Live Free or Die Hard issues on Samsung BD-P1200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone else having issues with Live Free or Die Hard on a Samsung BD-P1200? After inserting the disc, it tries to load (slowly) and then ends up only displaying "Slideshow" scrolling on the DVD player and no video output to the TV.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the Java menus after reading the Die Hard 2 / BD-1000 thread.

I have the latest firmware (2.0) available on Samsung's site, with a build date of 10-29. (I was hoping for new firmware after seeing the BD-1000 had new firmware released today, but no luck).

Thanks.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Liked: 12
after loading mine up it just sits at 00:00 on the LCD of the player and if i hit the play button or disc menu button i get the red circle indicator meaning i can't access it. I brought the disc back the BB and they even tried playing the disc on the BDP1400 and no go...The Magnolia Associate decided to try it on the Pioneer Elite Blu Ray...i'm not sure what model player it was but it took almost 5 minutes to load the movie...finally the disc stopped but didn't show any menu functions on the TV but on the LCD display on the player it did show the time of 00:00...so he hit the play button and it worked...he really didn't have an answer but thought something was wrong since it didn't allow him any menu options...
post #3 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:17 PM

I have the same problem with my BDP-1000. So sick of this crap with blu-ray and Samsung. I think I am going to go to HD-DVD.
post #4 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINECOP View Post

I have the same problem with my BDP-1000. So sick of this crap with blu-ray and Samsung. I think I am going to go to HD-DVD.

May want to look over on the HD DVD player forum and see what a lovely time they have with their players too.

Just update your firmware and be happy. Jeez.
post #5 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All HD or BD players have issues. Update the firmwares and pray that it works.

Yeah it sucks. You are an early adopter so take it like a man!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silwenae View Post

Anyone else having issues with Live Free or Die Hard on a Samsung BD-P1200? After inserting the disc, it tries to load (slowly) and then ends up only displaying "Slideshow" scrolling on the DVD player and no video output to the TV.

Paul

I'm having exactly the same problem. The player goes into "Slideshow" mode after inserting "Live Free or Die Hard" into the Samsung BD-P1200 which has been updated with the latest firmware. Any announcements from Samsung on this? Are they even aware of it?

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #7 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARINECOP View Post

Or get a different player . . . unlike your other option, there are many different manufacturers of equipment . . . this isn't a Blu-ray problem, it's a Samsung problem. Don't blame the format.
post #8 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post

Or get a different player . . . unlike your other option, there are many different manufacturers of equipment . . . this isn't a Blu-ray problem, it's a Samsung problem. Don't blame the format.

I posted this earlier in another thread, but here it goes again:

Quote:

In all honesty, I don't blame Samsung or any other manufacturer for this. Blame the studios and how they encode these new movies and load them with so many extras and other java crap that these players can't handle them until they are updated. And at least Samsung came through with an update rather quickly.

post #9 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

I posted this earlier in another thread, but here it goes again:

It seems Samsung is the only one who has consistent issues . . . my PS3 has never skipped a beat. There are rarely any complaints about Panny players, Pioneer players, etc. The studios are trying to be progressive with this progressive format. Shame on them
post #10 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It seems Samsung is the only one who has consistent issues . . . my PS3 has never skipped a beat. There are rarely any complaints about Panny players, Pioneer players, etc. The studios are trying to be progressive with this progressive format. Shame on them

FYI, here's a list of all the updates for some players that just came out this week. It's not just Samsung. As for the PS3, don't you have to do periodic updates on that as well?

Samsung 1000 version 1.3 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...sp_nm=BD-P1000

Samsung 1400 version 1.2 http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...sp_nm=BD-P1400

Sony s300 3.3 http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...00&region_id=1

Sony s500 3.1 http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...00&region_id=1

Sony s1 3.2 http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...S1&region_id=1

Panasonic BD30 1.2 http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...bd30/bd30.html

Pioneer HD1 3.65 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent

Pioneer 94 2.36 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
post #11 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FYI, here's a list of all the updates for some players that just came out this week. It's not just Samsung. As for the PS3, don't you have to do periodic updates on that as well?

Yeah . . . but my point is those updates are always ready for releases that require them, where Samsung is consistently dragging ass, ie LFODH and FF:ROSS. I'm not saying you don't have to update the players.
post #12 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah . . . but my point is those updates are always ready for release day, where Samsung is consistently dragging ass. I'm not saying you don't have to update the players.

Call Samsung and ask them why they like to drag their ass. I have no idea. But I do know that they do issue updates. Might take them a while, but they do get them out. This one was released yesterday for discs that were released today. What more do you want?

Back to the OP and his problem. I'm sure Samsung will have an update soon for the 1200. Give them a call and at least let them know you are having a problem. They might have some information (highly doubtful, but you never know).
post #13 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Are you kidding... the PS3 is da bomb!!!

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #14 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Might take them a while, but they do get them out.

That's the whole problem . . . they're the only one that misses the deadlines.

Quote:

This one was released yesterday for discs that were released today. What more do you want?

Apparently the one released yesterday doesn't make the disc 100% playable . . . so a playable disc would be the objective, yes?
post #15 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apparently the one released yesterday doesn't make the disc 100% playable . . . so a playable disc would be the objective, yes?

Don't know what you are on about, but I just watched Live Free or Die Hard on my BDP1000 with yesterday's firmware update on it, and it played fine. As far as the update for the 1200, I'm fairly confident one will be along very soon. Do you even own the Samsung?

Not directed specifically at anyone, but I don't know why, when someone has a problem with a specific player or manufacturer, someone always has to chime in about their PS3 and how great it is. Sorry, but some of us don't want our setups to look like it belongs in a 13 year old kid's room.
post #16 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't know what you are on about, but I just watched Live Free or Die Hard on my BDP1000 with yesterday's firmware update on it, and it played fine. As far as the update for the 1200, I'm fairly confident one will be along very soon. Do you even own the Samsung?

Not directed specifically at anyone, but I don't know why, when someone has a problem with a specific player or manufacturer, someone always has to chime in about their PS3 and how great it is. Sorry, but some of us don't want our setups to look like it belongs in a 13 year old kid's room.

I don't really get what your problem is either . . . it's a well-known fact that Samsung has dropped the ball on many releases regarding necessary updates to play movies, which is the sole purpose of a Blu-ray player. If you buy a movie and it doesn't play and you're stuck waiting for a week for them to play catchup with their firmware, that's piss-poor on their part. There's really no ifs ands or buts about it.

No, I don't own a Samsung, and apparently that was a good choice, since I can play every single movie that has come out on the first try without having to wait for an update a week later. My reply was originally to the post regarding going to HD DVD because his Samsung player won't play movies. I reiterate, this is a problem with Samsung, not Blu-ray.

Regardless of what the PS3 looks like, it plays movies without a hitch, which is more than I can say for many Samsung players. I don't have to wait for them to "get around to it." I'll take function over form any day.

No need to get your knickers in a bunch.
post #17 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't really get what your problem is either . . . it's a well-known fact that Samsung has dropped the ball on many releases regarding necessary updates to play movies, which is the sole purpose of a Blu-ray player. If you buy a movie and it doesn't play and you're stuck waiting for a week for them to play catchup with their firmware, that's piss-poor on their part. There's really no ifs ands or buts about it.

No, I don't own a Samsung, and apparently that was a good choice, since I can play every single movie that has come out on the first try without having to wait for an update a week later. My reply was originally to the post regarding going to HD DVD because his Samsung player won't play movies. I reiterate, this is a problem with Samsung, not Blu-ray.

Regardless of what the PS3 looks like, it plays movies without a hitch, which is more than I can say for many Samsung players. I don't have to wait for them to "get around to it." I'll take function over form any day.
No need to get all pissy about it.

Other than a popping noise in your speakers.

Like I said before, don't blame Samsung or Pioneer or Sony for new discs that are loaded with a bunch of java and other stuff that won't play in their players. You should be looking for answers from Fox or Disney or whoever released the disc.

Edit: I should have said you should be blaming Fox or Disney or whoever released the disc.
post #18 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylon View Post

All HD or BD players have issues. Update the firmwares and pray that it works.

Yeah it sucks. You are an early adopter so take it like a man!

I agree. Until there's mass adoption and standardization, we need to be a little more tolerant to playback issues that always get resolved with FW updates. Yes, sometimes they take a week or two but that's pretty quick for implementing, testing and deploying an update IMO.

Quote:

I seriously looked at the PS3 before committing to the BD-P1200 but having to get a Bluetooth remote(would made my Harmony remote angry ), high heat dissipation and high percentage of fan noise complaints deterred me from getting it. I know one person at AVS even drilled a hole in his theater room floor and moved the PS3 to the basement because it was so loud. I also don't like the "grab and load" disc mechanism.

post #19 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Other than a popping noise in your speakers.

Fixed, thanks.

Quote:

Like I said before, don't blame Samsung or Pioneer or Sony for new discs that are loaded with a bunch of java and other stuff that won't play in their players. You should be looking for answers from Fox or Disney or whoever released the disc.

Ok I have no problems that need answers. Damn that PS3 and its flawless functionality!
post #20 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 PM

I just bought a 1200 last Sunday (299.99 new in box) and updated the firmware yesterday. Unfortunately, I can't get Live Free or Die Hard to play at all. My symptoms match Paul's at the top of this thread.

I don't mind updating the firmware, but when the firmware lags behind the high-profile new titles, the schedule could stand some improvement. I do agree that the regular consumer is not going to want to update firmware every time a blockbuster title appears.... I guess now we wait. I'll have to be watching my 30-day-return window carefully as well. I really like the P1200 upconvert performance on SD, and the HD stuff I've seen looks stunning. I'd like to keep it if Samsung can address these issues in a timely manner.

On a related note, I saw some skips and stutters tonight when I watched part of the SD of "The Matrix." I hadn't watched that title before the firmware update, so I can't pin the blame on the version 2 firmware, but the problem is mildly annoying even though the PQ on the upconvert looks great.
post #21 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Careful, if it wasn't for those 13-year old kids with their PS3s, you wouldn't have a format.

BTW, since you want to blame the studios for creating Blu-ray software to the specification set down by the BDA, you should know that the PS3 makes up 90% of the installed base of Blu-ray players so if a disc plays on the PS3 in testing, that is good enough to get it released.

And BTW again, yes, I did have a Samsung. Two models, in fact. If either of them performed as well as the worst HD DVD player I have owned, I'd still have a Samsung. I have a Panasonic, so you do the math.
post #22 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

It won't play on my 1000 as well. I just installed the latest and not so great FW, doesn't seem to work, Samsung is really dropping the ball here. Doubt I'll ever buy another one of their products.

So now I'm guessing I'm going to have to wait a month for their new FW update so I can play this disc as I had to do for F4.

****ing Samsung!

My A1 HD-DVD player still runs like a tank and has yet to give me any problems after almost 2 years.

Sometimes you reach what's real by making believe.
post #23 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I couldn't care less if my PS3 was pink and had ponies all over it. It boggles my mind when every week someone's Samsung has an incompatiblity issue, and people still buy it.
We can't help but say: "We told you so."
post #24 of 70 Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The biggest fault with the PS3, no analog outs. It's useless to me for that reason.

Sometimes you reach what's real by making believe.
post #25 of 70 Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

I have a problem with my PS3 2.01. It freezes up near the traffic jam scene, I dont know if I can have it replaced at BB today.
post #26 of 70 Old 11-21-2007, 06:19 AM

I just spoke with Samsung support (800-726-7864) about the issue with Live Free Or Die Hard. They are aware of the problem and are working on a f/w update. They said it may be the end of November before the update is available. I encourage others who have this problem to give them a call and open a trouble-ticket for this issue - just so they are aware of the extent of the problem.

Regards,
Michael Bishop
post #27 of 70 Old 11-21-2007, 06:28 AM

Wow that is too bad this is an outstanding home theater movie. Watched last night on the "gaming machine", flawless. The really only bad scene is when Willis fights the jet with the 18 wheeler and wins.
post #28 of 70 Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bishop View Post

I just spoke with Samsung support (800-726-7864) about the issue with Live Free Or Die Hard. They are aware of the problem and are working on a f/w update. They said it may be the end of November before the update is available. I encourage others who have this problem to give them a call and open a trouble-ticket for this issue - just so they are aware of the extent of the problem.

I think the last firmware update was promised for two weeks, but it actually only took about 8 or 9 days. Someone can correct me on that? The holiday might slow it down though, not sure.
post #29 of 70 Old 11-21-2007, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims View Post

I have a problem with my PS3 2.01. It freezes up near the traffic jam scene, I dont know if I can have it replaced at BB today.

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Did this guy just say he had a problem with the PS3?????? I thought that was not possible. Bing, get right over there and straighten him out.
post #30 of 70 Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel72 View Post

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Did this guy just say he had a problem with the PS3?????? I thought that was not possible. Bing, get right over there and straighten him out.

More than likely it's a disc problem.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page