Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 302 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
post #9031 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
So you're saying NF should pay for the problems at USPS .. ?? Perhaps Hastings should just pony up and buy a drone fleet ..
No that is not what I said. Read it again if you missed an edit. Its one of a boatload of junk that's come down the pike, some in Netflix' control and some not. Neutered audio, rental only versions, refusal to buy many catalog editions of Blu-rays, ignoring the existence of 3D Blu-ray, etc.

And besides that, who has determined it is definitely a problem at USPS and not Netflix getting a better rate for less service?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
No that is not what I said. Read it again if you missed an edit. Its one of a boatload of junk that's come down the pike, some in Netflix' control and some not. Neutered audio, rental only versions, refusal to buy many catalog editions of Blu-rays, ignoring the existence of 3D Blu-ray, etc.

And besides that, who has determined it is definitely a problem at USPS and not Netflix getting a better rate for less service?

If you've followed the thread, you know the finger points directly at USPS .. and I'm pretty sure your position on NF "helping a poor user out" is clear .. :

"That's fine, then Netflix needs to realize this (not just this but all the reductions in service) and the realities that physical users are the red-headed stepchildren and throw us a bone. Drop the Blu-ray surcharge, lower the monthly fee, something."

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9033 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Neutered audio, rental only versions, refusal to buy many catalog editions of Blu-rays, ignoring the existence of 3D Blu-ray, etc.
The solution to every one of these complaints:
http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

Whatever they don't have in stock, you only have to request it and they will add it to their inventory (provided it's region A or all). The only catch is that it costs more (~$35/mo for 3 at a time, max 15 rentals per month) and depending on your location the disks are most likely not going to get to you as quickly as they do from Netflix.

Pick either one (or both) but don't expect filet mignon at ground chuck prices.
post #9034 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Pick either one (or both) but don't expect filet mignon at ground chuck prices.
I know. That's not the point. I don't really need to hear about the alternatives every time I criticize Netflix, but thanks anyway.

Matt
post #9035 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
In reading about the Netflix slowdown at various sites it amazes me how many people are blaming Netflix for the problems when it has clearly been USPS actions that have created the problem. When I first joined Netflix many years ago, they would ship the next disc as soon as you went online and tagged the disc as mailed. I don't remember the exact terms, but I seem to remember having effectively 6 or 7 discs out at one time, either in hand or en route. Of course that was before they had distribution centers everywhere.

There is no question that the USPS decision to slow down all first class mail delivery makes the Netflix deal less attractive. The number of movies I rent a month will drop by almost half with the cost staying the same. I guess Netflix could go back to allowing the customer to flag a disc as mailed, and just send the new one based on the customer's word. I wonder how often they got burned when they did it that way.
post #9036 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
The solution to every one of these complaints:
http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/
I don't see how 3d-blurayrental.com solves the problem of USPS service standard changes.
post #9037 of 9058 Old 02-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
In reading about the Netflix slowdown at various sites it amazes me how many people are blaming Netflix for the problems when it has clearly been USPS actions that have created the problem. When I first joined Netflix many years ago, they would ship the next disc as soon as you went online and tagged the disc as mailed. I don't remember the exact terms, but I seem to remember having effectively 6 or 7 discs out at one time, either in hand or en route. Of course that was before they had distribution centers everywhere.

There is no question that the USPS decision to slow down all first class mail delivery makes the Netflix deal less attractive. The number of movies I rent a month will drop by almost half with the cost staying the same. I guess Netflix could go back to allowing the customer to flag a disc as mailed, and just send the new one based on the customer's word. I wonder how often they got burned when they did it that way.
My contract is with Netflix, not USPS. If USPS changed their sort deadline, NF needs to speed up when they deliver to USPS to keep the discs moving, or drop the price I'm paying, if they want to keep me happy. It sounds like in some locations this is happening, others (like mine), not so much and it takes two days to get the discs to me. So, from where I stand, the value proposition for my subscription just dropped by about a third, with no effort by NF to fix things. To make it worse, I'm suddenly getting a lot of buffering on NF streaming (my internet connection is fine; the problem is on NF's end).

In March I'm going to try the 3Dbluray rental place and see how reliable their disc service is.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9038 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Guess we won't be seeing anymore "when did you mail this disc back" emails.
I don't recall the last time I received one of those.

Quote:
There is no question that the USPS decision to slow down all first class mail delivery makes the Netflix deal less attractive. The number of movies I rent a month will drop by almost half with the cost staying the same.
I had one disc out-at-a-time until yesterday. With the slower turnaround time, receiving one disc a week just wasn't cutting it anymore. The 24/7 conspiracy theorists are probably all over this.

Here is an article discussing the slowdown.
post #9039 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I brought up the topic of USPS Network Rationalization some time back .. to expect NF to somehow compensate, reward the subscriber by cutting rates or offer some sort of pie in the sky "help a brother out" plan is one of the most ludicrous ideas I've seen on AVS ..

Like I said earlier, maybe Hastings should consider a Drone Fleet .. oh, wait, that's out too based on the FAA .. how about a Private Delivery Service that frizzbees the disk onto your front porch .. ??

Bottom line, NF will continue to transition to a streaming only model, which was Hastings original plan to begin with .. other niche companies like 3Dbluray will help fill in the gap, but within a short number of years, physical media will lose .. the writing has been on the wall for a long time ..

And, in an odd way, USPS Network Rationalization plays into that scenario .. although the two, I don't think, are connected via conspiracy, the USPS slowdown does play into NF long term plan ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9040 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
My contract is with Netflix, not USPS. If USPS changed their sort deadline, NF needs to speed up when they deliver to USPS to keep the discs moving, or drop the price I'm paying, if they want to keep me happy.
I think it is worse than USPS just changing their sort deadline. They have flat out said that they will not be delivering first class mail in one day. It may still be happening somewhere, but that may be short-lived as they close mail centers and make adjustments. I highly doubt that any other service is going to somehow do better.
post #9041 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I don't recall the last time I received one of those.

I still get them maybe once or twice a month, which seems odd as I'm only about 100 miles from the DC, I would think they would be focused more on subscribers located much further away.
post #9042 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Since my returned discs always make it to Netflix in one day, and I live within the same metro area as my NF center, I expect not much change there. Within a city, mail is still being delivered largely overnight. Maybe less than before, but still mostly overnight in the same city. Intercity delivery will take a bigger hit.

The problem in my area is pretty clearly NF not getting the discs into the mail stream early enough to be sorted for next day delivery.

Mail picked up at my house at 2 pm makes it to delivery next day anywhere in the metro area.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

post #9043 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
I think it is worse than USPS just changing their sort deadline. They have flat out said that they will not be delivering first class mail in one day. It may still be happening somewhere, but that may be short-lived as they close mail centers and make adjustments. I highly doubt that any other service is going to somehow do better.
My guess would be that rural and outlying areas will be hurt the most. Major urban centers like the SF bay area for example may not suffer as much because it would become a necessity to get the mail delivered to make room for more. There comes a point where just sitting on it becomes more costly than just getting rid of it, especially since the post office doesn't charge storage. If they're holding it a day and/or not guaranteeing overnight on first class that mail has to sit somewhere, be held and stored somewhere, which means it's costing them money.

Rural and less populated areas it could make sense to collect and store for a day or two and then deliver, not so much in high volume urban areas.

Commercial outfits like UPS and Fedex can do just as good if not better, it will just cost a lot more.
post #9044 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

In December NF moved my distribution center from Richmond (90 miles) to Raleigh, NC (180 miles). I would put my disc in the mail on Monday and receive it back from NF on Wednesday. Send it on Thursday and receive it on Saturday. My turnaround time was the same from either location. Things started slowing down the beginning of January; my turnaround time has been 6 days since then. Two weeks ago I made a phone call to NF inquiring about the slowdown and heard about the mail problem for the first time. I also asked why my distribution center had changed and wasn't given much of an answer. Since that phone call I'm now back in Richmond. No mail was picked up on Monday due to snow, so it went out on Tuesday and NF received it today (Friday). No way in h*ll I'll receive either of my disc in time for the weekend; they'll show up on Monday, I hope. Now that I'm on two out I'll have to establish some sort of a pattern so I'll have at least one disc for the weekend.

Last edited by Aliens; 02-27-2015 at 01:52 PM.
post #9045 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
I don't recall the last time I received one of those. .
Come to think of it, neither do I.

Quote:
I had one disc out-at-a-time until yesterday. With the slower turnaround time, receiving one disc a week just wasn't cutting it anymore. The 24/7 conspiracy theorists are probably all over this.

Here is an article discussing the slowdown.
It seems Netflix isn't even aware of the issue since my delivery dates are still showing next day delivery. BTW, if that avatar is a picture of you, how about a date!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9046 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
BTW, if that avatar is a picture of you, how about a date!

Ian
Sorry, I'm taken.

Spoiler!

post #9047 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I'm taken.

Spoiler!

You don't want him, ask his ex, he's a womanizer!

Ian

post #9048 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
You don't want him, ask his ex, he's a womanizer!

Ian
Shameless, Ian, simply shameless .. is Jersey that tough to find a woman in .. ?? I mean, does Snookie have any friends .. ?? Sorry, friend, you opened yourself up for it ...
cr671 likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #9049 of 9058 Old 02-27-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Shameless, Ian, simply shameless .. is Jersey that tough to find a woman in .. ?? I mean, does Snookie have any friends .. ?? Sorry, friend, you opened yourself up for it ...
Opened myself up for what? Being attracted to hot women? Like the saying goes, I may be married, but I'm not dead.

Ian

post #9050 of 9058 Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I brought up the topic of USPS Network Rationalization some time back .. to expect NF to somehow compensate, reward the subscriber by cutting rates or offer some sort of pie in the sky "help a brother out" plan is one of the most ludicrous ideas I've seen on AVS ..
Keep saying it enough and it might make it true--not. Again, this is not the only service impact that has come down the pike recently. You can pay whatever you want and be happy, I'll not do that and I've let Netflix know in the past.

Just as another specific example, I assume you have absolutely no problem with the Blu-ray surcharge continuing on indefinitely, even though since they've implemented that, Blu-ray and DVD pricing is much closer together, and they've started sending out audio-neutered or rental-only copies?

Matt
post #9051 of 9058 Old 03-02-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Keep saying it enough and it might make it true--not. Again, this is not the only service impact that has come down the pike recently. You can pay whatever you want and be happy, I'll not do that and I've let Netflix know in the past.

Just as another specific example, I assume you have absolutely no problem with the Blu-ray surcharge continuing on indefinitely, even though since they've implemented that, Blu-ray and DVD pricing is much closer together, and they've started sending out audio-neutered or rental-only copies?
My point was NF does not care if we cancel disk subscriptions .. in fact, it's what Hastings wants ..

Uncle Willie

post #9052 of 9058 Old 03-03-2015, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 20
My discs are back to 1 day to return to Netflix and receiving from Netflix to the Santa Ana, CA 92799 DC. The discs are being returned from Monterey Park, CA 91754 and being sent to the same zip as well. I do notice my returned discs are being checked in around 2AM and Netflix is sending me new discs at around 5AM. This is according to the time stamp on the email they send.
post #9053 of 9058 Old 03-03-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I prefer Hastings BD over Netflix. Unless it's a movie I'm not all that thrilled to watch anyways, I go through Hastings. Why spend all that money on a great HT only to rent sub par BluRay movies. Plus I enjoy watching all the "extras" and Netflix BD don't provide those. (Not to mention inferior sound quality) No comparison IMO.

S5 tap'n
post #9054 of 9058 Old 03-03-2015, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr671 View Post
I prefer Hastings BD over Netflix. Unless it's a movie I'm not all that thrilled to watch anyways, I go through Hastings. Why spend all that money on a great HT only to rent sub par BluRay movies. Plus I enjoy watching all the "extras" and Netflix BD don't provide those. (Not to mention inferior sound quality) No comparison IMO.

S5 tap'n
How much are you paying for Hastings? I get my discs every week from Netflix in a day or two at the latest. The only discs that have lossy audio are certain Lions Gate titles, which are few and far between. IMO, at about a buck fifty a rental, it's still the best BD deal in town.

Ian

post #9055 of 9058 Old 03-03-2015, 04:27 PM

It varies but as long as I rent 3-4 at a time and get two of them back within 24 hrs I ended up getting my next rental free. Plus I can keep them for 5 days for no extra charge if I want.
Overall its an extra couple of bucks, but the price (with the free rentals) averages out over time.
The improved sound quality and extras make it worth the price imo.
Granted I still rent from Netflix, but it's usually from the kiosk and with movies I wouldn't care for otherwise.
They're (NF) definitely the best price around, but for most action or SciFi movies, I stick with Hastings.

S5 tap'n

Last edited by cr671; 03-03-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #9056 of 9058 Old Today, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:

I don't remember that with Netflix. But it could have been back when I had to pay for each individual rental. Before they had the all you can rent subscriptions. Netflix had to force me off the pay per disc rental plan back in 1999.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9057 of 9058 Old Today, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

What's this Hastings BD thing? I haven't heard of it. Is it gohastings.com? Looks like a disc purchase place, rather than rental?

post #9058 of 9058 Unread Today, 07:30 PM

Yeah, they are basically like Blockbuster on steroids. Videos (for sale & rent, new & used) books, video games & consoles (for sale & rent) music, limited electronics and coffee.

S5 tap'n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software