Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator View Post

I didn't say it's going to happen; I just answered the question about how an improvement could be had.

Was more joking in general than having a pop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

When-or-if they extract another iota of quality out of the original source materials, I will go to the trough again.

Darn tootin'!

I don't feel special...
post #273 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRonHoover View Post

Doug Trumbull was on NPR last night. He wants to make, and is working on, making the movie going experience more like Cinerama was back in the day.
Great interview with plenty of talk about 2001, Blade Runner, Close Encounters, etc.

I'd love to hear that!

Was it a podcast? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Rich H

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #274 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I'd love to hear that!

Have you seen his showscan stuff, it's pretty amazing
post #275 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

....As an aside, it is astonishing what you can get for $xx these days, vs. what we paid for "deluxe" laserdiscs way-back-when (just the Japanese box set probably was >$100).....

My dad gave me the Criterion LD for Christmas one year. It was $80 even with the Ken Cranes 20% off. Christmas couldn't come often enough!

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #276 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Have you seen his showscan stuff, it's pretty amazing

Yes I have, in London. Quite memorable! Too bad it didn't take off. But there does seem to be a push starting in that direction again.

Rich H

post #277 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

My dad gave me the Criterion LD for Christmas one year. It was $80 even with the Ken Cranes 20% off. Christmas couldn't come often enough!

You, my dear, are one lucky lady to have (or have had) such a dad!
post #278 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Yes I have, in London. Quite memorable! Too bad it didn't take off. But there does seem to be a push starting in that direction again.

I think the IMAX growth and added value in cinema may help it
post #279 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I'd love to hear that!

onpoint.wbur.org/2012/03/05/future-of-films
post #280 of 347 Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I'm pretty sure I saw the same back in 1968. I do recall noticing the "seams" occasionally. And I saw projector light emanating from three sources. I only remember because that was something I'd never seen more. (Plus, the teacher who brought us on the field trip mentioned it as well.) It was very faint and had zero negative effect on the experience. My memory is clear about it (I even remember various comments other classmates made while the film was running) because the Cinerama premiere showing was a unique movie experience for me that was never equalled again. After its Cinerama run, when the movie came to the local theater, I forced my parents to take me to see it again. I'll never forget my dismay...the clarity and sharpness I saw in Cinerama was gone, replaced by what I thought was a fuzzier (and, of course, smaller) presentation. It was the first time I realized that how one views a movie could affect how much one enjoys it. Something that I carried over even into viewing films at home. (VHS? No thanks...I'll take laserdisc, thank you very much.)

You and laser fan need to stop Stop. Stop. That's three stops, just like three panel Cinerama. You never EVER saw 2001 in three panel Cinerama. How many times do you need to be told this? If you're remembering it, you're memory is faulty and playing tricks on you, which is quite common with movies. The film was shot in 70mm - period. Never three panel. EVER. Not possible and therefore you never saw it. Not in 1968 (I was at the premiere in Hollywood - one projector, one 70mm print, on their curved screen), and not in any subsequent reissue. I say stop because this is how ridiculous urban legends happen. So, to reiterate, you never saw what you think you saw.
post #281 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

You and laser fan need to stop Stop. Stop. That's three stops, just like three panel Cinerama. You never EVER saw 2001 in three panel Cinerama. How many times do you need to be told this? If you're remembering it, you're memory is faulty and playing tricks on you, which is quite common with movies. The film was shot in 70mm - period. Never three panel. EVER. Not possible and therefore you never saw it. Not in 1968 (I was at the premiere in Hollywood - one projector, one 70mm print, on their curved screen), and not in any subsequent reissue. I say stop because this is how ridiculous urban legends happen. So, to reiterate, you never saw what you think you saw.

I'm not disputing how the film was shot, but there were three beams of light emanting from three projection areas. It was the only time I've ever seen that. (And, as I said, it was also brought up in the next day's discussion...along with "What the heck was the movie about???") Maybe two of the beams were swamp gas? :-)

post #282 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I'm not disputing how the film was shot, but there were three beams of light emanting from three projection areas. It was the only time I've ever seen that. (And, as I said, it was also brought up in the next day's discussion...along with "What the heck was the movie about???") Maybe two of the beams were swamp gas? :-)

Assuming your memory of the event is perfect (which is NOT necessarily a valid assumption--people often confuse one memory with another), all you can say is that you saw three lights in the projection booth area. In fact, you can't say you actually saw three projectors running simultaneously during the movie. It's only your after-the-fact assumption, nothing more.
post #283 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Assuming your memory of the event is perfect (which is NOT necessarily a valid assumption--people often confuse one memory with another), all you can say is that you saw three lights in the projection booth area. In fact, you can't say you actually saw three projectors running simultaneously during the movie. It's only your after-the-fact assumption, nothing more.

Actually SEE three of them running...no. Just three beams of light aimed at the screen. And, as I said, reiterated in the classroom by others the following day. And I do remember the seams...easy to remember because I had never seen it before...or since...on ANY film. Even though it was so long ago, 2001 in Cinerama was the most memorable film experience I've ever had and I will never forget it, much less confuse it with another. No other film experience (or any subsequent viewing of the film in any theater or revival) ever matched it, unfortunately. Certainly, no movie I've ever seen on a 4X3 IMAX presentation has even come close. I'm not disputing anything others have mentioned on how it (or what) was shot.
Most here have researched this far more than I haver. I'm just reporting what I did see. (I'm less clear on any later-excised footage footage that may have been included during that premiere run...some recollections, but can't swear to them.)

As for what Trumbull may be planning, I'll believe it when I see it. Never saw Showscan anywhere, so I'm not holding my breath,,,but will still hope for the best.

post #284 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The seams you saw were likely on the screen itself. Most Cinerama screens were made in panels: a center section of regular perforated material and then the left and right sides which had the adjustable louvered strips.

Where did you see 2001 and how soon after it opened?

post #285 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
According to IMDb; 2001: A Space Odyssey under Cinematographic process list the movie with Cinerama and Super Panavision 70.

Wikipedia;
Quote:

2001: A Space Odyssey; Release

The original 70 mm release, like many Super Panavision 70 films of the era such as Grand Prix, was advertised as being in "Cinerama" in cinemas equipped with special projection optics and a deeply curved screen. In standard cinemas, the film was identified as a 70 mm production. The original release of 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70 mm Cinerama with six-track sound played continually for more than a year in several venues, and for 103 weeks in Los Angeles.

Quote:

Seattle Cinerama
2001: A Space Odyssey had an exclusive run locally at Seattle Cinerama for nearly two-and-a-half-years following its original release in the fall of 1968.

2001: A Space Odyssey was mainly filmed in Super Panavision 70 with some scenes in Todd-AO and MCS-70.
The film was presented in "standard" 70mm in cinemas with 70mm projectors and in "three strip 35mm" in Cinerama cinemas worldwide.
2001: A Space Odyssey was also released in 35mm worldwide where 70mm projection was not available,
in addition; 16 mm ("flat" version)
8 mm (Cineavision, 1:2,35, anamorphic) was made.

So there was obviously 3-Strip Cinerama prints made of this movie. But how many of the cinemas advertised as Cinerama actually was Cinerama cinemas is up for debate, like this statement;

Quote:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2004/2001_in_70mm/index.htm
It seems that practically any city with a Cinerama theatre played the film, and by the late 1960s, at its peak, there were more than 150 cities with at least one such venue.

(With rare exception, post-1963 Cinerama was Cinerama in name-only.
Post-’63 Cinerama is recognized to be single-strip 70mm, not the original 35mm/six-perf three-strip format.)

Many other 70mm-equipped, non-Cinerama cinemas played the film in 1968, promoting the film in “regular” 70mm rather than Cinerama. “2001” was put into 35mm general release beginning in autumn 1968.

"2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY" PREMIERES IN CINERAMA, NEW YORK CITY

Quote:

http://kubrickfilms.warnerbros.com/video_detail/2001/
Although released in Cinerama, 2001 was not shot with three cameras but with one camera on 70mm film with a special anamorphic lens to widen the image.

So if anybody claim to have seen "2001: A Space Odyssey" as a 3-Strip CINERAMA presentation, that is very possible.
post #286 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Interesting. Even the Warner Bros site is wrong. Super Panavision did NOT use an anamorphic lens.

post #287 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolscan View Post

So if anybody claim to have seen "2001: A Space Odyssey" as a 3-Strip CINERAMA presentation, that is very possible.

It's more accurate to call it a three strip version of a 70 mm film. It was not true Cinerama, since it was not shot with three cameras,
post #288 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's more accurate to call it a three strip version of a 70 mm film. It was not true Cinerama, since it was not shot with three cameras.
post #289 of 347 Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Interesting. Even the Warner Bros site is wrong. Super Panavision did NOT use an anamorphic lens.

Indeed. It was the Ultra Panavision format that used anamorphic lens.
post #290 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

The film was presented in "standard" 70mm in cinemas with 70mm projectors and in "three strip 35mm" in Cinerama cinemas worldwide.
2001: A Space Odyssey was also released in 35mm worldwide where 70mm projection was not available,
in addition; 16 mm ("flat" version)
8 mm (Cineavision, 1:2,35, anamorphic) was made.

So there was obviously 3-Strip Cinerama prints made of this movie.

Having had my assertion called into question, I did of course surf on "3-strip presentation" for 2001 and did not find anything. Although I don't disagree with your assertion, I still don't see the authoritative proof of it.

FWIW I have never argued that 2001 was shot in 3-cam Cinerama (I know that it was not), only that I've seen it in venues where one could discern the two vertical registration lines (sometimes more easily than others).

The last time I saw 2001 on a Cinerama screen, it would have been the Cooper theater in Minneapolis--there's a member here at AVS who was a projectionist for them. I'm sure he would know if it was ever presented in a 3-strip format (can't remember his name!). There was also a Cooper in Denver--I wonder if these theaters could only project in 3-strip or if they had another PJ or lens arrangement...
post #291 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Do we have any reason to believe that there will be a better version of 2001 released ?

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #292 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The seams you saw were likely on the screen itself. Most Cinerama screens were made in panels: a center section of regular perforated material and then the left and right sides which had the adjustable louvered strips.

Where did you see 2001 and how soon after it opened?

It was in New York City during its 1968 premiere run. Can't recall how many days or weeks it was after the opening day, though.

post #293 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the info. Unless it was within 2 or 3 days of the premiere, you saw the cut version. Kubrick was actually cutting the 70mm print that was screening at the Capitol, contemporaneous accounts talk about how people were viewing a film print that had damage and splices in it. It took MGM a couple of days to strike a new 70mm print for the Capitol and other venues.

post #294 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Unless it was within 2 or 3 days of the premiere, you saw the cut version. Kubrick was actually cutting the 70mm print that was screening at the Capitol, contemporaneous accounts talk about how people were viewing a film print that had damage and splices in it. It took MGM a couple of days to strike a new 70mm print for the Capitol and other venues.

Probably right, although I still seem to remember seeing the pod's claws cutting Poole's line. But that could just be an impression...no way I can be sure after all this time.

post #295 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Do we have any reason to believe that there will be a better version of 2001 released ?

Art

IIRC the Bits said that Warners are apparently looking at an Anniversary release for next year. Be a damned shame if they did a Clockwork Orange and simply used the same HD DVD era encode though, as this large format beauty deserves more.
post #296 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Art

Extras, yes.
PQ I seriously doubt it.
post #297 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Extras, yes.
PQ I seriously doubt it.

I just watrched it again this evening. I have to believe that there is an opportunity to improve the resolution quite a bit . Sad if it never happens.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #298 of 347 Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I just watrched it again this evening. I have to believe that there is an opportunity to improve the resolution quite a bit . Sad if it never happens.

Art

Is it really resolution you find lacking, or is it contrast?
post #299 of 347 Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

There are scenes with poor contrast but I just have to believe that the resolution could be improved significantly.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #300 of 347 Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

It's not necessarily about finding the existing release lacking; it's about knowing how much better is possible.

I don't feel special...
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page