Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 319 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
post #9541 of 9549 Unread 02-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Even with my slow turnaround, netflix is still less than half the price of 3dblurayrental. My most recent turnaround took 11 days and I only had the discs for 1 day. I have a 2 per month plan at 3dblurayrental mainly to get blurays netflix doesn't have. I just today went to Redbox and picked up The Accountant and The Arrival with a promo code that brought the price about even with netflix. Netflix had them on short wait and long wait. I don't see a good solution unless the USPS improves their delivery times, but they seem to be going in the wrong direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9542 of 9549 Unread 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 82
It seems as if discs that have streaming available no longer have the PLAY button on the queue list. You only see it in the disc description. I noticed this with "The BFG".

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #9543 of 9549 Unread 04-12-2017, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
It seems as if discs that have streaming available no longer have the PLAY button on the queue list.
Just checked my queue and there are still buttons for "Play" streaming.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nf.png
Views:	20
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2081577  

-Shimon

post #9544 of 9549 Unread 04-13-2017, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post
Just checked my queue and there are still buttons for "Play" streaming.
I think it's not showing because it's in my "At Home" category and I already have it. When I added "Pete's Dragon" as a test, it did show the PLAY button.

post #9545 of 9549 Unread 04-13-2017, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm getting confused as to how Netflix is handling shipping now. For several months last year, they seemed to be shipping an extra disc almost all the time, resulting in it acting like one disc-out from what you had. I'm wondering if that was due to them closing shipping centers and just being safe while adjusting for the new shipping times? For various reasons, I had dropped mine down to 1-out. But, then they stopped the extra disc and it was taking nearly a week turnaround. I recently changed it back to 2-out. Not only are they sending the next disc in my queue, but they are sending another disc, although it did have a notice that it wasn't available at my local center.

post #9546 of 9549 Unread 04-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
I'm getting confused as to how Netflix is handling shipping now. For several months last year, they seemed to be shipping an extra disc almost all the time, resulting in it acting like one disc-out from what you had. I'm wondering if that was due to them closing shipping centers and just being safe while adjusting for the new shipping times? For various reasons, I had dropped mine down to 1-out. But, then they stopped the extra disc and it was taking nearly a week turnaround. I recently changed it back to 2-out. Not only are they sending the next disc in my queue, but they are sending another disc, although it did have a notice that it wasn't available at my local center.
I was under the impression based on earlier posts in this thread that Netflix was being notified of discs in transit by the USPS and then sending the next discs. I recently had an extra disc mailed to me because they said one that was in my queue had to ship from a distant location, so they were sending an extra one. I am on the 3 out at a time plan and I have seen as many as 7 in my "at home" queue. The sending of extra discs seems irregular. Sometimes if they don't show them received, I will report the disc as mailed to them, but I think it has to be a week or so before they will let you do that.

It seems the timing of their closing centers was terrible because it was around the same time that the USPS slowed their deliveries dramatically. The number of movies I can get in a month is about half of what it was. It must have done wonders for the profitability of the disc by mail service for Netflix. Same prices but half the movies mailed.
post #9547 of 9549 Unread 04-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 230
I have a 2 out at a time plan at the moment. I have 2 disks at home and a disk that was sent that was supposed to arrive yesterday that hasn't arrived yet. Lately disks have been arriving a day later than the Netflix estimate...except for the one disk shipped from who knows where which is 2 days late. My local shipping center is pretty close, a 30min drive in good traffic if you don't speed. I've certainly had mail issues at times and as gworrel stated USPS did some shuffling and downsizing a while back and when that happened I was getting disks 2 or 4 days late fairly often and after a couple months of that Netflix started sending disks in my queue as if I was on a 5 disk plan when I was on a 3 disk plan, but things have stabilized a bit...

Now that things have stabilized with the USPS I usually get disks the day after they ship and sometimes a day later...never happened like that a few years back but I consider USPS responsible for the delays that have been happening the last few years and...USPS had a 6 month period where delivery was taking up to 4 days across town when is used to take 1 day 98% of the time. Now it's usually 1 day across town 75% of the time.

Netflix does send out more disks than my subscription at certain times, I'm not sure what their formula is.

Cheers,
post #9548 of 9549 Unread Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I normally use Firefox, and have two Live Bookmarks for Netflix. One was for my queue, and one for recommendations. I don't remember when I created them. I noticed that they no longer work. There are no settings in Firefox I can see to even see where they point to. If I go to the current queue page, FF does not offer the 'subscribe to page' option under Bookmarks. I do know they worked a few weeks ago.

post #9549 of 9549 Unread Today, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Question

Quote:
I normally use Firefox, and have two Live Bookmarks for Netflix. One was for my queue, and one for recommendations. I don't remember when I created them. I noticed that they no longer work. There are no settings in Firefox I can see to even see where they point to. If I go to the current queue page, FF does not offer the 'subscribe to page' option under Bookmarks. I do know they worked a few weeks ago.

I have Firefox and after reading your post I added another bookmark to my toolbar for my Que. It works like a charm. Have you updated your browser, or checked your tab settings lately?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software