Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 300 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes
post #8971 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
There's no question that streaming is and will be their focus going forward, but I'm not sure I've seen anything like this before that commits them to continuing with DVD/BD indefinitely while explaining why it makes sense for them to do so. The problem is delivery times (USPS) and reduction of shipment centers that means the quality of the service will only get worse. As this or other articles state, they don't really have competition for physical like they do for streaming. That's why they don't bother with 3D BD, even though my local Family Video (a competitor) has a decent selection, they know I'm not dropping their service for that alternative.
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/ren...launches-33753

http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I know, I know, I almost included 3Dblurayrental in my post. I've seen the competitors come and go over the years and they aren't competitors in the strict sense of the word because they don't have the inventory or the shipping centers to compete. Same as Family Video might have 3D BD, but they don't have near the selection as Netflix and of course the late fees, etc.

Matt
post #8973 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
I've seen the competitors come and go over the years and they aren't competitors in the strict sense of the word because they don't have the inventory or the shipping centers to compete. Same as Family Video might have 3D BD, but they don't have near the selection as Netflix and of course the late fees, etc.
....and they're not as cheap.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #8974 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Not sure why that would matter as you don't get many new releases when they actually come out any more anyway. Who cares if you wait an extra day or three for a disc when they had the 30 day or whatever buffer already.
It matters greatly to me, in the way I use Netflix. While I don't like their release delays, the fact is that eventually they get the discs and ship them to me. I don't care if a movie comes out on NF January 13 or January 20... for me, the key thing is how many turns can I do in a week, and keeping those turns lined up with the Monday shipment of new releases. I'm a 3-out bluray customer. Here's a typical week:

Monday: NF receives 3 discs from me, and ships me some mix of new releases from that week's release batch, plus maybe some other older titles. I typically have at least 2 "first week New Releases" at the top of my queue, sometimes more if there's a newly released TV series I've been waiting for. I've got a good record of getting at least 2 out of 3 new releases on release day.
Tuesday: I receive the three discs and use them.
Wednesday: They are back in the mail headed to NF
Thursday: NF receives them and sends me the next 3 discs in my queue, usually older titles because by now the first week new releases I didn't get shipped on Monday are now "Very Long Wait" status.
Friday: I get the discs and use them
Saturday: They are back in the mail headed to NF, so that they will be received on Monday to start the cycle again.

So, my process maximizes the number of first week new releases I can get, and I get older titles usually later in the week. It's all pretty slick, but depends on next day mail receipt and a six day mail week.

Now, I don't always use the discs immediately. I might be traveling, or too busy to get to them, or a holiday may interrupt the cycle... but the way I do it I've always got plenty queued up to watch on my HTPC, fed by maximizing the turnaround rate whenever possible.

The date NF releases a title doesn't matter much... my queue has 200-300 titles in it at any one time. For the record, those titles are only 15-20% streamable, based on the top 40-50 titles in my queue.

My bill is $29.38/month. I think about $8 is dedicated to streaming, right? (correct me if I'm wrong). Let's round up to the disc w/ bluray service being $22/month. I average 5 discs per week (and let's round down and just call a month an even 4 weeks), so that's 20 discs on average. So, a disc costs me $1.10 per movie. And a lot of what I watch is TV series (average 4 episodes per disc... call it ~$0.28 per episode). I see Amazon or Apple selling episode views for $1.99 or 2.99 each... SHEESH!

So, anything that degrades the service has a big impact on my value of the service, both real and perceived.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #8975 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 742
^^^ So, in a nutshell, you copy the disks ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8976 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
My bill is $29.38/month. I think about $8 is dedicated to streaming, right? (correct me if I'm wrong). Let's round up to the disc w/ bluray service being $22/month. I average 5 discs per week (and let's round down and just call a month an even 4 weeks), so that's 20 discs on average. So, a disc costs me $1.10 per movie. And a lot of what I watch is TV series (average 4 episodes per disc... call it ~$0.28 per episode). I see Amazon or Apple selling episode views for $1.99 or 2.99 each... SHEESH!

So, anything that degrades the service has a big impact on my value of the service, both real and perceived.
I get what you're saying but what you're really pointing out here is exactly how far Netflix's service would have to degrade to make its competitors more attractive options, especially for a customer like yourself. Look at the competition for bluray rentals:

Redbox: $2 per disk, very limited (and shrinking) selection, no TV

3Dblurayrental.com: $2.40 per disk ($35.99 per mo on the 3x plan / max 15 rentals per month).

Vidiux.com: $3.49 per disk (first I've heard of them but selection looks even more limited than Redbox)

Local B&M: ?? I have a great one in my neighborhood (w/a large Criterion selection even) that charges $3.50 per disk but w/the 3rd rental free = $2.33 per disk. But how many people are even lucky enough to have a local B&M anymore?

Basically according to your math Netflix is going to remain the best deal for blurays on a cost per rental basis even if the service degraded to the point that you were only averaging 10-15 rentals per month instead of 20. Which is not to say that you should be happy about the service falling off. Just pointing out that Neflix would have to fall off quite a bit more to lose it's perch as the best deal going for bluray rentals.
post #8977 of 8981 Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
JHL
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have noticed additional delays for my discs recently.
It now takes 2 days for discs to reach me from the local distribution center and returns often take 2-3 days to be received.
post #8978 of 8981 Old 01-24-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL View Post
I have noticed additional delays for my discs recently.
It now takes 2 days for discs to reach me from the local distribution center and returns often take 2-3 days to be received.
Still one day for me.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #8979 of 8981 Old 01-25-2015, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Still one day for me.

Ian
The delayed shipping thing happened to me this week. Didn't get my new releases until Thursday from the Atlanta distribution center. Called Netflix and they said the USPS changed the way they handled Netflix mail and did not notify them. Said they were working with USPS for resolution. Got a 4th (extra) disc for my call.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #8980 of 8981 Unread Today, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by au-734 View Post
The delayed shipping thing happened to me this week. Didn't get my new releases until Thursday from the Atlanta distribution center. Called Netflix and they said the USPS changed the way they handled Netflix mail and did not notify them. Said they were working with USPS for resolution. Got a 4th (extra) disc for my call.
This is the same thing happening to me for 2 weeks now. I normally get my disc the next day.
post #8981 of 8981 Unread Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Mine showed up over-night this week, 2 days last week, over-night the week before that. Maybe they got it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page