Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #811 of 8936 Old 04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Been on bb/netflix dvd plan(s) for years, NEVER had a cracked disc. Three weeks ago I switched to bluray, and I'm now at +50% of the bluray discs have arrived with crack(s) in the outer edge. This is bad, really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8936 Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Been on bb/netflix dvd plan(s) for years, NEVER had a cracked disc. Three weeks ago I switched to bluray, and I'm now at +50% of the bluray discs have arrived with crack(s) in the outer edge. This is bad, really bad.

I've been getting Blu-rays from Netflix for over 6 months. I've never had a cracked disc (I have had a couple of non Blu-rays that were cracked),
post #813 of 8936 Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

I would say ive never had a cracked disc but I have no idea. I have been renting with netflix over a year and typically never even look at the discs. I just put them in my player and they play. So far out of 100's of movies I've only had one disc that screwed up. I have never had a bluray movie mess up.
post #814 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 AM

Quote:

I've had several cracked BD/SD discs from netf*x--but nothing could top last weeks debacle; '30 Days of Night' had a slight, curved crack on the outer-edge. I reported the problem, requested a replacement, and 3 days later, they sent me the same, cracked disc! I'm sure its possible it was an accident. But I doubt it. I ended up renting it on AppleTV. No cracks this time. Except in the acting and storyline.
post #815 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Did you try playing any of them?

JohnG
post #816 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

Did you try playing any of them?

Ya, they crash my htpc playback software and/or the drive never finishes recognizing them.
post #817 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapoostaKid View Post

I've had several cracked BD/SD discs from netf*x--but nothing could top last weeks debacle; '30 Days of Night' had a slight, curved crack on the outer-edge. I reported the problem, requested a replacement, and 3 days later, they sent me the same, cracked disc! I'm sure its possible it was an accident. But I doubt it. I ended up renting it on AppleTV. No cracks this time. Except in the acting and storyline.

and you didn't have near the quality of the bd through the appletv...
post #818 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 08:59 AM

of course not quite BD quality, but no cracked/broken, unplayable, wait 2 months for an available disc from netf*x.
post #819 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

of course not quite BD quality, but no cracked/broken, unplayable, wait 2 months for an available disc from netf*x.

I personally don't have any of those problems you suggested anymore. I am the one that created this thread about blurays being long wait and so forth but I just don't seem to have that problem anymore.
post #820 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewmanpac View Post

At least from my experiences in the last month, I seem to be waiting less for new BD releases than I was Dec-Feb. Seems like they are buying more copies of the new releases (or I'm just lucky). Got I, Robot, I Am Legend, No Country..., Ice Age all within a few days of release.

Same here, far fewer "long wait"s in my queue over the last month or so. Very noticeable improvement for me.
post #821 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLIVE View Post

Same here, far fewer "long wait"s in my queue over the last month or so. Very noticeable improvement for me.

La Vie En Rose, which is SD, I've waited 6 wks-2 months. Blu-Rays have improved. recently also.
post #822 of 8936 Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:

La Vie En Rose, which is SD, I've waited 6 wks-2 months. Blu-Rays have improved. recently also.

FYI, La Vie en Rose is available in the Watch Instantly function.
post #823 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia P. View Post

that's right. It is.
post #824 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia P. View Post

never even heard of that movie? If its not a pretty popular movie, you could be waiting forever to get it. BTW, that movie is available on their online moving watching service... Why don't you just watch it on there?
post #825 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called customer service and told them this is a widespread problem and the PO machines are breaking them. They gave me the standard speech.... But they compensated me by sending out the next 3 movies on my queu (I'm on the one @ a time plan)! Frankly it should standard procedure when ever a problem disc is reported to send out extra movies automatically.
post #826 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

never even heard of that movie?

Marion Cotillard won the Best Actress Oscar for that movie...
post #827 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if you all have noticed, but Netflix seems to have been steadily filling in their back catalog of Blu-ray titles over the last several weeks. Most recently, they finally added in The Sopranos Season 6, Part 1 to go along with Part 2 (which has been available for some time).

There are still a number of conspicuous absences, but their coverage of the Blu-ray catalog is pretty dang comprehensive now. Big titles still M.I.A include Troy, Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, The Aviator, Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same, Bonnie & Clyde, SAW II (even though they have SAW I, III, IV), and, perhaps biggest of all, Harry Potter 1-4 (even though they have HP 5). There are also a number of missing titles from independent distributors like Anchor Bay, Eagle Rock, and Opus Arte - some of which they have in HD DVD.
post #828 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That reminded me of the Entourage incident.
I think it was season 3 part 1 disc 3.
When I opened the disc is was DeadWood disc 3.
So I reported it and sent it back in the mail. when the replacement arrived, lo-N-behold, it was the same freakin deadwood disc.

This time, I held the deadwood disc and waited for the replacement before shipping it back. Of course it took a week to get.

I also assume that somewhere out there someone kept getting an Entourage disc instead of a Deadwood disc...
post #829 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Still getting small cracks in Netflix Blu-Rays here in Indianapolis. On the 5 at a time plan. Usually get 5 a week and of those usually 3 are cracked. Getting kind of tired of it. May just cancel for a few months till they work it out.
post #830 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Just got a Blu-ray last week. Lifelong Netflix customer, literally started a couple of months after it got off the ground. I set my preferences to "blu-ray" and it converted everything on my cue that comes in Blu-ray over. I was surprised to see that about 50% of the titles were in Blu-ray, and all but one were available, the one that wasn't was "short-wait" and was just released in the last two weeks.
I think Netflix has clearly jumped on the bandwagon with blu-ray and because of this I upgraded my account to 4 at a time.
post #831 of 8936 Old 04-17-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post

Still getting small cracks in Netflix Blu-Rays here in Indianapolis. On the 5 at a time plan. Usually get 5 a week and of those usually 3 are cracked. Getting kind of tired of it. May just cancel for a few months till they work it out.

You should have a talk with your mailman.
post #832 of 8936 Old 04-18-2008, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tersanyus View Post

Call the post office. There is only some much control that Netflix has. If discs keep cracking prices will go up since they have keep to replacing inventory.

JohnG
post #833 of 8936 Old 04-18-2008, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Call the post office.

Huh? How many post offices does a disc run through from netflix to your house? At least two? How many different outgoing locations might a disc come from depending on stock?

Quote:

There is only some much control that Netflix has. If discs keep cracking prices will go up since they have keep to replacing inventory.

They have all the control. Simple as updated the packaging to protect thier inventory.

I'm using online to report cracks. Then calling customer service to get freebies until they get the picture.
post #834 of 8936 Old 04-18-2008, 07:22 AM

I have BB Total Access and I'm starting to notice a very slow turnaround in them sending out movies. I'm on the 1 at at time unlimited a month plan and I returned a movie on Tuesday and still nothing's shipped even though the next movie on my queue is AVAILABLE.

I normally try to return a movie on Sunday so that I can get the next movie early enough in the week and try to get another one in before the end of the week. However with BB throttling me it's starting to tick me off. Hell my shipped queue is even empty. I've never seen that before.
post #835 of 8936 Old 04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyc10 View Post

I have BB Total Access and I'm starting to notice a very slow turnaround in them sending out movies. I'm on the 1 at at time unlimited a month plan and I returned a movie on Tuesday and still nothing's shipped even though the next movie on my queue is AVAILABLE.

I normally try to return a movie on Sunday so that I can get the next movie early enough in the week and try to get another one in before the end of the week. However with BB throttling me it's starting to tick me off. Hell my shipped queue is even empty. I've never seen that before.

I have been having problem with BB also. They were great from mid feb through mid March, but since then my queue will sit completely empty for days.
The worst was a full week with nothing shipping. I complained to them and all they did was send me a coupon for a free instore rental.

I really like the blockbuster potential with the instore exchanges, but netflix is the winner as far as rental/return turnaround.

I got me wondering if blockbuster didnt have some type of limitation to how many movies you can rent in a month (including instore exhanges). Once you break that barrier, they stop shipping movies.
post #836 of 8936 Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Huh? How many post offices does a disc run through from netflix to your house? At least two? How many different outgoing locations might a disc come from depending on stock?

They have all the control. Simple as updated the packaging to protect thier inventory.

I'm using online to report cracks. Then calling customer service to get freebies until they get the picture.

My post office has never cracked a single one of my Netflix disk in the 5 years that I've been getting disc. Not a single one. Why, becasue I called them and told them there would be heck to pay if one of my new releases came cracked. Talked to my mail carrier as well. Have you seen Goodfellas?

JohnG
post #837 of 8936 Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My post office has never cracked a single one of my Netflix disk in the 5 years that I've been getting disc. Not a single one. Why, becasue I called them and told them there would be heck to pay if one of my new releases came cracked. Talked to my mail carrier as well. Have you seen Goodfellas?

What are you psychic? When exactly did you suspect that your discs might start coming cracked and decide to call? Did you also feel the need to call FedEx/UPS/DHL and tell them to be careful with all your packages? Err, no because most everyone who has a brain uses proper packaging.
post #838 of 8936 Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What are you psychic? When exactly did you suspect that your discs might start coming cracked and decide to call? Did you also feel the need to call FedEx/UPS/DHL and tell them to be careful with all your packages? Err, no because most everyone who has a brain uses proper packaging.

As a said I never had a broken disc in 5 years. Guess I have proper packaging.

Now, how many broken disc have you had, and what's this about a brain and packaging?

JohnG
post #839 of 8936 Old 04-19-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Updated packaging really seems to be the best solution if the cracking problems are becoming widespread. I don't know if any of you are also Gamefly subscribers (game rental service similar to Netflix), but they have very sturdy cardboard slips that they place game discs in, but otherwise their ship packaging is very similar to Netflix. I assume that this would be added an expense, but it can't amount to much and I'd certainly have no problems with an additional dollar or two per month tacked onto my subscription price if that were deemed necessary (especially since my monthly rate is actually a few dollars cheaper per month than when I signed up nearly 8 years ago).

At any rate, I have not had any problems with cracked Blu-ray discs even though I seem to be receiving discs from all corners of the U.S.. I have received a number of cracked, severely scratched, and otherwise unplayable DVDs in my time and, as others have stated, the best policy for requesting a replacement is to wait for a replacement to arrive before sending the damaged disc back.
post #840 of 8936 Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any movie that goes from your [pst office to my box better not be cracked, or in the f'in' oven you go head first!

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page