Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 315 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #9421 of 9436 Old 07-16-2016, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I've rented 664 since November 2013. I was a very early adopter of Netflix but switched to Blockbuster for the in-store returns and swaps. Back to Netflix when Blockbuster went bust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9422 of 9436 Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4151 Post(s)
Liked: 2476
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Just curious how many discs users here have gotten from Netflix over the years. I've been a user since November 1999, and currently show 1432 (go to Netflix queue, History, scroll to the bottom.)
Mine shows 2516. But it only goes back to AUgust 2000. It doesn't show my 18 months of history prior to that. WHen I payed for each individual disc rental. And had to return it in something like seven days.

I didn't switch to the all you can rent for one price plan until they forced me to. Which I guess was August 2000.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #9423 of 9436 Old 07-16-2016, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 187
1193 disks since Aug 2003.

I did a little streaming when they started doing it but only a couple shows. Dropped it when they waned to charge for it, I'm happy with BD quality.

I did blockbuster disks by mail for awhile when it was included with my dish sat service when you could return it to the local store and pickup another at the store. Then dish dropped them and so I dropped blockbuster. I've been pretty happy overall with Netflix.

Cheers,
post #9424 of 9436 Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Why did Netflix remove the Blu-ray releases for 7/26 from the coming soon page?

There are other Blu-ray releases missing from the coming soon page for the other weeks also.
post #9425 of 9436 Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My discs these last few weeks have taken two days to get to me, AND the estimated arrival time now reflects two day transits. The transit used to be estimated at one day.

Anybody else seeing this? I'm not happy...
slimm likes this.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9426 of 9436 Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
My discs these last few weeks have taken two days to get to me, AND the estimated arrival time now reflects two day transits. The transit used to be estimated at one day.

My returns have a been a bit slower the past couple weeks, seemingly taking an extra day. Discs coming to me seem to still be on schedule though.

post #9427 of 9436 Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm getting one day return and delivery most of the time. Sometimes disks don't ship from my local facility 20 miles south of me and it takes a day or two longer to receive a disk, this seems to happen with lower volume titles like old TV shows and old movies. I've also noticed that some older shows are no longer being carried by Netflix all together, they get rather permanently moved to the "Saved" part of my queue, when this happens I try to buy them on BD at a bargain price, I've also noticed that some titles that have been in the "Saved" area of my queue for more than a year also become no longer available for purchase, this has happened to a number of Science Chanel titles. Sometimes I can find no longer carried titles outside the US but I don't have a region free player.

It seems that Netflix can no longer be relied on as a repository of "historical" titles, they're nothing like Red Box which only has what Blockbuster would have had in store but they certainly no longer have anything that I might be able to purchase. Too bad, I've started to buy more disks.

Cheers,
post #9428 of 9436 Old 08-10-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Got my discs from Monday today. Return address on the label isn't Indianapolis like it used to be, now shows Columbus Ohio.

Uh oh.

This means not only two day shipment to me, but unreliable Saturday-return-checked-in-Monday for new releases. This might be a deal killer for me, get me switching to that other place (what's it called? 3DBluRayRental.com or something?).

I've been annoyed by waits and limited bluray selection with NF but the turnaround time has been good until recently. But this may tear it for me.

Marc

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9429 of 9436 Old 08-16-2016, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Got my discs from Monday today. Return address on the label isn't Indianapolis like it used to be, now shows Columbus Ohio.
Wouldn't read too much into the return address, that can change from shipment to shipment, and AFAIK the Post Office knows to go back to the closest one. Of course you won't always get a disc from the closest one...

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
post #9430 of 9436 Old 08-16-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
AFAIK the Post Office knows to go back to the closest one. Of course you won't always get a disc from the closest one...
Even as recent as a couple months ago using a return mailer to another state took a couple days longer for them to receive it than it usually takes when using a mailer to the "local" plant (which is an hour's drive north of me).

However, Netflix had received notification from the USPS (a.k.a., "post office") that something got returned, so they went ahead and sent the next disc.

However, I still try to return discs to the local processing plant because that's more reliable than them receiving notice that I returned something and, besides, it seems to be easier on their discs than traveling long distances. (I have a mild dread of discs that are shipped across state lines since about a third of the time they arrive broken, whereas less than 1% of the time discs shipped locally are broken.)

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #9431 of 9436 Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Even as recent as a couple months ago using a return mailer to another state took a couple days longer for them to receive it than it usually takes when using a mailer to the "local" plant (which is an hour's drive north of me).
Sounds to me like something in the chain is broken if they don't know how to deal better than that with one of their highest volume customer's mail.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
post #9432 of 9436 Old 08-19-2016, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 417
At least by using the USPS scan information, Netflix can send a disc a day later instead of several days makes it less of an irritation.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #9433 of 9436 Old 08-23-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Anyone know why Netflix is not carrying BD versions of some movies? I'm not talking about old stuff. Many are not that old, and are available in BD (at least by looking at Amazon.)

Some examples in my list: "The Four", "April and the Extraordinary World". "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" also is DVD only, but appears as only DVD or streaming on Amazon.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #9434 of 9436 Old 08-23-2016, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
Anyone know why Netflix is not carrying BD versions of some movies? I'm not talking about old stuff. Many are not that old, and are available in BD (at least by looking at Amazon.)

Some examples in my list: "The Four", "April and the Extraordinary World". "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" also is DVD only, but appears as only DVD or streaming on Amazon.
I'm not sure but I've noticed it too. I've nearly called to ask a couple times. I'm waiting for the latest season of "Grimm" to come out to see if it's DVD only, then I'll put together a list of titles I'd like to watch on BD and give them a call. I wanted to watch "Batman, the killing joke" on BD and NF only has it on DVD so I check Redbox and they only have it on DVD too, so it may be the studios choice. I'm looking for alternative BD rentals and I'll be giving them a call.

Also on my list of DVD only disappointment is:
iZombi
Leverage
Castle
Witness

Just to name a few.

It sound's like you've got your list, give them a call. And if you find someplace else that has more videos on BD let us know.

Cheers,
post #9435 of 9436 Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I wanted to watch "Batman, the killing joke" on BD and NF only has it on DVD so I check Redbox and they only have it on DVD too, so it may be the studios choice. I'm looking for alternative BD rentals and I'll be giving them a call.
I rented the KILLING JOKE BD from http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/
dnoonie likes this.
post #9436 of 9436 Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
I rented the KILLING JOKE BD from http://www.store-3d-blurayrental.com/
So I found 13 movies that were in my NF queue but not available on BD on BD at ^. A few of the titles had been permanently moved to the Saved part of my queue.

Thanks! Next binge watching time I'll be getting a subscription for at least a couple months to burn through the queue.

Cheers,

Last edited by dnoonie; Yesterday at 11:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software