Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 308 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
Good info, but my point still stands then. If they make all these concessions and still don't have a way to dynamically meet demand they're doing it wrong. Maybe the price is right for them, but there is obviously room for improvement on the service side, as usual with NF.

I am in total agreement with you .. all I'm offering is a glimpse at how the Machine works .. and I'll add that selectively re-stocking disks that demand out strips stock also involves a turn-a-round time in order to actually get the disks .. and all orders require a minimum quantity to get pricing ..

I'm not defending NF in any way shape or form, but I don't think Hastings is going to change the method, especially as they move bit by bit to an all-streaming model ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Interesting. I wonder how many of those DVD sales were those sold bundled with Blu-Ray disks?

If this is the source, http://www.homemediamagazine.com/mar...k-ended-051615 it doesn't say.
Cheers,
Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
Interesting. I wonder how many of those DVD sales were those sold bundled with Blu-Ray disks?
I don't know that if putting that fine a point on the numbers would change things dramatically, percentage wise .. from what I know, most disks are still bought either as DVD or BD .. the combo pack DVD is really just a value added marketing tool directed towards those that buy the BD anyway ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
I'm not having any issues with disc turnaround, as far as mailing them in and receiving them, but getting popular new releases has basically come to a halt. I've had a number of them at the top of my queue for at least a month or more listed as "Short Wait", including "Interstellar", but I don't consider having to wait a month or more a "Short Wait".

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?
I am in the exact same boat. "Interstellar" has been on "short wait" at the very top of my queue for at least a month. I am in the middle of doing some work on my home theater or I would probably go to Redbox to rent it.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM

I just put NF BD disk "Interstellar" in the mailbox at my curb.

A disk that was supposed to arrive today didn't, looks like my luck ran out on receiving NF disks.

Cheers,
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I don't know that if putting that fine a point on the numbers would change things dramatically, percentage wise .. from what I know, most disks are still bought either as DVD or BD .. the combo pack DVD is really just a value added marketing tool directed towards those that buy the BD anyway ..
I call it a negative value. I hate being forced to pay extra to have a DVD included with a BD. Something that I will never use or watch. And because of the added cost it has an effect of lowering the number of my overall BD purchases.

INterstellar was one of my more recent purchases that did include a DVD. AT least many of my 3D BD purchases only include a 3D BD and a 2D BD. I just wish I could get away from DVDs completely. I stopped watching DVDs back in 2005. Ten years ago yet they are still being forced on me.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-29-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old Today, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does it bother anyone else that the Netflix Blurays only come with dolby digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1????? How come they don't offer 7.1 on rentals?
Old Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
Does it bother anyone else that the Netflix Blurays only come with dolby digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1????? How come they don't offer 7.1 on rentals?
They do. The vast majority of BD rentals have the same Advanced audio codecs that are on the retail discs. Only a very small amount of rentals have the legacy audio on them instead. A very small number. Like from Lionsgate.

LED DLP
Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They do. The vast majority of BD rentals have the same Advanced audio codecs that are on the retail discs. Only a very small amount of rentals have the legacy audio on them instead. A very small number. Like from Lionsgate.
I disagree...I just looked at the top 10 movies in my queue and they are all 5.1, not 7.2
Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
I disagree...I just looked at the top 10 movies in my queue and they are all 5.1, not 7.2
Most retail BD titles are in 5.1, not 7.1. So I would expect most movies in your queue to also be in 5.1

There aren't even six hundred BD titles available with 7.1 audio. Yet there are over 12K BD releases.

So less than 5% of BD releases have 7.1 audio.

Besides, the studio that does put out rental discs with 5.1, lower quality audio is Lionsgate. And it isn't all their titles they do this with. Only some of them.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 12:16 PM.
Old Today, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I just put NF BD disk "Interstellar" in the mailbox at my curb.

A disk that was supposed to arrive today didn't, looks like my luck ran out on receiving NF disks.

Cheers,
"Interstellar" finely got back to NF. My delivery problems are obviously back...the two day turn around days are over again.

Who's going to get Interstellar next?

Cheers,