Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 305 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes
post #9121 of 9135 Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
It is my belief that once NF transitions their business far enough away from discs, killing the disc service, that the "all you can stream" model will quickly vanish and be replaced by pay per view only. That's what the studios want...

I don't think NF can keep up the low price all you can stream model forever.

Yes .. I think another problem is the timeframe it takes as well as the money, in order to secure the rights to stream anything other that documentaries / TV Shows and lower budget films .. by the time a real hit gets to NF streaming, most that want to see it, have seen it ..

And the bidding to secure a hit, such as Hulu's acquisition of "Empire" exclusively just drives pricing up generally .. NF wants to see itself as HBO .. original programing it can license and a selection of streaming material ..

However, if somehow NF could, let's say, begin to offer a film like "Mockingjay" or "Gone Girl" at or near disk release, for, let's say a dollar or two per 24-48 hour view, the option of PPV on an individual title would be a game changer .. NF has the customer base, they have your CC on file, I don't see why offering PPV on individual films in addition to the monthly "All you can eat" plan might not actually work .. I've always thought that what's holding back single title, new release PPV is cost .. get it down low enough, people will use it ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9135 Old 03-21-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yes .. I think another problem is the timeframe it takes as well as the money, in order to secure the rights to stream anything other that documentaries / TV Shows and lower budget films .. by the time a real hit gets to NF streaming, most that want to see it, have seen it ..

And the bidding to secure a hit, such as Hulu's acquisition of "Empire" exclusively just drives pricing up generally .. NF wants to see itself as HBO .. original programing it can license and a selection of streaming material ..

However, if somehow NF could, let's say, begin to offer a film like "Mockingjay" or "Gone Girl" at or near disk release, for, let's say a dollar or two per 24-48 hour view, the option of PPV on an individual title would be a game changer .. NF has the customer base, they have your CC on file, I don't see why offering PPV on individual films in addition to the monthly "All you can eat" plan might not actually work .. I've always thought that what's holding back single title, new release PPV is cost .. get it down low enough, people will use it ..
Not to take away from your point, but was Hulu's acquisition of "Empire" actually a bid process? Given that the show is a 20th Century Fox production and FOX owns about 30% of Hulu I'd say that Hulu was the "most favored nation" anyway. I'm not sure how Hulu acquires its content, though it seems that a huge majority of it is due to its connections with the individual networks.
post #9123 of 9135 Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Not to take away from your point, but was Hulu's acquisition of "Empire" actually a bid process? Given that the show is a 20th Century Fox production and FOX owns about 30% of Hulu I'd say that Hulu was the "most favored nation" anyway. I'm not sure how Hulu acquires its content, though it seems that a huge majority of it is due to its connections with the individual networks.
Yeah, you make a good point .. I did assume it was a bidding process .. based on the popularity of "Empire" the streaming rights may be considered more valuable as a part of Hulu's lineup than actually offering it on the market ..

On a side note, and not to go way off topic, I've watched a couple episodes of "Empire" and I guess I can see the draw, but I don't get the mega hit it became .. I suppose over the top Prime Time soap is the new Black ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9124 of 9135 Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:

The content providers control everything. They are not going to let a new relase be sold for a rental price of $1 or $2 at disc release. But they are the ones that will decide if it ever does happen. Not Netflix or any other streaming service.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9125 of 9135 Old 03-21-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Yeah, you make a good point .. I did assume it was a bidding process .. based on the popularity of "Empire" the streaming rights may be considered more valuable as a part of Hulu's lineup than actually offering it on the market ..

On a side note, and not to go way off topic, I've watched a couple episodes of "Empire" and I guess I can see the draw, but I don't get the mega hit it became .. I suppose over the top Prime Time soap is the new Black ..
I haven't seen any of it, and don't plan to, but your assessment of it seems spot on and jives with my feelings on it. Check out ABC, other than a show or two it's basically Soap TV 2.0.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #9126 of 9135 Old 03-21-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The content providers control everything. They are not going to let a new relase be sold for a rental price of $1 or $2 at disc release. But they are the ones that will decide if it ever does happen. Not Netflix or any other streaming service.
If a disk can be rented for $1.50 - $2.00 from RB, and the cost of disk is eliminated, the studios could easily make as much or more money on a cheap PPV stream ..

All I'm saying is in theory, a new release PPV stream thru NF priced at the $1.00 - $2.00 range for a 24-48 hour watch window would sell .. I know the content owners control any scenario ..

Uncle Willie

post #9127 of 9135 Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I haven't seen any of it, and don't plan to, but your assessment of it seems spot on and jives with my feelings on it. Check out ABC, other than a show or two it's basically Soap TV 2.0.

Even PBS...Downton Abbey is just a soap, too
post #9128 of 9135 Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Downton is much better than any soap I've ever seen.
Just sayin....

S5 tap'n
post #9129 of 9135 Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
No, 2 separate movies. The Judge and Whiplash. Whiplash had been in a wait state since it was released. Work blocks access to the site, so maybe it says something there.
This is bizarre, they shipped me another 2 movies this morning. One was returned. I have one at home, 2 waiting to be picked up. That makes 5 movies and my plan is 3 at a time.

Is Netflix shipping bonus movies to anyone else?
post #9130 of 9135 Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
This is bizarre, they shipped me another 2 movies this morning. One was returned. I have one at home, 2 waiting to be picked up. That makes 5 movies and my plan is 3 at a time.

Yes, that started in 2009. I get a few every year.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #9131 of 9135 Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes, that started in 2009. I get a few every year.

-Bill
This is different than that, it's not a wait movie and it's not shipping from a remote location. It doesn't show up as a plus in my shipments.

I think it's a bug in their new post office arrival detections. This started on Friday.

Either that or they really like me.
post #9132 of 9135 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by met_fan View Post
Even PBS...Downton Abbey is just a soap, too
The correct phrase is melodrama which has become rather popular in prime time these days. Empire's success is probably due to the music and the talent that delivers it.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9133 of 9135 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes. I've had one or two extra discs each week recently. But I have also been renting some titles that they don't have a lot of copies of. So they are being sent to me from other distribution centers. And when that happens they send an extra disc since it takes several days longer for the titles to reach me.

LED DLP
post #9134 of 9135 Unread Today, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

This is different, they are shipping everything in my queue locally. I sent back 2 yesterday and they say they are shipping 2 more today...

This started on Friday March 20th. Tomorrow I will have 5 discs at home on my 3 at a time plan. I think this is great if they keep doing that, but I don't want it to suddenly stop when I have a new disc that I'm trying to get.
post #9135 of 9135 Unread Today, 06:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
This is different, they are shipping everything in my queue locally. I sent back 2 yesterday and they say they are shipping 2 more today...

This started on Friday March 20th. Tomorrow I will have 5 discs at home on my 3 at a time plan. I think this is great if they keep doing that, but I don't want it to suddenly stop when I have a new disc that I'm trying to get.
I've had five or six discs at home for the last three shipments on my four four out plan. But mine was definitely because they shipped me discs from across the country since it took several days to arrive.

LED DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page