Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 100Likes

post #9601 of 9609 Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
They aren't going to send the disc back to the non-local center. That's why the envelope says "Nearest Netflix Facility" on it.

The local Post Office Sorting Center didn't use to honor the "Nearest Netflix Facility" and return discs to, say, Florida or Hawaii from Oregon would take several days. However, it looks like they are now honoring the "Nearest Netflix Facility" notation.

Yesterday I returned four discs, one of which was from a non-local facility, and all four got scanned in today. In the past, the non-local disc would take an extra day or two to make it from Portland down to Santa Ana, CA.

So it looks like I'll stop handling non-local returns differently (doubling up with a local disc and discarding the non-local envelope) and instead just return non-local discs in their non-local return envelopes. (I had wondered why Netflix never printed my local return address on envelopes that come from non-local plants.)

Below are the numbers I tracked for this experiment. The "Miles" is from Portland, OR because all our local mail first goes to Portland for cancellation and initial sorting, so I am showing miles to the city on the return envelope (as shown by Google Maps), "Local" being Tacoma, WA, and non-local, in this case, being Santa Ana, CA.

Local ReturnMiles from Portland ORMovie TitleDate MailedDate Scanned InDays In Transit
Yes144.00The GooniesMon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171
Yes144.00Jurassic WorldMon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171
No995.00The Ladykillers (1955)Mon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171
Yes144.00Transformers: Age of ExtinctionMon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Mark12547; 08-29-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 9609 Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
The local Post Office Sorting Center didn't use to honor the "Nearest Netflix Facility" and return discs to, say, Florida or Hawaii from Oregon would take several days.
Then they're violating postal regulations that state that mail may not be knowingly delivered to anyone but the intended recipient. The intended recipient is the "nearest Netflix facility" with the original address there in case there's an issue doing so.

Their charter requires them to send it to the nearest facility. If they fail to do so, complain to the Postmaster every time it fails to happen.

In fact, they shouldn't even be sending it anywhere except to a distribution hub. Netflix picks up the discs themselves.

One trick, if you get slow return service is to drop the disc in a standalone mail drop box before the first daily pickup. Those often bypass local podunk post offices that do little more than pass on mail and usually sends those items to the nearest main distribution center. From there, it's far more likely to get to where Netflix is actually going to pick it up.
post #9603 of 9609 Old 09-29-2017, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just tried to watch Wonder Women on Blu ray ( a rental from Netflix) and could not get any audio at all. All other discs played properly. The rep at Netflix says it is because my firmware needs to be updated to comply with new security standards. I checked (I have a Panasonic) and there is no update available. My player is about 4 years old. Has anyone else heard about this?

post #9604 of 9609 Old 10-01-2017, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post
I just tried to watch Wonder Women on Blu ray ( a rental from Netflix) and could not get any audio at all. All other discs played properly. The rep at Netflix says it is because my firmware needs to be updated to comply with new security standards. I checked (I have a Panasonic) and there is no update available. My player is about 4 years old. Has anyone else heard about this?
Nonsense. My Panasonic BD player is 7 years old and I rent 2 new releases a week and I have never experienced any playback problems.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #9605 of 9609 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs down Netflix ships DVD versions when BD's are not avaiable

I complained to Netflix CS about a disc (The Veil) that was originally available in Blu-Ray when I added it to my Que, and for what ever reason was only available in DVD when it was shipped to me. This has happened before. So I contacted them and they said it was policy to send out a DVD if the BD version is not available. I told them I would prefer if they didn't do that and I was told that it wasn't possible since it was my responsibility to monitor my Que and delete any DVD's that haven't shipped yet. So, in the mean time, they are telling me, I have to wait till I get a DVD that I don't want, and send it back before the next available title in my Que is shipped out? You would think they could find away to stop DVD's from being shipped by administering a BD only account at the customer request.

Ian

post #9606 of 9609 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I complained to Netflix CS about a disc (The Veil) that was originally available in Blu-Ray when I added it to my Que, and for what ever reason was only available in DVD when it was shipped to me. This has happened before. So I contacted them and they said it was policy to send out a DVD if the BD version is not available. I told them I would prefer if they didn't do that and I was told that it wasn't possible since it was my responsibility to monitor my Que and delete any DVD's that haven't shipped yet. So, in the mean time, they are telling me, I have to wait till I get a DVD that I don't want, and send it back before the next available title in my Que is shipped out? You would think they could find away to stop DVD's from being shipped by administering a BD only account at the customer request.

Ian
When I specifically ask for a complimentary disc due to a NF problem they have never denied the request. It's true their system won't kick out the next disc for that "out" until it is marked returned, but by adding a comp/bonus disc to your queue you can get the next disc shipped the next day.

I also do wish that there was a way to subscribe BD only, and have it not show dvd-only stock or add those to the queue.

Sometimes, I see dead pixels...
post #9607 of 9609 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Ian
I'd say this is just further confirmation that Netflix doesn't see much future in its disc rental service. With their streaming sub count over 50 mil and their disc sub count at maybe 4 mil it's pretty clear to see where their energy is focused. I'd expect to see even more of this in the future; titles go out of stock and are never replaced.
post #9608 of 9609 Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2069 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I'd say this is just further confirmation that Netflix doesn't see much future in its disc rental service. With their streaming sub count over 50 mil and their disc sub count at maybe 4 mil it's pretty clear to see where their energy is focused. I'd expect to see even more of this in the future; titles go out of stock and are never replaced.
Pretty much .. my mantra for the last year or two has been just that .. Hastings vision was a Streaming Only model at the get go .. disks will become a niche market at some point, just like vinyl ..
Keenan likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9609 of 9609 Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Pretty much .. my mantra for the last year or two has been just that .. Hastings vision was a Streaming Only model at the get go .. disks will become a niche market at some point, just like vinyl ..
My wife and a co-worker share a Vudu account which I have been using lately. The audio and video quality is close enough to Blu-Ray that I don't mind using the service occasionally to watch the titles that they choose.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page