Does PS3 play .mpg video files? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to use PS3 as a highDef media center. But so far the only kind of homemade video file I am able to play is .m2t files that were captured directly off the HD videocams. If I edited these files even just by adding music to the video, the resulted .mpg files become unplayable on PS3. I would like to play recorded HD shows in .mpg files as well.
Is PS3 capable of playing homemade videos beyond raw data files or I am missing somthing here?
Thanks for your advice and info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM

Yes. It varies by the codec the video file was formatted in, and from personal experience, in the media server you're streaming from (.mov's worked for me via winamp remote, but not nero media home)
Mpeg-2 and Divx encoded files should work. XVid doesn't. Not sure about Mpeg-4.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM

We'll need a little more information.

The .mpg file you are making is it encoded mpeg1 or mpeg2... or even mpeg4?
What software are you using?

I know the ps3 can handle all flavors mpeg2 (dvd video, .t2s)
Some flavors of mp4 (avc, divx)
I assume it can do mpeg1, but mpeg1 is ivery inefficent compared to later versions of mpeg encoding.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Its mpeg2. I have tried all kinds of software to produce the mpeg2 files, Sony Vegas 7e, Ulead Movie Factory 5 &6 , Ulead Video Studio 10 and 11 plus, VideoRedo, MPeg2VCR and etc. The results are the same, either not playable or stuttery videos. BTW the bit rate is at HDV's original 25mbps.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 09:55 AM

Hmmm...I never really had any issues with mpeg2 encoding... is your PC fast enough so it can handle encoing large video files without hiccuping?

For PS3 encoding I usually use AVC mp4 with PS3 Video 9 which is freeware.
The only downside of AVC encodes is windows media server doesn't let you stream it, so either you set up a file server so your PS3 can download the video locallay or just burn the file to a dvd or usb drive.

Anyone else have some ideas?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually no vidoe encoding takes place. I tried to keep all HD files in their native format (mpeg2). Since I am no video expert, I don't know what happens when the software converts .t2s file to .mpg file. I assume it just changes some headings stuff. It seems PS3 is extremely picky about HD video files, anything that has been changed in raw data file, it chooses not to play.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus79 View Post

Yes. It varies by the codec the video file was formatted in, and from personal experience, in the media server you're streaming from (.mov's worked for me via winamp remote, but not nero media home)
Mpeg-2 and Divx encoded files should work. XVid doesn't. Not sure about Mpeg-4.

I've played XVID files without a problem on the ps3.

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #8 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think the problem is your bitrate, I have no problem playing mpg files that are around 8-10mbps but HD content is still proving to be finicky, either it won't play or it stutters.

I find that if I compress down to 8000 or so the files play fine, haven't really spent a lot of time messing with it though.

Also it might help to copy the file to the ps3 first, you can do this when using DLNA just by hitting the triangle and selecting copy. Apparently some people have luck copying files that won't play over the network (ymmv).

edit: xvid works fine for me as well, generally, some older stuff doesn't
post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If it were the data rate then the initial .m2t files (at 25mbps) out of HD cams would have stutter problems too. But they play silky smooth on PS3. Once you touch those raw data files PS3 throws fits. Also you mention something really interesting here: that is PS3 seems to know copy protected content. It's my observation as well-- those recorded HD shows quite often won't play on PS3 no matter the bit rate.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I am having a similar problem....The PS3 (FW 2.50) will play some of my mpeg-2 files, but not others that were converted the same way.

Raw capture of .tp file using a HDTV tuner
Use videoredo to remove commercials and convert to mpeg-2 file.
Copy to PS3 hard drive (to eliminate streaming issue).
(All lossless conversion, no re-encoding)

One file plays, all the others don't. I just get a corrupted data message every time. I haven't changed any settings and I follow the same process each time. Even with recordings from the same channel each week.

What is strange is that the PS3 sees the one file that does play as a MPEG-2 and all relevant data (I.e. time, etc), why the files that the PS3 won't play are identified as MPEG-1 by the PS3.

All of the files play just fine in Nero Showtime and WMP11. Showtime identifies all of the files as MPEG-2.

Any ideas? I'm about to give up on the PS3 as a streaming solution and just put a PC in the theater and sell the PS3.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #11 of 12 Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I am having a similar problem....The PS3 (FW 2.50) will play some of my mpeg-2 files, but not others that were converted the same way.

Raw capture of .tp file using a HDTV tuner
Use videoredo to remove commercials and convert to mpeg-2 file.
Copy to PS3 hard drive (to eliminate streaming issue).
(All lossless conversion, no re-encoding)

One file plays, all the others don't. I just get a corrupted data message every time. I haven't changed any settings and I follow the same process each time. Even with recordings from the same channel each week.

What is strange is that the PS3 sees the one file that does play as a MPEG-2 and all relevant data (I.e. time, etc), why the files that the PS3 won't play are identified as MPEG-1 by the PS3.

All of the files play just fine in Nero Showtime and WMP11. Showtime identifies all of the files as MPEG-2.

Any ideas? I'm about to give up on the PS3 as a streaming solution and just put a PC in the theater and sell the PS3.

one more step, mux the file in tsmuxer. Your files come from videoredo are somehow end up as mpeg2 ts streams which PS3 can't recognise (PS3 can only handle mpeg2 ps stream).
post #12 of 12 Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
thanks, that worked like a charm.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Reply Blu-ray Software