How do the Cars special features work? Twin encodes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! Can I just ask a quick question? I was having a mess around with Cars on Blu-ray last night (BEAUTIFUL picture and sound by the way!) and I was wondering how does the special in movie experience work? How is it done? I thought this kind of trickery wasnt possible till the newer profile 1.1 players were out? Can any tech savy folks out there tell me how the player does all this?
Is there 2 seperate encodes of the movie on this disc? The reason I ask is because whilst watching just the 'normal' version of the movie (no special features,pop ups etc) I couldn't just 'jump into' any of the comentary tracks using the 'audio' function on my remote control-the OSD of my Panny Blu-ray player only showed 2 available soundtracks, the Dolby Digital and the PCM track. I'm just curious as to how the heck this technology works on these new HD discs. One other thing I only JUST noticed is that you never see the tell tale layer change on these movies either! All clever stuff, and I'm loving it! lol
Anyway, if anyone can tell me how its done, I'd really appreciate it!
Many thanks, in advance,
Steve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-12-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Actually, Cars isn't using the secondary video encoder found in the 1.1 players. If you'll notice, all of the in-movie experience VIDEO scenes are done by taking you completely out of the movie.

As I understand it, all of this extra stuff on Cars is Java-based. It is compatible with ALL Blu-ray players. However, down the road (no pun intended), expect to see secondary video that plays IN the main movie. Basically, the same way the still-photos extras pop up on screen during the movie with Cars, only, it will be a secondary VIDEO movie in movie. That is when they will be using the secondary video decoder in Profile 1.1 players. Older players will not be able to play that particular type of content.

FWIW, the secondary video decoder has been standard in HD DVD since day one. It's one of the reasons I went with HD DVD first, and also one of the reasons I waited for a profile 1.1 player before going with Blu-ray.

Mark
post #3 of 5 Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I like getting the in movie thing in full screen.

But I think he's asking about the pictures and sketch overlays.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm mostly curious why those 2 extra commentary tracks, cant be accessed using the audio button on the remote, when viewing the film normally. They dont show as available tracks, which kinda had me thinking if they were 2 seperate encodes of the movie on the disc...
post #5 of 5 Old 11-12-2007, 11:38 AM

Blu-ray can do subtitles two ways - using a system where the subtitles are rendered fonts (not used often) or where they are graphics, like in DVD - only with much higher bandwith and more flexibility in where you place graphics, and support for things like transition effects. These graphical "subtitle" streams are actually known as "Presentation Graphics" or PG streams. They can be used with any still graphics that fit within the bandwidth constraints, and are able to show video still images like with the two commentaries in Cars. This is part of Profile 1.0 and works on any player.

RV uses the same mechanism to do the "coach's clicker" style highlight effect on screen when the director's commentary is running on that disc.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page