Tier thread for audio - Page 90 - AVS Forum
First ... 88  89  90
Blu-ray Software > Tier thread for audio
alexg75's Avatar alexg75 04:33 AM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Thanks for stepping up,

the equipment list is nice but as long as it is calibrated correctly, and can decode the latest surround formats, is all one needs to show IMO.

Agreed.....
However if one like myself,does not have the ability to decode lossless.....Will I be shut-out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
davcole's Avatar davcole 04:39 AM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

John Mayer "Where the Light is"
Reference!!


Well, I am in the process of upgrading my system, and decided to purchase this BD, seeing as how it received such high marks. All I have to say is... FANTASTIC!!. This track is absolutely clean, with very "accurate" lows, and amazing carry through on the vocals. I can pick up every pluck of the acoustic/electric etc guitars from John. This BD really captured the "realism" of what a "Live" concert brings to the table.

A job very well done, I must say.

I rented this one over last weekend and while i'll agree with a lot of your thoughts on this one, I admit I had a difficult time understanding what he was saying as the singing sounded a little muddled. Then again I don't think John is known for clear articulation? The rest of the instruments indeed were of reference quality.
alexg75's Avatar alexg75 04:43 AM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post

As long as this thread doesn't turn into the PQ thread format I'm all for it. We should keep the format for voting as it is now!

Oh yes,let's try to avoid heading down this path if at all possible.
This is the one thread that I care the most about and still feel "welcomed" to post in.
The members who post in this thread all have good attitiudes,do not take themselves too seriously and keep the excessive debates and scrutiny to a bareable minimum.
daveshouse's Avatar daveshouse 05:49 AM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Oh yes,let's try to avoid heading down this path if at all possible.
This is the one thread that I care the most about and still feel "welcomed" to post in.
The members who post in this thread all have good attitiudes,do not take themselves too seriously and keep the excessive debates and scrutiny to a bareable minimum.

How dare you say that Alex? I hate you! Just kidding
thehun's Avatar thehun 01:56 PM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Agreed.....
However if one like myself,does not have the ability to decode lossless.....Will I be shut-out?


One of the specific requests of this thread is to identify which soundtrack you're rating. That includes the lossy core or companion tracks, if that is what your gear can decode. I just checked some of your older posts here, and I couldn't find an actual "review" that states which track you're rating. In other words I couldn't find if you disclosed that you can't decode the new codecs. If you did disclose this somewhere then I missed it, but In any case it is not a requirement to have to be able the decode the latest codecs, and your participation should be welcomed by all as it has been. So stick around.

On a personal note, I consider the mix itself far more important, then how it was encoded, but lossless is clearly the way to go IMO.
Toe's Avatar Toe 02:33 PM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg75 View Post

Agreed.....
However if one like myself,does not have the ability to decode lossless.....Will I be shut-out?



If you get shut out, I am out of here as well since I would not want to participate in a thread of that type of nature Just make sure to include what track you are listening to so people have a frame of reference. I imagine there are still quite a few people in your shoes and your reviews would be much appreciated by those members in particular (as well as the rest of us of course).

I would also echo thehuns thoughts as well and agree with him that the mix is clearly the most important thing (however, when you can step up to lossless you should as there are some advantages however small they may be which of course is debatable).
alexg75's Avatar alexg75 03:00 PM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

One of the specific requests of this thread is to identify which soundtrack you're rating. That includes the lossy core or companion tracks, if that is what your gear can decode. I just checked some of your older posts here, and I couldn't find an actual "review" that states which track you're rating. In other words I couldn't find if you disclosed that you can't decode the new codecs. If you did disclose this somewhere then I missed it, but In any case it is not a requirement to have to be able the decode the latest codecs, and your participation should be welcomed by all as it has been. So stick around.

On a personal note, I consider the mix itself far more important, then how it was encoded, but lossless is clearly the way to go IMO.

Thanks......
I agree with your point about the mix itself and I have no problems listing what codec and format I'm listening to....
So,I've got some reviewing to do
alexg75's Avatar alexg75 03:07 PM 02-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

If you get shut out, I am out of here as well since I would not want to participate in a thread of that type of nature Just make sure to include what track you are listening to so people have a frame of reference. I imagine there are still quite a few people in your shoes and your reviews would be much appreciated by those members in particular (as well as the rest of us of course).

I would also echo thehuns thoughts as well and agree with him that the mix is clearly the most important thing (however, when you can step up to lossless you should as there are some advantages however small they may be which of course is debatable).

Thanks to thehun and Toe.....

This is what sets this thread apart from the others and I have a few recommendations/reviews to post.
I'm going to watch all of Body of Lies this afternoon and I'll post my final thoughts later

And I defintely plan on getting a new receiver sometime this year.....last year was about updating my video,and this year it's all about updating my audio for lossless capability.

But for the time being I am very happy with DD 640kbps and DTS 1.5Mbps.
Fanaticalism's Avatar Fanaticalism 10:34 PM 02-27-2009
Alright guys, I started a new tier thread for the audio.

I just need to get it stickied.
markrubin's Avatar markrubin 05:12 AM 02-28-2009
^^^

this one unstuck
First ... 88  89  90

Up
Mobile  Desktop