With all the heavy discounting on bluray titles- Could this mean? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A permanent price drop on high definition discs. The pricing structure on these things makes a bit difficult for me to be gluttonous (atleast the current model).

But the sales going on right now- makes this one collector's dream .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM

I hope all these sales lead to a reduced regular price. I feel like a fool for buying The Prestige and Pirates 2 two weeks ago from amazon, when right now I could have saved myself 24 dollars by getting one free .
post #3 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Well this could have been a promition to counter TF on HD DVD..., because strangely they do this THIS week of all weeks LOL

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #4 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Prices on HDM will definitely not fall this quickly. The studios wanted HDM because it would allow them to sell discs for big $$ and bring back the early days and big profits of DVD. If they start selling titles for >$15, there's no reason for them to push HDM over DVD.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I doubt it.

If we are to see *any* fall in the current price structure, I doubt it will occur sooner than early next year. If you think its bad, I invite you to Canada. Eh.

ted
post #6 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Like another poster said, it was to combat the release of TF on HD-DVD. I expect the pricing structure will go back to normal in the next couple weeks although we might get lucky and see some holiday sales specific to HDM (I hope).

Hat Trick: XBOX 360, PS3, Wii

XBL GT: Osiriis
PSN GT: Poseidon44
post #7 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAVHTx View Post

I hope all these sales lead to a reduced regular price. I feel like a fool for buying The Prestige and Pirates 2 two weeks ago from amazon, when right now I could have saved myself 24 dollars by getting one free .

You can e-mail them and get a refund as long as it is within 30 days of your purchase, I have done this before when they had a sale on blu-ray movies and they refunded me no problem.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

I hear that Best Buy, in the U.S., are going to be offering a 2 for $30.00 sale, on Sony titles, next week, starting on Sunday. Maybe this is going to be the start of something good in the price drop of Blu Ray disks.

I own a Samsung BD UP5000 with over a 1000 Blu Ray Movies

I also own a Toshiba D3 & Toshiba A30 plus 175 HD DVD Movies

post #9 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Nope, it's a firesale for them to get rid of all of their software before they declare bankruptcy and throw in the towel.

Jk, had to put some sort of spin on it.

In reality, it could mean one of MANY things. The most realistic being they are probably just trying to make sure that they can keep their winning streak and outsell Transformers.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quikzilver View Post

Like another poster said, it was to combat the release of TF on HD-DVD. I expect the pricing structure will go back to normal in the next couple weeks although we might get lucky and see some holiday sales specific to HDM (I hope).

Seems like it's definitely the season for sales this year. I've been practically spinning in circles with sales since early August, and although they've saved me plenty, they've also cost me plenty ! I'd kind of like them to take a break for awhile, but if prices for titles I want take another dip, I won't be ignoring it !

Still, sales volumes are still way too low to expect Studios to cut back their regular pricing. All we're seeing are marketing games, nothing permanent!
post #11 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

Prices on HDM will definitely not fall this quickly. The studios wanted HDM because it would allow them to sell discs for big $$ and bring back the early days and big profits of DVD. If they start selling titles for >$15, there's no reason for them to push HDM over DVD.

That is very true. I'm just going over options but there are several different reasons for them to drop prices. I know they wanted a high priced market like DVD and VHS were back in the day. Unfortunately that pricing scheme fell by the wayside the more mass market the whole home video section of CE became. They VHS was horribly high, so was LD, VHS crept down to below $20 per movie back in the day and DVD started in. They kept that price range for a while then dipped down after they got really popular. I don't believe that the consumer now sees movies as a high priced item any more, they are a commodity. The studios can still make money on these low priced discs though. It's called volume. It very well could be that they see the light and realize the best way to compete with DVD is to make them priced on par or a teensy bit higher. That way they can get people to "upgrade" their copies that they do have and buy ones they don't as well (hopefully playing off the whole "ooooo, it's HD!!!" mentality). If they keep their prices high like they did with LD and DVD back in the beginning years they've doomed the format. Look at the sales we got this week. We went apecrack on them. the studios may wake up and realize that with a price cut they get more movies sold. Right now many people are just getting their favorites because of the prices. just my 2 cents
post #12 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

It's a numbers boosting game, that's all---to make sure HD-DVD doesn't begin outselling them. Not to offend anyone but I think it's a short term strategy at best, and one that they can't keep up forever.
post #13 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

Not true. Regular DVD pricing means $15 to 19 on release day quickly falling to $6-10 in the bargain bin. HDM has the advantage still in that the bargain bin pricing is ~$15.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #14 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not to offend anyone but I think it's a short term strategy at best, and one that they can't keep up forever.

I think discounting media is actually a much smarter and sustainable practice than discounting hardware. The media itself costs relatively little. Plus people will pay a little more for hardware if they see that in the long run they will save money on software. I'm talking strictly about Sony's perspective, of course, the other studios don't really have any advantage when the discount software, other than possibly helping blu-ray to win.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just hope HD DVD does the same thing when Spider-man 3 comes out. I doubt they will though.
post #16 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't feel too bad, as most of us hard nosed price sensitive shoppers, have made the same mistakes in the past. Between occasional Amazon BTGO sales, the Fry's frequent sales on Sony titles, the rare BBY and CC BOGO sales, there is no reason to pay more than $15 (adjusted price), per movie if you don't have to have it as it comes out.

As a collector, i am slowing adding to my HDM collection and I have about 70 BD movies and 17 HD-DVDs. All my duplicate SD-DVDs are going on eBay, so to clear the clutter and also to rid myself of an old technology, which still brings in a few $$$ per movie.

I will never pay more than $15 per movie (after I learned my lesson) and as bad as I itch to have Kingdom of Heaven, I will wait till (if) Amazon ever offers that in their BTGO sale ;-)

Samsung: 52" 850 / 46" 61 / 40" 61 / PS3 / BD-P1500 / A3 HD-DVD / Format Neutral
post #17 of 34 Old 10-17-2007, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDwatcher View Post

You can e-mail them and get a refund as long as it is within 30 days of your purchase, I have done this before when they had a sale on blu-ray movies and they refunded me no problem.

Thanks for the heads up! I just sent an email, I should have realized that was possible.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to see regular MSRP pricing of $20 on all Blu-Rays with discounting from there. It's much easier to make an "impulse buy" at $20 or less.

As one other poster said, the media does not cost much to make. I'm not sure what HDM media currently costs, but I read that regular DVD costs about $3.00 at the most per disc for the manufacturer. The price sold of course takes into account profit for both the manufacturer and middleman and royalties paid to the producers and stars.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

BD player prices are still quite high. Maybe this will stimulate some folks on the sidelines for a purchase of a player. I've read where some folks are buying the software taking advantage of the price even though they don't own a player. Lots of folks were just renting BDs because of high software prices. I'm glad I waited until now for the price to be right before I purchased titles that interest me.

I would not agree though this was a tactic because of the release of Transformers. There would be lots of other films released on HD DVD that I feel IMHO BD would be more threatened by so to speak for sales for the week!
post #20 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDwatcher View Post

I emailed them and they shot me down... they told me "sorry but you need to order them within the specific time frame"... I'm going to send them another email.
post #21 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
maybe we'll get another huge sale when shrek and bourne are releasing.
post #22 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Id say its a numbers boosting game they are playing. Probably because everyone expects Transformers to do huge numbers, but with the b1g1f they are offering, they can at least counter the #'s in the sales results. That way they either beat HD DVD again that week, or at least come close and they can say " well look even with transformers, they didnt beat us by much". Id expect HD DVD to do the same if a high profile release came out.
post #23 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:

I emailed them and they shot me down... they told me "sorry but you need to order them within the specific time frame"... I'm going to send them another email.

Just tell them that if you would've bought the same two movies CC or any other retailer offering BOGO would've given your money back. The typical return/price match for B&M stores is 30 days. Tell them that you want to get one free or next time you'll buy movies somewhere else.

Blu-Ray's owned: 196
Latest Purchased: Bolt
post #24 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They shot you down? When did you buy them? They've always honored their price guarantee. I've done it quite a few times. If you bought within the last month, it's a virtual certainty you'd get a refund. Otoh, if you're talking a release day blockbuster 3months ago, well, time is money. I can't complain --- part of the fun is watching the movie on the day/week it is released, paying extra for that privillege is a given.
post #25 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post

I'd like to see regular MSRP pricing of $20 on all Blu-Rays with discounting from there. It's much easier to make an "impulse buy" at $20 or less.

I agree. When I see $19.99 with no tax and 2-day Prime Shipping at Amazon, my finger can't help but click "Buy Now"
post #26 of 34 Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

They shot you down? When did you buy them? They've always honored their price guarantee. I've done it quite a few times. If you bought within the last month, it's a virtual certainty you'd get a refund. Otoh, if you're talking a release day blockbuster 3months ago, well, time is money. I can't complain --- part of the fun is watching the movie on the day/week it is released, paying extra for that privillege is a given.

I bought it the week before this sale came on. I'm going to email them again.

edit: no, sorry it was 2 weeks before the sale, but still, that's only half of a 30-day price protection window. And to top it *all* off, the lady from "customer service" told me that there's nothing to be done, I have to buy within the window of the promotion, *and* to just watch the promotion pages on amazon.com. Then she kindly said she looks forward to my continued business...
post #27 of 34 Old 10-19-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuway View Post

A permanent price drop on high definition discs. The pricing structure on these things makes a bit difficult for me to be gluttonous (atleast the current model).

But the sales going on right now- makes this one collector's dream .

Not is a long wile, looks like Blu-Ray will be increasing in price due to production costs. Sony subitizing Studios is almost coming to an end, just look at all the Warner BD titles on delay. Sony is running out of cash and we know it 100%.
post #28 of 34 Old 10-19-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super XP View Post

Not is a long wile, looks like Blu-Ray will be increasing in price due to production costs. Sony subitizing Studios is almost coming to an end, just look at all the Warner BD titles on delay. Sony is running out of cash and we know it 100%.

Oooh, The Trollmeister speaks.
post #29 of 34 Old 10-19-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

This was most likely to clear out older inventorys . i'm sure many stores got stuck with alot of copies of movies that aren't selling (on both sides not just bluray mind you) this was a godo way to clear out those movies so that the stores can keep a more modest amount of them. Like 2-3 instead of 10.
post #30 of 34 Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post

This was most likely to clear out older inventorys . i'm sure many stores got stuck with alot of copies of movies that aren't selling (on both sides not just bluray mind you) this was a godo way to clear out those movies so that the stores can keep a more modest amount of them. Like 2-3 instead of 10.

Yeah, those poorly selling movies like POTC and POTC 2.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page