post #121 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwright84 View Post

And we're not just talking more vivid colors or contrast ratios or anything simple like that.. we're talking 1 set looking like high quality HD picture and the other set looking literally life-like and 3D (like I could reach my hand out and pluck the actor from the 'window' I'm looking through).

Regular motion picture film has the exact same "window" effect if you run the camera and projector at 60+ frames per second, and the technique was used for decades in theme park simulator rides.

Douglas Trumbull is famously associated with high-framerate film and even planned to use it for the virtual-reality sequences in the theatrical run of "Brainstorm" back in the early 80s. For various reasons it didn't get distributed that way. The movie did still switch to 70mm source footage and a wider aspect ratio for those parts, but not the 60fps that he'd intended. If you've seen things like AMP in action, you can imagine how intense and noticeable that effect would have been in a theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 123 Old 04-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a 120hz Samsung 5271 for over a year now and it produces an outstanding picture in my opinion. That being said I haven't used AMP since the third day I've owned it. However I do love the 5:5 pulldown for 1080/24p.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #123 of 123 Old 04-26-2009, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If your Blu-ray PQ at home does not look as it does at BB, then either your display is not doing as good a job as theirs, or else you are sitting too far away.

While on the subject of BB, I am really angry that they do not stock many of the best Blu-ray titles in the store. They carry no Criterion Blu-ray titles at all, and some other titles as well. On the other hand, they always stock in abundance the trashiest movies that come out!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page