Special Buys, Discounts and BOGO MASTER THREAD: Put all special deals here!! - Page 109 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTULCN View Post

do you think people were this hyped over finding a SD DVD for a good price back when they first came out? anyone remember Laser Disc, how much were they back in the day?

Yes, I do. My last LD purchase was "Lost in Space" for $64 (And I was a distributor at the time, so that was a discount!) And a week later I re bought it on DVD for $16. Life sucks being an early adopter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i couldn't find this info on the first few pages of this thread and didn't want to start a separate one, but what exactly is BOGO, which stores and store chains are doing it, and do they have this in Canada?

A google search of bogo didn't really yeild anything conclusive either.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanmotorsport View Post

i couldn't find this info on the first few pages of this thread and didn't want to start a separate one, but what exactly is BOGO, which stores and store chains are doing it, and do they have this in Canada?

A google search of bogo didn't really yeild anything conclusive either.

BOGO = Buy 1, get 1 free. Amazon has them what seems like every few weeks. Toys R Us just had one on Disney movies, but that sale ended yesterdy I believe. I don't think any are going on right now, but check this thread often, I'm sure one will pop up soon.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Buy One Get One.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 AM

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet
this should be a good way to jump start the BD collection.
thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC View Post

Uhh...you clearly don't remember the 3 for $1 sales after DVD was out for about a year. 800.com? Reel.com?...

No I don't, actually. As I recall it, DVD's had been out for quite a while before I saw them for less than $10. Even at $15-20, they still seemed like a bargain compared to LD's, though. I still marvel at seeing them for under $5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Yes, I do. My last LD purchase was "Lost in Space" for $64 (And I was a distributor at the time, so that was a discount!) And a week later I re bought it on DVD for $16. Life sucks being an early adopter!

Yeah... That's the way I remember it too! I still have over a hundred of those expensive LD's.

So being able to collect about 35 BD's for around $10 each seems excellent at this still early stage, especially considering how much value the dollar has lost in the interim.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:

do you think people were this hyped over finding a SD DVD for a good price back when they first came out? anyone remember Laser Disc, how much were they back in the day?

I still have a collection of about 220 LaserDisc movies. The original plastic
wrap are still on them because it was possible to just take a knife and cut
along the edge. Most of them still have the original store price tag on them.
(a lot of them were purchased from Tower Records... now gone forever)
Anyway, I just took a look and most of them are $29.99 (in 1990 dollars!),
with some as high as $59.99(Criterion LaserDiscs) Back then, they
rarely put LaserDiscs on sale. Now my LaserDiscs are just about the best
gigantic coasters for my coffee table...
Old 01-13-2008, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and do they have this in Canada?

No they don't. They really aren't putting any effort into moving media up here. Mr. & Mrs. Smith for $50 give me a _______ break. Your best bet is Future shop who provide the same movies that are in the BOGO deals and make them available at lower prices. I have picked up a number for $19.99. Watch the web site. Problem is I have picked up all the movies I would buy that are priced that way.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:33 AM

^ thanks jvillain.

i will keep my eyes peeled for those.
i have some family stateside as well, next time there's a bogo or a decent US sale, i'll send a bunch of vids to them and then drive over and pick em up.

its really too bad that we get the short end of the stick in terms of the retail market....oh well..at least our dollar is strong
Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The BOGO's are always the best value. With the extra 10% that I'm still getting, I can get titles for about $11 and change. The current sale just isn't as good.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

The BOGO's are always the best value. With the extra 10% that I'm still getting, I can get titles for about $11 and change. The current sale just isn't as good.

The current sale may not be as good, but for me the selection is better to choose from.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Ah, Laserdiscs, that brings back memories. Early on some of the LDs were in the $60 to $70 range. These were usually widescreen CAVs. Then the price of most releases seemed to stabalize at $29.99 and $39.99. Since LDs were clearly a niche product selling to a specialized market, there wasn't enough market demand to force prices lower. Back then, it seemed the best place to get deals was the Columbia LD Club. Here in the Seattle area a specialized LD store, Silver Platters, had the widest selection with the previously mentioned Towers next, all at list price of course.

To get back on topic, in its Sunday newspaper insert CC has a few BDs at $17.99. Titles pictured are Superman Returns, Superman II, Blood Diamond, "Bullitt", Goodfellas, Lethal Weapons, Training Days, The Fountain, The Fugitive, The Wicker Man, March of the Penguins, The Ant Bulley, Million Dollar Baby, The Dirty Dozen, Corpse Bride, The Phantom of the Opera and Enter the Dragon. All in all, a pretty ho-hum list with many of the titles low down on the tier list.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayRay View Post

Anyway, I just took a look and most of them are $29.99 (in 1990 dollars!),
with some as high as $59.99(Criterion LaserDiscs) Back then, they
rarely put LaserDiscs on sale. Now my LaserDiscs are just about the best
gigantic coasters for my coffee table...

So that $29.99 (in 1990 dollars!) would now be $15 in 2008 dollars. I made at least double the pay back then.

The Fox LDs were usually $59.99. One Million Years, BC for example. Good pressings though.

Some Criterions were $125. Close Encounters of the Third Kind was one. Still have it.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the same sale that's already been announced. Only good deal there is Close Encounters. The others were offered previously for less.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

So that $29.99 (in 1990 dollars!) would now be $15 in 2008 dollars. I made at least double the pay back then.

The Fox LDs were usually $59.99. One Million Years, BC for example. Good pressings though.

Some Criterions were $125. Close Encounters of the Third Kind was one. Still have it.

No, that $29.99 in 1990 dollars would be more like $60 now (accepting your inflation rate for the sake of discussion). If you made twice as much then, your buying power was four times what it is today. (I can relate to that, BTW.)

So even at BB's less than market setting $30-35 prices, BD's are in line with DVD's back then which sold for $15-20, to say nothing of LD's which were off the charts, especially those highly prized Criterion CAVs.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
do you guys remember having to open the LD player up and flipping the disc over to finish the movie? i only have a couple sd dvds that I have to do that with. i didnt mean to get the thread side tracked, i only buy HD or BR dvds that I really want unless i get a good deal because i dont want to end up paying more for high def dvds when one format will end up winning, driving the price down on the losing format. i think this thread is great, ihave saved at least $100 on high def movies from it
Old 01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

do you guys remember having to open the LD player up and flipping the disc over to finish the movie? i only have a couple sd dvds that I have to do that with. i didnt mean to get the thread side tracked, i only buy HD or BR dvds that I really want unless i get a good deal because i dont want to end up paying more for high def dvds when one format will end up winning, driving the price down on the losing format. i think this thread is great, ihave saved at least $100 on high def movies from it

Mine plays both sides, but there is still a long delay while it switches, often at a poorly chosen moment. Of course, a lot of movies were spread over two discs...

But back OT, I certainly agree about this thread. It's a huge help. And I'm sure it creates additional disc sales for this fledgling format. Let's hope the overzealous among us don't get it closed.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 330
One way to help solve the problem here is that somebody steps up to the plate and volunteers to maintain a list of current deals in a new "deals thread". This person would be responsible for keeping post #1 current with updates to the thread by others. It does involve some work and a out of date list is about as good as no list at all. So if somebody wants to help out, create a new deals thread and get post #1 setup with current deals. Once that's done we can make it a sticky and lock this one.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 PM

A couple people have stepped up. So I'm assuming a new thread will show up and if a couple others want to help the new thread owner that would be great. 2 or 3 sets of eyes are better than one. Thanks!

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

One way to help solve the problem here is that somebody steps up to the plate and volunteers to maintain a list of current deals in a new "deals thread". This person would be responsible for keeping post #1 current with updates to the thread by others. It does involve some work and a out of date list is about as good as no list at all. So if somebody wants to help out, create a new deals thread and get post #1 setup with current deals. Once that's done we can make it a sticky and lock this one.

larry

A better way to solve the problem would be to have a new sub-forum for special deals. One thread for each special like it used to be. However, since these are technical forums, that may not fly. The other best option then is to make the current Blu-ray Titles For Sale sub-forum serve dual purpose as classifieds and specials. Then each special can have it's own thread and each person can discuss how good of a deal they got because the special is the first post. Also, we won't have to wait for one or two people to update the first or second post. On top of that, it also gives people selling their titles a better chance because more eyes will see the current threads. As of now, I myself never even look at the Blu-ray Titles For Sale, and going by the thread view counts over there, neither does anyone else. That forum can be put to better use by making it dual purpose and that would probably be the best choice for everyone.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXinchnail View Post

A better way to solve the problem would be to have a new sub-forum for special deals. One thread for each special like it used to be. However, since these are technical forums, that may not fly. The other best option then is to make the current Blu-ray Titles For Sale sub-forum serve dual purpose as classifieds and specials. Then each special can have it's own thread and each person can discuss how good of a deal they got because the special is the first post. Also, we won't have to wait for one or two people to update the first or second post. On top of that, it also gives people selling their titles a better chance because more eyes will see the current threads. As of now, I myself never even look at the Blu-ray Titles For Sale, and going by the thread view counts over there, neither does anyone else. That forum can be put to better use by making it dual purpose and that would probably be the best choice for everyone.

Nope, sorry. AVS is here for technical discussions. Read the rules at top. There's other sites who's sole purpose is to find deals. There's really not that many things to follow when it's all listed in one post.

larry

Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM

Would suggest the format have the top candidates for deals each having a permanent section in the initial post: Amazon, BB, CC, DeepDiscount, Fry's, J&R, etc and the current deals can be updated as needed (B&M's weekly circular items, Amazon "real time", etc)...

And frankly, Amazon could have its own thread as the deals are most frequent there, and most of the conversation is around amazon...might help split the burden of updating as well if one person owned the amazon piece and somebody else owned the "everything else" deals thread...

Geez, leave me alone already, I have a PSThree!
Geez, leave me alone already, I have a Tosh AyToo!
Yes, I'm format neutral...Yes I post on "both sides"...
Old 01-13-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayRay View Post

sorry... I won't do it again.... but the point I was trying to make is that I should have bought every Blu-ray that was in the Amazon BOGO deal.... and waited for the sale.... I could have made a bundle cash, which is just as good as money itself.....

another thing is that I wanted to encourage those who bought from Amazon during BOGO to call them repeatedly, until they get a refund back! Some people give up too easily.... (I kept reading people posting "Fry won't match this..." "Amazon won't do that" "BB will not match Costco")

The downside to this is that it puts both people's jobs and future sales at peril. I read in an earlier post that at least one person was reported fired from ToysR'Us for not processing the coupons correctly. I don't think it's a good idea for us to deliberately put people at risk like that.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:29 PM

How long is Amazon lowest price guarantee good for? 30 days since order date?

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse."
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmitran View Post

yes.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry, based on the new rules, we can't answer that other than technical questions. Go find another site that discuss about deals.

Quote:

Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

30 days from SHIP date, NOT order date

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 01-13-2008, 03:58 PM

Here's the new deals thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=976789
It's a sticky and I'm going to lock this. New thread is in the process of having deals put in post #1.

larry