post #901 of 8947 Old 05-31-2008, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

Certainly the option can be programed in to their distribution system but at what cost?

The only cost to them would be a small percentage of their user base would change from the default option (this is key, as a large % of their user base would likely never even be aware of this option) and get a small percentage of their movies faster. The resulting cost would be the 1-2 discs per month that these users are able to rent as a result. It would easily be offset by the lack of subscribers leaving to Blockbuster.

Quote:

Netflix is no different than any other company with employees that want to get paid for their work, corporate excs that want to see a profit and shareholders that want a return on investment.

I'm all for them coming out with a Platinum Plan that guarantees you same day turn around on any title in you queue, new releases on release day, no cracked BD's, titles from the hub of my choice, and instant viewing in HD.

I'm not asking for all of that, so I'm not sure why it's relevant. Maybe you're original post was more directed towards those who are complaining about every single problem they have with Netflix...including unplayable discs, etc. I'm only concerned with the option to have movies shipped with a local hub priority vs a queue priority. It would be easy to implement and I doubt it would be cost-prohibitive. And I don't see any argument for it being anything other than a win-win proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

Really? In what way?

In that this is not just mindless whining for the sake of whining. This is a realistic option that would make the end-user's experience much more convenient while not being cost-prohibitive to the company. Suggesting that something as simple as this shouldn't be expected because people only pay $15-20 a month doesn't seem reasonable.

Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 8947 Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I put a movie in the top position in my queue earlier this morning that was just released today and netflix is sending it to me since I mailed one back yesterday! Sure looks like they are getting more copies. It didn't take long for them to acknowledge my return and act on that request as the status is showing as shipping today. Way to go!
post #903 of 8947 Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 AM

From my region (Texas) I had serious HD DVD disk availability issues from Netflix and when I did receive them they looked as though they were used to sand wood. So many playback issues. When Toshiba bailed out this year, I bought a PS3 and have been enjoying BD since.

Netflix preformance getting BD disks off my queue has been reasonable. Whenever I see they have skipped over a BD title that is stated as "Now" I give them a call, and in most cases they can send out that disk in addition to the # out plan I have with them. Very reasonable service -- but you need to call them.

A customer service rep recently told me that Netflix sets their new release distribution allocations each Monday. So to improve a members chances of receiving "new releases" is to have a returned disk(s) to them each Monday morning.
post #904 of 8947 Old 06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

In six weeks I got over 10 cracked blurays... I'm crossing my fingers that this is finally put to bed.

No such luck. My next movie, Jumper, came cracked, so I called Netflix again. This time the operator was a bitch. She told me they can't do anything unless I call the USPS and "put a watch on my mail". So, next day I called the USPS and they informed me:

1. USPS cannot put a watch on my mail, because there is no such thing.
2. USPS cannot sort rental movies differently than any other mail unless the shipper pays extra.
3. Suggest the shipper re-design the packaging.
4. Suggest the shipper use FedEx!

As of tonight, Jumper has arrived cracked three times. When this (freebie) month is done, I am cancelling Netflix... Unless they kick down a six month membership...
post #905 of 8947 Old 06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

No such luck. My next movie, Jumper, came cracked, so I called Netflix again. This time the operator was a bitch. She told me they can't do anything unless I call the USPS and "put a watch on my mail". So, next day I called the USPS and they informed me:

2. USPS cannot sort rental movies differently than any other mail unless the shipper pays extra.

As of tonight, Jumper has arrived cracked three times. When this (freebie) month is done, I am cancelling Netflix... Unless they kick down a six month membership...

I've been with Netflix since April of 2000. In the literally hundreds of disc that I have rented, I believe I have only received 3 that were actually broken. I've probably received another 6 or 7 that were badly scratched to the point that they would not play.

Not bad for eight years.
post #906 of 8947 Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:

I live in Sacramento area as well so we are using the same distributing center, and I only had 1 bad BD since late 2006. Looks to me your local post office is the problem, you may want to talk to the guy who delivers the mail (not those taking calls in the PO) to see what's going on.

And I mailed back my Jumper BD yesterday, which is just a soso movie.
post #907 of 8947 Old 06-18-2008, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

It sounds like the problem is with your local mail carrier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was he/she that was deliberately breaking the discs.

BTW, if you're getting Netflix for a free trial, and you're not satisfied with the service, why would you want another six months? Even free?

I've been using Netflix now for over a year. And I'm quite happy with the service. Have I had a couple of cracked discs? Yes. But I simply note it online, and they immediately send out another. I don't know how you can ask for more than that. Especially for a a flat rate per month.

post #908 of 8947 Old 06-18-2008, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

No cracked discs and perhaps maybe I had one or two freeze up but I cannot even remember which at this point.

Second time in two weeks I put a new release for Tuesday in my queue that day and it was available and shipped to me later that afternoon! Things are looking up with the number of copies they have obviously compared to a few months ago when I always ended up waiting even though asking for it days in advance of the Tuesday release.
post #909 of 8947 Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It sounds like the problem is with your local mail carrier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was he/she that was deliberately breaking the discs.

Wow, So now I've got a serial bluray hater for a carrier!? That sucks.

Quote:

BTW, if you're getting Netflix for a free trial, and you're not satisfied with the service, why would you want another six months? Even free?

BTW it's not a free trial, it's a retention bribe so I don't cancel membership.

Quote:

...I don't know how you can ask for more than that. Especially for a a flat rate per month.

All I ask is that I get some movies that I can watch. In stead of being able to see like 6 movies in a month, I now only get to see like 2 or 3 because of this. Would you feel satisfied with that?
post #910 of 8947 Old 06-18-2008, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^^^

Something is quite peculiar with your case with continually getting unplayable discs. Drop your membership is all I can say but I'd be curious to know if this is also happening to others in your area.
post #911 of 8947 Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Something is quite peculiar. If I send back my movies using the mailbox a block away from my job in NYC, Netflix receives the movies back in their NJ processing center the next morning (usually before I can make changes to my que). I forget the city where the processing center is though.

However when I send the movies back using the mailbox a few blocks away from my house in Jersey City, it takes two days for them to receive the movie.

I'm curious as to why it takes longer for them to receive my movies when their processing center is located in NJ and the Post Office is in Jersey City? Is NYC mail faster than Jersey mail?
post #912 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

^^^^^^^

Something is quite peculiar with your case with continually getting unplayable discs. Drop your membership is all I can say but I'd be curious to know if this is also happening to others in your area.

Quite peculiar. I think users should be required to attach photos to substantiate their claims. This might help to keep us from going off on a tangent.
post #913 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post

Quite peculiar. I think users should be required to attach photos to substantiate their claims. This might help to keep us from going off on a tangent.

Perhaps polygraph test results verified by a session or two of waterboarding?

Seriously, I've rented both HD DVD and Blu Ray from both Netflix and BB and have never gotten an unplayable disc.

Wish I could say the same for regular DVDs rented from my local video store. Some of them need the food washed off before I'd even consider putting them in the player.
post #914 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
http://www.netflix.com/Help?p_faqid=...Jla2I78_SB*EY-

If you haven't heard, on Sept 1, 2008, Netflix is eliminating profiles! That means for your account, no separate lists for family members!

I think this is outrageous and actually a dealbreaker (As opposed to extra charge to be BD enabled, which I guess I can understand). My wife and I need our seperate lists without being hosed into have two accounts.

Can anyone recommend another DVD By Mail service that has

1.) a large collection of Blu-Rays

2.) a large collection of DVD's like netflix, including a good foreign/anime/etc selection.

3.) One that has profiles and doesn't plan to dump it anytime soon

Thanks!
post #915 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john stephens View Post
May be a tangent for you, it's a real life problem for me. Two months ago when I switched to Bluray the cracked discs started coming. Twelve discs out of twentyfive total were cracked and unplayable. My math says that's 50%.

This is not a new problem. I am not alone.
http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked...-disc-problem/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=10368368

NetflixHistory.zip 88.771484375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip NetflixHistory.zip (88.8 KB, 3 views)
post #916 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

May be a tangent for you, it's a real life problem for me. Two months ago when I switched to Bluray the cracked discs started coming. Twelve discs out of twentyfive total were cracked and unplayable. My math says that's 50%.

This is not a new problem. I am not alone.
http://marsbox.com/blog/news/cracked...-disc-problem/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/searc...rchid=10368368

I'm 90% BD on my Netflix account. And I have had NO BD's broken. I have had a couple of DVD's that were cracked, and one HD-DVD. So I still think the blame is your local postal service. Or maybe even a disgruntled postal worker or two. After all, those red envelopes are easily identified, and an easy target for malicious behavior.

Of course, it could also be the equipment at the post office. Maybe one particular sorting machine is especially rough with the items that go through it.

post #917 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Seriously, I've rented both HD DVD and Blu Ray from both Netflix and BB and have never gotten an unplayable disc.

I believe in my 1.5 years of renting with netflix I've gotten 0 unplayable BDs and 1 that had significant scratching that made some of the parts unwatchable (I couldn't watch the last 5 minutes of Assassination of Jesse James).

Over that same period I've had 2 unplayable DVDs and a couple with significant scratching. I've rented more BDs than DVDs, by the way.

Trying to act like 50% is a representative figure is pure bull.

Brandon
post #918 of 8947 Old 06-19-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Trying to act like 50% is a representative figure is pure bull.

I've never purported that my problem is representative of everyone elses experience. I'm glad most people are getting what they paid for from Netflix, but I am not (getting what I paid for).
post #919 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone, or is the dvd by mail market that bad? Thanks.
post #920 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

hammerdwn,

Try Blockbuster if you are still interested in online rental for BDs if you haven't before. They allow in store returns at local stores if you want to go that route. I don't see you continuing your membership for Netflix if you want BDs.

Something in the chain of delivery is causing the problem as I truly do believe it is after it leaves Netflix.
post #921 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never purported that my problem is representative of everyone elses experience. I'm glad most people are getting what they paid for from Netflix, but I am not (getting what I paid for).

Have you tried dealing with their customer service? I would, as 50% odds of getting a playable disc is completely unreasonable. I would suggest taking it up with your local carrier as well, but I have no idea how to do that. I know that when I moved from the Elk Grove area to the Arden area of Sacramento my turnaround times seemed to slow down occasionally.

Brandon
post #922 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 11:14 AM

I just got an email from Netflix saying they're disabling the profiles feature, which lets you create sub-accounts and each account can have its own queue. This is an extremely useful feature, and I can't think of why in the world they would take it away.

The email says "While it may be disappointing to see Profiles go away, this change will help us continue to improve the Netflix website for all our customers." Blah blah blah. That's just a load of PR crap. What's the real reason here? Why would they take away such a useful feature??? Very disappointed

I called Netflix immediately after receiving the email to complain. I explained that in our household that we need this feature to ensure that we always have a "family" movie and a "parents" movie on hand. I told them if they eliminated multiple queues I would downgrade to a one at a time subscription.

The customer service rep said to file a complaint throught the contact us form since customer service had no control over this. Any ideas on how we can creat a groundswell to reverse this decision? Is there a Netflix user's forum?
post #923 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I still don't get this profile stuff.
Why would you want 2 queues? How does Netflix determine what movie to send out from which queue?
My suggestion would be to make your own profile at home (with Excel) and manage your online list more often.
To me, just send me the next available movie that is highest in my list please.
If I want a chick flick to be next, I'll bump it up in the queue.
post #924 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I still don't get this profile stuff.
Why would you want 2 queues? How does Netflix determine what movie to send out from which queue?
My suggestion would be to make your own profile at home (with Excel) and manage your online list more often.
To me, just send me the next available movie that is highest in my list please.
If I want a chick flick to be next, I'll bump it up in the queue.

Let's make this simple with my personal example.

My wife and I have one account we share together. We have two queues. Hers and mine. We have different tastes. Netflix allows us to assign how many DVD's we each get. We then make our own lists and get our movies. Normally we go three at a time, hers gets 2, I get one since I watch less stuff off Netflix than her. When either of us is out of town, we assign all DVD's to the queue of the person still at home.

That's why we are all outraged over this. Imagine the family of four in which all four family members have their own queues and now Netflix is going to remove them.

Make sense now? The outrage is that for each of us to keep our own list, we have to set up different accounts, and pay more for Netflix. Ridiculous!
post #925 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkopel View Post

I just got an email from Netflix saying they're disabling the profiles feature, which lets you create sub-accounts and each account can have its own queue. This is an extremely useful feature, and I can't think of why in the world they would take it away.

The email says "While it may be disappointing to see Profiles go away, this change will help us continue to improve the Netflix website for all our customers." Blah blah blah. That's just a load of PR crap. What's the real reason here? Why would they take away such a useful feature??? Very disappointed

I called Netflix immediately after receiving the email to complain. I explained that in our household that we need this feature to ensure that we always have a "family" movie and a "parents" movie on hand. I told them if they eliminated multiple queues I would downgrade to a one at a time subscription.

The customer service rep said to file a complaint throught the contact us form since customer service had no control over this. Any ideas on how we can creat a groundswell to reverse this decision? Is there a Netflix user's forum?

Maybe you missed this post of mine. I'm already looking for alternatives as I heard a Netflix rep say this decision is final:

Quote:

http://www.netflix.com/Help?p_faqid=...Jla2I78_SB*EY-

If you haven't heard, on Sept 1, 2008, Netflix is eliminating profiles! That means for your account, no separate lists for family members!

I think this is outrageous and actually a dealbreaker (As opposed to extra charge to be BD enabled, which I guess I can understand). My wife and I need our seperate lists without being hosed into have two accounts.

Can anyone recommend another DVD By Mail service that has

1.) a large collection of Blu-Rays

2.) a large collection of DVD's like netflix, including a good foreign/anime/etc selection.

3.) One that has profiles and doesn't plan to dump it anytime soon

Thanks!

post #926 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't use multiple queues. So that decision doesn't affect me. But I can see why it would be a huge advantage to accounts that have multiple users. Otherwise, each person would have to have their own account. Then again, maybe that's what Netflix is trying to force.

post #927 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not hard to manage one queue for multiple people... Just have each person be responsible for moving a new movie to the top of the list when they send one back. My girlfriend and I do this all the time, and we have totally different tastes in movies.

When I send a movie back, I then go make sure another one of my movies is at the top of the queue. If I send two back, I make sure two of my movies are at the top of the queue. When she sends movies back, she does the same. If we both send movies back and both perform this act, whoever does it last ends up at the top of the queue - but this doesn't matter as there is still the correct number of both my movies and her movies at the top of the queue, and all will be fine as soon as Netflix receives the mailed discs and sends new ones.

This simple act of updating the queue ensures that we always have equal numbers of DVDs either at home or on their way. Don't you have to update your queue after you send movies back anyway, to choose what you want next? Or have you organized the queue into some perfect list where you just get movie after movie without any input on your behalf?
post #928 of 8947 Old 06-20-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume this may be somewhat of an administrative nightmare for netflix and they are solely putting the responsibility on the account holder to maintain one queue. I'd be really surprised if it had been running smoothly with multiple queues.

I suppose one has no other choice if the convenience is lost but to have another account or cancel membership if they don't want to do the maintenance.
post #929 of 8947 Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

You have to love Netflix now that they have more Blu-ray copies! Here is my que for today! I got 5 of the 5 movies I wanted!

1. Rambo: First Blood Blu-Ray
Shipping today
2. Step Into Liquid Blu-Ray
Shipping today
3. The Spiderwick Chronicles Blu-Ray
Shipping today
4. 10,000 B.C. Blu-Ray
Shipping today
5. Transformers Animated DVD
Shipping today
post #930 of 8947 Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd View Post

You have to love Netflix now that they have more Blu-ray copies! Here is my que for today! I got 5 of the 5 movies I wanted!

What, are you crazy? Didn't you hear that they are doing away with multiple queues? So what you're getting movies when you want them. I'm sure all of them will be cracked and unplayable.

JohnG
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page