Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire won't read in PS3!? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 72 Old 04-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could always try turning off your PS3 using the switch on the back for a few minutes. Then try to boot the disc again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 04-28-2008, 03:43 PM

By the way, I tried the disc in my HD-DVD drive and it didn't reoognize it either. I called the number given above, and the person indicated they are a vendor company dealing only with the boxset problem and that she would have to ask her supervisor to contact Warners directly and that they will (eventually) call me back.

This really stinks. I have been wanting to rewatch this one since we saw it in the theater. I can't even return it since it's open, and exchanging isn't an option since the only Fry's around is now out of stock. (Plus I blew any cost savings on their relatively low price by driving down there to replace it.)

Best,
Dave Kramer aka Gamewatcher at BusyGamerNews.com
post #63 of 72 Old 04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

When GOF froze in my PS3 during the Yule Ball scene, it would no longer recognize the disc afterwards. I had to do a system restore, and after that it would read the disc again. Turning it off and on again wasn't enough.

PETER JACKSON: The theatrical versions are the definitive versions.
post #64 of 72 Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamewatcher View Post

I just picked up the latest 2 Blu-Rays from Frys and Goblet (the one I really wanted to watch) failed in my PS3 as described. I drove some 40 miles round trip to exchange it, got their last copy and that one doesn't work either. I have the latest firmware. I watched as a Fry's employee put the defective disc in another BR player they had at the returns desk and it played fine there.

Guess I'll have to contact Warner Bros and maybe have a solution by the fall (when Happy Feet glitched consistently on my HD-DVD a year ago, I ended up going back and forth with Warners for months and finally trading it for the Blu-Ray version - hope I don't have to switch back to HD-DVD for this one!)

Dave
http://BusyGamerNews.com

Wow that is pretty disturbing!!! At least the part how they played it in a different player and it played fine What PS3 do you have and what firmware are you running??? I guess this machine isn't perfect after all.
post #65 of 72 Old 05-08-2008, 11:31 AM

Final update for now. After getting no response from Warner Bros third-party support (the people dealing with the boxset issue but not the standalone problem reported here) I called Fry's back and asked if they could check a copy of Goblet there in their PS3 before I came back for my second return. They said sure, they'd call me back - and didn't.

So yesterday, I called and talked to the returns manager. He said they had a copy that they tested in the PS3 and worked but suggested that my issue could be due to differences in PS3 hardware. I have the 60GB unit with backward compatibility (essentially a launch unit, except I bought it late - a couple months before they discontinued it). He offered a refund if I wanted it. So today I drove down and asked them to try my defective copy in their display PS3 (a newer hardware config without backward compat and a different hard drive size). Sure enough, my defective copy loaded and played just fine!

So I took the refund to prevent any more 40-mile round trip returns. What's vexing is that I really want this movie. I saw it in the theater at a really late show and enjoyed it, but was quite sleepy. I've been wanting to see it again in hi-def for a year now. I will probably wait 1-2 months, keep an eye on this forum in case there's more news of a fixed version (a method to tell would be helpful!) and buy it again someplace closer to my house so I can more conveniently return it 10-20 times, if needed.

Now I am testing every BR disc I get right away to ensure all discs load and play! So far, Goblet is the only one out of nearly 100 discs tried that has failed. (I did get a faulty copy of Black Snake Moan from Netflix that skipped, but I reported it damaged and sure enough the replacement copy worked fine.)

Best,
post #66 of 72 Old 05-08-2008, 01:59 PM

WB finally responded to me after four months and they are replacing my copy of GOF this week. I also have the 60 GB model. Every other disc plays fine. I find it hard to believe that it has anything to do with the PS3.
post #67 of 72 Old 05-09-2008, 12:41 AM

Postscript: I opened the mailbox not two hours after returning the Goblet of Fire to Fry's, and there's an envelope with a replacement disc from Warner Bros! They didn't call me (as they promised) or contact me in any way, they just sent the disc. And it works! No request to return the defective copy, either.

I'd consider it payment for all of the gas I burned on my two 40-mile roundtrips to return the title, but I'll eventually pick up another retail copy - probably from Costco when they get it. If it works too, I'll have a backup copy (and a case, since the disc they sent was in a paper sleeve). If not, well, I have one that works and perhaps a future firmware update will bring the other copy into line.

I can confirm that the same discs that didn't work on my PS3 did work on another Blu-Ray player and even a newer PS3 at Fry's. I watched them put the discs in the players myself. It's odd, but that's what can happen when you fragment a system with too many hardware variations. Some of the GTA IV lockups reported this past week also apparently happen only on PS3s that have the backward compatibility chip.

Best,
post #68 of 72 Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken View Post

When GOF froze in my PS3 during the Yule Ball scene, it would no longer recognize the disc afterwards. I had to do a system restore, and after that it would read the disc again. Turning it off and on again wasn't enough.

I bought a copy of Goblet, and it froze during this EXACT scene. It had troubles loading up as others have mentioned. I exchanged the disc for another copy... and lo and behold, this copy freezes in this exact same scene, again. Sounds like poor quality of manufacturing...

2 cents,
Jay
post #69 of 72 Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Hey, I know nothing has been posted in here in a while, but it's worth a shot....

I just opened my copy of GoF that I got from an Amazon BoGo sale a LONG time ago. I bought a bunch of Blu-rays with it and this is the first chance I've had to watch it. Took the cellophane off and it started playing fine but froze at the same scene everyone else seems to have a problem with. Now my PS3 will not recognize the disc. Others work fine. It's beige artwork on the disc. I'm wondering how you guys got in contact with Warner? I want a replacement disc but it's WAY to late to return to amazon.

- Lou

post #70 of 72 Old 08-21-2008, 08:48 PM

We had the same problem with our GOF. We bought all 5 of the blu-ray discs at one time (but not the box set, I couldn't see that until after they are all done and there's a complete set put out) not long after OoTP came out. Our GOF skipped a bit, but usually would play. Recently it stopped always playing and I just got fed up. Research led me to call WBHV Cust Support first at 800-553-6937 and they told me they couldn't replace it because it wasn't part of the box set and they were a third party that was only authorized to accept and deal with replacements in that situation. So I called WB at 818-954-6000 and was transferred to a woman named Sherry (sp?) who the switchboard told me would be able to assist. Someone from her office called back and after verifying that the 3rd party was no longer handling the single disc replacement program, agreed to send us a shipping label to trade ours in at no cost. If you call WB directly, they should assist. We also have the 60GB original PS3 with the backward compatability.
post #71 of 72 Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Louie View Post

I have all five individual BD's. Only GOF has the beige disc art and the other four photo art...

Yeah, what is that? I noticed that when I went back and picked up all of the individual BDs. It looks like it belongs in the box set.

It plays okay, though, PS3 w/latest firmware. Haven't tried the extras yet, since I'd seen them all previously on the DVD (only watched the extras on #5, which worked fine).

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #72 of 72 Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 AM

BTW, the new copy of GOF that I got works fine.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page