Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #991 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So would you care to explain why out of hundreds of DVD rentals through Netflix I've only had an incident with one, whereas with BDs a not-insignificant number arrive damaged? Same packaging, it's certainly reasonable to expect the same processing through the postal service, what is left to be the cause? The discs themselves being more prone to breakage certainly seems the reasonable conclusion to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post

So would you care to explain why out of hundreds of DVD rentals through Netflix I've only had an incident with one, whereas with BDs a not-insignificant number arrive damaged? Same packaging, it's certainly reasonable to expect the same processing through the postal service, what is left to be the cause? The discs themselves being more prone to breakage certainly seems the reasonable conclusion to me.

You still have to reconcile that with other evidence. Either your carrier is handling something differently, you have very bad luck, all of the bad BDs are coming to your general area, or BDs are more fragile and everybody else is just very lucky. I've been a netflix renter for probably 20 months. As I said before, the majority of my rentals are blu-ray, because I signed up for Netflix for that purpose. This is what i can remember off the top of my head:

2 of the SD DVD rentals of the Sopranos came to me unplayable and had to be sent back. One of them came on a Saturday, so I remember going to blockbuster to use my free-rental coupon to rent the same disc so that I didn't have to wait for turnaround time from netflix. I don't remember the movies that came scratched.

On BD, The Assasination of Jesse James came all scratched up, and I had to skip 5 minute segments on 2 occassions, including the last 5 minutes of the movie (which is a real bummer to watch a long movie and not be able to see the last 5 minutes). I remember at least one other BD being scratched up but can't remember which one off the top of my head.

Brandon
post #993 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I've been with Netflix for two years. I have received a couple of hundred BDs and HD DVDs and only about a dozen SD DVDs. I have only had two damaged discs in all that time and they were both SD DVDs. I am at a loss as to why your experience would be a complete opposite of mine.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #994 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Perhaps the postal equipment in your area isn't as rough on the discs as the equipment in mine.

It seems reasonable that the DVDs are sturdy enough to survive the processing, whereas the hardcoating to improve scratch resistance on BDs causes the disc to be more brittle (or something else about them that is different) and thus the BDs are more likely to be damaged in that processing.
post #995 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

It seems reasonable that the DVDs are sturdy enough to survive the processing, whereas the hardcoating to improve scratch resistance on BDs causes the disc to be more brittle (or something else about them that is different) and thus the BDs are more likely to be damaged in that processing.

That's what the Netflix representative told me, "Blu-Rays are more scratch resistant but more brittle."

Regardless as to why my Blu-Ray crack rate is 38% over the past 3 months, this is completely unacceptable. I will sign up with Blockbuster online and see if I have better results, but I'll keep my Netflix account for now. It, as others have said, the padding Blockbuster uses keeps the cracking problem to a minimum, I'll switch completely to them.

The good news is that if you look carefully you can find the crack and report it immediately, whereas with a scratch on a SD-DVD, you aren't quite sure if it will work until you try it.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #996 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

"21" and Perfect Storm shipping today. Definitely more BD copies available unless these aren't films anyone wants!
post #997 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

If the BDs were as durable as DVDs we'd not be seeing such an epidemic of cracked or otherwise damaged discs.

Uh....what "epidemic"?

This is a crock. I've been a member of Netflix since 2000. I've been renting Blu-ray discs since they started carrying them. I've had very few problems of any kind.......certainly no cracked discs. I had one that would not play. I have that problem occasionally with SD DVD's too.
post #998 of 8945 Old 07-21-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Tomlin View Post

I've had very few problems of any kind.......certainly no cracked discs.

Same here. Been a member since 2003 and I've never had a cracked disc. I've had maybe 2 SDVDs that were scratched so bad they were unplayable but thats it. BD and HDVD rentals have been flawless.

Blu-ray / HD DVD Collection: 567 Titles
post #999 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Reconcile it with Netflix regarding unplayable scratched for cracked BD discs. If they don't play ball, then obviously cancel membership.
post #1000 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Reconcile it with Netflix regarding unplayable scratched for cracked BD discs. If they don't play ball, then obviously cancel membership.

Eh?

What do you expect to happen? "Netflix, please stop sending me unplayable discs".

Netflix: "OK".

post #1001 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus 6 View Post

Same here. Been a member since 2003 and I've never had a cracked disc. I've had maybe 2 SDVDs that were scratched so bad they were unplayable but thats it. BD and HDVD rentals have been flawless.

You're lucky you've never had a problem. If you call Netflix and tell them you're Blu-Ray disc is cracked, they will tell you the discs are more "brittle". Obviously they're aware of the situation. Maybe you're in line right behind me and I'm filtering all the cracked discs out for you.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #1002 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

You're lucky you've never had a problem. If you call Netflix and tell them you're Blu-Ray disc is cracked, they will tell you the discs are more "brittle". Obviously they're aware of the situation. Maybe you're in line right behind me and I'm filtering all the cracked discs out for you.

And a netflix customer rep is just as reliable as a Best Buy salesman or a Dell customer rep who doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Brandon
post #1003 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

If Netflix is going to give you the cold shoulder with reporting problems with unplayable discs and it continually happens, they do not deserve your bucks. Simple as that!
post #1004 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 12:55 PM

i've had plenty of discs from netflix. not one of them has been cracked.
post #1005 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Well, good for you. Consider yourself lucky. I received another cracked one today.
post #1006 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM

I think the cracked discs are mostly isolated incidents and if its happening regularly its obviously a problem with how your Post Office handles them. I'd think Netflix could probably add a bit of protection to these shipping envelopes though but maybe they haven't had enough issues with this to consider implementing some change or for it to be cost effective.

Blu-ray / HD DVD Collection: 567 Titles
post #1007 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Or it could be some jerk whose favorite hobbies are smashing people's mailboxes and cracking blu-rays. Maybe a bitter HD-DVD fanboy.

Have you been getting new releases that are cracked?
post #1008 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've had both services. For HD discs (Blu & HD DVD) I've only had one disc that had playback problems. Washing the food off the playing surface of the disc solved that.

I do check the discs for garbage left by the last renter now.

If discs have obvious cracks in them, something is definitely wrong in the distribution chain. If frequent playback problems are the issue, I'd look at the player. A weak laser, or one that is out of alignment can play back some discs fine and have problems with less than perfect discs.
post #1009 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been an on/off member with both Netflix & Blockbuster over the past 6 years. I've had exactly ONE cracked disc. It was last month and it was an SD DVD. This is clearly a major issue with how SD DVDs are manufactured!
post #1010 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I don't know how Netflix makes a profit with their business model. But evidently they do. However, I bet it's not a large margin and that they depend on volume. I'm sure they are evaluating the cost of a stiffer shipping envelope (which would most likely add cost to both the envelope and the postage) vs. the loss of discs through damage.

post #1011 of 8945 Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Blockbuster is no better on better packaging or disk protection. I tried to rent the Pixar Shorts on BD and it took 3 (yes 3) tries before they delivered me a disk that was not cracked. I almost thought the mailman must have been up to something but no where on the outside envelope does it say BD disk inside. I had regular SD dvds shipped with the second BD delivery attempt and the BD was the only disk cracked so there might be something there about BDs being more brittle IMO.
post #1012 of 8945 Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I'm sure they are evaluating the cost of a stiffer shipping envelope (which would most likely add cost to both the envelope and the postage) vs. the loss of discs through damage.

Most of the time, my return Netflix mailers have some exposed sticky surfaces. I make it a practice of trimming off all of the sticky edges. I figure that there will be less chance that the envelopes will stick to other mail, or otherwise jam the equipment in the post office.

Does anyone else do this?
post #1013 of 8945 Old 07-24-2008, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

Most of the time, my return Netflix mailers have some exposed sticky surfaces. I make it a practice of trimming off all of the sticky edges. I figure that there will be less chance that the envelopes will stick to other mail, or otherwise jam the equipment in the post office.

I fold the little exposed gummy bits over onto themselves to get rid of them. Getting the scissors out and trimming is too much effort.
post #1014 of 8945 Old 07-24-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneily View Post

Yes! Happy to learn I'm not the only one who does that....

"Every man is a volume if you know how to read him. - William Ellery Channing
post #1015 of 8945 Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080725/.../earns_netflix

Netflix also is facing higher costs to buy high-definition DVDs for subscribers with Blu-ray players, but the company has already decided to raise its prices for that luxury. Hastings said Netflix will begin testing different prices for Blu-ray DVDs during the current quarter.

Alex doesn't live here anymore
post #1016 of 8945 Old 07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I MIGHT be willing to pay a dollar or two more per month if they can guarantee I won't be put on Long Waits.

Bobby
post #1017 of 8945 Old 07-25-2008, 12:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

I MIGHT be willing to pay a dollar or two more per month if they can guarantee I won't be put on Long Waits.

Agreed. We'll have to see how they do it.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #1018 of 8945 Old 07-25-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting timing on this development. I knew it would be happening soon (their CEO mentioned it during an interview or something several months ago), but didn't really know when. For the past 7 or 8 years I've gone through phases where I'll use Netflix (or Blockbuster) for 4 or 5 months, then burn through all the new(ish) releases that I want to watch. I'll cancel it for 4 or 5 months, lather, rinse, repeat. I'm at the point where I'm about to cancel it again for a while. Maybe I should wait until just after they raise their prices before cancelling. I know my reasoning for doing it (I don't mind paying an extra buck or two for BD), but they'll see it as losing a customer due to the price increase.

Remember that this is a company that makes a lot of its decisions based on customer response. They raised their rates a few bucks 3 or 4 years ago, and then responded a few months later by lowering them back to where they were....
post #1019 of 8945 Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

+2

It'll never happen though.
post #1020 of 8945 Old 07-25-2008, 02:32 PM

I'll be curious as to how they'll implement different pricing for BR too. As in, will it be an increased fee if you keep your account enabled for BR, or will it only be an increased fee if they actually ship you BRs during a month. Seems like some months I go through a few BR's, while other months it's all DVD for us due to a combination of "the movies aren't on BR" or "the BRs in the top of our queue are unavailable".

I don't have a problem paying a little more for BR's in general. I suppose I would feel a bit cheated if we pay extra during a month where we don't even see a single BR. But overall I feel Netflix is a great deal for the convenience and the number of rentals we cycle through.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page