trilogy. Even though Alexander is a pretty bad movie, I still think it at least deserved the BD-50 treatment. Warner is so quick to highlight HD-DVDs advantages, so why not let some Blu features shine?

and this why a lot of people who know there stuff have been trying to tell you this bd 50 crap is a farce.
studios want to make money,if they can do 2 discs and charge more they will.
do you really think hdm is out there for your sake and there gonna do what you think is better for you[us] think again bd50 was just to sucker you in.
on the other side paramount flat out said bd50 is over-rated and if they need the space they will do 2 discs set.,hd 30 is good enough. if you dont belive that tuff thats what they said.
post #15 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

liggidy lolz bd50

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #16 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypolarbear View Post

I won't buy it if the movie itself is cut into two disks.

Same

Absolutely unacceptable.

Blu-ray FTW
post #17 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 PM

I am not a fan of splitting movies up on multiple discs, but perhaps instead of blaming HD-DVD, there was an actual reason for this move. We've heard of yield issues with the BD-50s in the past. Maybe with all the titles coming up in Q4, they could get the release out on time using BD-25s? I am not trying to incite anything, just curious myself and thinking of all the possibilities.
post #18 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 09:44 PM
tsb
AVS Special Member

Warner needs to do separate encodes, everyone knows it except HD DVD fanboys.

However, I have no problem using more than one disk. I'd rather swap disks and keep bitrates maxed than reduce bitrates to make it fit on one disk. Anything over 2~2 1/2 hours on either format should be on multiple disks if the superbit method is used.
post #19 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But the DVD is only one friggin disc, so the BR edition being 2 is total bs.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #20 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I have heard that the closer to 50 gigs you get on a disk the lower the yields get. If the encode fills up most of the room on 2 25's then 1 50 might not have been practical due to yields.

"My ignorance amuses me." .......Manfred Powell

Blu-Ray = 381 HD DVD = 1
My Collection
post #21 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I can't believe 2 disks is really that big a deal!!?? Nobody (I know of anyway) ever died swapping DVD disks out. Personally, I enjoy the intermission.
post #22 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 10:18 PM

I think the underlying fact is Blu Ray has the capacity advantage over HD DVD that 2 disks are not necessary. That's the claim. Some will argue that the intermission is what the director wanted but couldn't that be solved by just asking the audience politely to pause the film and resume when ready for viewing again? Why physically split the film in half?

How does it affect the bandwidth if the movie is on a BD-50 or 2 BD-25s? The capacity is identical.

Having 2 discs is the studios choice but throws the BD-50 advantage away in this case IMO.

Seriously, you can pause any movie, whether long or short so why is it different here? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

My $0.02

Long Live HD DVD! Now Long Live BR!
post #23 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 10:21 PM

My thought stands only if 2 BD-25s are used.

Need to cover my arse.

Long Live HD DVD! Now Long Live BR!
post #24 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Because it was encoded with HD DVD specs.

This is nonsense. If anything the HD DVD spec is built around being able to fit more in less space. I know it is not 3 1/2 hours but, King Kong fits quite nicely on 1 HD DVD (clocking in at 3 hrs. 8 min.) and is still consider to be one of the best looking HDM releases.

With a built in intermission, I don't think being split over 2 disc is that big of a deal. I do hate it when movies like Titanic and LOTR (although the EE where handled pretty well) that don't have true intermissions are split over 2 disc.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #25 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Were this cut to be released theatrically, do you think it would have a 10 minute musical interlude halfway through?

Yes, I think it would. Gods and Generals had a forced 12 minute intermission (12 minutes of black film) in the theatrical version which was edited out of the home video version. I was annoyed to see that change.
post #26 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

But the DVD is only one friggin disc, so the BR edition being 2 is total bs.

Everything about the DVD format was always compromised, the audio and video. I've seen the DVD and it's mediocre even by DVD standards, IMO. Are you an expert at authoring video discs? You're making a very bold statement as if you were. I certainly have no expert knowledge about authoring discs and would refrain from brash statements. My copy is in the mail, I'll make my judgement of the disc set solely by how it looks to me. Drawing lines in the sand is seldom a good strategy unless you're damn sure where to drawn 'em.

Somebody else mentioned the Superbit plan which is just not relevant. Superbit was a fraud as far as I'm concerned. You had to study screeshots to detect the minor improvements. Furthermore, they wasted space on 2 soundtracks instead of giving one higher bit one, brilliant! NOT!

Someday when this or other technology is more mature, Alexander may fit on a single disc comfortably? Till then, if that tomorrow ever happens, I'll gladly switch discs to hopefully ensure the PQ doesn't suffer. During a 3.5 hour movie I know I'll be pausing several times anyway. I tend to stay home for the movies these days precisely because I can pause......and I can consume liquid refreshment to my heart's delight and P in a clean restroom.

All this chatter so reminds me of flipper....and I don't mean the aquatic mammal.... It's like history repeating.
Let's all view the film before we cast judgements. The proof is only in the pudding.

post #27 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 11:35 PM

Why is this film delayed in Canada? Including Troy as well I think?
post #28 of 116 Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Yes, I think it would. Gods and Generals had a forced 12 minute intermission (12 minutes of black film) in the theatrical version which was edited out of the home video version. I was annoyed to see that change.

I wonder if that was optional? I don't recall it from my cinema experience. Titanic had an optional intermission. I called every theatre in town till I found one using the intermission. Some theatres want to treat us like cows...herd us in and out as fast as they can.

post #29 of 116 Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 AM

Who else than warner...
This is BS!
post #30 of 116 Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by H9K_ View Post

Who else than warner...
This is BS!

So...you guys who constantly complain about Warner wouldn't mind if they were to switch to HD-DVD exclusively? Keep boycotting their discs and see where it gets ya.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page