Free calibration disk for Blu-ray players - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 01-04-2008, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I'm glad this thread popped back up, I had forgotten to get it.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Burned it from an ISO using Nero without any problem and it works in my (fully up-to-date) PS3. However, there are no directions/instructions that I can find.

I've also double checked the connections in case the instructions were maybe via audio but nada.

So what am I doing wrong?
post #33 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 AM

how do you use this?

PSN: Unbreakable21
XBL: xgho5tx
post #34 of 48 Old 02-17-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeble View Post

Burned it from an ISO using Nero without any problem and it works in my (fully up-to-date) PS3. However, there are no directions/instructions that I can find.

I've also double checked the connections in case the instructions were maybe via audio but nada.

So what am I doing wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Gaming View Post

how do you use this?

click on the link in the first post.

here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
post #35 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
The disk has been updated to RC1. This update includes a sharpness pattern. See the update link for changes or the main AVS HD 709 thread for downloads.
post #36 of 48 Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Man, geat stuff. Thanks

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #37 of 48 Old 11-01-2008, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #38 of 48 Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
this thread should be stickied methinks.
post #39 of 48 Old 11-02-2008, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hi fellows,

I'm trying to obtain the DVD versions of the two files (HD DVD and BD) and at the end of each .exe self extraction, I get an ISO file plus the following "7-Zip: Diagnostic messages" in a window (for BD, the file names are AVCHD-v1.exe and .iso):
Quote:

0 E:\\HD\\HD_DVD-v1.exe
1 CRC failed in 'HD_DVD-v1.iso'. File is broken.

The consistent 'HD DVD' DVD ISO size is 2,887,296 KB and 'BD' DVD ISO 1,175,616 KB. I need to know if this is the normal behavior and if the files are actually correct!

If my results are incorrect, I'm using WinXP with DSL and would really like some hints on how to make this work. I normally have no problem whatsoever with downloaded self-extracting files (or any other download, for that matter.)

Please help !
post #40 of 48 Old 11-02-2008, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I just tried burning the ISO's anyway and giving them a spin. The HD DVD version seems to respond properly in the player, so I'm guessing the provided ISO's simply have CRC problems (or maybe I just didn't hit the part that's going to fail?)

The BD version appears to be interpreted by my BDP-1000 as a memory card format, but when I try to access the title list, it reports 'no program found'! So, if the CRC error message is actually a red herring, then the BDP-1000 is apparently one of the players that are incompatible.

Since I can't burn a BD, can anyone tell me how to burn the second BD file offering onto a DVD to try it (no extraction errors with that one)? Perhaps that result would be compatible .

PS. Found the discussion on "backing up" BD to DVD, so I'll give it a try. If anybody already knows how all this works out with the BD-P1000, please pass the word. Also would appreciate comment on the above error messages I observed when extracting ISO's.
post #41 of 48 Old 11-02-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those are the file sizes that windows explorer shows, but the error message is not expected. If you want to check the files, that's the intent of the MD5 Hatch file attached to the post. MD5summer is rather easy to use to generate a md5 file for comparison. There have been some occasional reports of errors using the exe files, but I can't say there's been any pattern, so if the md5 doesn't match then using the .7z download is all I can recommend for the HD DVD.

As far as Blu-ray compatibility I'm not sure what the first Samsung plays. It might also vary depending on firmware. Searching an owner's type thread on the player is all I could really suggest there.
post #42 of 48 Old 11-02-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I've just spent approaching an hour trying to make use of the .7z download files, and have yet to come across an example of the command structure for the decompression routine. I've also been trying to mesh my experience with MD5 checksums with the provided "MD5 hatches", and I've gotten equally nowhere. If anyone has the idea this calibration disc opportunity is in any way user friendly -- be assured , it isn't (unless you happen to be lucky enough to be familiar with the required routines, or else the .exe version works error free for you !!!) One shouldn't have to be a broadly experienced software engineer to use this thing! In other words -- YES, I'm very frustrated! (And it just so happen I DID used to write software for a living! Any chance of a little documentation/examples on these items -- would be very helpful!))
post #43 of 48 Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

No doubt the CD-Freaks Blu-Ray to DVD backup guide is a very useful guide for the generic process, but for people who are only interested in transferring the provided BD calibration files for hoped-for compatibility with their BD player, all that's necessary is to download Imageburn -- it recognizes the needs of the files and provides appropriate prompts making the job easy (no need for the other tools.) If that piece of doc were provided up front, it would help save that much more time weeding out the non-essentials.

Unfortunately for me, my BDP1000 still doesn't recognize it as BD content. Ergo, it's looking bad for this calibration data and the BDP1000 (I'm currently running 1.4 firmware, but am hoping for a 1.7 before I update again.) Given this failure, the BD version of the .7z file is looking non-useful for me. However, if I learn how to install the .7z HD DVD file, I'll give it a go, though I may well already have a working disc for that format (not certain, but maybe.)

In any case, I appreciate you fellow's efforts, but your documentation on how to install your efforts is really awful!
post #44 of 48 Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

I've just spent approaching an hour trying to make use of the .7z download files, and have yet to come across an example of the command structure for the decompression routine.

I'm confused what needs to be further described with step 3. For windows you just download the 7-zip program and it offers either a right click option or a GUI to decompress.

Quote:

I've also been trying to mesh my experience with MD5 checksums with the provided "MD5 hatches", and I've gotten equally nowhere.

Honestly I'm not familiar with md5, so I just included the file from md5summer because md5 was requested on a previous version. I thought maybe the .md5 might be a typical format, but maybe that isn't the case. It shows the hatches if it's looked at in a text editor like a txt file would.

Quote:

Any chance of a little documentation/examples on these items -- would be very helpful!))

The development has primarily been from feedback. There was some early dissent with our use of .exe because it couldn't be used with other OS, so the .7z was also offered because it works with any major OS. To me the process to choose a version, download, decompress, and burn seemed basic enough. That along with how no one had ever really asked for further explination after the process was broken into the first four steps is why there's no further explination.
post #45 of 48 Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Unfortunately for me, my BDP1000 still doesn't recognize it as BD content. Ergo, it's looking bad for this calibration data and the BDP1000 (I'm currently running 1.4 firmware, but am hoping for a 1.7 before I update again.) Given this failure, the BD version of the .7z file is looking non-useful for me. However, if I learn how to install the .7z HD DVD file, I'll give it a go, though I may well already have a working disc for that format (not certain, but maybe.)

Just spent some more time with the installed .7z folder and now understand that the program "7zFM.exe" (labeled File Manager) is the GUI interface for file selection and decompression. That's the Windows progrgam to select manually (if not using "right click".)

I also see now that "right click" utilizes "7zG.exe" (labeled GUI) which is automatically fed the necessary file name by the system. Guess I'm just too used to manually selecting programs rather than right clicking.

7z.exe appears to be for DOS environments.

Unfortunately for me, I get the same error message responses with both the self expanding .exe and the 7zFM.exe expansion of the .7z files. With a little luck, my HD DVD ISO is good anyway, but as for the BD version, I appear to be dead in the water, if only due to my player choice ! (Samsung BDP-1000)

1) So, first I tried the .exe and got the above described error messages (AVCHD & HD DVD.)
2) Second I tried the .7z using 7zFM.exe from the free download of 7-Zip 4.57 (the non-Beta version) and got the same error messages (AVCHD & HD DVD.)
3) Finally I tried the BDMV.exe, which expanded correctly, and then used Imgburn to create a DVD iso, but got the same BD player behavior as with the previous .exe or .7z derived ISO.

Again, thanks for your efforts ! Hopefully, my HD DVD disc will fly successfully, at least at cursory glance, it appears to work. Looks like my two BD discs will have to remain on the shelf until I purchase a compatible player !
post #46 of 48 Old 01-11-2009, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The AVS HD 709 disc has been updated to v1.2 for a new release. There has been a simple step-by-step example added to the post for creating an AVCHD disc with Windows, similar to what was suggested. Still there will be players such as the BD-P1000 that will require Blu-ray writable media to play the disc, but many newer players are AVCHD compatible and will be able to use a disc created by following the example for the PS3.
post #47 of 48 Old 01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

The AVS HD 709 disc has been updated to v1.2 for a new release. There has been a simple step-by-step example added to the post for creating an AVCHD disc with Windows, similar to what was suggested. Still there will be players such as the BD-P1000 that will require Blu-ray writable media to play the disc, but many newer players are AVCHD compatible and will be able to use a disc created by following the example for the PS3.

Thank you for the update.
post #48 of 48 Old 05-24-2009, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Disc updated to v1.3 for a new release, which includes a new backlighting pattern. A table was also added to the main post to keep track of which versions different Blu-ray players are expected to play.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page