Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 316 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 72Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9451 of 9465 Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark12547's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Salem, Oregon, United States, Earth
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 420
One consolation I have noticed with the reduction of BD discs is that it seems that more and more Netflix DVDs are anamorphic widescreen instead of slice-and-dice pan-and-scan for 1.78:1 and wider content. So apparently a significant percent of the Netflix customers have 1.78:1 TVs.

I still remember when DVDs of widescreen movies (1.85:1 and 2.35:1) were mostly pan-and-scan (to display on the old 1.33:1 TVs), and even today some of the older titles are still pan-and-scan (probably never replaced those older discs).

(Of course I am not referring to DVDs of pre-Digital TV transition TV shows or made-for-TV movies that were shot at 1.33:1 or movies filmed in the original Academy Ratio of 1.375:1. If the artistic intent was 4:3, a.k.a., 1.33:1, it makes perfect sense to watch those at 1.33:1.)

For the past few months when I have seen a good movie listed on TV, I have also checked IMDB for the OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) and Netflix for what they offer, and sometimes the broadcast will be closer to the OAR, but more and more the DVD (if there isn't a BD available for that title) will be closer to the OAR.

But of course if Netflix has the BD and that BD is available or has just a short wait, I'll usually opt for the BD.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Mark12547 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9452 of 9465 Old 08-29-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 12,890
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
As a 29 year old, let me say that I'd prefer that BDs stay around for a while, but I do understand the trepidation as most of my friends watch things on their computers or phones or tablets and don't quite understand my desire for the high quality experience that is blu-ray. Not to say that they don't appreciate coming to my house to watch a movie on my 106" screen, but that their normal viewing is either pirated or digital streaming.
Well, I'm not prognosticating the demise of DVD or BD .. I just think it's continuing to morph into an eventual niche or boutique market .. the day will come where Grampa Jetson will be sitting in the floating recliner and Little Wheezer Jetson will say "Hey, what's that metallic disc .. ?? Grampa will say :: "Well, Wheezer, that's what they called a Blu Ray back in my day .." ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #9453 of 9465 Old 08-29-2016, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_G View Post
They apparently just closed the local distribution center and the discs now Take a minimum of two days to get to me from the next city over. This makes it impossible to get two cycles per week. So the value of NF just dropped by half. I'm going to investigate the 3Dblurayrental place as the cost per disc now Wong be much different.
Wong? To put things in perspective. I pay under 2 bills for a BD movie these days, less then half of what it cost me at the local Block Buster years ago to rent a DVD. Therefore, you won't hear me complaining about a small surcharge that assures me better quality.

3D BD RP may offer UHD and even lossless audio for the small % of rental titles that are lossy, but it still ain't that cheap.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #9454 of 9465 Old 09-03-2016, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 16,491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I also feel that, and I don't have any proof of this, however, I feel sure some releases don't offer a BD option to anyone .. in general, whether it be the local B&M, Redbox or NF, there is a premium to be paid for a BD .. if the logic of "NF should eliminate the BD surcharge because I can't get everything they offer on BD", then the same logic would hold true on other rental outlets .. no .. ??
No.

In those other scenarios, only the people who actually choose to rent a particular title in BD actually pay the upcharge. With Netflix, you pay that as part of your monthly fee whether you get a single title available in BD or not.

In this case, it's like having a gym membership where the monthly fee includes towel service, but the gym often doesn't have any available, while another gym only charges the fee if you actually use one. In the case of the latter, only the people who are getting the service pay the fee. In the case of the former, many people are paying for something they aren't getting.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #9455 of 9465 Old 09-03-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I'm ready to pay another surcharge for UHD BR, when it's offered--hopefully next year when the studios start releasing UHD and BR versions of the new releases. Just a few releases, as of now.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, JVC RS600, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LsiC and LSiM 706 centers, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
Ted99 is offline  
post #9456 of 9465 Old 09-05-2016, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
No.

In those other scenarios, only the people who actually choose to rent a particular title in BD actually pay the upcharge. With Netflix, you pay that as part of your monthly fee whether you get a single title available in BD or not.

In this case, it's like having a gym membership where the monthly fee includes towel service, but the gym often doesn't have any available, while another gym only charges the fee if you actually use one. In the case of the latter, only the people who are getting the service pay the fee. In the case of the former, many people are paying for something they aren't getting.
I have to respectfully disagree. I've been renting BD's weekly from Netflix since they became available and based on my viewing habits, I have always been able to get the titles I wanted, although occasionally I may have to wait a bit longer for a new release. I can't remember the last time I actually rented a DVD. It's still a lot cheaper for me then streaming services like Vudu, and it offers better quality. Obviously, this service doesn't work for you, so go somewhere else and forgot about the silly fee.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

mailiang is offline  
post #9457 of 9465 Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NetworkTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 16,491
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. I've been renting BD's weekly from Netflix since they became available and based on my viewing habits, I have always been able to get the titles I wanted, although occasionally I may have to wait a bit longer for a new release. I can't remember the last time I actually rented a DVD. It's still a lot cheaper for me then streaming services like Vudu, and it offers better quality. Obviously, this service doesn't work for you, so go somewhere else and forgot about the silly fee.

Ian
You know what? People say things like that piss me off.

You act as though complaining about something should result in banishment from society. The fact is, the reason stuff gets better is because the companies behind them want to make sure people are happy.

As someone who deals in products and services available overseas, I can tell you right now, many of them are crap. Go to Canada and the UK where people tend to bitch less than they do in the US and you'll find lack of selection, terrible quality and a complete lack of innovation unless the government steps and and demands something. Then they tax everyone on it to pay for it all.

No thank you. I'll pay my own way. Just give me what I pay for.

Sure, new releases of new movies are almost always available as BDs. It's the catalog releases where they fail. Week after week, catalog titles are released on BD that never make it to Netflix. As someone who actually likes to watch all kinds of movies, I want to be able to watch the older stuff in the currently best accessible format available - and no, I don't consider UHD to be "accessible" yet with lack of player selection and high prices. It's annoying to know there are BD versions of titles I want to watch, but they aren't stocked despite Netflix charges me an add on fee specifically to pay for those discs.

The worst part is, those catalog BDs are often the same price or little more than the cost of a DVD.

Could I buy all of them? Sure, but that defeats the purpose of having a rental service. Further, the number of times studios have screwed up those releases by slathering on DNR, accidentally deleting material or failing to do any sort of restoration is enough that I want to check out what I might be buying before I buy. I test drive cars before I buy them, too.

I think I'm entitled to want best value for my premium dollars.
turls, rossi46 and shimonmor like this.
NetworkTV is offline  
post #9458 of 9465 Old 09-06-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 12,890
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
You know what? People say things like that piss me off.

You act as though complaining about something should result in banishment from society. The fact is, the reason stuff gets better is because the companies behind them want to make sure people are happy.

As someone who deals in products and services available overseas, I can tell you right now, many of them are crap. Go to Canada and the UK where people tend to bitch less than they do in the US and you'll find lack of selection, terrible quality and a complete lack of innovation unless the government steps and and demands something. Then they tax everyone on it to pay for it all.

No thank you. I'll pay my own way. Just give me what I pay for.

Sure, new releases of new movies are almost always available as BDs. It's the catalog releases where they fail. Week after week, catalog titles are released on BD that never make it to Netflix. As someone who actually likes to watch all kinds of movies, I want to be able to watch the older stuff in the currently best accessible format available - and no, I don't consider UHD to be "accessible" yet with lack of player selection and high prices. It's annoying to know there are BD versions of titles I want to watch, but they aren't stocked despite Netflix charges me an add on fee specifically to pay for those discs.

The worst part is, those catalog BDs are often the same price or little more than the cost of a DVD.

Could I buy all of them? Sure, but that defeats the purpose of having a rental service. Further, the number of times studios have screwed up those releases by slathering on DNR, accidentally deleting material or failing to do any sort of restoration is enough that I want to check out what I might be buying before I buy. I test drive cars before I buy them, too.

I think I'm entitled to want best value for my premium dollars.
I saw nothing in Ian's post that was inflammatory .. just the opposite, in fact .. and, apparently, oddly enough, NF has been and continues to be quite successful with it's Model .. let's not forget that it's streaming expansion, not disk expansion, that currently drives the Business Model .. as well as general distribution from other rental sources moving toward streaming ..

and the money to be made comes from the new release // not the catalog title with limited appeal .. in a World where DVD still out sells BD by a good margin .. as a Businessman myself, I invest my money in products that the majority of folks want .. it's just good business sense ..

We've beat this dead horse to death anyway .. it is what it is .. no one is going to form the "Catalog BD Titles Matter" movement ..
mailiang likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #9459 of 9465 Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I saw nothing in Ian's post that was inflammatory .. just the opposite, in fact .. and, apparently, oddly enough, NF has been and continues to be quite successful with it's Model .. let's not forget that it's streaming expansion, not disk expansion, that currently drives the Business Model .. as well as general distribution from other rental sources moving toward streaming ..

and the money to be made comes from the new release // not the catalog title with limited appeal .. in a World where DVD still out sells BD by a good margin .. as a Businessman myself, I invest my money in products that the majority of folks want .. it's just good business sense ..

We've beat this dead horse to death anyway .. it is what it is .. no one is going to form the "Catalog BD Titles Matter" movement ..
It always goes back to supply and demand. Bottom line, there are still more titles on DVD and more demand for them then Blu-Ray, and as long that's the case, BD rentals will continue to be offered at a premium. Time to move on..

Ian
mgkdragn likes this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 09-06-2016 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Typo
mailiang is offline  
post #9460 of 9465 Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 12,890
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
It always goes back to supply and demand. Bottom line, there are still more titles on DVD then Blu-Ray, and as long that's the case, BD rentals will continue to be offered at a premium. Time to move on..

Ian
I'll simply add that I feel sure the Content Folks have all thought BD would be the de facto standard by now, along the same lines as DVD replaced VHS .. it just never happened, because, apparently, the Public At Large could care less .. :: END ::

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #9461 of 9465 Old 09-06-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 28,269
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Again....it's not about whether they feel it's worth it to them to offer the discs.

It's that if they are going to cut back and not offer them on a lot of titles, they need to not charge extra. The fee was supposed to offset the extra cost of BDs over DVDs. However, BDs are now often very close in price to DVDs of the same titles and they aren't buying nearly as many of the titles - yet we're still having to pay the premium.

I don't mind paying a premium price for a premium product. I just don't want to be scammed.
Then don't pay Netflix. After having Netflix Disc rentals since early 1999, I canceled my BD subscription last month. Now I just use www.3d-blurayrental.com (For 2D BDs, 3D BDs, and UHD BDs)or Redbox(for BDs). Netflix lost me as a long time customer for their disc rentals.

And as a streaming subscriber since the beginning, I will now only subscribe to them 6 to 8 months each year. They pissed me off too much to keep giving them $300+ a year(for disc and streaming). Now they will get under $100 a year from me. And only from streaming.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline  
post #9462 of 9465 Old 09-06-2016, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 12,890
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Then don't pay Netflix. After having Netflix Disc rentals since early 1999, I canceled my BD subscription last month. Now I just use www.3d-blurayrental.com (For 2D BDs, 3D BDs, and UHD BDs)or Redbox(for BDs). Netflix lost me as a long time customer for their disc rentals.

And as a streaming subscriber since the beginning, I will now only subscribe to them 6 to 8 months each year. They pissed me off too much to keep giving them $300+ a year(for disc and streaming). Now they will get under $100 a year from me. And only from streaming.
I dropped down to the one out plan which is about $10.00 a month / BD .. I average about 6 BD's a month, so about $1.66 per disk .. I have not rented a DVD in a long time .. I'll supplement that with an occasional RB BD .. on the streaming side, NF original material pretty well keeps me hooked as well as TV shows I don't care to DVR when they come out and I'm fine with waiting ..

I'm lucky in the sense that we have a local full service Family Video that stocks fairly in depth, both new and old .. however, a new release BD is going to run you about $4.00 a night, and many these days are Rental copies / bare bones ..

If I recall correctly, the BD option on the one out plan adds $2.00 a month .. ?? I don't know what the surcharge is on other plans ..

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #9463 of 9465 Old 09-07-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Central IL
Posts: 4,882
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Funny, its always about beating a dead horse to the same people in this thread, that always make it sound like 3d-blurayrental.com is some sort of panacea. The dead horse is carrying water for Netflix on an obviously poorly executed surcharge.

"I have always been able to get the titles I wanted" is a ridiculous assertion. It is so obvious with very little research that Netflix does not carry a huge amount of catalog titles in BD format, even though every week we have numerous re-releases of discs that were previously DVD only.
rossi46 likes this.

Matt

UMR on HDR vs 4K: The benefit of greater saturation and luminance capability is...not very evident in all images unlike more pixels which can be seen in every scene.
turls is offline  
post #9464 of 9465 Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 12,890
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 1848
Grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #9465 of 9465 Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mailiang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Springsteen Country
Posts: 7,931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
"I have always been able to get the titles I wanted" is a ridiculous assertion. It is so obvious with very little research that Netflix does not carry a huge amount of catalog titles in BD format, even though every week we have numerous re-releases of discs that were previously DVD only.
In my particular case, it's not a ridiculous assertion, it's a fact. Like I posted, for those who have different viewing habits, and are willing to spend more, go elsewhere. Sorry, but I can't make it any clearer than that.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others


Last edited by mailiang; 09-07-2016 at 02:00 PM.
mailiang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Software

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off