Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Thanks for stepping up,

the equipment list is nice but as long as it is calibrated correctly, and can decode the latest surround formats, is all one needs to show IMO.

Agreed.....
However if one like myself,does not have the ability to decode lossless.....Will I be shut-out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2672 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

John Mayer "Where the Light is"
Reference!!

Well, I am in the process of upgrading my system, and decided to purchase this BD, seeing as how it received such high marks. All I have to say is... FANTASTIC!!. This track is absolutely clean, with very "accurate" lows, and amazing carry through on the vocals. I can pick up every pluck of the acoustic/electric etc guitars from John. This BD really captured the "realism" of what a "Live" concert brings to the table.

A job very well done, I must say.

I rented this one over last weekend and while i'll agree with a lot of your thoughts on this one, I admit I had a difficult time understanding what he was saying as the singing sounded a little muddled. Then again I don't think John is known for clear articulation? The rest of the instruments indeed were of reference quality.
post #2673 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

As long as this thread doesn't turn into the PQ thread format I'm all for it. We should keep the format for voting as it is now!

Oh yes,let's try to avoid heading down this path if at all possible.
This is the one thread that I care the most about and still feel "welcomed" to post in.
The members who post in this thread all have good attitiudes,do not take themselves too seriously and keep the excessive debates and scrutiny to a bareable minimum.
post #2674 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Oh yes,let's try to avoid heading down this path if at all possible.
This is the one thread that I care the most about and still feel "welcomed" to post in.
The members who post in this thread all have good attitiudes,do not take themselves too seriously and keep the excessive debates and scrutiny to a bareable minimum.

How dare you say that Alex? I hate you! Just kidding
post #2675 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Agreed.....
However if one like myself,does not have the ability to decode lossless.....Will I be shut-out?

One of the specific requests of this thread is to identify which soundtrack you're rating. That includes the lossy core or companion tracks, if that is what your gear can decode. I just checked some of your older posts here, and I couldn't find an actual "review" that states which track you're rating. In other words I couldn't find if you disclosed that you can't decode the new codecs. If you did disclose this somewhere then I missed it, but In any case it is not a requirement to have to be able the decode the latest codecs, and your participation should be welcomed by all as it has been. So stick around.

On a personal note, I consider the mix itself far more important, then how it was encoded, but lossless is clearly the way to go IMO.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #2676 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:

Agreed.....

If you get shut out, I am out of here as well since I would not want to participate in a thread of that type of nature Just make sure to include what track you are listening to so people have a frame of reference. I imagine there are still quite a few people in your shoes and your reviews would be much appreciated by those members in particular (as well as the rest of us of course).

I would also echo thehuns thoughts as well and agree with him that the mix is clearly the most important thing (however, when you can step up to lossless you should as there are some advantages however small they may be which of course is debatable).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2677 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

One of the specific requests of this thread is to identify which soundtrack you're rating. That includes the lossy core or companion tracks, if that is what your gear can decode. I just checked some of your older posts here, and I couldn't find an actual "review" that states which track you're rating. In other words I couldn't find if you disclosed that you can't decode the new codecs. If you did disclose this somewhere then I missed it, but In any case it is not a requirement to have to be able the decode the latest codecs, and your participation should be welcomed by all as it has been. So stick around.

On a personal note, I consider the mix itself far more important, then how it was encoded, but lossless is clearly the way to go IMO.

Thanks......
I agree with your point about the mix itself and I have no problems listing what codec and format I'm listening to....
So,I've got some reviewing to do
post #2678 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

If you get shut out, I am out of here as well since I would not want to participate in a thread of that type of nature Just make sure to include what track you are listening to so people have a frame of reference. I imagine there are still quite a few people in your shoes and your reviews would be much appreciated by those members in particular (as well as the rest of us of course).

I would also echo thehuns thoughts as well and agree with him that the mix is clearly the most important thing (however, when you can step up to lossless you should as there are some advantages however small they may be which of course is debatable).

Thanks to thehun and Toe.....

This is what sets this thread apart from the others and I have a few recommendations/reviews to post.
I'm going to watch all of Body of Lies this afternoon and I'll post my final thoughts later

And I defintely plan on getting a new receiver sometime this year.....last year was about updating my video,and this year it's all about updating my audio for lossless capability.

But for the time being I am very happy with DD 640kbps and DTS 1.5Mbps.
post #2679 of 2680 Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Alright guys, I started a new tier thread for the audio.

I just need to get it stickied.
post #2680 of 2680 Old 02-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 480
^^^

this one unstuck

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Closed Thread Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page