Sopranos Season 6, Part 2, Disc 3, Audio Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi:

I joined the forums just to post this comment/question.

While playing Sopranos Season 6, Part 2, Disc 3 (Blu-Ray), I am only getting stereo sound, not 5.1. This has not happened with any other Blu-Ray discs I have played. I am using Panasonic DMP-BD30, firmware 1.2.

Anyone else had this problem, or a similar one? I am in the process of having another disc shipped, plus the next disc in the series, to see if that solves the problem. I also have an open case with Panasonic. Neither Netflix nor Panasonic had any other reports of this issue.

I had watched the HD-DVD version of the previous 2 discs, no problems.

FYI, I'm not really that upset about it, I just feel like playing detective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 PM

If you're watching the Blu-ray version in Dolby Digital, it's only a 2.0 track. Warner, however, has chosen to release an Uncompressed PCM track for the Blu-ray version (the HD-DVD version only has DD).
post #3 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

HBO, in an idiotic move, authored the BD versions of both Season 6 sets with 5.1 PCM only. There are no Dolby Digital English tracks on the discs that would allow backwards 5.1 compatibility. If you are using S/PDIF (optical for example) for audio and your BD playback device can't 'encode on the fly' multi-channel PCM to Dolby Digital or DTS, you'll be stuck with 2 channel PCM. Now, if you are using HDMI... you have something set wrong.

FilmmakingFiasco, the HD DVD versions have TrueHD 5.1 (Lossless)... which will be converted to Dolby Digital for S/PDIF.
post #4 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 03:29 PM

I wasn't sure if the HD-DVD tracks were TrueHD or DD+ (I had the HD-DVD set for a week before I exchanged it for the Blu-ray)
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have my Blu-Ray player outputting audio SPDIF ( I ran out of HDMI inputs on my receiver!) HD-DVD audio is input via HDMI.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll just watch the last disc in HD-DVD format. My player is only 1080i, but I'd rather have the 5.1 than the 1080p, although I'm sure others would disagree. Or, based on what grommet said, I could use S/PDIF for my HD DVD player, run that video in HDMI 2 on the tv, and run the Blu-Ray through HDMI on the receiver. I believe that my receiver will pass the 1080p signal through without messing with it. Or, I suppose I could buy an HDMI switch.

I should prolly get a new receiver with more HDMI inputs, but I like the one I have and really don't feel like spending the $$$. I suppose I won't run into this issue too often . . .
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 AM

Can any one tell me if the english subtitles are regular or for the hearing impaired? Warner usualy put on both, but on Blade Runner and The Shining they only used HoH unfortunately...
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page