Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
post #8821 of 8954 Old 06-10-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I'm looking at a Netflix copy of Non Stop right now. I'm going to let it sit there for a week. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 8954 Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 360
I'm having the same issue with Lone Survivor.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #8823 of 8954 Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Maybe Universal is doing the 30 day delay on only certain titles. Or maybe Netflix got some early from other sources.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #8824 of 8954 Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Well it might certainly be only a single disc in your distribution area.
Could be, I noticed the Critertion Blu Ray of the original Godzilla went to very long wait when the new one came out in the theaters.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #8825 of 8954 Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Maybe Universal is doing the 30 day delay on only certain titles. Or maybe Netflix got some early from other sources.
Still on a very long wait. Since these titles aren't available at Red Box yet, they must be currently in high demand.

Ian

post #8826 of 8954 Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Still on a very long wait. Since these titles aren't available at Red Box yet, they must be currently in high demand.
Well, maybe, but Netflix prioritizes their queues for different users based on proprietary methods. That's a discussion that's been hashed out elsewhere, but suffice to say you can't tell anything about Netflix inventory by looking at a small sample size.

Matt
post #8827 of 8954 Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Well, maybe, but Netflix prioritizes their queues for different users based on proprietary methods. That's a discussion that's been hashed out elsewhere, but suffice to say you can't tell anything about Netflix inventory by looking at a small sample size.
It's very rare for me not to get a new release as long as I get my returns in each Monday. These two titles are still on a very long wait. I find that to be an exception.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #8828 of 8954 Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I've only read the last 3 or so pages of this long thread so my apologies if I've missed the info that I'm looking for:

Can someone tell me how much blu ray subscrptions cost on netflix? Either the one or two discs out a time plan specifically is what I'm interested in. It should be easy to find this info straight from Netflix's website but I haven't had any luck. Doing a quick research online shows $9.99 for 1 disc and $14.99 for 2 discs plus taxes but I'm not sure if this is current.

My last question deals with disc throttling. Is there a limit on the above mentioned plans or should I realistically expect 4 BDs per month on the 1 disc plan and 8 BDs per month on the 2 disc at the time plan.

I have been renting all my physical BDs for a couple of years from Redbox but lately have found it extremely inadequate on the limited amount and collection of BD releases they carry so I'm looking to supplement it with a netflix plan.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chere; 06-21-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #8829 of 8954 Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I've only read the last 3 or so pages of this long thread so my apologies if I've missed the info that I'm looking for:

Can someone tell me how much blu ray subscrptions cost on netflix? Either the one or two discs out a time plan specifically is what I'm interested in. It should be easy to find this info straight from Netflix's website but I haven't had any luck. Doing a quick research online shows $9.99 for 1 disc and $14.99 for 2 discs plus taxes but I'm not sure if this is current.

My last question deals with disc throttling. Is there a limit on the above mentioned plans or should I realistically expect 4 BDs per month on the 1 disc plan and 8 BDs per month on the 2 disc at the time plan.

Throttling does not limit how many discs you can get, it limits which discs you get. One turn per week would not result in much throttling anyway. Those prices do not include streaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.png
Views:	333
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	130370  
post #8830 of 8954 Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:

Change Plan
See your plan details

Unlimited Plans
Exchange discs as often as you want

1 Disc out at-a-time
$7.99 a month
$9.99 a month with Blu-ray

2 Discs out at-a-time
$11.99 a month
$14.99 a month with Blu-ray

3 Discs out at-a-time
$15.99 a month
$19.99 a month with Blu-ray

You are currently on this plan
4 Discs out at-a-time
$21.99 a month
$26.99 a month with Blu-ray

5 Discs out at-a-time
$27.99 a month
$33.99 a month with Blu-ray

6 Discs out at-a-time
$32.99 a month
$39.99 a month with Blu-ray

7 Discs out at-a-time
$37.99 a month
$45.99 a month with Blu-ray

8 Discs out at-a-time
$43.99 a month
$52.99 a month with Blu-ray

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #8831 of 8954 Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 112
^^^^^ Unlimited disc exchanges gets my attention. The 3 disc plan looks like a great deal if Netflix can average a turnaround once a week which should equal to 12 discs a month. Is that a realistic expectation?
post #8832 of 8954 Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
^^^^^ Unlimited disc exchanges gets my attention. The 3 disc plan looks like a great deal if Netflix can average a turnaround once a week which should equal to 12 discs a month. Is that a realistic expectation?
With a shipping center in my city I can turn discs 2x per week. But I don't because the throttling would kick in pretty heavy and I'd never get anything I really want.
post #8833 of 8954 Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I could do at least six a week if I wanted to with the three out plan. Since the shipping center gets the returns in a day and I get the ones they ship in a day. Sometimes they will even show up as being returned on sunday.

I'm switching to the two out plan next week and will be relying more on www.3d-blurayrental.com instead.
Since Netflix has become less reliable for me during the last few weeks. If I can't get the new titles I want like it always used to be, there is no point in me paying for the higher plans.

LED DLP
post #8834 of 8954 Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm on a 3-out plan with Bluray. I turn discs twice per week usually. I experience no throttling of the volume of discs (NF does a good job of receiving / shipping new ones), and because there is a center in my city, the things I mail Saturday are received Monday, and usually if I have new releases for that week at the top of my queue, I'll get at least some of them shipped for Tuesday delivery.

It's true, though, that stuff I don't get on release day will sit at very long wait for usually 1-3 months before I can get it. So, that release day ship is critical.

Marc
slimm likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8835 of 8954 Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
If your return timing is good, it's not unrealistic .. I have never experienced any sort of throttling ..
slimm and mailiang like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8836 of 8954 Old 06-23-2014, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
It's very rare for me not to get a new release as long as I get my returns in each Monday. These two titles are still on a very long wait. I find that to be an exception.
I'm sure not all of the old throttling/queue priority rules apply since they have bent over backwards to deal with the studios by going along with delayed availability, etc. But there are always exceptions, deals expire, they can still run low on some titles, etc. When that happens all the old proprietary methods of queue priority likely come back into play.

Matt
post #8837 of 8954 Old 06-23-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm sure not all of the old throttling/queue priority rules apply since they have bent over backwards to deal with the studios by going along with delayed availability, etc. But there are always exceptions, deals expire, they can still run low on some titles, etc. When that happens all the old proprietary methods of queue priority likely come back into play.

NF really does not have any real choice as it relates to the Studio / Content provider imposed delays, etc, other than pay full price for day of release material ..

And although NF uses a sophisticated algorithm in order to determine how many of any new release to pre-order, the ordering itself is done well in advance of actual delivery / release ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8838 of 8954 Old 06-23-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The bottom line for me is, that if this became a pattern, I'll just change my subscription to a cheaper plan. Except for those two titles, I'm still getting the new releases in my Que.

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

post #8839 of 8954 Old 06-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So, it has been several days since my DVD/BluRay queue website has updated. Discs have been received, and new discs shipped, but no activity on the queue page. Maybe this is how they will finally kill off the disc service and push everyone to streaming-only.

I talked to customer service yesterday to report a scratched disc (because I couldn't report it on the site, since the site doesn't even show the disc shipped...). They seemed mildly concerned about the problem but didn't have an ETA for a fix.

The worst part is that I asked for and received a bonus disc to make up the space in the queue for the scratched disc, but instead of picking my #1 or #2 disc regardless of wait status (the usual activity), it skipped way down in my queue and picked something of only mild interest. Sigh.

Come on NF! Get your act together!

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8840 of 8954 Old 06-28-2014, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
With a shipping center in my city I can turn discs 2x per week. But I don't because the throttling would kick in pretty heavy and I'd never get anything I really want.
I have the 1 out at a time plan and a shipping center in town. I always get 2 discs per week, every week. Return on monday, new on wednesday and watch it, return on thursday, new on saturday. Holidays of course mess this up. But I've not seen this throttling what so ever. If a new release is on the top of my list, I'll usually get it. Never waited longer than 2 weeks for a new release. Have some old movies that I'm STILL waiting on, but they must have literally 1 copy of it, lol.
post #8841 of 8954 Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
So, it has been several days since my DVD/BluRay queue website has updated. Discs have been received, and new discs shipped, but no activity on the queue page. Maybe this is how they will finally kill off the disc service and push everyone to streaming-only.
The natural evolution of what consumers want will determine the eventual phase out of NF physical disks .. based on the last few years of declining NF disk subscribers, 5 years is generous .. the economy of scale will play in ..

Uncle Willie

post #8842 of 8954 Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ok. Now this is just becoming absurd. Netflix is now officially a crappy disc service to me. I've had more discs go to long wait in the last 6 weeks than would normally occur over a 2 to 3 year period. I had one title this week on my list, Bad Words, and they never shipped it to me. This is basically unheard of in the 15+ years I've been a Netflix member. I knew I should have rented it from www.3d-blurayrental.com. At this point I am seriously considering dropping my disc plan from Netflix and completely relying on www.3d-blurayrental.com and Redbox for my disc rentals.

LED DLP
post #8843 of 8954 Old 07-09-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Ok. Now this is just becoming absurd. Netflix is now officially a crappy disc service to me. I've had more discs go to long wait in the last 6 weeks than would normally occur over a 2 to 3 year period. I had one title this week on my list, Bad Words, and they never shipped it to me. This is basically unheard of in the 15+ years I've been a Netflix member. I knew I should have rented it from www.3d-blurayrental.com. At this point I am seriously considering dropping my disc plan from Netflix and completely relying on www.3d-blurayrental.com and Redbox for my disc rentals.

I've been experiencing the same issue recently... I only rent new releases, and it has now reached the point where basically every title in my queue is listed as "Very Long Wait", and some of them have had that status since NF first released them a month ago. I'm hoping NF isn't turning into what Blockbuster became, but it's starting to look that way.
post #8844 of 8954 Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
I've been experiencing the same issue recently... I only rent new releases, and it has now reached the point where basically every title in my queue is listed as "Very Long Wait", and some of them have had that status since NF first released them a month ago. I'm hoping NF isn't turning into what Blockbuster became, but it's starting to look that way.
Yes. I decided that I am definitely going to cancel my disc plan by the end of my current term. I do the same thing and only have new titles in my queue. If I am not getting the titles sent to me then my money is just wasted since once a title goes to long wait, it can take forever to receive it. I figure Redbox can cover many of the new titles I would normally get from Netflix, and it might save me a little money. But Redbox is a little inconvenient since you have to pick up and drop off the disc.

The Netflix, two out, BD plan is costing me around $15.60 a month with taxes. I just rented a BD title from Redbox today and it cost me $1.61 with taxes. So I can get get nine titles a month and be paying a little less than with Netflix. Plus I'm paying for the three out plan with www.3d-blurayrental.com so they can also cover some of my rentals.

I wouldn't have even considered dropping the Netflix disc plan if Netflix had been sending me the titles like they were supposed to.
slimm likes this.

LED DLP
post #8845 of 8954 Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 AM

Woe is me. I very much enjoy renting newly released BD titles. I was previously a BB customer and am now with NF. Until recently NF met my needs, but they appear to be on there way to becoming the next BB. My entire queue is currently on "Very long wait" for the first time ever, and some of the titles have been available for over a month. Woe, woe is me.
post #8846 of 8954 Old 07-19-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 474
I'm not sure why so many are having trouble getting new releases. As long as I send a disc back on Saturday, they send me a new release on Monday to arrive on Tuesday. Sometimes I can send a disc back on Monday and still get a new release for that week.

The only things in my queue that say long wait are older or lesser known movies that are out of print, so they likely don't have a lot of copies in circulation.
post #8847 of 8954 Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

One of the reasons besides stocking less physical media and closing down some warehouse centers, back in early June, NF ended Saturday processing and shipping .. this move essentially resulted in a 17% reduction in service since the majority of Postal holidays fall on a Monday .. and also resulted in a fairly large quiet price increase for disk subscribers ..

NF is letting the physical media side die off slowly and is helping it along by short ordering titles, it's as simple as that .. although NF has stopped issuing churn numbers in it's reports, at the peak, a 3 disk out plan with perfect timing could theoretically churn 39 disks a month by burn and return methods ..

Although the physical disk business is still profitable, subscriber numbers have been dropping .. and you'll notice that NF is not doing much of anything to promote the physical disk side ..

The more lucrative self produced content, the fact that Hollywood has always hated the first sale doctrine on physical media, the continued successful expansion of streaming by NF outside the USA and other factors are continuing to herald the death of DVD / BD as far as NF goes ..

This still allows outfits like Redbox and www.3d-blurayrental.com to pick up the slack for a while, anyway ..

Shareholders, of which I admit to being one, have driven the stock up to about $445.00 a share, a clear signal that they believe NF is doing the absolute right thing and content delivery will continue to advance to the Cloud with less and less reliance on disk ..

Add to all that the fact that NF has become as ubiquitous as McDonalds / Coca Cola, etc, and is embedded in about every viewing device out there, Hastings knows he is and will be the market leader in all you can eat buffet streaming ..

And that's exactly what he wanted from the get go .. in fact, he'd prefer if you did cancel your disk plan ..

Uncle Willie

post #8848 of 8954 Old 07-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
One of the reasons besides stocking less physical media and closing down some warehouse centers, back in early June, NF ended Saturday processing and shipping .. this move essentially resulted in a 17% reduction in service since the majority of Postal holidays fall on a Monday .. and also resulted in a fairly large quiet price increase for disk subscribers ..

NF is letting the physical media side die off slowly and is helping it along by short ordering titles, it's as simple as that .. although NF has stopped issuing churn numbers in it's reports, at the peak, a 3 disk out plan with perfect timing could theoretically churn 39 disks a month by burn and return methods ..

Although the physical disk business is still profitable, subscriber numbers have been dropping .. and you'll notice that NF is not doing much of anything to promote the physical disk side ..

The more lucrative self produced content, the fact that Hollywood has always hated the first sale doctrine on physical media, the continued successful expansion of streaming by NF outside the USA and other factors are continuing to herald the death of DVD / BD as far as NF goes ..

This still allows outfits like Redbox and www.3d-blurayrental.com to pick up the slack for a while, anyway ..

Shareholders, of which I admit to being one, have driven the stock up to about $445.00 a share, a clear signal that they believe NF is doing the absolute right thing and content delivery will continue to advance to the Cloud with less and less reliance on disk ..

Add to all that the fact that NF has become as ubiquitous as McDonalds / Coca Cola, etc, and is embedded in about every viewing device out there, Hastings knows he is and will be the market leader in all you can eat buffet streaming ..

And that's exactly what he wanted from the get go .. in fact, he'd prefer if you did cancel your disk plan ..

I want the best of the best, and that includes both video and audio quality. It's sad that the vast majority of people will settle for less, but I'm obviously in the minority.
post #8849 of 8954 Old 07-19-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I'm not sure why so many are having trouble getting new releases. As long as I send a disc back on Saturday, they send me a new release on Monday to arrive on Tuesday. Sometimes I can send a disc back on Monday and still get a new release for that week.

The only things in my queue that say long wait are older or lesser known movies that are out of print, so they likely don't have a lot of copies in circulation.
Having a problem was an extremely rare experience for me over the last 15.5 years with Netflix. But for almost the last couple of months I've had issue after issue, week after week. This past week was the first time in a while that I got the new releases sent to me. But it's a little too late. I've already decided to cancel my Netflix Disc service at the end of my current month and use RedBox more and www.3d-blurayrental.com for more 2D rentals. I'll still use Netflix streaming, but after renting discs from Netflix since early 1999, they will now lose me as a disc customer.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-19-2014 at 08:18 PM.
post #8850 of 8954 Old 07-20-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

he'd prefer if you did cancel your disk plan ..
I'm keeping mine just to spite him!

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page