Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 320 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #9571 of 9583 Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

That, of course, excludes my yearly viewing of LOTR Directors Cut and a handful of others ..
Do you do it in a single setting. If so, you are as sick as our oldest son.

Personally I'm addicted to the British versions of Tinker Tailer ... and Smily's People along with the extended version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Oops, I can't leave out Bourne Identity.

Last edited by htwaits; 05-10-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9572 of 9583 Old 05-10-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1962 Post(s)
Liked: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Do you do it in a single setting. If so, you are as sick as our oldest son.

Personally I'm addicted to the British versions of Tinker Tailer ... and Smilies People along with the extended version of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. Oops, I can't leave out Bourne Identity.
It's generally over a Long Weekend ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9573 of 9583 Old 06-07-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 43
They just shipped me Doctor Who Season 10 discs 1 and 2... but only DVD. Argg! They apparently aren't getting the blurays. What crap.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...

post #9574 of 9583 Old 06-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked: 1672
Is anyone else seeing Netflix suddenly taking 2 days to process returns? All off a sudden they are waiting an extra day to ship a disc after receiving a return.
So they check in a disc today but don't ship one till tomorrow. WTF?
slimm likes this.
post #9575 of 9583 Old 06-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Is anyone else seeing Netflix suddenly taking 2 days to process returns? All off a sudden they are waiting an extra day to ship a disc after receiving a return.
I've had this happen on and off for the last 18 months or so. I'd speculate that it depends on if it gets scanned properly or has to be sorted by hand.

Cheers,
post #9576 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
I've had this happen on and off for the last 18 months or so. I'd speculate that it depends on if it gets scanned properly or has to be sorted by hand.

Cheers,
I checked with them on that a while back and was told it's a matter of USPS scanning and the USPS changes regarding Media Mail .. etc .. while I have not researched the current status of distribution centers, I'd guess they may be shrinking in nunber .. add that along with this ::

http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...2434cd036.html

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9577 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
It works the same way that reducing their work week from six to five working days. As they reduce turn around volume it becomes easier and easier to get out of the disk rental business. Their future customers will do all their streaming to cell phones. At the same time I expect that they are also reducing inventory along with offering "special rental" versions.

I've reduced my subscription from three movies at a time to two movies at a time, and now one movie at a time. Netflix is overnight from where I live. Last week I returned a movie on Friday which meant it was processed on Monday and then it shipped on Wednesday. I received it on Thursday and returned it today.

The one disk a week cycle is the new Netflix.

Update:

"Netflix's shrinking DVD service faces uncertain future"

Netflix got so much heat on their stock price when they tried to replace disk rental with streaming that they backed off. Then they started to gradually kill their disc rental business one small step at a time. Netflix has almost competed the job. Ear buds and phone screens are the future of "home theater" on the go.

Last edited by htwaits; 06-30-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #9578 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
It works the same way that reducing their work week from six to five working days. As they reduce turn around volume it becomes easier and easier to get out of the disk rental business. Their future customers will do all their streaming to cell phones. At the same time I expect that they are also reducing inventory along with offering "special rental" versions.

I've reduced my subscription from three movies at a time to two movies at a time, and now one movie at a time. Netflix is overnight from where I live. Last week I returned a movie on Friday which meant it was processed on Monday and then it shipped on Wednesday. I received it on Thursday and returned it today.

The one disk a week cycle is the new Netflix.

Update:

"Netflix's shrinking DVD service faces uncertain future"

Netflix got so much heat on their stock price when they tried to replace disk rental with streaming that they backed off. Then they started to gradually kill their disc rental business one small step at a time. Netflix has almost competed the job. Ear buds and phone screens are the future of "home theater" on the go.
It should come as no surprise .. Hastings has stated from the get go that streaming was the ultimate goal ..

As a stockholder back in those days, the separation of the disk by mail and streaming into two separate entities, with a fairly large price hike, caused the stock drop .. they lost around 800,000 subscribers at the time .. then there was the proposed name "Qwickster" .. with the split into two separate Websites ..

As each new Generation comes up the line, streaming will become more and more the norm, with disks relegated to the Oldsters (like me) .. I don't agree with it, but tech always marches on .. as well, NF continues to position itself along the lines of a Premium Cable channel with much more immediate selection .. continuing to expand it's original content ..

Uncle Willie

post #9579 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
It should come as no surprise .. Hastings has stated from the get go that streaming was the ultimate goal ..
Tell me about it. I've been using Netflix since Christmas 1999.

Quote:
I don't agree with it, but tech always marches on ..
It's more like control, consolidation and marketing marches on.

Quote:
NF continues to position itself along the lines of a Premium Cable channel with much more immediate selection .. continuing to expand it's original content ..
... it could mean paying for each view within several levels of image quality.

I'm so old that my plateau may be 5.1 lossless audio with Blue-ray.
post #9580 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I haven't seen too much of a delay the past month or so. My Netflix return site is also the main USPS distribution for my area, so there is little delay. The email notifications are also getting better and on-time, although mostly on shipped disc notifications. I don't get many received ones. I am on the two-out plan.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #9581 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
It's more like control, consolidation and marketing marches on.

... it could mean paying for each view within several levels of image quality.
I think it's mostly a matter of convenience .. young folks want it now, they are adverse to waiting, or going to an actual Video Store (the few that are left) .. quality takes a back seat .. the Market is what determines what ends up or down .. no different than the Music business ..

I could see NF going to a tiered pricing arrangement .. and, I've said for years that if VUDU and the rest of the streamers could get a HD feed out at $1.50 or less per view on a new release, the disk market would die a hell of a lot faster than it's already dying ..

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/str...cable-tv-40291

Uncle Willie

post #9582 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Coyote Waits

Quote:
.. no different than the Music business ..
post #9583 of 9583 Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Nearly 10x the number of subscribers to streaming vs disk with about 5% of the library...and still not making a profit, it's "early days" for sure with this model but it appears a lot of people are hooked. Server costs are pretty low and will continue to drop. Bandwidth costs on the other hand might be dropping but there's still a lot of infrastructure that's just not there now. Verizons purchase of XO (an internet backbone provider) and their push into 5G wireless places them in a good position to provide the needed bandwidth from the data ocean to the user...but not for another 3-5 years depending on where you live. Between now and then I don't see my disk viewing changing unless my residence and lifestyle change dramatically (which is unlikely). I'm not against streaming, I just want the library and the quality and that doesn't exist now.

I think there might be some niche opportunities out there for old movies on DVD. Will Netflix cover that niche or will it be someone else? I've relied on Netflix for disks I like to re-watch maybe once every 3 years or so. Will I have to purchase those titles now? The price is certainly becoming less to purchase BDs but I'd rather not store them. Will older titles be available to stream or download in high quality? I see a lot of gaps right now that keep me from switching to disk-less. The music industry has good options now though but it took way to long to get there. I hope the video industry gets there sooner.

I have gone to the 2 disk plan. There just aren't as many disks to watch. I've purchased some TV titles on BD to watch because they were only offered on SD DVD from Netflix, the purchase price was about the same as a rental from 3d-blurayrental.com for the series (BDs are getting cheep). Netflix is not the reliable source it once was for BD rentals. I just don't want to store disks, particularly for shows I won't be re-watching.

Unfortunately I'm experiencing a little bit of a rocky transition, I'm not all that pleased with my options. I think I'll need to purchase more BDs then sell them right away, I just need to get my new methodology for viewing disks figured out.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page