Bram Stoker's Dracula comparison *PIX* - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 763 Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry for the double-post. The Edit button doesn't like my IE8 browser for some reason.

Just wanted to say either they're damn fast, or I missed that it was renamed a minute ago. Thanks, mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 763 Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 AM

Just went through the new Sony UK re-release of BSD. It is the 2012 version.

The menus are identical to the 2007 version and those who were remotely hoping for the possibility of a new transfer are going to be disappointed.

Considering it is the 20th anniversary of the film, I think it falls way short of expectations for fans who saw it in the cinema.

The transfer is identical to the 2007 version and all the issues that some fans raised are still there. Now I am sure that transfer technology improved dramatically in the last 5 years as studios are now fully versed with the capabilities of the new format. But alas no, we got the transfer when the technology was newer and less explored.

I would have hoped that Sony for the 20th anniversary could have issued a 2 disc version. One with the older transfer that many preferred and was shown on HD Channels like Sky. The other with the new tinkered and revised look.

Sony had 5 years to prepare this and surely we could get some more documentaries added.

Just like some of the James Bond movies like On Her Majesty's Secret Service or The Living Daylights to name a few which have colour timing alterations. In OHMSS, in the opening scene where Bond tries to rescue Tracy, in the original it is supposed to be the break of dawn and it is supposed to be darker. But the new version is revised and it looks clear as day.

And I won't mention what an original sound mixer on the early Bond film said about his shock about the alterations. But of course, we still have to drink the Lowry koolaide and enjoy DNR at it's finest and be thankful for it like the idiots they think some of us must be.

I really want to Sony to dig deeper and listen to fans of BSD. It is a major film and unfortunately, I have to refer to my 1997 DVD or 2001 Superbit to watch the film as I remembered it. Ironic that a transfer 15 years old or 11 years old seems to be more pleasing.

This argument that this is exactly as the filmmaker intended is moot. Sky are allegedly showing the older wrong transfer still and that means that many viewers will get used to that look and appreciate it.

And the amount of DVD's on Ebay of the old version means that many will still be watching the film as allegedly unintended.

So I ask Sony to give us 2 versions on the same disc and let us decide which one we would prefer. The world will not end as we know it if there are 2 versions.

And please don't get me started that in 2012 it is harder for a film to have it's original burned in subtitles. That is another reason why this is not the version which accurately reproduces it's exact cinematic look. No expert can argue that one.
post #753 of 763 Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Liked: 12
Remember how baffled we all were when French Connection hit blu-ray with that bizarro transfer? We were even told that it was a Friedkin-approved revision. Then, not only did we get a proper-looking transfer, but Friedkin even spoke about how much he hated that first transfer too!!!

It would totally not surprise me to see the same thing happen with Coppola and Dracula.
post #754 of 763 Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There's also the Night of the Living Dead 1990 (a Sony-sourced transfer like BSD), which we were told was done under the "consultation" of its director of photography but in reality was totally changed without any specific input from him. All they did was get some basic direction from him over the phone and then they proceeded to wildly misinterpret him: http://www.cinemalowdown.com/2012/11/cinema-lowdown-exclusive.html
post #755 of 763 Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

Remember how baffled we all were when French Connection hit blu-ray with that bizarro transfer? We were even told that it was a Friedkin-approved revision. Then, not only did we get a proper-looking transfer, but Friedkin even spoke about how much he hated that first transfer too!!!
It would totally not surprise me to see the same thing happen with Coppola and Dracula.

The first French Connection transfer was definitely due to Friedkin. There is an extra on the Blu-ray with him and a video guy in front of a monitor showing how the effect was achieved. He seems to have done a u-turn and wiped that from his mind for the rerelease.
post #756 of 763 Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post

The French Connection got fixed because the DP got up in arms and persuaded Friedkin to do something about it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyone at all pushing Coppola to fix Bram Stoker's Dracula.
post #757 of 763 Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

The French Connection got fixed because the DP got up in arms and persuaded Friedkin to do something about it. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyone at all pushing Coppola to fix Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I can only assume that the reason to not fix BSD is a financial one as Sony have made huge losses. The Blu Ray of BSD works best for those who never saw the film in the cinema or on the earlier transfers.

Ignorance is bliss. And relaying Coppola's wishes for BSD is not exactly getting my confidence high that the 2007 Blu Ray is the definitive version. The defence of a transfer that has obvious technical issues is suspicious at best.
post #758 of 763 Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM

Liked: 50
post #759 of 763 Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
So this is the same old DARK-CULA transfer then. mad.gif

Blu-ray : 340
post #760 of 763 Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Personally I would not expect to see Bram Stoker's Dracula properly remastered until the next format comes out. Whenever 4K movies from Sony start rolling out, I could see a new transfer being struck. The chances of this movie being remastered for Blu-ray are slim and none.
post #761 of 763 Old 11-17-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

There is another way http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251182253244

Damn I was tempted but the bid is over $1000 now and that is pricey. Hi Vision Laserdisc.. Never heard of it.

Man, I would be willing to buy a HD copy of the old transfer and need to get one.
post #762 of 763 Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Stranger View Post

Personally I would not expect to see Bram Stoker's Dracula properly remastered until the next format comes out. Whenever 4K movies from Sony start rolling out, I could see a new transfer being struck. The chances of this movie being remastered for Blu-ray are slim and none.

That's a long way off and even then, we may still get a 4k darkened as well as less contrasted version. There is a trend sadly to make older titles look more contemporary.

As a fan, a 1080p transfer of the classic version is a dead end in terms of hoping.
post #763 of 763 Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very disappointing. I love the story, actors, and the way FFC put it all together. I would buy a quality remastered BluRay in a second.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page