Blu-ray Software > Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 08:00 PM 10-25-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

No To Live or DIe in LA or Paperman on BD thru netflix

Blockbuster has both in BD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

Heck, they're not even carrying the Roger Corman Classics BD discs (PIRANHA, etc).

Blockbuster has Corman's Pirahna, don't know about any others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

Do we know if Blockbuster is carrying these titles? I'm assuming their mail service is still going...

If Netflix doesn't start carrying these titles, I'm out.

See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

where will you go instead?

Blockbuster.

Cinema Squid's Avatar Cinema Squid 10:34 PM 10-25-2010
Quote:

Do we know if Blockbuster is carrying these titles? I'm assuming their mail service is still going...

If Netflix doesn't start carrying these titles, I'm out.

I just signed up for Blockbuster because of this new shortage of B-movie distributors at Netflix (Shout Factory, Blue Underground, Troma, etc.) along with some of the more mainstream missing Warner, MGM and Criterion catalog titles. It's certainly no panacea, but fills a few gaps at least.

For Shout Factory's Roger Corman Cult Classics specifically:
  • Both NF and BB have Death Race 2000.
  • BB also has on BD:
    • Humanoids from the Deep
    • Piranha
    • Rock 'n' Roll High School
  • Neither BB nor NF have on BD:
    • Galaxy of Terror
    • Forbidden World
    • *Starcrash (Listed on BD at BB, but unavailable.)

mr stroke's Avatar mr stroke 03:29 PM 10-26-2010
so no Back to the Future or Aliens on Blu Ray?

WTF Netflix

really
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 03:32 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Blockbuster.

more expensive, probably won't carry them, will be dead soon, and no streaming. Also, their waits were a lot longer than Netflix, which is why I switched.
mdputnam's Avatar mdputnam 03:54 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

WTF Netflix
really

Back to the Future Blu-ray release is only available as the 25th Anniversary Trilogy containing all three movies. Most likely it will not be widely available as a single disk until after Christmas to maximize the sales of the ~$50 box set. Not releasing a single disk rental version is a marketing decision made by Universal Studios. Universal is betting that you'll get mad enough to go buy the box set!
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 04:14 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post

Back to the Future Blu-ray release is only available as the 25th Anniversary Trilogy containing all three movies. Most likely it will not be widely available as a single disk until after Christmas to maximize the sales of the ~$50 box set. Not releasing a single disk rental version is a marketing decision made by Universal Studios. Universal is betting that you'll get mad enough to go buy the box set!

The LOTR was releases as a Trilogy and they were available in singles for rental from BB and I believe Netflix as well.
So Warner/New Line obviously allows a box set to be separated for rental but may be Universal does not.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 04:14 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:

more expensive, probably won't carry them, will be dead soon, and no streaming. Also, their waits were a lot longer than Netflix, which is why I switched.

With Blu-ray Blockbuster is $8.99 per month, Netflix is $10.99 per month. They carry all those that were asked about in that post above. Hard to say what will happen to BB, in the meantime why not use them while they are still around? No streaming, but they do have OnDemand to buy/rent/download just like Apple, Amazon, etc. In my experience, my waits have consistently been shorter with BB than they have been with Netflix. I'll put a title in both queues, and far more often than not, BB is the one preparing to ship it out first. For $3 more per month($11.99) you can also get 5 in-store exchanges per month, typically it ends up being more though, remember, Netflix charges $10.99 per month just to get Blu-ray.

To each his/her own, Blockbuster has been working great for me, and since there's no contract, if they fold, I'll just use Netflix more. Currently I use Netflix for foreign film streaming, in fact, I'm going to drop the mail disc portion very soon. I have yet to see the streaming only option show up as a choice yet though, I thought they started that just a few days ago?
Milt99's Avatar Milt99 05:55 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:

Just FYI... I just called Netflix's customer service line to ask about the absence of titles like SEVEN, THE EXORCIST, TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, THE MALTESE FALCON, THREE KINGS, et al, from their service. The guy couldn't answer why those weren't being offered, so I just politely noted that they're major titles and if Netflix isn't able to offer titles like that on BD that I'd end up canceling and renting elsewhere. He made a note of the titles and said he'd get it to the order department, or whatever.

Might not be worth much, but if a number of people call and make that complaint, maybe they'll change their ordering. The number is 1-866-716-0414.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamScar View Post

I did this as well and reported on it a few pages back. It just seems silly to me that there is no communication between acquisitions and customer service in a company that is only available through the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

win2000 etal, just called NF customer service, read them the list above. The guy was cordial and recognized all of the films, He made a list and said he would forward it.
I of course informed him that not having these films and other future films would make my NF account useless.

WTF Netflix

really

Quote:

With Blu-ray Blockbuster is $8.99 per month, Netflix is $10.99 per month. They carry all those that were asked about in that post above. Hard to say what will happen to BB, in the meantime why not use them while they are still around? No streaming, but they do have OnDemand to buy/rent/download just like Apple, Amazon, etc. In my experience, my waits have consistently been shorter with BB than they have been with Netflix. I'll put a title in both queues, and far more often than not, BB is the one preparing to ship it out first. For $3 more per month($11.99) you can also get 5 in-store exchanges per month, typically it ends up being more though, remember, Netflix charges $10.99 per month just to get Blu-ray.

To each his/her own, Blockbuster has been working great for me, and since there's no contract, if they fold, I'll just use Netflix more. Currently I use Netflix for foreign film streaming, in fact, I'm going to drop the mail disc portion very soon. I have yet to see the streaming only option show up as a choice yet though, I thought they started that just a few days ago?

Thanks guys. I'm calling as well this is bull$hit.
I quit NF years ago when their service started to suck and I can do it again no problem.

win2000 etal, just called NF customer service and read them the above titles. The guy made a list and said he would forward it to the request department.
Of course I told him that not having these or future films would make my NF account useless.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 06:41 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:

I stand corrected. When I had BB last Sept (for 4 years) it was $20 a month.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 07:12 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:

I stand corrected. When I had BB last Sept (for 4 years) it was $20 a month.

The numbers I posted are for the 1-disc Total Access(includes free in-store exchanges) plan. BB is $19.99 for 3-disc Total Access while Netflix is $20.99 for 3-disc w/BD. BB does not distinguish between DVD and BD, it's all the same pricing.
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 07:19 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:

The numbers I posted are for the 1-disc Total Access(includes free in-store exchanges) plan. BB is $19.99 for 3-disc Total Access while Netflix is $20.99 for 3-disc w/BD. BB does not distinguish between DVD and BD, it's all the same pricing.

True, true. I guess NF is $1 more, but I figure it's worth $1 more since I stream over half my movies.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 07:24 PM 10-26-2010
Quote:

True, true. I guess NF is $1 more, but I figure it's worth $1 more since I stream over half my movies.

Yes, as I said earlier, it's personal preference, I really like the Netflix streaming for it's selection of foreign films, and I like the ability to free exchange in-store with BB(plus I don't seem to have as many long waits as with Netflix - and BB has BDs Netflix doesn't even carry), so I have the cheapest plan with both services which works for me.
ericjut's Avatar ericjut 06:13 PM 10-27-2010
Quote:

Thanks for the info. If NF offers a $7 streaming-only membership, I might just use both: NF for my streaming needs and paying $9 for the BD/games plan BB offers. It would be only $5 more a month and I would be ensured to get the BD I want as well as enjoying the streaming.

I just checked and every BD I couldn't get from NF in the last couple of months (and still can't) is available at BB.

Now I guess we just have to wait until Netflix offers that mythical streaming-only plan.
ericjut's Avatar ericjut 06:25 PM 10-27-2010
http://www.netflix.com
now shows a $7.99 streaming only plan, and you can add unlimited DVDs for $2 more, which would make the 1-DVD plan $9.99 (or $1 more than before).

In other words, looks like Netflix just hiked the price on their bottom unlimited for new subscribers.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 07:12 PM 10-27-2010
It still hasn't shown up on my account page, does anyone else with a Netflix account see the streaming only option?
42Plasmaman's Avatar 42Plasmaman 07:33 PM 10-27-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut View Post

http://www.netflix.com
now shows a $7.99 streaming only plan, and you can add unlimited DVDs for $2 more, which would make the 1-DVD plan $9.99 (or $1 more than before).

In other words, looks like Netflix just hiked the price on their bottom unlimited for new subscribers.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._May_Rise/5678

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...in_the_us.html
dargo's Avatar dargo 11:55 PM 10-27-2010
netflix drives bricks & mortar stores under then starts cutting back on new release
no reason not to have Aliens and BTTF
b_scott's Avatar b_scott 12:23 AM 10-28-2010
they would say their reason is that they are catalog titles. Doubtful Blockbuster stores would be getting those on BD in store.
MonoPestoso's Avatar MonoPestoso 06:52 AM 10-28-2010
Does anyone know that is going on with The Pacific, both the DVD and the Blu show a November realease date but it still in my saved titals. Does HBO have the 28 day realease window?
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 08:04 AM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoPestoso View Post

Does anyone know that is going on with The Pacific, both the DVD and the Blu show a November realease date but it still in my saved titals. Does HBO have the 28 day realease window?

HBO Home Video is a Warner company.
arbeck77's Avatar arbeck77 09:46 AM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargo View Post

netflix drives bricks & mortar stores under then starts cutting back on new release
no reason not to have Aliens and BTTF

Actually I wouldn't expect them to have Aliens yet. Whenever a disc is released as part of a box set, Netflix doesn't get it. When the release the Alien movies on individual discs, you'll be more likely to see it.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 10:32 AM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

HBO Home Video is a Warner company.

Correct, it's available via Blockbuster on Nov 2.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:19 AM 10-28-2010
What about RedBox? I have several free Redbox rentals from the McDonalds Monopoly game.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 11:31 AM 10-28-2010
Redbox and 'The Pacific'? It doesn't show up on a search at their site, maybe on or after the release date, I don't have any experience with how Redbox works.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 11:36 AM 10-28-2010
Quote:

Redbox and 'The Pacific'? It doesn't show up on a search at their site, maybe on or after the release date, I don't have any experience with how Redbox works.

You can go online, look at the Kiosks near you to see what titles they have, then reserve the BD(or DVD) at that location and pick it up later. You swipe your credit card and 15 to 20 seconds later it spits the disc out.
$1.50 for the first night with BD($1 for DVD) Then you can return it to any RedBox Kiosk prior to 9PM the next night.(or you can just walk up to a Kiosk a browse and get a title there using a credit card)

Not as convenient as Netflix, but for the occasional spur of the moment BD rental, or with these free rentals from the Monopoly game it's worth it.
Keenan's Avatar Keenan 11:39 AM 10-28-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can go online, look at the Kiosks near you to see what titles they have, then reserve the BD(or DVD) at that location and pick it up later. You swipe your credit card and 15 to 20 seconds later it spits the disc out.
$1.50 for the first night with BD($1 for DVD) Then you can return it to any RedBox Kiosk prior to 9PM the next night.(or you can just walk up to a Kiosk a browse and get a title there using a credit card)

Not as convenient as Netflix, but for the occasional spur of the moment BD rental, or with these free rentals from the Monopoly game it's worth it.

I'll have to try that out, although if memory serves, I think the BB kiosks have replaced the Redbox ones where I recall seeing them. I think my local Safeway had Redbox but is now BB.
randalthor's Avatar randalthor 04:22 PM 11-02-2010
I just got off the phone with Netflix. I complained about them not having the following TV shows and movies available on blu ray: Supernatural Season 5, Chuck Season 3, Battlestar Galactica Season 4, Battlestar Galactica Razor, Doctor Who Season 5, Seven, and the Back to the Future movies. I told the customer service rep that these titles are available on blu ray at blockbuster. I said that I didn't mind waiting 28 days for new releases but I was upset that there was no indication as to when these titles, if ever, will be available on blu ray. They just say DVD; not even a "blu ray availability date unknown." I told her I was thinking of switching to Blockbuster. She told me she didn't know when these titles would be available on blu ray, but that she made a record of the titles I mentioned. She said she could understand my frustration of not knowing when they would be available on blu ray.

She sounded very sympathetic to my complaints. She was a little too good at her job. After I got off the phone, I realized I forgot to complain about the fact that I'm paying extra for blu ray and yet it seems like that money is going towards streaming titles and not towards buying more blu rays. I think I would have done a better job complaining if I had gotten a rude customer service rep, instead of a polite, cute sounding, professional one.
arbeck77's Avatar arbeck77 05:05 PM 11-02-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by randalthor View Post

I just got off the phone with Netflix. I complained about them not having the following TV shows and movies available on blu ray: Supernatural Season 5, Chuck Season 3, Battlestar Galactica Season 4, Battlestar Galactica Razor, Doctor Who Season 5, Seven, and the Back to the Future movies. I told the customer service rep that these titles are available on blu ray at blockbuster. I said that I didn't mind waiting 28 days for new releases but I was upset that there was no indication as to when these titles, if ever, will be available on blu ray. They just say DVD; not even a "blu ray availability date unknown." I told her I was thinking of switching to Blockbuster. She told me she didn't know when these titles would be available on blu ray, but that she made a record of the titles I mentioned. She said she could understand my frustration of not knowing when they would be available on blu ray.

She sounded very sympathetic to my complaints. She was a little too good at her job. After I got off the phone, I realized I forgot to complain about the fact that I'm paying extra for blu ray and yet it seems like that money is going towards streaming titles and not towards buying more blu rays. I think I would have done a better job complaining if I had gotten a rude customer service rep, instead of a polite, cute sounding, professional one.

I agree with everything, except for BSG season 4. It actually hasn't been released on blu-ray yet. It is in the big box set, but the stand alone season won't be released until January. I don't expect Netflix to buy box sets and break them up. Especially since every other season is available individually.
Milt99's Avatar Milt99 05:49 PM 11-02-2010
My Netflix account is verging on bye-bye.
EJ's Avatar EJ 07:27 PM 11-02-2010
I've had my blu ray disc for 3 weeks, and feedflix says I've watched 32 streaming titles this month.
First ... 184  185  186 187  188  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop