6Likes

post #271 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAddict View Post

I think the availability has a lot to do with your physical location. I'm pretty sure there is a much higher demand for hd titles in NYC or some California locations than, let's say, Florida. And, while I've occasionally had a regular DVD shipped from other locations, I don't believe they would do it with hd titles given their demand/supply.

I've always used to have a slot available on Mon and NEVER EVER had a problem getting newly released title, either regular or HD-DVD. That is until beginning of Dec. Since then my success rate went to nearly 0 for hd titles.

Then why do I live in Florida and have my movies ALWAYS in Very long wait, Long wait, and Short wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

Sorry, tried it and it doesn't work. I have Photoshop. Guess I'm clueless here....

press print screen, open up photoshop, open a NEW image, and press ctrl+V after the blank white image opens up.

It will paste your picture in the blank space.
post #273 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

So hit your Print Screen button (on some keyboards you may need to hit the "function key" or "shift" keyif it's shared with another button.

In photoshop, click on "new" or "new palette". Something like that. It will ask you to pick a size/resolution and just hit "ok." Then go to edit and "paste" or hit "ctrl"+"v".

Should work, that's how I do it.

Edit: Alright so checking Netflix this morning, Shoot 'Em Up is still available now and #1 on my list. They received both movies I sent back yesterday this morning, so I better get something good

Brandon

They are actually shipping me shootem up today.
post #274 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

it just dawned on me, maybe this is why they got rid of the browse new releases this week page (i hate there new page; is there a way to get the old view?)...people just kept selecting the movies coming out this week...so now they make it difficult for people to do this. their new releases are just about always NOT new releases!!!
post #275 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 AM

Within the last month or so, I too am experiencing horrible delays (with both HD formats). I sent a complaint through their "suggestion" page, and also called to speak to someone in person about this. I am not saying that everyone would get the same story as I did, but the person I spoke to was very nice and understanding. Below are some of the things I was told while speaking to them:

1. They are aware of the general dissatisfaction amongst HD renters in terms of delays (but she did not know what specifically was being done about it). She stated the best way to get a complaint to the people who make decisions is through the suggestion box on their website.
2. She suspected the player sales over the holidays has increased demand for rentals, thus creating delays.
3. She told me they are experiencing a high level of damaged/unplayable HD discs (mainly scratches) coming back to them. Just like us, it costs them quite a bit more to buy HD, so this is translating into higher losses.
4. I was told that getting shipped a movie in your Q is really "luck of the draw". So you could be the first person to add it to your Q, but the last to get it. She said every morning first priority is given to whoever needs a replacement disc, or if there are any bonus rentals (more on that to follow). So according to her, you are not selected on a "first in - first out" basis.
5. To help tide things over (and since I had not received anything in 2 weeks), she offered me 2 "bonus" rentals. She enabled one immediately for me, and placed another in my Q for me to redeem. She pretty much assured me that would get something shipped within a day (and she was right - something that was "very long wait" shipped that day).

So again, this is what I was told by one of the Netflix reps. Somebody else may get a different story, and some of what I was told may not even be totally accurate. I just wanted to share this.
post #276 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
The entire Netflix site is down right now. Probably getting too many complaints from us!
post #277 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Everyone is aware that Netflix throttles right? Netflix has some algorithm that allows them to balance the high-use customers with the low-use ones. The existance of the algorithm was made public when they were sued for not servicing frequent users as quickly as non-frequent users. The suit was over whether Netflix should have disclosed that not all customers are treated differently and now it is disclosed.

I suspect the algorithm not only throttles but also picks who gets the popular discs. (It in fact may have been disclosed as such by Netflix.) So if you go through 20 discs a month and another guy goes through 1 disc a month, the 1 disc a month is more likely to get the popular disc. Which makes a kind of sense because the 20 disc user has 20 chances during the month to get that popluar disc and the one disc user either gets it that time or doesn't.

Course the real problem with getting Blu-ray discs is that the need many more copies than they have. The SD crunch tends to just last a few weeks while the BD crunch appears to last months.
post #278 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

The entire Netflix site is down right now. Probably getting too many complaints from us!

Yep, they don't want us to look at the frozen queue.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #279 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwatkins View Post

Everyone is aware that Netflix throttles right? Netflix has some algorithm that allows them to balance the high-use customers with the low-use ones. The existance of the algorithm was made public when they were sued for not servicing frequent users as quickly as non-frequent users. The suit was over whether Netflix should have disclosed that not all customers are treated differently and now it is disclosed.

I suspect the algorithm not only throttles but also picks who gets the popular discs. (It in fact may have been disclosed as such by Netflix.) So if you go through 20 discs a month and another guy goes through 1 disc a month, the 1 disc a month is more likely to get the popular disc. Which makes a kind of sense because the 20 disc user has 20 chances during the month to get that popluar disc and the one disc user either gets it that time or doesn't.

Course the real problem with getting Blu-ray discs is that the need many more copies than they have. The SD crunch tends to just last a few weeks while the BD crunch appears to last months.

do you have a link or proof of this?
post #280 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 PM

Just posted a suggestion on Netflix.com. While many probably wouldn't like my suggestion, I indicated to them I'd be willing to pay a few dollars more for the HiDef rental option if they could guarantee the same great availability and service I've come to expect from DVD. I understand their costs are higher, but if they would increase their inventory to meet the demand, I'd be fine with a 0.00 - 3.99/monthly premium on top of my usual plan.
post #281 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

So hit your Print Screen button (on some keyboards you may need to hit the "function key" or "shift" keyif it's shared with another button.

In photoshop, click on "new" or "new palette". Something like that. It will ask you to pick a size/resolution and just hit "ok." Then go to edit and "paste" or hit "ctrl"+"v".

Should work, that's how I do it.

Edit: Alright so checking Netflix this morning, Shoot 'Em Up is still available now and #1 on my list. They received both movies I sent back yesterday this morning, so I better get something good

Brandon

Thanks Brandon, it worked.

This is getting to be beyond ridiculous. Even though the number 21 movie has said available "Now" for the last week, and still does, they went to a title that was below that one as my next shipment!!!

And chances are very small that I will get any of the upcoming releases the week they are released either. Sucks!

The Matrix has been at the top of my list since it was first released!

post #282 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
This is weird, I just checked my que Rob and it shows War as available for me
post #283 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

This is weird, I just checked my que Rob and it shows War as available for me

Figures.
post #284 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

Then why do I live in Florida and have my movies ALWAYS in Very long wait, Long wait, and Short wait?

I just gave Florida as an example. I have no real data. And anyway, it's just an assumption on my part, I have no idea if it's true or not.
post #285 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Is there an email address where complaints can be sent to Netflix? I couldn't find one (shocking!). I did see their phone number for customer service, but I know that won't get me anywhere.
post #286 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1dey View Post

Just posted a suggestion on Netflix.com. While many probably wouldn't like my suggestion, I indicated to them I'd be willing to pay a few dollars more for the HiDef rental option if they could guarantee the same great availability and service I've come to expect from DVD. I understand their costs are higher, but if they would increase their inventory to meet the demand, I'd be fine with a 0.00 - 3.99/monthly premium on top of my usual plan.

I actually made the same suggestion I would be happy to share some of their higher costs (regarding HD) IF the availablilty improved.
post #287 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

instead of everyone bitching here. take the 5 minutes needed to either call them or go to the contact us link on the bottom of the page and shoot them a message. hopefully the problem is alleviated, but with the continuous influx of ps3 owners and the fact that warner went exclusive swaying more standalones to be sold i dont think it will. fingers crossed though because excluding this my service with netflix has always been great
post #288 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

instead of everyone bitching here. take the 5 minutes needed to either call them or go to the contact us link on the bottom of the page and shoot them a message. hopefully the problem is alleviated, but with the continuous influx of ps3 owners and the fact that warner went exclusive swaying more standalones to be sold i dont think it will. fingers crossed though because excluding this my service with netflix has always been great

Already done it twice. And I've noticed that more than a handful of others have as well...so I take exception to the notion that we're all here just bitching.

Brandon
post #289 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got another two day turnaround. Mailed Volver, Apocalypto, and Hairspray yesterday, getting Shoot 'Em Up, The Host, and Underdog tomorrow.

That's three times in a row for me. I have about 20 at the top of my queue in various wait states, but another 40 or so ready to ship.
post #290 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffleshuffle83 View Post

That's right. We shouldn't "bitch" here. In fact, this thread should just be deleted completely.
post #291 of 8845 Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 PM

My other complaint is if you go to the new releases tab, the movies there are pretty old
post #292 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

That's right. We shouldn't "bitch" here. In fact, this thread should just be deleted completely.

+1

post #293 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosus View Post

I tried that too Joe, no help. They just send you zip.

same experience with netflix.

sorry for this stupid question.. what is zip?

doesn't matter who i am for who i am is nothing.
post #294 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

I haven't seen any complaints about NF deciding not to stock some BDs (and HD DVDs for that matter). Rush Hour 3 and Mr/Mrs Smith come to mind immediately. Neither is available to rent in BD format. WTF is up with that?

They don't have all of the Harry Potter series on BR either. . .
post #295 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theddy View Post

same experience with netflix.

sorry for this stupid question.. what is zip?

zip, zero, nada....nothing

Brandon
post #296 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 05:52 AM

OK SERIOUSLY, WTF!??!

I'm officially DONE with Netflix right now!!! I've had their three at at time for over 3 years and right now they've had an open slot "waiting" to send my next movie for a whole week!

Number one in my queue has been Blade Runner (Bluray) because sadly I've NEVER seen it. Today its still showing up in my queue, but instead of "Very Long Wait" its now changed to "UNAVAILABLE"!

Update on Your Queue
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut has been removed from your Queue. We no longer have enough copies of the DVD to satisfy customer demand. Unfortunately, we are unable to purchase more of this movie and will no longer offer it for rental.

We realize this is disappointing and want to reassure you that we remove movies from our web site only in unusual circumstances.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you find many other movies to enjoy at Netflix.

Early adaptor of new technology!
post #297 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 06:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Is there an email address where complaints can be sent to Netflix? I couldn't find one (shocking!). I did see their phone number for customer service, but I know that won't get me anywhere.

Way back when, Netflix got a lot of complaints about only providing an email address and NO phone number for customer service, so they did a complete overhaul of their CS and now they really try and get you to call rather than email. Here's the link to the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/16/bu...16netflix.html

There is a way to send suggestions though: http://www.netflix.com/Suggest?type=2&lnkctr=cu_suggest
post #298 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post

OK SERIOUSLY, WTF!??!

I'm officially DONE with Netflix right now!!! I've had their three at at time for over 3 years and right now they've had an open slot "waiting" to send my next movie for a whole week!

Number one in my queue has been Blade Runner (Bluray) because sadly I've NEVER seen it. Today its still showing up in my queue, but instead of "Very Long Wait" its now changed to "UNAVAILABLE"!

Update on Your Queue
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut has been removed from your Queue. We no longer have enough copies of the DVD to satisfy customer demand. Unfortunately, we are unable to purchase more of this movie and will no longer offer it for rental.

We realize this is disappointing and want to reassure you that we remove movies from our web site only in unusual circumstances.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope you find many other movies to enjoy at Netflix.

I just went to my queue and directors cut is unavailable also and blu ray is very long wait
post #299 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 07:39 AM

I just lowered my account from 3 per to 1 per and 2 movie limit as I can't get any decent bluray movies from Newflix. I have 9 bluray movies listed and all say long or very long wait. What's the point of the membership? I can get 5 of the movies on my list at my local blockbuster right now. It's more expensive but at least I can see them when I want.

I've got an idea. Lets form a small cult and when one of us gets a high demand movie we will just pass it around to each other. As time goes on we can control Netlfix as we will have all of the cool movies. Hahahahahahaha.
post #300 of 8845 Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

do you have a link or proof of this?

Google and you'll see a lot. Here's the first one that popped up, a MSNBC news article on the class action settlement:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12584258/
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page