please confirm: Terminator 2 - skeletal cover new master? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i've waded through the following threads that just seemed to meander into arguments and speculations...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=858316

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=terminator

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/17/terminator2.html

but couldnt find an answer to my question:

I picked up my 1st br title t2 a couple weeks ago for $16. its is the black cover edition with arnie on the cover with silver framing along the top, bottom and spine similar to this.

i just noticed bestbuy.ca selling the same movie for the same price now, but with the skeleton cover from the extreme dvd edition here.

is this the new remastered version that everyone has been mentioning in the previous threads or is this just another cover revision? Can anyone up here in canada or down in the us clarify? this is very confusing if they just keep changing the cover art

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

It's just a different cover.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 PM

No remaster, but Schwarzenegger (despite being Governor of a Blue State) forced Lionsgate to remove his image from the blue case to more accurately reflect his position as a Republican.

post #4 of 31 Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 PM

There is no remaster, nor is there any different cover. Bestbuy (aswell as Futureshop just use that picture for some reason). There are however two variations of the arnie cover. One with the normal lionsgate silver on the top and bottom of the cover aswell as the entire spine, and one without. Again, no differences on the actual disc.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 AM

Too bad. This is one film that could definitely use a remaster. The Blu-ray is a decent improvement over the DVD, but it's still a bit soft.

Enjoying the goodness that is Blu-ray and HD-DVD
post #6 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

All of LGF's first releases sucked. That included Saw 1 (which is not even the UE), T2, and Star Gate. I hope they do new masters of these movies quickly.

The format wars are over Primal, you lose - Megatron from Beast Machines (partially)

So long HD-DVD, I will miss you no matter how much I complained about Combo Discs.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

All of LGF's first releases sucked. That included Saw 1 (which is not even the UE), T2, and Star Gate. I hope they do new masters of these movies quickly.

I'm sure they will to coincide with the release of T4.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Ley View Post

No remaster, but Schwarzenegger (despite being Governor of a Blue State) forced Lionsgate to remove his image from the blue case to more accurately reflect his position as a Republican.

I dont see how the studios will remove his likeness from all his movie covers and then explain the use of the terminator exoskeleton on classics like Twins and Jingle All The Way?
post #9 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

There is no remaster, nor is there any different cover. Bestbuy (aswell as Futureshop just use that picture for some reason). There are however two variations of the arnie cover. One with the normal lionsgate silver on the top and bottom of the cover aswell as the entire spine, and one without. Again, no differences on the actual disc.

Thanks for the clarification. This totally sucks. I can understand a slight change cover to cover or diff covers for diff parts of the world, but a specific cover for best buy and futureshop of the exact same product?? that sucks :P
post #10 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.vaccaro View Post

Too bad. This is one film that could definitely use a remaster. The Blu-ray is a decent improvement over the DVD, but it's still a bit soft.

yes from reading these forums i did not realize the controversy surrounding the pq of this title. Plus i assumed it would be the extended version with all the added scenes and extras from the ultimate dvd edition. what a shame for this title the 1st time out on bluray.

Fortunately I dont have a bluray player yet and did not open the disc, so i will return it and get my money back. Maybe i'll try to get the hdvd import version or wait till they redo the title with all the extras and bonuses that should've been included in the 1st place. What a shame, really glad i didnt crack this title open
post #11 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
T2 on BD looks more like 720p than 1080p. There's also compression artifacting. This title definitely needs a remaster and new encoding.

The first movie actually looks better despite older source material.

post #12 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Knowing Lionsgate, they will re-release it 5 times. Look at Total Recall, Terminator 2, Basic Instinct, Rambo from DVD. I will not triple or (quadruple dip for some), so I'm waiting for a better T2 transfer before I buy it. I hope they release the entire Rambo set when Rambo 4 comes out. Hopefully First Blood will be re-mastered.

Of course, they weren't known as Lionsgate throughout the many re-releases of the titles, so who knows.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #13 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Rumor has it the slect Lionsgate titles that were droped to $16.00 was to clear out stock for remastered versions. Well see.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Of course, they weren't known as Lionsgate throughout the many re-releases of the titles, so who knows.

It was made by the independent Carolco, for theaters it was distributed by TriStar Pictures, Canal+, and Toho, Home video went to Pioneer Entertainment, with Live Entertainment, who became Artisan after getting Vestron Pictures, then Lions Gate merged with Artisan, who was later renamed LIONSGATE!
post #15 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravs View Post

Thanks for the clarification. This totally sucks. I can understand a slight change cover to cover or diff covers for diff parts of the world, but a specific cover for best buy and futureshop of the exact same product?? that sucks :P

No, no, thats not what I am saying. What I am saying is that Best Buy and Futureshop just use that picture on their website. The actual Blu-ray that you would find at any Best Buy or Futureshop will have the arnie case, like yours. There is no actual Blu-ray that you can purchase from any retailer that uses the cover that is on Best Buy's website. Hope that clarifies it better.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Why is T2 so bad on BD? I have both SD-DVD versions and the "Extreme Edition" looks pretty good for DVD, and on the back it says it "Brand New Transfer Remastered in 1080p" and that was in 2003 when it came out, so you would think the T2 BD would have used this transfer.

I haven't gotten T2 on BD yet, I hate when they release a movie on BD and its basically a bare bones edition, while on DVD it has tons of extras.
post #17 of 31 Old 01-07-2008, 10:38 PM

different cover
post #18 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

id rather get the directors cut on HD-dvd with superior VC-1 encoding. actually, i just did.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

Why is T2 so bad on BD? I have both SD-DVD versions and the "Extreme Edition" looks pretty good for DVD, and on the back it says it "Brand New Transfer Remastered in 1080p" and that was in 2003 when it came out, so you would think the T2 BD would have used this transfer.

I haven't gotten T2 on BD yet, I hate when they release a movie on BD and its basically a bare bones edition, while on DVD it has tons of extras.

We've now witnessed a number of titles on HDM which looked quite good on DVD but not the greatest in HD as the higher resolution is able to bring out the flaws on the masters. In addition, T2 was one of the first BD titles and I'm sure there was a learning curve here with the encoding especially with MPEG2 on a BD25.

As mentioned, I have no doubt Lionsgate will release the extended cut with a new encode and hopefully remaster.

post #20 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post

No, no, thats not what I am saying. What I am saying is that Best Buy and Futureshop just use that picture on their website. The actual Blu-ray that you would find at any Best Buy or Futureshop will have the arnie case, like yours. There is no actual Blu-ray that you can purchase from any retailer that uses the cover that is on Best Buy's website. Hope that clarifies it better.

much thanks for that clarification. totally understand now

how futureshop and best buy put up that image for the bluray remains a mystery for me :P

Thanks again
post #21 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooms View Post

id rather get the directors cut on HD-dvd with superior VC-1 encoding. actually, i just did.

I'd rather take my chances on a new BD release than invest in a high priced import for a dead format - no offense. In addition, the screenshot comparisons posted in another thread revealed only a very slightly improvement on the HD DVD. T2 has yet to be done correctly in HD form.

How about a new transfer, a new high bit encode on AVC or VC-1, and lossless audio on a BD50?

post #22 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 View Post

i probably might not notice the apparent softness too much either but i agree with you, having a bare bones version of this title would be a step back after owning the extended versions with tons of extras on sd.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

We've now witnessed a number of titles on HDM which looked quite good on DVD but not the greatest in HD as the higher resolution is able to bring out the flaws on the masters. In addition, T2 was one of the first BD titles and I'm sure there was a learning curve here with the encoding especially with MPEG2 on a BD25.

is there a list here with substandard movie transfers to HDM or do you just reference the bottom of the bluray and hdvd tier threads?
post #24 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravs View Post

is there a list here with substandard movie transfers to HDM or do you just reference the bottom of the bluray and hdvd tier threads?

In the case of T2, it was the first BD I bought. Typically, I look at Hd Digest reviews and some of the forum discussions and Tier thread.

post #25 of 31 Old 01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

I'd rather take my chances on a new BD release than invest in a high priced import for a dead format - no offense. In addition, the screenshot comparisons posted in another thread revealed only a very slightly improvement on the HD DVD. T2 has yet to be done correctly in HD form.

How about a new transfer, a new high bit encode on AVC or VC-1, and lossless audio on a BD50?

the BD does not have the directors cut, thats all. the hd-dvd does.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/te...r-p-11233.html
post #26 of 31 Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Oh, the HD-DVD only has the directors cut. Nobody cares about that stuff anyway.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-09-2008, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/te...r-p-11233.html

I know.

post #28 of 31 Old 01-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo Banzai View Post

Oh, the HD-DVD only has the directors cut. Nobody cares about that stuff anyway.

if this was the LSAT, u would fail. i never said only. . it has both. its so hilarious how personally people take this Hddvd vs blu ray thing. esp people like u. why own one when you can own both like me? ps3 + A30 = win.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:

if this was the LSAT, u would fail. i never said only. . it has both. its so hilarious how personally people take this Hddvd vs blu ray thing. esp people like u. why own one when you can own both like me? ps3 + A30 = win.

if this wuz a third graid speling and grammer test u wood fale. Relax, ohms, I have a PS3 and Toshiba XA2, with movies split about 50/50%. It's hilarious when people like u make assumptions.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 PM

there is a remastered HD-DVD coming out in March from Germany, Looks pretty impressive. I have the french HD-DVD and it looks pretty damn good. I only want the Extended Cut though, Now that im purple i will get it on the first format that comes out with a Brand New Master
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page