post #451 of 763 Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

The point that Xylon and I and many others, (including many review sites) is that the film now looks radically different in many scenes, much darker and with much less color than in all previous versions. We were told that all those versions were wrong, even many if not all the theatrical release prints and this new BD looks much closer to the fabled "answer print" that was the original intention.
Many of us think it looks much worse and even that it all just sounds like an excuse for a botched transfer and a way to avoid a very costly exchange program like with The Fifth Element, (and yes, that release was originally defended as well just as vociferously.)
Just our opinions.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall TFE being defended "vociferously". In fact, it seems to me that it was (rightfully) universally criticized.

Quote:

Reread this thread with Xylon's great work. Get the film and see for yourselves. Some like the new look, I would say that from all the sites and forums and reviews I have seen, most don't.

d

I have seen it. It is obviously not an "eye candy" type of title to begin with, and it is very soft.

But you guys can argue "directors intent" etc all day long and you won't get anywhere. Some will say that the special features have "elevated black levels", others will say they have more detail. I don't think there is a correct answer in that regard, other than personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 763 Old 02-23-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I think that The original film was most certainly "eye candy"
Have you seen it before the BD?
It's one of the most colorful and over the top looking films made at the time. Read any of the reviews at the time. It was called, "operatic", "theatrical" and was criticized by some for being TOO much so and that it wasn't "scary".
Just look back in this thread at the old captures.
edited for correction.

Also Xylon, an interesting thing, the film footage from the docs. that we think (in our opinions) looks better is from a DIFFERENT, earlier HD transfer, (been confirmed) A way to see this is the burned in subtitles for when Dracula is drinking the "blood" from the cross in the prologue, meaning it was a from an actual filmprint. The BD version uses player generated subs for this scene.
So it's not just a case of, "they adjusted the footage for the docs. to blend more readily gamma-wise, yada, yada.."
It shows that there was an earlier MUCH BETTER LOOKING HD transfer of the film! (just in our opinions)

Too bad we didn't get THAT version as the main "feature" on the BD.
The one that I and many others saw in HD on cable the year before the BD came out that pretty much looked just like the DVD, (and LD, and VHS...) color and brightness-wise but with higher res. (Once again, been confirmed that the film footage in the docs. was from an EARLIER HD transfer and since the SB dvd didn't derive from an HD transfer, that means they did it afterwards, perhaps years afterwards, but I guess that one was "incorrect" also. Amazing how many seperate transfers were wrong before. The VHS, WS VHS, LD, DVD, PAL DVD, (which was a different transfer yet the color and brightness look virtually IDENTICAL,)

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/dracula.htm

then the HD transfer that wound up on cable and the footage from the docs. was derived from. ALL these versions, done by many different people at many different times for different formats were all wrong, yet all pretty much looked the same, just like the photos from the film in the "official" Bram Stoker's Dracula screenplay book.

But the new one is correct, we're told.
And just because the studio says something it's always the truth? Like there was no EE on SW: The phantom Menace according to Lucasfilm...

http://www.videophile.info/Review/TPM/TPM_01.htm

Here's a review that pretty much nails exactly what we're saying...

http://www.dvdreview.com/reviews/pages/2692.shtml

"Bram Stoker's Dracula" is definitely a tough nut to bust when it comes to capturing all the details and delicate shades of the movie. Coppola's production is rich and colorful, reveling in shades of blood-red and night-blue, while often shifting the tonality of the entire image from warm earth tones to more frivolously saturated stylized shots, all the way to cool blues.

In high definition you would expect all these fine hues and tinges to be perfectly reproduced and I am sure they would if it weren't for one major flaw in the transfer. It is too dark. I have seen this film countless times in theaters and vividly remember the tones, the contrast and image information evident in the prints I saw so I was kind of disappointed to see that this transfer blocks most of it out, simply by washing up everything in an overly black presentation. Where once was image detail is now nothing left but murky shadows, where once was rich color, in many instances now we have a toneless shade. Where once was definition and finely tuned contrast, we now have an expressionistic look of a lithography..."

and this is all one has to really show, DVD on top, BD on bottom.

Where'd that nifty optical effect go...?

(Thanks to Xylon for grabs...)
post #453 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I watched the special features from BD again. Now remember the color and gamma timings similar to BD (in other words same transfer) are used more by the producer (K.Aubry), but there are snippets here and there where they obviously used a different transfer. The same ones used for the Superbit DVD.

Proof that a sharper better PQ master of this BD title exists somewhere in the vaults of uumm . . . . FFC? Zoetrope?

The hunt is still on for that elusive HD broadcast of the Superbit transfer. A member of another forum told me that TNTHD (unverified) aired Dracula that look nothing like the BD.

Keep an eye out for any future airing of Dracula like especially TNTHD.
post #454 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

It shows that there was an earlier MUCH BETTER LOOKING HD transfer of the film! (just in our opinions)

Yup. Sharper and more detailed.

I hope they don't burn it just to prove us wrong.
post #455 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

yep, I saw it on Cable the year before the BD came out.
The SBdvd was not taken from an HD transfer so the HD one out there with the burned in subs that they used for the doc. clips was done AFTER the SB was made. Yet still had those same "incorrect" colors and brightness issues, (according to the powers that be) Absolutely amazing that all those different people making BSD transfers over the years could screw the film up, brightening the image so we could actually see the sets and the optical effects and adding color so that we could actually see the way the costumes looked. And making the green moonlight blue. Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

And the "official" book of the film, and the Topps trading cards...

post #456 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I'm sorry, but I don't recall TFE being defended "vociferously".

Rob, you recall correct.
I never defended TFE vociferously as Mr. Mack alleges above nor did I say. Nothing is wrong with the transfer, that's how the film looks - as Mr. Mack states in another post here.
In fact to the converse, I encouraged a redo of TFE..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=37

Please also refer to page1 of that old thread ^ where Mr. Mack is accusing SPE that they were ALWAYS going to do a double dip! which is likewise a false accusation as there was never any pre-meditated ulterior financial motive.

For the record, the post supervisor for that particular title (TFE) assumed the master for that title was superb. That was an oversight in the quality control process, plain and simple during the early days of the format.
Might I add that since then, this same post supervisor has probably done more for the home theater enthusiast than any individual I can recall, offhand. Completely unrelated to The Fifth Element issue, he got flat panels into the HD suites after having noticed that grain/noise problems were appearing on consumer LCD screens which were not visible on the pro HD CRT screens due to the nature of the CRT raster lines softening some high-frequency detail and hiding those flaws.

He also wrote an industry report to highlight this issue and he encouraged other studios and post houses to do the same.
post #457 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I'd like to see Xylon's thoughts on the recent Run Lola Run disc. The colors just look plain wrong!
post #458 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

sorry penton, I honestly wasn't meaning you. I remember seeing people in the biz defending the title saying indeed that the title was fine. I have amended my previous post.
And yes, over a YEAR AND A 1/2 ago I speculated there would be a double dip and knowing Sony's history with double and triple dips on DVD, (Underworld, Spiderman, Blackhawk Down anyone?) and the fact that TFE came out basically bare bones without all the supplements would lead ANYONE to assume there would (and still eventually might) be a double-dip. Are you saying you know for sure that there won't be? And if there is then man, I'm right. And if there won't be then, wow, Sony really stiffed us on extras with this release.

Here's some reviews that echo this.

http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/fifth-element-the/5359/2

Extras:
Here's the puzzler. If Blu-ray discs are capable of storing 5-10 times the information of SD-DVDs, why aren't we getting extras, even on a second go-round? Is it because of contracts? In these early days of Blu-ray production, are the discs costing significantly more to produce so that there's no money left to buy the rights for added bonus features and still keep the product affordable? Or (and this is the cynic in me talking) are studios going to be playing the same game they did with the SDs and release a film two or three times, each time with more bonus features so they can milk the market for all its worth? I hope the latter isn't the case, because frankly I'm going to refuse to play that game a second time around with another format. They got me once, and that's enough for me.

http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php...diareview=8932

Extras
Disappointingly for fans of the film, there is nothing extra on this disc other than a Trivia Track which crops up with intriguing and amusing bits and bobs about the production, the story and the actors. Personally, I didn’t stick with it because it just didn’t keep my interest level up. Even the lacklustre original R2 release had more than this. My opinions of the movie, notwithstanding, a big budget FX spectacle such as things simplt demands more attention bestowed upon it.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29282

Extras:
Once again, only a single supplement from the Ultimate Edition DVD has carried over.

* Trivia Fact Track - The pop-up interface is a lot nicer-looking than the subtitles on the DVD. However, the writer of the trivia notes has an annoying affectation of referring to the movie's actors by their first names as if he was a friend, but can't ever seem to remember the name of "the director".

Missing from the DVD edition are six production featurettes and a photo gallery. You'd think if they were going to the trouble of re-releasing the title, Sony might have found some room to squeeze in a couple of these. No such luck..."

So I'm hardly the only one who felt that way. And this is many studios that have done this, not just Sony in the past. And for the record I DO own the remastered BD and it looks and sounds excellent.
But digging up 20 month old posts...?
EVERYONE including you would have some doozies if we all did that!!!

Cheers
post #459 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last year one of blu-ray.com moderator banned me so fast before I even made a counter argument about the state of the 1st release 5th Element.

Here is the thread: (dont worry if they delete it, I already archived it just in case)

Xylon is a fudster!

Yup, ladies and gents this guy is defending the PQ of the first release and he is not the only one. After the ban not one, including some AVS members over there disagreed with him. One member even gave me a nice gif image Well, you who they are. No question lots of people defended that piece of turd

This is the abuse we get us "AVS rabble rousers" from fanboys and zealots alike. Then again its just the mentality. Pathetic.

BTW the new remastered version of 5th Element looks much better isn't it?
post #460 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

I'd like to see Xylon's thoughts on the recent Run Lola Run disc. The colors just look plain wrong!

Yeah, they do look a bit different. Found these pics online:

HDNet: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8...1221421xz3.png
BD: http://www.image-load.eu/out.php/i25339_lola1.png
post #461 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

woah, quite a bit different there!

post #462 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Last year one of blu-ray.com moderator banned me so fast before I even made a counter argument about the state of the 1st release 5th Element.

Here is the thread: (dont worry if they delete it, I already archived it just in case)

Xylon is a fudster!

Yup, ladies and gents this guy is defending the PQ of the first release and he is not the only one. After the ban not one, including some AVS members over there disagreed with him. One member even gave me a nice gif image Well, you who they are. No question lots of people defended that piece of turd

This is the abuse we get us "AVS rabble rousers" from fanboys and zealots alike. Then again its just the mentality. Pathetic.

BTW the new remastered version of 5th Element looks much better isn't it?

Boy, you must be one of the most sensitive people that I know on AVS!

I read the entire thread that you posted above. I certainly never saw anyone in that thread call you a "FUDSTER", so your title above is just plain wrong.

Also, please indicate the exact post that you are describing as defending "that piece of turd" because, quite frankly, I don't see it. In fact, all I see is someone saying that the main reason for the PQ problems were based on the source print that was used. That is hardly what I would call "defending that piece of turd".

And yes, the new, remastered TFE most certainly looks better. And you do realize that a different print was used, right?
post #463 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric.exe View Post

Yeah, they do look a bit different. Found these pics online:

HDNet: http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8...1221421xz3.png
BD: http://www.image-load.eu/out.php/i25339_lola1.png

The BRD has a yellow color cast there. The whole movie or just certain outside scenes?
post #464 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

The BRD has a yellow color cast there. The whole movie or just certain outside scenes?

The whole movie.
post #465 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Argh.

Xylon, any chance of some comparisons? I hate thinking that the definitive version of Lola Rennt is the HDNet version with it's fugly burned in yellow subtitles.
post #466 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM

Ill have to see the whole thing for myself again.. but looking at these pics, the darker blu ray scenes, and even the green dracula looks better.
post #467 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

definitely check it out.
But the now green dracula is suppossed to be lit by moonlight and in all other versions it was blu-ish.

post #468 of 763 Old 02-24-2008, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

The BRD is just so sad to look at. Keanu might as well be in an empty warehouse. What's the point of building a highly detailed set and not seeing it in the finished product?

The release is botched. Like Traffic and other mishandled titles we'll have to wait for a real HD release. Hopefully Coppola will have a much more hands on approach with his other titles.

So true, Kram. Whats the point?

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/...wards_USA/1993

Again let me remind everyone that this movie won THREE Oscars:

Best Costume Design by Eiko Ishioka

Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing by Tom McCarthy and David Stone

Best Makeup by Greg Vannom, Michele Burke, Matthew Mungle

and a nomination:

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration by Thomas Sanders, Garret Lewis

Now lets all think about this for a moment, the Academy voters were given a choice to choose the best work for that year in their respective categories and Bram Stoker's Dracula won 4 nominations. Guess which version they reviewed? If you guess the "the version before Blu-ray" then you are right. BTW Robert Harris said that all the presentation everyone saw at the theaters "earlier video release dont matter" or the video release, or the Laserdisc . . . . . . . the BD version is the correct one (sic). If the "version before Blu-ray" is the wrong one then why is it good enough to win these Oscars? Let me think about this . . . . aha! maybe because they can see the costumes, the make-up and the set fully to appreciate the work of art.

Are you an Academy voter back then? How would you feel when you pop in your new shiny BD Dracula and you see this "I can barely see the Keanu!" Im sure you will think this not the same movie.

Are you one of the Academy Award winners?

Hey! I cant see my sets! Her Garret, can you turn up the brightness?

- Thomas Sanders

Sometimes some of the so called movie lovers are confusing to me.

PS: Hey Rob you have PM.

Dave clear your PM box. Its full.
post #469 of 763 Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I watched the special features from BD again. Now remember the color and gamma timings similar to BD (in other words same transfer) are used more by the producer (K.Aubry), but there are snippets here and there where they obviously used a different transfer. The same ones used for the Superbit DVD.

Proof that a sharper better PQ master of this BD title exists somewhere in the vaults of uumm . . . . FFC? Zoetrope?

The hunt is still on for that elusive HD broadcast of the Superbit transfer. A member of another forum told me that TNTHD (unverified) aired Dracula that look nothing like the BD.

Keep an eye out for any future airing of Dracula like especially TNTHD.

just by chance from another forum i stumbled onto this thread. i just want to mention, i have this version still on my HD-DVR. if there's something you guys want me to do, let me know.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #470 of 763 Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

5 months, 16 thread pages, and 23,000 views later and still no word from Sony regarding a remaster for Dracula.

Yeah, this Dracula thread is really pressuring Sony. They can't take much more. They're about to cave in any moment now and remaster it for the die hard fans.

LOL.
post #471 of 763 Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #472 of 763 Old 03-28-2008, 10:24 AM

here's my last contribution, :P

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #473 of 763 Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

i hate to be the one to dig this thread up, but i just bought this disc and watched it for the first time last night. it was magnificent.

first off, 99% of the screencaps here look a lot worse than this movie did on my calibrated xbr960. all of the dynamic range was there, including deep, deep blacks and basically all of the shadow detail that is typically identified as being absent from the blu-ray and present in the superbit dvd. was it subtle? yes, but it was definitely there. for scenes like the road on the approach to the castle, if you don't see detail in the road or the castle, your television is either set up wrong or is simply technologically lacking in its greyscale tracking, low-apl contrast and ability to pass pluge (not surprising, though, as lcd technologies, and to a lesser extent plasmas, are incredibly popular and suffer from these problems more than a good crt display).

secondly, the overall quality of the picture in general is astounding. yes, it is soft, but i can see film grain there so i have to assume that that's mostly caused by a soft film stock used in the original production (i'm sure the optical effects didn't help). colors are balanced, with subtle hues throughout complemented by bright, lush colors that don't look even a bit oversaturated (dracula's red cape, blue moonlight, orange sunsets, etc). the picture is dense, almost unfailingly filmlike, and bold without being overwrought. yes, the gamma is a lot higher in the superbit dvd... but i wouldn't want that transfer for the blu ray, honestly. it'd just be way too punchy.

so consider me a conscientious dissenter. i adore this transfer. more blu rays should look like this - like i have a 35 mm projector running in my living room.

oh, the pcm mix is amazing, too.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #474 of 763 Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM

This is one of my favorite films.

I wish we could have seen some of the extra's and in particular some deleted scenes as my understanding is that there is at least 30 to 60 minutes of footage never seen but originally considered for inclusion at the time of the release to cinema's.

I actually think the film should look dark and some of the stills shown on these pages look better than the Superbit transfer....The undead should not have too much color in their face.

My only concern is the scrolling text across the screen which is hard to see and almost invisible in the stills shown on these pages...Is it really so hard to see when watching on a large projection screen which has been calibrated ?
post #475 of 763 Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGonk View Post

i hate to be the one to dig this thread up, but i just bought this disc and watched it for the first time last night. it was magnificent.

first off, 99% of the screencaps here look a lot worse than this movie did on my calibrated xbr960. all of the dynamic range was there, including deep, deep blacks and basically all of the shadow detail that is typically identified as being absent from the blu-ray and present in the superbit dvd. was it subtle? yes, but it was definitely there. for scenes like the road on the approach to the castle, if you don't see detail in the road or the castle, your television is either set up wrong or is simply technologically lacking in its greyscale tracking, low-apl contrast and ability to pass pluge (not surprising, though, as lcd technologies, and to a lesser extent plasmas, are incredibly popular and suffer from these problems more than a good crt display).

secondly, the overall quality of the picture in general is astounding. yes, it is soft, but i can see film grain there so i have to assume that that's mostly caused by a soft film stock used in the original production (i'm sure the optical effects didn't help). colors are balanced, with subtle hues throughout complemented by bright, lush colors that don't look even a bit oversaturated (dracula's red cape, blue moonlight, orange sunsets, etc). the picture is dense, almost unfailingly filmlike, and bold without being overwrought. yes, the gamma is a lot higher in the superbit dvd... but i wouldn't want that transfer for the blu ray, honestly. it'd just be way too punchy.

so consider me a conscientious dissenter. i adore this transfer. more blu rays should look like this - like i have a 35 mm projector running in my living room.

oh, the pcm mix is amazing, too.

I pretty much agree with you. I've viewed this on two of my ISF calibrated displays - CRT RPTV and SXRD A3000. My opinion was the same on both. This is definitely one of the movies where calibration is probably extra crucial. I could also see the "handwriting" on both displays.

post #476 of 763 Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I pretty much agree with you. I've viewed this on two of my ISF calibrated displays - CRT RPTV and SXRD A3000. My opinion was the same on both. This is definitely one of the movies where calibration is probably extra crucial. I could also see the "handwriting" on both displays.

yeah, i could see the handwriting in the castle montage shots too. it was decidedly darker and way more subtle than in the superbit, but it was there.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #477 of 763 Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Honestly glad that you guys enjoeyed it but there are still issues.
Xylon's screengrabs were taken directly off of the BD disc...
Calibration doesn't come into play there though.

and the handwriting is actually in more than one scene.
On the BD in one, yes, it's visible but in the other pretty much nonexistant.

Quote:

And the previously blue moonlight now being green...?

Quote:

Let alone all the other drastic color changes.
post #478 of 763 Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I know the chances are slim, but since it's coming out in Japan with slight different specs, like including a DTHD; maybe they have made some adjustments to the video transfer as well.

The japanese branch of major studios have always been know for customizing their releases so, there's still place for hope, right?

http://www.so-net.ne.jp/movie/sonypi...code=BRS-14590
post #479 of 763 Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Would indeed be nice.
Too bad Criterion didn't still have the rights...

post #480 of 763 Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
It's amazing this thread is still alive. Good gravy, the pics don't lie. The release is a turd.

Selling my DVHS tape in anticipation of the BD was a HUGE mistake. Thank God I learned of the travesty before I plunked down my money.

But now I cannot watch one of my favorite films. Whoever has my DVHS tape, please give it back to me. Pretty please.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page