Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 308 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 34Likes
post #9211 of 9228 Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Good info, but my point still stands then. If they make all these concessions and still don't have a way to dynamically meet demand they're doing it wrong. Maybe the price is right for them, but there is obviously room for improvement on the service side, as usual with NF.

I am in total agreement with you .. all I'm offering is a glimpse at how the Machine works .. and I'll add that selectively re-stocking disks that demand out strips stock also involves a turn-a-round time in order to actually get the disks .. and all orders require a minimum quantity to get pricing ..

I'm not defending NF in any way shape or form, but I don't think Hastings is going to change the method, especially as they move bit by bit to an all-streaming model ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9212 of 9228 Old 05-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Interesting. I wonder how many of those DVD sales were those sold bundled with Blu-Ray disks?

If this is the source, http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mar...k-ended-051615 it doesn't say.
Cheers,
post #9213 of 9228 Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Interesting. I wonder how many of those DVD sales were those sold bundled with Blu-Ray disks?
I don't know that if putting that fine a point on the numbers would change things dramatically, percentage wise .. from what I know, most disks are still bought either as DVD or BD .. the combo pack DVD is really just a value added marketing tool directed towards those that buy the BD anyway ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9214 of 9228 Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
I'm not having any issues with disc turnaround, as far as mailing them in and receiving them, but getting popular new releases has basically come to a halt. I've had a number of them at the top of my queue for at least a month or more listed as "Short Wait", including "Interstellar", but I don't consider having to wait a month or more a "Short Wait".

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
I am in the exact same boat. "Interstellar" has been on "short wait" at the very top of my queue for at least a month. I am in the middle of doing some work on my home theater or I would probably go to Redbox to rent it.
post #9215 of 9228 Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM

I just put NF BD disk "Interstellar" in the mailbox at my curb.

A disk that was supposed to arrive today didn't, looks like my luck ran out on receiving NF disks.

Cheers,
post #9216 of 9228 Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
I don't know that if putting that fine a point on the numbers would change things dramatically, percentage wise .. from what I know, most disks are still bought either as DVD or BD .. the combo pack DVD is really just a value added marketing tool directed towards those that buy the BD anyway ..
I call it a negative value. I hate being forced to pay extra to have a DVD included with a BD. Something that I will never use or watch. And because of the added cost it has an effect of lowering the number of my overall BD purchases.

INterstellar was one of my more recent purchases that did include a DVD. AT least many of my 3D BD purchases only include a 3D BD and a 2D BD. I just wish I could get away from DVDs completely. I stopped watching DVDs back in 2005. Ten years ago yet they are still being forced on me.
skoolpsyk likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-29-2015 at 06:08 AM.
post #9217 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does it bother anyone else that the Netflix Blurays only come with dolby digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1????? How come they don't offer 7.1 on rentals?
post #9218 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
Does it bother anyone else that the Netflix Blurays only come with dolby digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1????? How come they don't offer 7.1 on rentals?
They do. The vast majority of BD rentals have the same Advanced audio codecs that are on the retail discs. Only a very small amount of rentals have the legacy audio on them instead. A very small number. Like from Lionsgate.

LED DLP
post #9219 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They do. The vast majority of BD rentals have the same Advanced audio codecs that are on the retail discs. Only a very small amount of rentals have the legacy audio on them instead. A very small number. Like from Lionsgate.
I disagree...I just looked at the top 10 movies in my queue and they are all 5.1, not 7.2
post #9220 of 9228 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
I disagree...I just looked at the top 10 movies in my queue and they are all 5.1, not 7.2
Most retail BD titles are in 5.1, not 7.1. So I would expect most movies in your queue to also be in 5.1

There aren't even six hundred BD titles available with 7.1 audio. Yet there are over 12K BD releases.

So less than 5% of BD releases have 7.1 audio.

Besides, the studio that does put out rental discs with 5.1, lower quality audio is Lionsgate. And it isn't all their titles they do this with. Only some of them.
mailiang likes this.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 12:16 PM.
post #9221 of 9228 Unread Yesterday, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I just put NF BD disk "Interstellar" in the mailbox at my curb.

A disk that was supposed to arrive today didn't, looks like my luck ran out on receiving NF disks.

Cheers,
"Interstellar" finely got back to NF. My delivery problems are obviously back...the two day turn around days are over again.

Who's going to get Interstellar next?

Cheers,
post #9222 of 9228 Unread Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Most retail BD titles are in 5.1, not 7.1. So I would expect most movies in your queue to also be in 5.1

There aren't even six hundred BD titles available with 7.1 audio. Yet there are over 12K BD releases.

So less than 5% of BD releases have 7.1 audio.

Besides, the studio that does put out rental discs with 5.1, lower quality audio is Lionsgate. And it isn't all their titles they do this with. Only some of them.

Since I run a dts neo-x 11.2 system, I really enjoy the lossless audio that LG will sometimes rent the lossy version, so any movies that I intend on renting I check to see if they are from LG, if so, I order them from 3D Bluray Rental which so far has had the lossless audio on the LG releases. Does cost a little more but the improvement I hear in my system of lossless vs lossy is worth it.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for NF to start renting the 4K BR once they are released.
post #9223 of 9228 Unread Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Since I run a dts neo-x 11.2 system, I really enjoy the lossless audio that LG will sometimes rent the lossy version, so any movies that I intend on renting I check to see if they are from LG, if so, I order them from 3D Bluray Rental which so far has had the lossless audio on the LG releases. Does cost a little more but the improvement I hear in my system of lossless vs lossy is worth it.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for NF to start renting the 4K BR once they are released.
I would be surprised if they are in any rush to add UHD BD titles. And if they do I would expect them to charge more. Although I fully expect the UHD BD format to be mostly DOA. But you never really know. The current 1080P BD format is already in decline. At least revenue wise it is declining now. 2014 was the first year that BD revenue declined. Streaming is taking a bigger slice every year from BD and DVD sales.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 07:13 PM.
post #9224 of 9228 Unread Yesterday, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Salem, Oregon, United States, Earth, Solar System, Orian Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Laniakea, Universe
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
"Interstellar" finely got back to NF. ...

Who's going to get Interstellar next?
I'm sorry for the delay in returning "Interstellar". It arrived on May 5, but it wasn't until Monday night, May 11 that I watched it, and returned it on May 12. I hadn't realized that so many people had been waiting for me to return the Blu-ray disc.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #9225 of 9228 Unread Today, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would be surprised if they are in any rush to add UHD BD titles. And if they do I would expect them to charge more. Although I fully expect the UHD BD format to be mostly DOA. But you never really know. The current 1080P BD format is already in decline. At least revenue wise it is declining now. 2014 was the first year that BD revenue declined. Streaming is taking a bigger slice every year from BD and DVD sales.

Yes .. UHD is just another attempt at recapturing the glory days of DVD and flat panel .. the CE companies and the studios are grasping for a cash cow, and the odds are against them .. same as 3-D .. the consumer has essentially said streaming is good enough, and DVD still outsells BD ..

No, I'm not a UHD hater, it has features that are desirable to the video aficionado .. I just don't believe it's going to explode the market in any meaningful way .. at least not in the sense of landfills brimming with 1080p sets like what happened with CRT .. UHD BD .. ?? Has the standard even been set yet .. ??

Uncle Willie

post #9226 of 9228 Unread Today, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Yes .. UHD is just another attempt at recapturing the glory days of DVD and flat panel .. the CE companies and the studios are grasping for a cash cow, and the odds are against them .. same as 3-D .. the consumer has essentially said streaming is good enough, and DVD still outsells BD ..

No, I'm not a UHD hater, it has features that are desirable to the video aficionado .. I just don't believe it's going to explode the market in any meaningful way .. at least not in the sense of landfills brimming with 1080p sets like what happened with CRT .. UHD BD .. ?? Has the standard even been set yet .. ??

4K/UHD is an amazing upgrade if you get a decent TV. I have the samsung 9500 series with nano crystals and its without a doubt the best TV i've ever seen, on par with OLED. Some people obviously won't care about it, and those are the people that tend to be fine with watching a SD channel stretched out on a wide screen TV over coax even though their cable box has HDMI and they have HD channels.

And yes the standard has been finalized I want UHD physical discs more than streaming as there will be extra compression with streaming unfortunately even with the improvements the H.265 codecs bring it won't be as good as a disc.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...bridge-sharing

Blu-Ray - 1229
HD DVD - 57
SD DVD - 1159
I Do Blu.
NEXTEL. Done.|
post #9227 of 9228 Unread Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codee View Post
4K/UHD is an amazing upgrade if you get a decent TV. I have the samsung 9500 series with nano crystals and its without a doubt the best TV i've ever seen, on par with OLED. Some people obviously won't care about it, and those are the people that tend to be fine with watching a SD channel stretched out on a wide screen TV over coax even though their cable box has HDMI and they have HD channels.

And yes the standard has been finalized I want UHD physical discs more than streaming as there will be extra compression with streaming unfortunately even with the improvements the H.265 codecs bring it won't be as good as a disc.

Like I said, I'm not a UHD hater .. I've been in this hobby since the 1970's .. I just don't think it's going to be the salvation that the CE folks want .. which is also waht they wanted with 3-D ... and I got sick and tired of replacing my movie collection with the latest and greatest format a long, long time ago ..

It's not some people, it's most people .. now, if your 1080p set goes out, and all there is at that point to replace it is UHD, a set gets sold .. the disk market is going to be a very very hard sell for the bulk of the population ..

Uncle Willie

post #9228 of 9228 Unread Today, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by codee View Post
4K/UHD is an amazing upgrade if you get a decent TV. I have the samsung 9500 series with nano crystals and its without a doubt the best TV i've ever seen, on par with OLED.
Personally, I've yet to see any LCD/UHD set that can compete with an OLED. IMO, emissive displays still offer the best over all picture quality. I do agree that higher end UHD TV's offer improved contrast and black levels, less blooming issues, and other anomalies that plaque most of their 1080p LCD counterparts, but that's mostly due to their top notch panels and video processing. Due to eye perception limitations, the higher resolution format has very little impact on PQ, unless displayed very close or on a very large screen.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Today at 08:23 AM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page