Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #9451 of 9451 Old Today, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 417
One consolation I have noticed with the reduction of BD discs is that it seems that more and more Netflix DVDs are anamorphic widescreen instead of slice-and-dice pan-and-scan for 1.78:1 and wider content. So apparently a significant percent of the Netflix customers have 1.78:1 TVs.

I still remember when DVDs of widescreen movies (1.85:1 and 2.35:1) were mostly pan-and-scan (to display on the old 1.33:1 TVs), and even today some of the older titles are still pan-and-scan (probably never replaced those older discs).

(Of course I am not referring to DVDs of pre-Digital TV transition TV shows or made-for-TV movies that were shot at 1.33:1 or movies filmed in the original Academy Ratio of 1.375:1. If the artistic intent was 4:3, a.k.a., 1.33:1, it makes perfect sense to watch those at 1.33:1.)

For the past few months when I have seen a good movie listed on TV, I have also checked IMDB for the OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) and Netflix for what they offer, and sometimes the broadcast will be closer to the OAR, but more and more the DVD (if there isn't a BD available for that title) will be closer to the OAR.

But of course if Netflix has the BD and that BD is available or has just a short wait, I'll usually opt for the BD.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page