Within the last month or so, I too am experiencing horrible delays (with both HD formats). I sent a complaint through their "suggestion" page, and also called to speak to someone in person about this. I am not saying that everyone would get the same story as I did, but the person I spoke to was very nice and understanding. Below are some of the things I was told while speaking to them:
1. They are aware of the general dissatisfaction amongst HD renters in terms of delays (but she did not know what specifically was being done about it). She stated the best way to get a complaint to the people who make decisions is through the suggestion box on their website.
2. She suspected the player sales over the holidays has increased demand for rentals, thus creating delays.
3. She told me they are experiencing a high level of damaged/unplayable HD discs (mainly scratches) coming back to them. Just like us, it costs them quite a bit more to buy HD, so this is translating into higher losses.
4. I was told that getting shipped a movie in your Q is really "luck of the draw". So you could be the first person to add it to your Q, but the last to get it. She said every morning first priority is given to whoever needs a replacement disc, or if there are any bonus rentals (more on that to follow). So according to her, you are not selected on a "first in - first out" basis.
5. To help tide things over (and since I had not received anything in 2 weeks), she offered me 2 "bonus" rentals. She enabled one immediately for me, and placed another in my Q for me to redeem. She pretty much assured me that would get something shipped within a day (and she was right - something that was "very long wait" shipped that day).
So again, this is what I was told by one of the Netflix reps. Somebody else may get a different story, and some of what I was told may not even be totally accurate. I just wanted to share this.