Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 310 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
post #9271 of 9286 Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
Has anyone rented this flick and were you able to get past the previews? It wasn't a movie I REALLY wanted to see, but it was in my queue. And yes, my firmware is up to date.
I saw it and had no issues. What exactly is happening that you can't "get past the previews"?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9286 Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
So, for those of us that want to get "July 7 releases" and would normally put discs in the mail this Saturday to have them received on Monday, when exactly should we mail? With Saturday July 4th being a federal holiday, I'm presuming I should put them in the mail Friday. My feeble brain can't remember far back enough for the last time the federal holiday was on a Saturday.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9273 of 9286 Old 06-29-2015, 06:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1756 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
So, for those of us that want to get "July 7 releases" and would normally put discs in the mail this Saturday to have them received on Monday, when exactly should we mail? With Saturday July 4th being a federal holiday, I'm presuming I should put them in the mail Friday. My feeble brain can't remember far back enough for the last time the federal holiday was on a Saturday.

Marc
Is mail being delivered on Friday? I know the federal workers here in DC have off on Friday.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9274 of 9286 Old 06-29-2015, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good thought. I just now looked up the USPS mail holiday list. Saturday is shown as a holiday but Friday is not.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9275 of 9286 Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
I saw it and had no issues. What exactly is happening that you can't "get past the previews"?
After the previews, the screen would go black and the counter on my BD player would stop... which would lead me to believe my BD player prob needs an update, but there wasn't one available... yet. The disc looked fine and I tried a variety of things to get around it, but to no avail. I haven't had any probs with other discs (yet), but if I do I will be raising some hell with my BD player manufacturer.
post #9276 of 9286 Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post
After the previews, the screen would go black and the counter on my BD player would stop... which would lead me to believe my BD player prob needs an update, but there wasn't one available... yet. The disc looked fine and I tried a variety of things to get around it, but to no avail. I haven't had any probs with other discs (yet), but if I do I will be raising some hell with my BD player manufacturer.
First thing I do is clean the player with the appropriate cleaning disc and clean the disc. Sometimes that will allow a disc to play when I didn't see any visible issues with the disc.

I recall one disc (I think it was On Any Sunday, 1971, but I wouldn't swear to it) that behaved like that: even after cleaning, it refused to play the main feature. I had to give my player a pin and then go into the V-Chip ratings and allow any rating to play. I thought it was really odd because there wasn't anything on the disc any more violent or foul language than many other discs I had played.

You might set up a controlling PIN and specifically authorize all content and see if that makes a difference.

By the way, I have also had an occasional disc that looked like it was in pristine condition that just wouldn't play the feature. One I got to play by going into "select scene" and picked the first scene, and it played fine. Another I picked a different audio tract (e.g., Stereo vs. 5.1), a couple others I had to return and the replacements played just fine.

And then there was the time the blue laser of my previous Blu-ray player was going out: it didn't recognize about half of the Blu-ray discs and the only way I suspected it instead of the discs was by the high rejection rate.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
post #9277 of 9286 Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
JHL
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a similar problem with 2 separate copies of Wolf Hall Disc 1.

The disc would load to a splash screen which looked like a menu but there were no options available. At that point the disc stopped loading and I could not get anything else to happen.

I tried accessing it from 2 Blu-ray players and the Blu-ray drive in my computer. They all failed to access the content beyond that point.
post #9278 of 9286 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Netflix plans for its disk delivery division

I read a pretty good article in the NY Times this morning about Netflix's plans for the future of its DVD and Bluray disk delivery division, which has shrunk from 20 million to five million customers in recent years.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/bu...T.nav=top-news

The upshot is that even though Netflix's streaming business is expanding and the disk division is shrinking, they plan to continue delivering disks for years to come.

Since I live in a rural area where I can't get broadband internet access, disk rental is my only practical, affordable way to get high quality video rentals.
post #9279 of 9286 Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural scribe View Post
I read a pretty good article in the NY Times this morning about Netflix's plans for the future of its DVD and Bluray disk delivery division, which has shrunk from 20 million to five million customers in recent years.

The upshot is that even though Netflix's streaming business is expanding and the disk division is shrinking, they plan to continue delivering disks for years to come.
There will still be a viable market for Blu-Ray rentals as long as they offer the best audio/video experience and the latest releases.

Quote:
Since I live in a rural area where I can't get broadband internet access, disk rental is my only practical, affordable way to get high quality video rentals.
Hey, at least you have Longmire!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9280 of 9286 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

“Expect us to continue to ship DVDs for the foreseeable future.”

I don't know what that really means .. what I do know is NF is not making any effort to expand the DVD/BD side or, for that matter, stem the flow of lost customers ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9281 of 9286 Old Today, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
There will still be a viable market for Blu-Ray rentals as long as they offer the best audio/video experience and the latest releases.

Hey, at least you have Longmire!

Ian
Longmire is not even an American. Just some Aussie actor who looks like Dennis Quaid.

But I did love that Netflix series "Daredevil" that I watched when I had streaming in June.
post #9282 of 9286 Old Today, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Longmire is not even an American. Just some Aussie actor who looks like Dennis Quaid.

But I did love that Netflix series "Daredevil" that I watched when I had streaming in June.
I think Ian was referring to your location ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9283 of 9286 Old Today, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I think Ian was referring to your location ..
Obviously, he was referring to my location, and I was referring to Longmire, but it's all just a joke anyway, so let us have our fun with it.
post #9284 of 9286 Old Today, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I think the most interesting part was the talk about the sorting robot(s?) that open and clean etc. (Although, based upon some of the discs I've gotten, I'd hardly call them "clean"). I think I'd read a whole article about the robots and what they do and how they figured out how to get them to work correctly.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 82" 1.0 Gain Screen, Darbee Darblet HD 43%, PS3, PS4, with Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030, SVS PB-2000, a Def Tech CS-8040HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, and 2 SM55 for surrounds.
post #9285 of 9286 Old Today, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Quote:
Obviously, he was referring to my location, and I was referring to Longmire, but it's all just a joke anyway, so let us have our fun with it.

Correct. I was referring to the TV show, which takes place in Wyoming, not the actor.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Today at 12:16 PM.
post #9286 of 9286 Unread Today, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 103
It looks like Redbox took a lot of rentals from Netflix. They've lost rentals as well in the last year but not like Netflix. Although I like the Redbox concept I've never used one. Disks by mail are convenient and I'm usually able to plan ahead enough that I haven't used Redbox although I've come close a couple times.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/redbox-statistics/
http://www.statista.com/statistics/2...kiosk-rentals/

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page