Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 297 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8881 of 8893 Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 15,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
Then bookmark one link to go straight to your queue and another link to go to recommendations... it's actually pretty simple.
Why would I do that? I always stop at the DVD page first. Even if I wanted to go to the queue, it's one click to get there from the DVD page. Simple is having one bookmark on my toolbar right where I can easily click it.

Further, I'm not the guy who was complaining about the number of clicks. I actually pointed out that it's still only one click with my method.
NetworkTV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8882 of 8893 Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 312
They finally shipped Sabotage. Wow, only three weeks, things are improving! I had no problem getting Divergence, but it was a Lions Gate rental disc, with DD lossy audio.


Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #8883 of 8893 Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 312


Hmmm...Sabotage is a brand new retail copy. Most have ordered more.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #8884 of 8893 Old 08-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
mrjgkelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Oy

NF is starting to resemble the latter days of Blockbuster. I've had various popular new releases in my queue for a couple of months, and they're still categorized as "Very Long Wait". "Very Long Wait" used to mean the wait would be a couple of weeks, not a couple of months. What the hell is going on?
mrjgkelly is offline  
post #8885 of 8893 Old 08-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,229
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Same issue here. Had Non-stop in my queue since it came out, and it's still very long wait. I'm about ready to drop the disc and just keep the streaming.


S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is offline  
post #8886 of 8893 Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
tcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The same for me with Non-Stop. It has been at the top of my queue since the day it had a release date and has been at very long wait ever since. The only way I've been able to get new releases is if I return my current disc the Saturday before they are released so the new release actually ships out on Monday.

Also as a side note, I got Divergent last week and and it does not have a lossless soundtrack. This is one of those rentals that comes with your basic DD 5.1.

tcramer is offline  
post #8887 of 8893 Old 08-12-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
NF is starting to resemble the latter days of Blockbuster. I've had various popular new releases in my queue for a couple of months, and they're still categorized as "Very Long Wait". "Very Long Wait" used to mean the wait would be a couple of weeks, not a couple of months. What the hell is going on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post
Same issue here. Had Non-stop in my queue since it came out, and it's still very long wait. I'm about ready to drop the disc and just keep the streaming.


S~
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
The same for me with Non-Stop. It has been at the top of my queue since the day it had a release date and has been at very long wait ever since. The only way I've been able to get new releases is if I return my current disc the Saturday before they are released so the new release actually ships out on Monday.

Also as a side note, I got Divergent last week and and it does not have a lossless soundtrack. This is one of those rentals that comes with your basic DD 5.1.


Non-Stop, Sabotage and Lone Survivor are distributed by Universal Studios, and were not on a 28 day delay. They were purchased from limited retail stock. According to NCS, for some reason they were not available to Netflix from the distributors direct. All new releases have always been shipped on Monday.

As I posted before, Divergence was a Lions Gate/Summit Entertainment release. No lossless, no surprises here.



Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 08-12-2014 at 09:28 PM.
mailiang is offline  
post #8888 of 8893 Old 08-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yesterday I moved all of my "Very Long Wait" titles to the top of the queue, something I do about once or twice a month. That filled the top 34 slots. Two weeks ago a title went from VLW to being shipped from another distribution center. Today, less than 24 hours after adjusting my titles, 8 of those 34 titles are suddenly available and ready to be shipped. Most are catalog titles, not new ones and they are from various studios. Methinks that the severe cut-back in their disc services has possibly resulted in the marriage of some distribution centers. That would certainly explain why some of the waits were so long.
SMHarman likes this.
Aryn Ravenlocke is offline  
post #8889 of 8893 Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 6,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Yesterday I moved all of my "Very Long Wait" titles to the top of the queue, something I do about once or twice a month. That filled the top 34 slots. Two weeks ago a title went from VLW to being shipped from another distribution center. Today, less than 24 hours after adjusting my titles, 8 of those 34 titles are suddenly available and ready to be shipped. Most are catalog titles, not new ones and they are from various studios. Methinks that the severe cut-back in their disc services has possibly resulted in the marriage of some distribution centers. That would certainly explain why some of the waits were so long.
Except for those titles that I have mentioned, I haven't had an issue getting new releases. Since I always get my BD's the next day, they are obviously still using the same distribution center in my area, which is about 20 miles away.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #8890 of 8893 Old 08-13-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
The same for me with Non-Stop. It has been at the top of my queue since the day it had a release date and has been at very long wait ever since. The only way I've been able to get new releases is if I return my current disc the Saturday before they are released so the new release actually ships out on Monday.
I got Non-Stop last week. I haven't had it at the top of my queue as long as you guys. I'm telling you, there is more to their algorithm than just disc availability. There isn't going to be an easy answer, or the same answer for everybody.

Matt
turls is offline  
post #8891 of 8893 Old 08-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
mrjgkelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sad Face

In the past, if a new release title was at or near the top of my queue for more than a couple of weeks (which wasn't common), NF would notify me that they were sending the title from a different distribution center after they'd already sent me the 2 discs I was paying for on my 2 disc at a time plan. These notifications would occur the day after they already shipped the 2 discs that I was paying for, and I found it kind of odd that they wouldn't have just shipped it from a different distribution center as part of my regular 2 at a time delivery, but I obviously wasn't going to argue about getting 3 discs at a time instead of 2.


Apparently those days are over, since I've now had all of the new release titles mentioned above and others sitting at the top of my queue for up to 2 months, and they're shipping me titles from the dregs/bottom of my queue that I'm not even sure I want to watch... on tap this week, "The Railway Man" and "The Machine"... hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I kinda doubt it.
mrjgkelly is offline  
post #8892 of 8893 Old 08-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
In the past, if a new release title was at or near the top of my queue for more than a couple of weeks (which wasn't common), NF would notify me that they were sending the title from a different distribution center after they'd already sent me the 2 discs I was paying for on my 2 disc at a time plan. These notifications would occur the day after they already shipped the 2 discs that I was paying for, and I found it kind of odd that they wouldn't have just shipped it from a different distribution center as part of my regular 2 at a time delivery, but I obviously wasn't going to argue about getting 3 discs at a time instead of 2.


Apparently those days are over, since I've now had all of the new release titles mentioned above and others sitting at the top of my queue for up to 2 months, and they're shipping me titles from the dregs/bottom of my queue that I'm not even sure I want to watch... on tap this week, "The Railway Man" and "The Machine"... hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I kinda doubt it.
They still did this very thing with me a about a week ago. So it is still something that they practice, but given that they are cutting back discs entirely, I'm not surprised this is less common now.
Aryn Ravenlocke is offline  
post #8893 of 8893 Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
 
ElJimador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 80
So happy. After more than 1 year at the top of my queue, NF is finally mailing Rio Bravo to me. No complaints about the wait since the Region A version has apparently been out of print for a while now, so I'm just happy NF has it at all.

I'll also give NF points making The Children's Hour available from day 1 of it's blu ray release this Tues. I would love it if they did that more often with catalog titles even though I understand the market reality that there are few people like me interested in those vs. the masses of people chasing every new release. So when they do it's worth pointing that out and applauding it as well.
ElJimador is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off