Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #9601 of 9602 Old 08-29-2017, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
They aren't going to send the disc back to the non-local center. That's why the envelope says "Nearest Netflix Facility" on it.

The local Post Office Sorting Center didn't use to honor the "Nearest Netflix Facility" and return discs to, say, Florida or Hawaii from Oregon would take several days. However, it looks like they are now honoring the "Nearest Netflix Facility" notation.

Yesterday I returned four discs, one of which was from a non-local facility, and all four got scanned in today. In the past, the non-local disc would take an extra day or two to make it from Portland down to Santa Ana, CA.

So it looks like I'll stop handling non-local returns differently (doubling up with a local disc and discarding the non-local envelope) and instead just return non-local discs in their non-local return envelopes. (I had wondered why Netflix never printed my local return address on envelopes that come from non-local plants.)

Below are the numbers I tracked for this experiment. The "Miles" is from Portland, OR because all our local mail first goes to Portland for cancellation and initial sorting, so I am showing miles to the city on the return envelope (as shown by Google Maps), "Local" being Tacoma, WA, and non-local, in this case, being Santa Ana, CA.

Local ReturnMiles from Portland ORMovie TitleDate MailedDate Scanned InDays In Transit
Yes144.00The GooniesMon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171
Yes144.00Jurassic WorldMon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171
No995.00The Ladykillers (1955)Mon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171
Yes144.00Transformers: Age of ExtinctionMon 28-Aug-2017Tue 29-Aug-20171

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Mark12547; 08-29-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 9602 Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
The local Post Office Sorting Center didn't use to honor the "Nearest Netflix Facility" and return discs to, say, Florida or Hawaii from Oregon would take several days.
Then they're violating postal regulations that state that mail may not be knowingly delivered to anyone but the intended recipient. The intended recipient is the "nearest Netflix facility" with the original address there in case there's an issue doing so.

Their charter requires them to send it to the nearest facility. If they fail to do so, complain to the Postmaster every time it fails to happen.

In fact, they shouldn't even be sending it anywhere except to a distribution hub. Netflix picks up the discs themselves.

One trick, if you get slow return service is to drop the disc in a standalone mail drop box before the first daily pickup. Those often bypass local podunk post offices that do little more than pass on mail and usually sends those items to the nearest main distribution center. From there, it's far more likely to get to where Netflix is actually going to pick it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page