post #8851 of 8874 Old 07-20-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

he'd prefer if you did cancel your disk plan ..
I'm keeping mine just to spite him!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8874 Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I haven't had any issues with my Blu-ray discs coming in the mail. I always get the next one in my queue but I'm not one that has to have a disc the day it's released, I have no problem waiting since there are plenty of other choices. I really don't pay much attention to what is a new release and what's been out awhile. I just watched Captain Phillips last night and enjoyed it immensely. I did cut down from three discs to two after their last price increase but I'm still very satisfied with the service.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #8853 of 8874 Old 07-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I found it interesting that "NON STOP" and "LONE SURVIVOR" were not rental copies even though the discs were from Universal. The special features worked which are usually removed from Universal titles!!! "LONE SURVIVOR" was also listed as "very long wait" but I got it finally last week.
post #8854 of 8874 Old 07-23-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 607
I just canceled my Netflix BD plan last night. So my month runs out on July 26th and I need to have the discs in around a week later. I guess if Netflix offers me a deal I could re-subscribe. But the last couple of months they had just been wasting my money by not sending me anything even though I had no titles at home.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #8855 of 8874 Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Despite the fact that my returns are received by Monday, I've never been able to get Lone Survivor, or Non Stop and now it's Sabotage that has gone into a very long wait status? Please! I seem to be making trips to the local Red Box lately, so I reduced my plan. If this new trend continues, my subscription will not.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #8856 of 8874 Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

I also have Sabotage on my Netflix list. I looked for it online at RedBox. But Redbox shows that it won't be available until August 19th. So I guess I will be able to get it from Redbox then. Which will still probably be quicker than Netflix would have sent it to me.

LED DLP

post #8857 of 8874 Old 07-23-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Having a problem was an extremely rare experience for me over the last 15.5 years with Netflix. But for almost the last couple of months I've had issue after issue, week after week. This past week was the first time in a while that I got the new releases sent to me. But it's a little too late. I've already decided to cancel my Netflix Disc service at the end of my current month and use RedBox more and www.3d-blurayrental.com for more 2D rentals. I'll still use Netflix streaming, but after renting discs from Netflix since early 1999, they will now lose me as a disc customer.
And you'll be doing exactly what they want you to. You played right into their schemes. Better to drop them completely and tell them why.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #8858 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
And you'll be doing exactly what they want you to. You played right into their schemes. Better to drop them completely and tell them why.
+10

My service isn't what it used to be. It isn't terrible, but I've begun periodically calling them up and having them open a ticket for whatever issue and part of my statement is that I look to Netflix to be my main content provider, and that means keeping up good bluray disc service. If they loose my disc business, they loose ALL of my business.

Marc
Dan Hitchman likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8859 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Why would I drop them completely? No service out there can match the Netflix streaming service. And lately on FiOS I've been getting Super HD any time of the day, any day of the week.

Heck I need access to several streaming services to be able to access all the content I want. Since no streaming provider offers everything. I currently have a subscription to four streaming services. Plus I use several other streaming services that I pay per title to watch or have a catalog of previously purchased content.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-24-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #8860 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Why would I drop them completely? No service out there can match the Netflix streaming service. And lately on FiOS I've been getting Super HD any time of the day, any day of the week.

Heck I need access to several streaming services to be able to access all the content I want. Since no streaming provider offers everything. I currently have a subscription to four streaming services. Plus I use several other streaming services that I pay per title to watch or have a catalog of previously purchased content.
Netflix wants everyone on their streaming service. They actually want their disc service to die off. Canceling your disc plan only sends them the message they want to hear. They don't consider that punishment at all.

Many people with home theater systems understand that at this time (and probably for a long time to come) that Blu-ray is still the premium delivery medium for HD video and audio and don't want the disc rental business to dry up completely.
Craig Peer, Keenan, Marc_G and 2 others like this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #8861 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Netflix wants everyone on their streaming service. They actually want their disc service to die off. Canceling your disc plan only sends them the message they want to hear. They don't consider that punishment at all.

Many people with home theater systems understand that at this time (and probably for a long time to come) that Blu-ray is still the premium delivery medium for HD video and audio and don't want the disc rental business to dry up completely.
Yes. The only reason I can drop it is because I can use Redbox and www.3d-blurayrental.com to continue renting Blu-ray Discs. If I did not have those options then I would have never canceled my Netflix Disc service.

Bottom line though is that Netflix will be making less money from me. They easily made money from me with my Disc rentals since I didn't get alot from them.

LED DLP

post #8862 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I agree with all of this but I've come to the point that I'm not worried about it anymore. My take is that there's going to continue to be a viable market for renting blurays by mail probably for many years to come still. How much longer Netflix wants to continue to serve it is their decision but when they're gone there will still be 3Dblurayrental.com, and if 3D doesn't survive they will be replaced by someone else. It may mean paying a little more for your subscription but there are too many people who care about getting the best quality audio and video to imagine that market is simply going to go away just because Netflix doesn't want to play anymore.
post #8863 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you're not getting discs at ALL, then you need to add more titles to your rental que or cancel immediately.

But for everyone going on about how they never get these brand new titles on release day.... Netflix only has so much physical media and EVERYONE can't have a copy the first week. I've never had a problem getting movies in. Just add the new releases at the top and add other movies you want to see below it. You'll get the new release soon. The vast majority of the time I'll get the new movies on release day. If not, it's not this big a deal as everyone seems to be making it to be. ~$10/month for 6 to 8 movies, beats the hell out of any other service since b&m rentals are gone.

Not sure either how you can suggest that NF 'doesnt want to play' because of only X amount of bluerays causing a wait. DVD ques had the exact same problem before blueray came to Netflix.
post #8864 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
Not sure either how you can suggest that NF 'doesnt want to play' because of only X amount of bluerays causing a wait. DVD ques had the exact same problem before blueray came to Netflix.
I'd have to leave it to others to say if there's more of a wait on new releases now than there was before bluray. I don't remember that far back and my tastes have always run more to older titles anyway. (When I do rent a new release it's more likely to be from redbox or my local b&m). When I say Netflix doesn't want to play in the bluray rent by mail market over the long term it's because they've already made it obvious they don't want to. Just look at how many clicks it takes now to get from the Netflix home page to your DVD queue. Every update to the site they bury it under yet another layer to drive you to streaming instead. Not exactly subtle which service line is being promoted and which is being left to wither and die.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me that they want to get out, since I'm confident that the market will still be and there will continue be a viable alternative for the foreseeable future. But if you really don't see that Netflix is going to be shutting down it's disc by mail business within the next 3-5 years tops then you're just not paying attention.
post #8865 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
I'd have to leave it to others to say if there's more of a wait on new releases now than there was before bluray. I don't remember that far back and my tastes have always run more to older titles anyway. (When I do rent a new release it's more likely to be from redbox or my local b&m). When I say Netflix doesn't want to play in the bluray rent by mail market over the long term it's because they've already made it obvious they don't want to. Just look at how many clicks it takes now to get from the Netflix home page to your DVD queue. Every update to the site they bury it under yet another layer to drive you to streaming instead. Not exactly subtle which service line is being promoted and which is being left to wither and die.

Like I said, it doesn't bother me that they want to get out, since I'm confident that the market will still be and there will continue be a viable alternative for the foreseeable future. But if you really don't see that Netflix is going to be shutting down it's disc by mail business within the next 3-5 years tops then you're just not paying attention.
It's takes two clicks, TWO, one takes you to the dvd section and the other to your dvd list. Two clicks to do anything on a web site is pretty good.
They might be getting out of the disc business in say 10 years. A lot of speculation is fueled on cheaper and faster internet access, faster maybe, cheaper no....

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #8866 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 PM

Liked: 11
Until Netflix has new releases on their streaming service, Blu Ray rental will continue to be viable. I have had the problems described as above in getting some new releases, but I did get this weeks new titles such as Under The Skin, 300 The rise of an empire in Blu Ray. I still believe data caps pay per data that Comcast wants to enforce after their merger with TWC is approved, will allow discs to continue to be rented for awhile longer as well.

-----------
Robert

Last edited by microbob; 07-24-2014 at 07:25 PM.
post #8867 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

If you simply set your shortcut to dvd.netflix.com, it's ONE SINGLE CLICK into your dvd que. Trying to say they buried this is rather funny, and using that to support your notion that NF is getting out of the bluray business is just straight stretching it.

Simply put, if NF gives up on disc rentals any time in the near future, they're done. Their streaming library has very little of anything newer to keep it afloat vs the other streaming players. Not sure where else you've been gathering support for your idea of this.
post #8868 of 8874 Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you're not getting discs at ALL, then you need to add more titles to your rental que.
That part of your answer is what I would expect from a customer service rep.

Quote:
But for everyone going on about how they never get these brand new titles on release day.... Netflix only has so much physical media and EVERYONE can't have a copy the first week. I've never had a problem getting movies in. Just add the new releases at the top and add other movies you want to see below it. You'll get the new release soon.
What's happening now is that the most popular titles are not becoming readily available anytime soon. Until I deleted them recently and went to RB, Lone Survivor, and Non Stop remained at the top of my Que for over a month and still was on a very long wait. It will be interesting to see if this also happens with Sabotage, which also showed a very long wait status as soon as it was released.

Ian

Last edited by mailiang; 07-24-2014 at 08:57 PM.
post #8869 of 8874 Old 07-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
It's takes two clicks, TWO, one takes you to the dvd section and the other to your dvd list. Two clicks to do anything on a web site is pretty good.
For you maybe. Here's how it works for me: Click Sign In to get another page to enter your actual login info then click Sign In again (with no option to stay logged in if you're on a laptop since "remember me on this device" won't work), then the annoying "Who's Watching" page to pick your profile (still just me thanks, and I'm not watching anything right now I just want to get to my friggin queue), then click DVDs on the top toolbar (in even smaller font than "KiDS" much less the banner for whichever of their original programs they are using 90% of the page to promote), and then DVD QUEUE.

It's becoming like calling Comcast or AT&T support and having to endure their marketing pitch for some other service while you're waiting for someone to address your actual question. "LOOKING FOR YOUR QUEUE? ARE YOU SURE YOU DON'T WANT TO STREAM SOMETHING INSTEAD? WHY NOT TAKE A LOOK AT OUR WONDERFUL ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING?"

Again, I'm really fine with all this. But just like with a retail B&M, if there are some products you give all your window space to and others you bury further and further in back, it's not a mystery where you're going with that.
post #8870 of 8874 Old 07-25-2014, 07:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
If you're not getting discs at ALL, then you need to add more titles to your rental que or cancel immediately.

But for everyone going on about how they never get these brand new titles on release day.... Netflix only has so much physical media and EVERYONE can't have a copy the first week. I've never had a problem getting movies in. Just add the new releases at the top and add other movies you want to see below it. You'll get the new release soon. The vast majority of the time I'll get the new movies on release day. If not, it's not this big a deal as everyone seems to be making it to be. ~$10/month for 6 to 8 movies, beats the hell out of any other service since b&m rentals are gone.

In 15+ years with netflix, they sent me a new title 99% of the time each week.. But over the last couple of months, they missed sending me more titles than used to occur over a three or four year period(or probably longer). I would typically have no BD titles out before that Monday so the new BD titles would get sent to me for arrival on Tuesday. But the service went in the crapper over the last couple of months.

I had multiple weeks where I had no BD titles out, and several new BD release titles in my queue. And they would send me nothing. Which again used to be an extremely rare occurrence. Which was just wasting my money. One week I had five new BD release titles in my queue with no BD's at home. Monday came around, nothing got shipped to me. Tuesday, nothing got shipped to me. They went to very long wait. That situation was unheard of for me with my long history at Netflix. That had never happened before.

So for now they have lost me as a customer. I might come back later this year, but they will need to offer me a promotion first for me to sign up. For now Redbox and www.3d-blurayrental.com will have to cover my BD rentals. At least with www.3d-blurayrental.com I can rent 2D and 3D BD titles as well as game titles for my XBOnes and PS4.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-25-2014 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling....doH!!!
post #8871 of 8874 Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
One of the reasons besides stocking less physical media and closing down some warehouse centers, back in early June, NF ended Saturday processing and shipping .. this move essentially resulted in a 17% reduction in service since the majority of Postal holidays fall on a Monday .. and also resulted in a fairly large quiet price increase for disk subscribers ..

NF is letting the physical media side die off slowly and is helping it along by short ordering titles, it's as simple as that .. although NF has stopped issuing churn numbers in it's reports, at the peak, a 3 disk out plan with perfect timing could theoretically churn 39 disks a month by burn and return methods ..

Although the physical disk business is still profitable, subscriber numbers have been dropping .. and you'll notice that NF is not doing much of anything to promote the physical disk side ..

The more lucrative self produced content, the fact that Hollywood has always hated the first sale doctrine on physical media, the continued successful expansion of streaming by NF outside the USA and other factors are continuing to herald the death of DVD / BD as far as NF goes ..

This still allows outfits like Redbox and www.3d-blurayrental.com to pick up the slack for a while, anyway ..

Shareholders, of which I admit to being one, have driven the stock up to about $445.00 a share, a clear signal that they believe NF is doing the absolute right thing and content delivery will continue to advance to the Cloud with less and less reliance on disk ..

Add to all that the fact that NF has become as ubiquitous as McDonalds / Coca Cola, etc, and is embedded in about every viewing device out there, Hastings knows he is and will be the market leader in all you can eat buffet streaming ..

And that's exactly what he wanted from the get go .. in fact, he'd prefer if you did cancel your disk plan ..
Quote:
If you simply set your shortcut to dvd.netflix.com, it's ONE SINGLE CLICK into your dvd que. Trying to say they buried this is rather funny, and using that to support your notion that NF is getting out of the bluray business is just straight stretching it.

Simply put, if NF gives up on disc rentals any time in the near future, they're done. Their streaming library has very little of anything newer to keep it afloat vs the other streaming players. Not sure where else you've been gathering support for your idea of this.
They would be very far from done ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8872 of 8874 Old 07-25-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I For now Rebox and www.3d-blurayrental.com will have to cover my BD rentals. At least with www.3d-blurayrental.com I can rent 2D and 3D BD titles as well as game titles for my XBOnes and PS4.
I still get new releases in a timely manner (Got NON-STOP on release day.) But 3DBR is better for rentals as they don't send the stripped-down rental versions that we get from Redbox and NF

post #8873 of 8874 Old 07-26-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
I still get new releases in a timely manner (Got NON-STOP on release day.)
Just curious, but how long did you have it in your Que?

Ian

post #8874 of 8874 Old 07-26-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Just curious, but how long did you have it in your Que?

Ian
2 days. I add to my queue based on their "Releasing This Week" listings.

Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page