AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by giedrys View Post

Can someone check if these titles are available for rent in BD:

It's kind of goofy that these are hidden at signup.netflix.com, but you can see the available formats without an account at dvd.netflix.com:

For example: http://dvd.netflix.com/Search?v1=Cinema+Paradiso
Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
rdgrimes, thanks for checking!

Cinema Squid, thanks for the link!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd like to try them again(I canceled my NF membership sometime after using their services for years). They are offering me 1 month trial for steaming+1DVD at the time.
Is there any way to sign up just for 3DVD's(plus BD)? Their new(old?) system is quite confusing.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Is there any way to sign up just for 3DVD's(plus BD)? Their new(old?) system is quite confusing.
Yes, but you have to fish around a bit for it. Or just call.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Quote:

I'd like to try them again(I canceled my NF membership sometime after using their services for years). They are offering me 1 month trial for steaming+1DVD at the time.

Sign up for the trial, and once you have an account, go into your account settings and you can choose the 3 disc plan with BD by clicking on the "Change Plan" link.
Then it will list all the plans, streaming only, disc only, and streaming and disc. With an option for BD rentals to also be included..

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Liked: 15
So I got my copy of "The Town" from Netflix in BD format yesterday and the GF and I started to watch the movie last night. Halfway into the movie the disc froze so I took it out of my player to see if there was any scratches of smudge marks I could clean up. No luck. So I popped the BD in my computer to make a copy so we could finish the movie. Here is where it gets weird. The movie is over 2 hours long but my computer was showing the BD was only 16 gig?? For those that don't know most 45 minute to one hour discs usually come in right under 25 gig and fit on the single layer discs and one hour and above are usually on the dual layer discs (50gig). So was wondering if

a) somebody had a regular copy of the town that could verify the size for me?
b) if anyone else has noticed this from Netflix before (I have burned a disc or two because of skipping issues before or simply to time shift my watching and return the disc early and this is the first time I have seen such a gross size difference).

The one thing I did notice was that my disc did say "rental" right on the front. Did Netflix compress the movie to fit on a single layer disc? Why on earth would they do that if that was the case.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 View Post

So I got my copy of "The Town" from Netflix in BD format yesterday and the GF and I started to watch the movie last night. Halfway into the movie the disc froze so I took it out of my player to see if there was any scratches of smudge marks I could clean up. No luck. So I popped the BD in my computer to make a copy so we could finish the movie. Here is where it gets weird. The movie is over 2 hours long but my computer was showing the BD was only 16 gig?? For those that don't know most 45 minute to one hour discs usually come in right under 25 gig and fit on the single layer discs and one hour and above are usually on the dual layer discs (50gig). So was wondering if

b) if anyone else has noticed this from Netflix before (I have burned a disc or two because of skipping issues before or simply to time shift my watching and return the disc early and this is the first time I have seen such a gross size difference).

The one thing I did notice was that my disc did say "rental" right on the front. Did Netflix compress the movie to fit on a single layer disc? Why on earth would they do that if that was the case.

The Town has a very low bitrate encode since they included the extended cut and theatrical cuts as seperate encodes on the retail disc and did not optimize them for a BD50. The rental version is only the theatrical cut which is the same encode as the retail disc.

tldr
a) Yes, the size is right.
b) WB did this not netflix.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I'm also thinking the studios may be going for lower encode rates so that 1) they can save money by doing a single layer BD and 2) sell you the movie again later at a higher bitrate and maybe 4K resolution.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can someone familiar with this title explain this to me? I've been itching to watch the extended/international version of Red Cliff. So the listings in Netflix are confusing me.

There's these two:
So Part 2 was in "Unavailable" status for months, so I never bothered having it shipped to me at all in hopes that it would someday become available. Well, that time has come so I bumped them up in my queue.

Today, the first title above ship to me, but it looks like this (Like maybe it includes Part 2?):

I'm just wondering if it's ok to remove Part 2 from my queue, because if not, it's going to ship tomorrow. Would rather not waste having it shipped if it's included in what shipped today. Yes, i could move Part 2 down in my queue so it doesn't ship tomorrow and I can verify one way or another tomorrow night if I need it. I was just hoping to watch the whole thing back-to-back so would rather not delay it if it's not included in what shipped today.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Can someone familiar with this title explain this to me? I've been itching to watch the extended/international version of Red Cliff. So the listings in Netflix are confusing me.

There's these two:
So Part 2 was in "Unavailable" status for months, so I never bothered having it shipped to me at all in hopes that it would someday become available. Well, that time has come so I bumped them up in my queue.

Today, the first title above ship to me, but it looks like this (Like maybe it includes Part 2?):

I'm just wondering if it's ok to remove Part 2 from my queue, because if not, it's going to ship tomorrow. Would rather not waste having it shipped if it's included in what shipped today. Yes, i could move Part 2 down in my queue so it doesn't ship tomorrow and I can verify one way or another tomorrow night if I need it. I was just hoping to watch the whole thing back-to-back so would rather not delay it if it's not included in what shipped today.

isn't the international version over 4.5 hours long? That would be why it's on two BDs.

EDIT: Yes Amazon lists it as being 288 minutes long and two discs.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Cliff-Inte...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

LED DLP
Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

isn't the international version over 4.5 hours long? That would be why it's on two BDs.

Well, that's why I was asking based on the picture I posted...whether they were shipping both discs together, or if I needed to keep part 2 as a separate title in my queue.

Regardless, Netflix answered the question for me, since i received a second shipping notice about Part 2 coming as well (so I removed the separate title from my queue). Both discs are shipping together, which makes me wonder why they bother listing Part 2 as a separate title if it's included as part of the "international version"

I've never seen this before, but my at home titles list both discs under one title. There aren't very many movies spread across 2 discs, so I probably wouldn't have seen it before (You'll also notice I have Ghost Protocol coming. Boo-yah!).
Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermr2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I'm also thinking the studios may be going for lower encode rates so that 1) they can save money by doing a single layer BD and 2) sell you the movie again later at a higher bitrate and maybe 4K resolution.

there may be something to this. i've been using redbox for the last 6 months, and have noticed in the last 2-3 months the brs if rent don't have
the pop i would expect. doesn't look any better than some ota hd.

on another thread someone said redbox is only using bd25 for all their br rentals which would explain why they look only slightly better than a dvd.

my ghost protocol was not reference quality which most are posting on that thread. anyone rent and view ghost bd from netflix.

is it reference?

is it a bd25?

if the studios are doing this to force us to buy every bd release, this can become a very big nightmare.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The last couple of rentals that i got from Netflix were all dual layer Blu-Ray.

This included The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US Version) and Attack The Block. Moon was also dual layer. In fact, I don't recall a single rental in the past few months that I've analyzed on my HTPC's blu-ray player that wasn't >25gb.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tighr View Post

The last couple of rentals that i got from Netflix were all dual layer Blu-Ray.

This included The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (US Version) and Attack The Block. Moon was also dual layer. In fact, I don't recall a single rental in the past few months that I've analyzed on my HTPC's blu-ray player that wasn't >25gb.

looks like i'm swithcing back to nf. after spending all this $ on ht, i can't tolerate they low quality of redbox bds.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

there may be something to this. i've been using redbox for the last 6 months, and have noticed in the last 2-3 months the brs if rent don't have
the pop i would expect. doesn't look any better than some ota hd.

on another thread someone said redbox is only using bd25 for all their br rentals which would explain why they look only slightly better than a dvd.

my ghost protocol was not reference quality which most are posting on that thread. anyone rent and view ghost bd from netflix.

is it reference?

is it a bd25?

Definitely not true from what I've seen from my Redbox rentals. if anything they have rarely been on a BD25 and have normally been on a BD50. And Ghost Protocol from Netflix was not on a BD25. Although I didn't look at the content on the rental disc I got from Netflix since I purchased the special edition version from Best Buy so I only watched the movie from that. But the discs did look the same on the label. Both also said it was the movie only on label.

LED DLP
Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Correct, Ghost Protocol from Netflix is on a BD50 with about 35GB for the movie.

Bazinga!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

but since we can verify that netflix isn't using bd25s makes me want to move back to them. redbox 3 tinker tailor rentals that wouldn't play, poor transfer on dragon tatoo, and certainly not reference bd on protocol.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but since we can verify that netflix isn't using bd25s makes me want to move back to them. redbox 3 tinker tailor rentals that wouldn't play, poor transfer on dragon tatoo, and certainly not reference bd on protocol.

Seriously? I have a hard time believing studios would be supplying Redbox with different rental versions than Netflix's rental versions.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper View Post

Seriously? I have a hard time believing studios would be supplying Redbox with different rental versions than Netflix's rental versions.

Yup, that costs money that studios don't want to spend. Even if the disc is dual layer it may have a lot of extras. I've rented some that had "making of" documentaries that were as long or longer than the movie and even in HD. Those take up space too. And of course these were not "rental" version. Rental versions could be lower res.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Yup, that costs money that studios don't want to spend. Even if the disc is dual layer it may have a lot of extras. I've rented some that had "making of" documentaries that were as long or longer than the movie and even in HD. Those take up space too. And of course these were not "rental" version. Rental versions could be lower res.

The disc analysis that I reference earlier reveals filesize of the title track (i.e., the film itself, not including any trailers, extras, commentaries, etc.). The vast majority of those are > 25gb.

~Tighr: Not helping the situation since 1983

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone know if the Netflix version of Gladiator is the newly-released version or the older one?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrunner529 View Post

Anyone know if the Netflix version of Gladiator is the newly-released version or the older one?

They have the theatrical version as well as the extended edition ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

4 day turnaround time on my first to second nf rental.

is that about average.?

last time i was a sub they were 3 day turnarounds

neflixis our nemesis
Old 04-26-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is that about average.?

Not for the bay area since you have two distribution centers there, at most it should be two days.

http://netflixfan.blogspot.com/2004/...n-centers.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

is that about average.?

A lot of that depends on when/where you dropped the movie off. If I drop it in a box that I know has yet to be picked up. I know Netflix will have the disc the next morning, and I will receive the replacement the next day; for a 3 day turn around. However, if I mix the box drop off, there's a non business day in between, or I leave the movie for my mail carrier to pick up; it will be 4 days.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is that about average.?

I would say three days is normal.

Day 1: mail the disc back
Day 2: Netflix receives and ships new disc
Day 3: I receive new disc.

I think moviegoer's 2 day opinion above was based off the above process taking 48 hours (from the time the mail is picked up, to when a new disc arrives) but it still spans those 3 calendar days, so most people say 3 days instead of 2.

What was the extra day you had? Did they not ship a new disc the same day they received it? Or did you have an extra shipping day somewhere?
Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I meant two days after the day you mail it(Mon-Thu), if you mail it on a Friday or Saturday you should get a new one on Monday or Tuesday. This has been my experience and I live 20 miles from a distribution center.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone know why bd of alien from the collectors edition is not available from netflix?

dvd version is available. want to show alien and aliens to my kids before we go see prometheus.

neflixis our nemesis