Free calibration disk for Blu-ray players - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
AVS HD 709 has been updated to include AVCHD and BDMV versions that should work with Blu-ray players. Even for users without test equipment, it should offer most of the basic patterns you would need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-17-2007, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Good news! I like the HD-DVD disc. Excellent low and high end gray scale test patterns are included.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #3 of 48 Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Nice,

Can't wait to try it. I've had 1080p MP4's of several test patterns for a while in my flash drive but this seems taylor made for Hfcr which is use so I'm trilled about it.

-Brian
post #4 of 48 Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
i calibrated using the disc and the settings, especially color and brightness, are way off from what the calibration patterns on the Ratatouille BD showed.

any idea which one i should go with? it does seem the brightness set via Rat BD is way too high, so for now i will go with the free disc.

thanks for sharing the disc with all of us here.
post #5 of 48 Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are actually two color patterns on the disk. There's the Avia style one in title 1, chaper 4 and then there's the DVE type in title 7, chapter 2. I couldn't again quickly find the Ratatouille guide so I'm not sure what that disk is doing for color. The only description that I completely disagreed with in their manual was the setting for contrast (white-level) and how they were describing clipping, which often doesn't happen if you're using a digital display.

I think their patten for brightness (black-level) was a somewhat high APL pattern. The amount of light in the scene (APL) can change black-levels with some TVs and more light in the scene might also subjectively lead you to using a higher setting in order to make out the bars. In the Ratatouille guide by looking at the picture I think there was probably a good amount of jump between RGB levels. If you have a digital display I can't come up with any problem we've run across that might make either the 1 or 2 RGB changing bar patterns incorrect. If you have a CRT, you probably shouldn't be using Basic Settings (Title 1), chapter 1 because of the very low APL.
post #6 of 48 Old 12-18-2007, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

alluring, i like the brightness setting from your disc a lot more than what i got from the Rat disc, it's also closer to what the Sony test pattern as well as the Avia DVD tells me to set so that's what i'll be going with.

it really sucks my TV does not allow Tint adjustment when connected via HDMI, also the custom color adjustments brings out a proprietary screen and blocks out the pattern on disc. i used Color Weakness function to get the tint as close as i can to the pattern. i need a new tv.
post #7 of 48 Old 12-18-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality View Post

AVS HD 709 has been updated to include an AVCHD version that should work with Blu-ray players. Even for users without test equipment, it should offer most of the basic patterns you would need except for maybe sharpness, overscan, and centering. So far the players tested have been the BDP-S1 and the PS3. Anyway if you want to check it out, it will cost you a DVD and some way to burn it.

I just tried downloading and extracting the .EXE version of the BD file and both times it failed with a "Data Error" during extraction. The HD DVD file extracted without incident. What's up with the BD file? (Win XP Pro)
post #8 of 48 Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That's the first time we've had any report like that. You might try the .7z version. The program is small and you can always delete it if you won't use it for anything else.
post #9 of 48 Old 12-19-2007, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

I just tried downloading and extracting the .EXE version of the BD file and both times it failed with a "Data Error" during extraction. The HD DVD file extracted without incident. What's up with the BD file? (Win XP Pro)

Quote:

That's the first time we've had any report like that. You might try the .7z version. The program is small and you can always delete it if you won't use it for anything else.

the 7z version works fine. and the 7zip program is free.
post #10 of 48 Old 12-19-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

alluring, i like the brightness setting from your disc a lot more than what i got from the Rat disc, it's also closer to what the Sony test pattern as well as the Avia DVD tells me to set so that's what i'll be going with.

it really sucks my TV does not allow Tint adjustment when connected via HDMI, also the custom color adjustments brings out a proprietary screen and blocks out the pattern on disc. i used Color Weakness function to get the tint as close as i can to the pattern. i need a new tv.

Patterns on movie discs may only be valid for the movie. I'd never trust any of the them for a display calibration. And with a lot of animation it's really hard to tell what is correct when watching the disc.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #11 of 48 Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
seems like this might be worthy of a sticky?

--kevin--
post #12 of 48 Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM

Display Calibration Forum here is where as this stuff is discussed.

larry

post #13 of 48 Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

The EXE file extracted into a blank ISO with 3 folders, I D/Led it last night. Checked it 3X w/Winrar 3.7.1; and Nero didn't find anything there either.

I'll try the 7-zip file.
post #14 of 48 Old 12-20-2007, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The AVCHD ISO is UDF 2.5 I believe, so not every operating system is going to be able to look at the contents. I think you can burn it without issue even if you cannot read it. Unless the iso file size is zero, then I don't see anything there that necessarily indicates you're having the same issue as TrevorS.
post #15 of 48 Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:

The AVCHD ISO is UDF 2.5 I believe, so not every operating system is going to be able to look at the contents. I think you can burn it without issue even if you cannot read it.

I was wondering about that after I burned it. Thanks, I can't wait to try it out.
post #16 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 06:41 AM

I tried .EXE file. After it was copied into DVD, PS3 can't read it. Do I have to label it something?

Download 7zip, can't extract.

If any step I miss, please tell me. Thanks.

and it is for BD
post #17 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefirstnames View Post

seems like this might be worthy of a sticky?

You must be joking. I use a simple dts 5.1 music and demonstration and set-up disc to do the audio alignment, and the THX video mode set-up chapters to deal with contrast brightness and colour issues.
post #18 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnguyen View Post

I tried .EXE file. After it was copied into DVD, PS3 can't read it. Do I have to label it something?

Download 7zip, can't extract.

If any step I miss, please tell me. Thanks.

and it is for BD

The .exe will convert to a .iso file with windows, or the 7-zip software can convert the .7z to the .iso file. Once you have the .iso file (Approx 0.7 GB), you can use that to create the DVD. In imgburn open the .iso file and then write to a single layer DVD.

If you followed that and the AVCHD doesn't work, then my thoughts are to either try a different type or brand DVD or update your PS3 firmware if it isn't current. I don't have a PS3, but the disk has been reported to work with the PS3.
post #19 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Why not compress the iso file into a standard zip file?
post #20 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

I use a simple dts 5.1 music and demonstration and set-up disc to do the audio alignment, and the THX video mode set-up chapters to deal with contrast brightness and colour issues.

For anyone with test equipment the major advantage of this disk is that it offers 709 color. Except for burning w6rz patterns, I'm not aware of any other source at this time that does that. For anyone without test equipment, the major advantages of this disk are the black and white clipping patterns, which are basically the design of 3no. If your display has fine enough controls the black-clipping should be more precise than what's available on any of the commercial disks I've seen.
post #21 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoga View Post

Why not compress the iso file into a standard zip file?

In short, for this type of compression zip is very inefficient.

On the mpeg2 HD DVD the 7-zip is 15 times smaller than zip. The AVCHD being H264 doesn't compress quite as well, and so it's only about 4 times smaller. To put it another way, the zip compresses to a file that's around 50% of the original and the 7-zip compresses to around 10% of the original. As it is it takes somewhere around 2.5 hours to upload the 7-zip and so it would take maybe 10 hours to upload the zip. We would also have to find a new host for zip because it would exceed the space filesend allows. In terms of compression size for these files and time it takes for conversion, I have not found anything better than 7-zip. Even though zip is convenient, it really can't compare for this application.
post #22 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:

AVS HD 709 has been updated to include an AVCHD version that should work with Blu-ray players. Even for users without test equipment, it should offer most of the basic patterns you would need except for maybe sharpness, overscan, and centering. So far the players tested have been the BDP-S1 and the PS3. Anyway if you want to check it out, it will cost you a DVD and some way to burn it.

How easy is this to use? Do they have a pdf manual that I can download?

HD-XA1, HD-A2, BDP-S300 and DMP-BD55K owner
post #23 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't explain how to use things like a light meter or HCFR with the disk, but the Basic Settings that most people are going to be interested in are explained under the TITLES AND CHAPTERS heading. The only other area that's explained at this time is chapter 2 from Misc Patterns. The one currently missing item that a majority of people would be interested in is sharpness/overscan/centering, which is our current focus to add in the next revision.
post #24 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:

The .exe will convert to a .iso file with windows, or the 7-zip software can convert the .7z to the .iso file. Once you have the .iso file (Approx 0.7 GB), you can use that to create the DVD. In imgburn open the .iso file and then write to a single layer DVD.

If you followed that and the AVCHD doesn't work, then my thoughts are to either try a different type or brand DVD or update your PS3 firmware if it isn't current. I don't have a PS3, but the disk has been reported to work with the PS3.

First, My PS3 has the most updat firmware, 2.01.

For .EXE, I down load then use Imgburn to copy the .iso file by using data dvd. I tried video dvd but it couldn't since it is not video file. After using data dvd copy, and when the copy is completed, the computer checked the disk and it said error, couldn't read the file. However, the file is there in the disk.
post #25 of 48 Old 12-22-2007, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnguyen View Post

For .EXE, I down load then use Imgburn to copy the .iso file by using data dvd. I tried video dvd but it couldn't since it is not video file. After using data dvd copy, and when the copy is completed, the computer checked the disk and it said error, couldn't read the file. However, the file is there in the disk.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying. I typically use Nero so I don't even know where the video or data options you mentioned are at in ImgBurn. If you were talking about Nero then those options are not what you need, you need the "burn image" selection in Nero. I try to avoid using the word copy because you're not necessarily copying the .iso to the disk. You need to use the .iso to create a certain type of disk. Here is the procedure to create the DVD in ImgBurn 2.3.2.0:

Go to mode pulldown - choose write
Go to file pulldown - choose "browse for file"
Select .iso file and open
Put a DVD in the destination drive and click write

If a DVD created that way doesn't work on the PS3, then the only thing I can suggest is to use a different DVD type because as far as I know that burning procedure should work fine. If you have Vista or another operating system that can read UDF 2.5 disks, the disk created should have a BDMV folder with a number of sub-folders. If your computer operating system can't read UDF 2.5, then you won't be able to read the created disk from your computer.
post #26 of 48 Old 12-29-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Thanks so much for this, I needed something for my new Panny BD30, and these patterns helped me verify that my existing display settings were fine for the new player.

FYI, uncompressed the .7z fine with p7zip and burned it fine with k3b (Linux).

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #27 of 48 Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 177
I tried the test patterns and was very impressed. The broad range of steps for both brightness and contrast are great for correcting or verifying your settings.
post #28 of 48 Old 12-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Great free disk, thanks!!

DLed the exe, extracted to iso, burned iso to DVD. Worked like a charm, nice patterns.

Paul Taatjes
post #29 of 48 Old 01-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaaty View Post

Great free disk, thanks!!

DLed the exe, extracted to iso, burned iso to DVD. Worked like a charm, nice patterns.

Ditto
post #30 of 48 Old 01-04-2008, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to try this out over the weekend.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page