post #8941 of 8950 Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I've not noticed it yet myself, but I don't think it's surprising .. damages, unreturned disks, lost in the mail .. etc .. and NF just deciding the juice is not worth the squeeze .. I still think Hastings will transition eventually to a full streaming model ..
I'm sure he'd like to, but he can't get access to enough of the content for that at a reasonable price. Of my top 100 discs, only about a fifth are available to stream. Hopefully our discs including precious blurays will be secure for years to come...

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 8950 Old 11-27-2014, 06:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Netflix seems to be culling the small fry. Every time I've logged on this week I've gotten messages that they've removed movies from my queue because they no longer carry the movies. A couple of them were in the "saved" queue purgatory, so them going away doesn't surprise me, but more than half of them were movies working their way up my active queue that I expected to watch sometime not too long in the future.

Something like 10 movies were removed in total from my queue, in the last week or so. Anyone else seeing this?

Marc
Yes, same here. Most were from "Saved" which I figured they were never going to get anyway.

They've also moved titles from the main section to Saved without notice, which they used to provide.

On the good side some obscure UK TV shows that had been Saved for a long time moved into the main section. Netflix has been getting some of the new Criterion Blu-rays, and some Criterion out-of-print discs are still available, although Very Long Wait. I received The Third Man and The Man Who Fell to Earth in the past year.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #8943 of 8950 Old 12-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
Netflix seems to be culling the small fry. Every time I've logged on this week I've gotten messages that they've removed movies from my queue because they no longer carry the movies. A couple of them were in the "saved" queue purgatory, so them going away doesn't surprise me, but more than half of them were movies working their way up my active queue that I expected to watch sometime not too long in the future.

Something like 10 movies were removed in total from my queue, in the last week or so. Anyone else seeing this?

Marc

I got a notice posted to my queue last week saying that 3 movies in my saved queue were removed also. Personally I don't mind this at all and wished it happened more often. Right now I've still got about 50 titles in my saved queue, most of which are old catalog titles that have been sitting there for more than a year with availability "unknown". I'm sure most if not all of them are movies that Netflix only ever had in very limited quantity and probably has no intention of restocking (for the very good reason that there simply isn't any demand for them). I just wish they would cull these "dead" titles more regularly. When I tire of looking at them and delete them myself I'll tend to stumble on the same titles months later and let myself get momentarily excited again that they might actually be available now, only to see them drop right back into "saved".
post #8944 of 8950 Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Poor quality Netflix discs

The last three blu-ray discs I've received from Netflix have had serious drop-out issues and became unplayable after 20-50 minutes. Is this a Netflix problem? My BD player isn't that old (manufactured September 2012). I've tried cleaning the discs with no success. I'm wondering whether Netflix might be ignoring quality for physical media subscribers because of their strategic focus on streaming (at lower quality). Has anyone else seen this?

Panasonic TCP55ST50

Panasonic DMP-BTD220

Pioneer Elite VSX-43

2X Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75

post #8945 of 8950 Old 12-08-2014, 05:16 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Audio, video, or both? Do you have a list of titles?

Audio dropouts have become common on certain discs because of new authoring techniques. Sometimes there are work-arounds. It depends on the player and title.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #8946 of 8950 Old 12-08-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Netflix disc problems

Hi Bill. It's both. Playback freezes while the player seeks a readable track. Sometimes I'll see a succession of still images, broken up or mixed. Sometimes it gets past the bad part fairly quickly and other times it can't seem to recover. Usually I can't see anything wrong with the disc itself, and cleaning doesn't help.

Many times it's older discs that have the problems. Last night both Game of Thrones season 1 and Barry Lyndon showed symptoms; I gave up on GOT and Barry Lyndon just had a brief drop-out.

My player isn't that old, but maybe I should try replacing it.

Panasonic TCP55ST50

Panasonic DMP-BTD220

Pioneer Elite VSX-43

2X Bang & Olufsen Beovox S75

post #8947 of 8950 Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie52 View Post

They sometimes get dirty inside; what you describe could be just a bit of fluff on one of the laser heads.

They make cleaning discs, some don't touch the laser but just make a draft when spinning to blow out obstructions. I haven't used one.

Or: get a can of compressed air and blow it through the open tray slot.

If adventurous: open up the box and clean the head with alcohol and a q-tip.

Also: reseat all your HDMI cables at both ends. Everyone says "it can't be the cable" but it is amazing how many times a bad connection causes odd issues like this.

-Bill

post #8948 of 8950 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by techie52 View Post
Hi Bill. It's both. Playback freezes while the player seeks a readable track. Sometimes I'll see a succession of still images, broken up or mixed. Sometimes it gets past the bad part fairly quickly and other times it can't seem to recover. Usually I can't see anything wrong with the disc itself, and cleaning doesn't help.

Many times it's older discs that have the problems. Last night both Game of Thrones season 1 and Barry Lyndon showed symptoms; I gave up on GOT and Barry Lyndon just had a brief drop-out.

I had the same issue with Barry Lyndon on both the original disk Netflix shipped to me and on the replacement. It wasn't until I got the 2nd replacement that it played through without error.

I get a ton of blurays from Netflix as I tend to watch and ship back the ones I get immediately and I get almost nothing on DVD anymore. I also have no tolerance for this kind of freezing or skipping and at the first sign I take it out and send it back for a replacement. This usually happens 1 out of every 12-15 disks in my experience -- sometimes even when I inspect the disk under a light and can't see any scratches at all. Which makes me wonder if I should get a new player too. For now though it's just been easier to be cheap about it and continue to send them back for replacements instead.

BTW I should say that my tastes run to older titles since the big new releases I tend to get from Redbox instead. Which if that's true for you too, you should probably expect to have to deal with these issues more than others might just due to the inevitability that disks are going to get damaged the longer they are in circulation. Whether it's enough to make you want to invest in a new player is your call. I just don't know there are players out there that really better at playing through minor damage on disks. If there are I might consider investing in one myself.
post #8949 of 8950 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have consistently run into issues (5 discs out of the last 9 I've rented) with scratching causing audio and video drops renting via netflix and/or redbox. At least in this case, I think the streaming rental option is the preferred one, even if it is a more costly scenario.

I also had an older Phillips player that simply wouldn't play any Disney/Pixar movie after Tangled. Unfortunately, Phillips does an awful job with firmware support and didn't even have a firmware upgrade available to attempt a fix. Got sent to an eBay grave. Say what you will about the PS3/XboxOne/PS4 as sub-par blu-ray players, their internet-connected architecture allows them to get the latest security updates.

Samsung LN46C630K1F
Samsung HW-C700
Xbox One
Xbox 360 E
Tivo Premiere
Xbox Live: Penetronn
post #8950 of 8950 Unread Today, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 846
After dropping the Disc plan I just signed up again. I'm on the two out BD plan right now. There were some titles I wanted to see but only Netflix had them right now. So I'll keep it for a few months before dropping back to streaming.

I've been with Netflix almost sixteen years now. I can't believe how long it's been, I only wish I had bought several thousand dollars of their stock when I had the chance in the early 2000's.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page