SPIDEY 3 Warning: Currently incompatible with many BR players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From AVRev: (see thread elsewhere here where this has been confirmed by Samsung P1400 owners)

"Spider-man 3 on Blu-ray is one of the Holiday season's most highly anticipated releases on the 1080p high definition Blu-ray format but early adopters may have problems playing the disc in many of today's Blu-ray players.

Using a review copy of "Spider-man 3" on Blu-ray on local tests at AVRev.com, the disc struggled to play in the brand new Samsung BD-P1400. After an excruciatingly long load-up time, the disc starts to freeze and skip from the very start. Audio dropping out, picture stuttering, you name it. Compared to the mainstream consumer's expectation for DVD playback, most couldn't make it to the actual film.

According to various reports, other players including units from Sony, Pioneer and other stand-alone Blu-ray players are reportedly having issues with the blockbuster and feature laden HD release.

Playstation 3 does come to the rescue. The game machine plays the disc like a champ. Although one of the first Blu-ray players on the market, the Sony Playstation 3 is without question the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market. While a game machine isn't suited for many home theater applications, the lack of format incompatibilities paired with a low entry price makes the Playstation 3 the way many enthusiasts test the waters in a ferocious HD disc format war.

The release of Spider-man 3 on Blu-ray isn't the first time that new blockbuster Blu-ray title has failed to play on existing machines. When "Pirates Of The Caribbean" 1 and 2 were released by Disney/Buena Vista, there was hardly a player out that could play the movies. All the first generation Blu-ray players required an immediate firmware update which requires a DVD-R disc being burnt on a PC and run on a machine or the units to be connected directly to the Internet. Each and every one of the AVRev.com reviewers and editors who were using the Samsung BDP-1000 were unable to play new Pirates Blu-ray discs without the firmware update. The new BD-Java encoding of disc (which was necessary for the interactive Liar's Dice game) ironically prevented the movie from playing. So a consumer pays $30 for a disc to watch the movie, and the bonus features of the disc make it not play at all. How intuitive is that?

"Pirates Of The Caribbean" wasn't the end of Blu-ray titles being released and failing in many of the early players. Most recently, FOX released "The Day After Tomorrow" and "Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer" on Blu-ray. Both of these titles played on less than a handful of the players out there. Again, now it was the BD+ encoding of these discs reportedly that affected successful playback. A firmware update was needed by Samsung for the BDP-1000, which reportedly loaded the movie in an agonizing five plus minutes and then played the movie with more than its fair share of jitter, skipping, and freezing. The Samsung BD-P1200 reportedly did not play the movies at all. After inserting either of the discs, a screen appeared that stated the player could not play the discs and that a firmware upgrade was needed. Some of the newer players did better with the Fox and Disney titles. Playstation 3 still remains the most stable of the available players.

Consumers are struggling to understand why they need an HD disc player when DVDs work perfectly well in their systems. The difference between DVD and HD discs need to be seen and heard and then the upgrade is obvious. What is also obvious is the need for the Blu-ray camp to get their standards more stable so that studios can release top titles that work with relatively manageable number of Blu-ray players on the market. While the Playstation 3 is a tempting audience - it's not the only audience. A guy who drops $799 on a "top of the line" Blu-ray player, hooks it up via HDMI and is looking to the best video currently available doesn't want to hear that his player won't play that latest disc or that he needs to spend hours burning and running firmware update discs before he can watch a new Blu-ray film."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Let the HD fanboys start their campaign.

FYI, all three of the discs play fine on my Samsung BDP1000 with the latest update that was released about 2 weeks ago. The 1400 may need an update since I don't think they've had one since September.
post #3 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the Sony Playstation 3 is without question the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market. While a game machine isn’t suited for many home theater applications, the lack of format incompatibilities paired with a low entry price makes the Playstation 3 the way many enthusiasts test the waters in a ferocious HD disc format war.

Exactly what home theater applications is the PS3 not suited for? It meets all my HT needs. I'd like to see some specifics, otherwise that statement should be left out of the article. It seems to be in there only to say that all BD players have problems, which they clearly don't.
post #4 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

mine plays fine.
post #5 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A guy who drops $799 on a "top of the line" Blu-ray player, hooks it up via HDMI and is looking to the best video currently available doesn’t want to hear that his player won't play that latest disc or that he needs to spend hours burning and running firmware update discs before he can watch a new Blu-ray film."

That's funny. Takes about 2 minutes to download off the website, another 2 to 3 minutes to burn to cd, and however long it takes for the machine to update. Hardly hours. What a knob.

And last I heard, it wasn't just Blu-ray that needs to update their firmware frequently. Lost count of how many A2 update discs I have thrown out after updating.
post #6 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusnak View Post

From AVRev: (see thread elsewhere here where this has been confirmed by Samsung P1400 owners)

"Spider-man 3 on Blu-ray is one of the Holiday season’s most highly anticipated releases on the 1080p high definition Blu-ray format but early adopters may have problems playing the disc in many of today’s Blu-ray players.

Using a review copy of "Spider-man 3" on Blu-ray on local tests at AVRev.com, the disc struggled to play in the brand new Samsung BD-P1400. After an excruciatingly long load-up time, the disc starts to freeze and skip from the very start. Audio dropping out, picture stuttering, you name it. Compared to the mainstream consumer’s expectation for DVD playback, most couldn’t make it to the actual film.

According to various reports, other players including units from Sony, Pioneer and other stand-alone Blu-ray players are reportedly having issues with the blockbuster and feature laden HD release.

Playstation 3 does come to the rescue. The game machine plays the disc like a champ. Although one of the first Blu-ray players on the market, the Sony Playstation 3 is without question the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market. While a game machine isn’t suited for many home theater applications, the lack of format incompatibilities paired with a low entry price makes the Playstation 3 the way many enthusiasts test the waters in a ferocious HD disc format war.

The release of Spider-man 3 on Blu-ray isn’t the first time that new blockbuster Blu-ray title has failed to play on existing machines. When "Pirates Of The Caribbean" 1 and 2 were released by Disney/Buena Vista, there was hardly a player out that could play the movies. All the first generation Blu-ray players required an immediate firmware update which requires a DVD-R disc being burnt on a PC and run on a machine or the units to be connected directly to the Internet. Each and every one of the AVRev.com reviewers and editors who were using the Samsung BDP-1000 were unable to play new Pirates Blu-ray discs without the firmware update. The new BD-Java encoding of disc (which was necessary for the interactive Liar's Dice game) ironically prevented the movie from playing. So a consumer pays $30 for a disc to watch the movie, and the bonus features of the disc make it not play at all. How intuitive is that?

"Pirates Of The Caribbean" wasn’t the end of Blu-ray titles being released and failing in many of the early players. Most recently, FOX released "The Day After Tomorrow" and "Fantastic Four: Rise Of The Silver Surfer" on Blu-ray. Both of these titles played on less than a handful of the players out there. Again, now it was the BD+ encoding of these discs reportedly that affected successful playback. A firmware update was needed by Samsung for the BDP-1000, which reportedly loaded the movie in an agonizing five plus minutes and then played the movie with more than its fair share of jitter, skipping, and freezing. The Samsung BD-P1200 reportedly did not play the movies at all. After inserting either of the discs, a screen appeared that stated the player could not play the discs and that a firmware upgrade was needed. Some of the newer players did better with the Fox and Disney titles. Playstation 3 still remains the most stable of the available players.

Consumers are struggling to understand why they need an HD disc player when DVDs work perfectly well in their systems. The difference between DVD and HD discs need to be seen and heard and then the upgrade is obvious. What is also obvious is the need for the Blu-ray camp to get their standards more stable so that studios can release top titles that work with relatively manageable number of Blu-ray players on the market. While the Playstation 3 is a tempting audience – it's not the only audience. A guy who drops $799 on a "top of the line" Blu-ray player, hooks it up via HDMI and is looking to the best video currently available doesn’t want to hear that his player won't play that latest disc or that he needs to spend hours burning and running firmware update discs before he can watch a new Blu-ray film."

My thoughts exactly. Anybody serious about home theater really don't want a playstation 3 in their rack. Its in in there because of the price.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #7 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun View Post

Exactly what home theater applications is the PS3 not suited for? It meets all my HT needs. I'd like to see some specifics, otherwise that statement should be left out of the article. It seems to be in there only to say that all BD players have problems, which they clearly don't.

Of course you can use a PS3 in your home theater. Its just that people who are serious HT, the PS3 wouldn't be their first choice.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #8 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure my BDP-S1 will play it fine.
post #9 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Of course you can use a PS3 in your home theater. Its just that people who are serious HT, the PS3 wouldn't be their first choice.

And you have???
post #10 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:

I'm serious about home theater. PS3 is the best Blu-ray player on the market, why wouldn't it be my first choice?
post #11 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Have no fear ""Panasonic"" will play it.
post #12 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Audiophiles & videophiles look at PS3 as a gaming machine. Kinda like people want luxury cars BUT the most popular are the affordable ones. Hence...PS3 is the affordable blu-ray player. Thats the reason why its in so many home theaters right now.

post #13 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Playstation 3 does come to the rescue. The game machine plays the disc like a champ. Although one of the first Blu-ray players on the market, the Sony Playstation 3 is without question the most reliable Blu-ray player on the market. While a game machine isn't suited for many home theater applications, the lack of format incompatibilities paired with a low entry price makes the Playstation 3 the way many enthusiasts test the waters in a ferocious HD disc format war.

One of the reason why I am so glad I chose a PS3, although I didn't know this ahead of time. Anyone who is in the market for a BD player, I always recommend a PS3.

I think the only disc that the PS3 can't play, is the original "Chronos!"

RBFilms has release an updated version of that disc, so the new version plays just fine! They offer free replacements if you purchase Chronos, and it happens to be the original disc that will not play on the PS3's!
post #14 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

So, Sony, Pioneer and Samsungs are going to have problems with it? Any others?
J
post #15 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon37 View Post

Narrow-mindedness FTW!!!!

So you mean to say "Rich people need to spend 2000 dollars on a blu-ray player that doesn't do anything more than a 400 dollar PS3 just so they can say, I have a 2000 dolar Blu-ray player, man I love myself excuse me while I wipe my ass with 100 dollar bills"

Gotcha.

Will PS3 pass bitsream to a compatible receiver? Yes or no? I own one these receivers that require this feature.

post #16 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Audiophiles & videophiles look at PS3 as a gaming machine. Kinda like people want luxury cars BUT the most popular are the affordable ones. Hence...PS3 is the affordable blu-ray player. Thats the reason why its in so many home theaters right now.

wow, i don't think you can be more wrong. i think we can agree most of the ppl here at avs qualify as audio/videophiles, and ps3 is most likely the most owned blu-ray player among them. ppl who think of it as a gaming machine first is just being ignorant. if i looked it as a gaming machine i wouldnt have nearly 50 blu-ray movies and zero games.
post #17 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Just because you think its the best it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong for not having the same view. The most popular does not translate into the best.

post #18 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

So, Sony, Pioneer and Samsungs are going to have problems with it? Any others?
J

Toshiba, RCA (rebadged Toshiba), XBox and Venturer.
post #19 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Let the HD fanboys start their campaign.

FYI, all three of the discs play fine on my Samsung BDP1000 with the latest update that was released about 2 weeks ago. The 1400 may need an update since I don't think they've had one since September.

Yep...The HD DVD fanboys are just pissed they don't have Spiderman!! They have Transfudderrs instead (oops so do I)...

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #20 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't know about that. PS3's aren't really that cheap and I've seen some stand alone players for less than a PS3.

And again, what are you using?
post #21 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will PS3 pass bitsream to a compatible receiver? Yes or no? I own one these receivers that require this feature.

No, but there is only one player that currently does and it's still well below "standard" of luxurious overpriced CE equipment.
post #22 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

wow, i don't think you can be more wrong. i think we can agree most of the ppl here at avs qualify as audio/videophiles, and ps3 is most likely the most owned blu-ray player among them. ppl who think of it as a gaming machine first is just being ignorant. if i looked it as a gaming machine i wouldnt have nearly 50 blu-ray movies and zero games.

In a recent article in VIDEO BUSINESS, it was indicated that only 20% of PS3 owners use it for movies. It certainly is considered a gaming machine first, but the BR "extra" has certainly been a boost for the format. Particularly when there were not a lot of games for it! Owners had to use it for something! (Another thing to remember when considering those who prefer stand-alone players...the PS3 doesn't always fit well in an A/V rack.)
post #23 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Toshiba, RCA (rebadged Toshiba), XBox and Venturer.

lol! You forgot Onkyo!
post #24 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In a recent article in VIDEO BUSINESS, it was indicated that only 20% of PS3 owners use it for movies. It certainly is considered a gaming machine first, but the BR "extra" has certainly been a boost for the format. Particularly when there were not a lot of games for it! Owners had to use it for something! (Another thing to remember when considering those who prefer stand-alone players...the PS3 doesn't always fit well in an A/V rack.)

thank you

post #25 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Somebody slap this man with a mullet.

Oh wait. Sorry. Wrong thread.
post #26 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Gosh dang you guys..

The PS3 is a great piece of equipment, get over it...just screw in a couple of "L" brackets in the bottom of it and it fits just fine in a rack...I think its quite pretty, actually...
post #27 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

uh, yes it will. it bitstreams anything a player can bitstream. if you're talking about the 1400 doing advanced audio, well no other player can do it as of now so it's pointless to use that against the ps3.
post #28 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

thank you

kemiza said audio/videophiles look at it as gaming machine first, he didnt say ps3 owners.
post #29 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

kemiza said audio/videophiles look at it as gaming machine first, he didnt say ps3 owners.

another smart poster

post #30 of 194 Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny how some people cannot stay on topic.
What players are going to need a FW update for this, and when will they be available?
J
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page