Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 302 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
post #9031 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
So you're saying NF should pay for the problems at USPS .. ?? Perhaps Hastings should just pony up and buy a drone fleet ..
No that is not what I said. Read it again if you missed an edit. Its one of a boatload of junk that's come down the pike, some in Netflix' control and some not. Neutered audio, rental only versions, refusal to buy many catalog editions of Blu-rays, ignoring the existence of 3D Blu-ray, etc.

And besides that, who has determined it is definitely a problem at USPS and not Netflix getting a better rate for less service?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9032 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
No that is not what I said. Read it again if you missed an edit. Its one of a boatload of junk that's come down the pike, some in Netflix' control and some not. Neutered audio, rental only versions, refusal to buy many catalog editions of Blu-rays, ignoring the existence of 3D Blu-ray, etc.

And besides that, who has determined it is definitely a problem at USPS and not Netflix getting a better rate for less service?

If you've followed the thread, you know the finger points directly at USPS .. and I'm pretty sure your position on NF "helping a poor user out" is clear .. :

"That's fine, then Netflix needs to realize this (not just this but all the reductions in service) and the realities that physical users are the red-headed stepchildren and throw us a bone. Drop the Blu-ray surcharge, lower the monthly fee, something."

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9033 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Neutered audio, rental only versions, refusal to buy many catalog editions of Blu-rays, ignoring the existence of 3D Blu-ray, etc.
The solution to every one of these complaints:
http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/

Whatever they don't have in stock, you only have to request it and they will add it to their inventory (provided it's region A or all). The only catch is that it costs more (~$35/mo for 3 at a time, max 15 rentals per month) and depending on your location the disks are most likely not going to get to you as quickly as they do from Netflix.

Pick either one (or both) but don't expect filet mignon at ground chuck prices.
post #9034 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
Pick either one (or both) but don't expect filet mignon at ground chuck prices.
I know. That's not the point. I don't really need to hear about the alternatives every time I criticize Netflix, but thanks anyway.

Matt
post #9035 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
In reading about the Netflix slowdown at various sites it amazes me how many people are blaming Netflix for the problems when it has clearly been USPS actions that have created the problem. When I first joined Netflix many years ago, they would ship the next disc as soon as you went online and tagged the disc as mailed. I don't remember the exact terms, but I seem to remember having effectively 6 or 7 discs out at one time, either in hand or en route. Of course that was before they had distribution centers everywhere.

There is no question that the USPS decision to slow down all first class mail delivery makes the Netflix deal less attractive. The number of movies I rent a month will drop by almost half with the cost staying the same. I guess Netflix could go back to allowing the customer to flag a disc as mailed, and just send the new one based on the customer's word. I wonder how often they got burned when they did it that way.
post #9036 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
The solution to every one of these complaints:
http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/
I don't see how 3d-blurayrental.com solves the problem of USPS service standard changes.
post #9037 of 9038 Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
In reading about the Netflix slowdown at various sites it amazes me how many people are blaming Netflix for the problems when it has clearly been USPS actions that have created the problem. When I first joined Netflix many years ago, they would ship the next disc as soon as you went online and tagged the disc as mailed. I don't remember the exact terms, but I seem to remember having effectively 6 or 7 discs out at one time, either in hand or en route. Of course that was before they had distribution centers everywhere.

There is no question that the USPS decision to slow down all first class mail delivery makes the Netflix deal less attractive. The number of movies I rent a month will drop by almost half with the cost staying the same. I guess Netflix could go back to allowing the customer to flag a disc as mailed, and just send the new one based on the customer's word. I wonder how often they got burned when they did it that way.
My contract is with Netflix, not USPS. If USPS changed their sort deadline, NF needs to speed up when they deliver to USPS to keep the discs moving, or drop the price I'm paying, if they want to keep me happy. It sounds like in some locations this is happening, others (like mine), not so much and it takes two days to get the discs to me. So, from where I stand, the value proposition for my subscription just dropped by about a third, with no effort by NF to fix things. To make it worse, I'm suddenly getting a lot of buffering on NF streaming (my internet connection is fine; the problem is on NF's end).

In March I'm going to try the 3Dbluray rental place and see how reliable their disc service is.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9038 of 9038 Unread Today, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Guess we won't be seeing anymore "when did you mail this disc back" emails.
I don't recall the last time I received one of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
There is no question that the USPS decision to slow down all first class mail delivery makes the Netflix deal less attractive. The number of movies I rent a month will drop by almost half with the cost staying the same.
I had one disc out-at-a-time until yesterday. With the slower turnaround time, receiving one disc a week just wasn't cutting it anymore. The 24/7 conspiracy theorists are probably all over this.

Here is an article discussing the slowdown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page