The Official BD Wishlist and "When or will this movie come out on BD? Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2625 Old 09-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To be honest, it's been 10+ years since I saw the theatrical cut so I can't recall the exact changes. The run time on the theatrical cut is 112 whereas the DC is 117.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2625 Old 09-16-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Moulin Rouge if done well should look jawdropping.
post #33 of 2625 Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I looked at the cover of my laserdisc copy of TLotM and couldn't find anything that stated "director's cut". The only way to tell is by the length of the ending monolog?

The laser disc contains the original theatrical version of the film...only reason I kept the LD. I absolutely HATE the DC version of this film which is the only version you can get on DVD. Another film that comes to mind where you can only get the DC version of the film on DVD is Bladerunner. And ...YES...I am looking forward to the HD release of this great film.
post #34 of 2625 Old 09-16-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

Moulin Rouge if done well should look jawdropping.

It should look fantastic judging from the D-Theater release of this. The more proper wider colour renditions are just amazing compared to the dvd.
post #35 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

I looked at the cover of my laserdisc copy of TLotM and couldn't find anything that stated "director's cut". The only way to tell is by the length of the ending monolog?

The laserdisc copy is the Theatrical Release. The DVD is the DC.

The IMDB has a pretty good rundown of the differences:

Quote:

- A new shot of Chingachgook running in the deer chase.

- A new shot of Hawkeye walking towards Cameron's Cabin.

- A new shot of Magua shooting a British soldier point blank with musket.

- Some new shots of the Siege on Fort William Henry.

-A new sequence, which was shown on the CBS version in 1996, shows the previously talked about but never shown, Major Heyward's diversion. It shows the British Army in perfect formation shooting French soldiers and Huron Indians.

-A longer version of the Britsh surrender is shown. Colonel Monroe and General Montcalm discuss political matters.

- Newer shots of the British Army leaving the Fort are shown.

-A new but very brief shot of the French cheering their victory while entering the Fort.

-Some new shots of the Huron approaching the British through the trees.

-Some violent shots of soldiers being hacked to death by tomahawks are shown.

-Some new footage of the group rowing from the Huron are shown.

-After Hawkeye and the others have fled, there are two new but brief shots of the Huron approaching Cora and Alice.

-The whole "I will find you" sequence has been changed. The original had footage of Cora, Alice and Major Heyward being taken up a mountain. This sequence was accompanied by the song, "I will find you" by the Irish group, Clannad. In this version, the song is gone and the sequence is about thirty seconds longer. It has different shots of Hawkeye, his brother and Chingachgook running up the mountain and following the Huron War party. Their are also beautiful shots of the group being led into the sunset.

-A brief shot of Hawkeye spying on the Huron village.

-A quick shot of Major Heyward burning alive has been added but his screaming has been deleted in the rest of the shots.

-New shots of Uncas fighting the Huron and Magua have been added.

-When Magua slits Uncas' throat, a new sound was digitally added.

-When Chingachgook rolls under Magua, a new sound of the tomahawk swinging is heard.

-When Chingachgook kills Magua, the pike from the battle axe is no longer shown impaling Magua.

-The scene where Hawkeye goes to comfort Cora has been deleted.

-There is a much longer version of the Uncas funeral scene. Chingachgook talks about the Frontier life and how it is changing.

-Hawkeye's statement to Major Heyward in the Fort, "Someday you and I are going to have a serious disagreement," has been removed.

-At night in the burial ground, Hawkeye's line about his father saying "Do not try to understand them, and do not make them try to understand you, for they are a breed apart and make no sense," and Cora's response later have been deleted.

-When escaping in the canoes Hawkeye's line "Isn't there anything better to do on the lake today, Major?" has been deleted.

-Cora's line behind the waterfall, "If the worse should happen, if only one of us survives, something of the other does too," and the first part of Hawkeye's following speech have been deleted.

-After telling Major Heyward that he ain't no scout, and ain't in no damn militia, Hawkeye's line "Clear it up any?" has been deleted.

The worst changes for me are the conversation between Hawkeye & Cora in the burial ground, the "serious disagreement" and "clear it up any" lines being deleted, and the editing of Chingachgook's defeat of Magua (it also removed a shot of Chingachgook's weapon breaking Magua's shoulder.)
post #36 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004 View Post

no new info on these blu ray discs ?

epic movies in cinemascope MUST be owned in high definition. the dvd is crap compared. especially on big screens.

DANCES WITH WOLVES
BRAVEHEART
LAST OF THE MOHICANS
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

to name just 4

Braveheart and Once Upon a Time in the West are Paramount titles, so no Blu-ray for those.

Dances With Wolves and Last of the Mohicans should have both been out by now, if anyone was manning the ship at Fox.

XA1 + PS3 = HD bliss
post #37 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

My GF loves LOTM and she bought the directors cut DVD not knowing any better, watched it and was seriously pissed off. She mostly complained about a scene where the music had changed, not sure what part that was. Must be that "I'll find you sequence" refrenced above. Man was she mad. I would love to be able to get the theatrical on BD.!!

Blue Discs: 28....Next purchase...The Rock
Red Discs: 7....Next purchase...Is there a need to?
PS3 Games: 4....Next purchase...GT5
Just a bluish shade of purple....Neutrality is calming!
post #38 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage000 View Post

My GF loves LOTM and she bought the directors cut DVD not knowing any better, watched it and was seriously pissed off. She mostly complained about a scene where the music had changed, not sure what part that was. Must be that "I'll find you sequence" refrenced above. Man was she mad. I would love to be able to get the theatrical on BD.!!

Yep - I remember the long search years ago for a different region, but with no luck. Long strings on amazon about this as well. Your GF is not alone.
One instance where the DC trashed the film. That it was M Mann make everyone shake their head - too bad.
post #39 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louigi222 View Post

I absolutely HATE the DC version of this film which is the only version you can get on DVD.

Wrong,

as I stated above the TC is available in other regions, including an isolated score track, and I have it right here.

It's distributed by Warner Brosthers, it's the best PQ I've seen for this movie but now I'm used to HD, it's not that great.
post #40 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBC View Post

Wrong,

as I stated above the TC is available in other regions, including an isolated score track, and I have it right here.

It's distributed by Warner Brosthers, it's the best PQ I've seen for this movie but now I'm used to HD, it's not that great.

So I'd have to have a region free player even if I were able to procure this edition from overseas? That stinks.
post #41 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 11:28 AM
jcc
AVS Special Member

here's the commercial for anyone who's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7pcFC4sm6I

Also, I always heard that the DC was better. I never saw the TC. The good news is that i bought the DC on sale for $4.99.

Dances with Wolves I definately like the DC. I hope that's what they'll release.

I'm an investment manager Jim, Not a doctor!
post #42 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonAB View Post

So I'd have to have a region free player even if I were able to procure this edition from overseas? That stinks.

I don't know if it's region coded, I'll check later.

But RC has neve been an issue to me, all my players since 1998 have been region free.
post #43 of 2625 Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jason, thanks for your incisive post on the difference between the theatre release and the director's cut.
post #44 of 2625 Old 09-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Just curious. Does it matter to you folks what the audio will be on these titles or would you buy them regardless for the upgrade of picture quality?

At least for Last of the Mohicans I would not buy it unless it is either True-HD or Uncompressed PCM. The sound is the best part of this film.
post #45 of 2625 Old 09-20-2007, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post

Just curious. Does it matter to you folks what the audio will be on these titles or would you buy them regardless for the upgrade of picture quality?

Im a picture man all the way. Every disc sounds the same to me.
post #46 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Anyone know? Sure hope so with Diamond Dave back!!!

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #47 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
That would be great!
post #48 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I saw Van Halen last night... Were you there Kipp?

I thought it one of the best concerts I have seen in decades. Eddie and David Lee Roth looked so fit / ripped and played just like I recall them back in the late '70s as a kid at the Diver Down tour. They were not sagging old farts by any means. But man was it loud. I wore ear protection. I would guess they were 125 dbs and up all night long.

What happened to Michael Anthony?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #49 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Eddie and Alex got pissed at Mike for playing some shows with Sammy. I guess they expected him to sit home and do nothing like they were. I believe he's touring with Sammy this year.

post #50 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 AM

A little off topic here but -
Van Halen recently had a huge technical issue on stage in a concert somewhere out east. During "Jump", the keyboards - which were sampled - played back at the wrong sampling rate, causing them to be WAY off key.

I feel bad for bands when that kind of stuff happens of stage, but hey finished the song though!

I love VH.
post #51 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I thought it one of the best concerts I have seen in decades. Eddie and David Lee Roth looked so fit / ripped and played just like I recall them back in the late '70s as a kid at the Diver Down tour. They were not sagging old farts by any means. But man was it loud. I wore ear protection. I would guess they were 125 dbs and up all night long.

What happened to Michael Anthony?

Hi Jeff,
Unfortunately no. I was looking forward to a BR disk in TrueHD.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #52 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad View Post

Eddie and Alex got pissed at Mike for playing some shows with Sammy. I guess they expected him to sit home and do nothing like they were. I believe he's touring with Sammy this year.

More to it than that. Mike has burned a few bridges and it looks good on him that he is out, plus I have seen this tour 3 times so far, and Wolfgang has done more bass playing in 3 shows then Mike has done in 20 years.
post #53 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I was at The Palace last night for the VH concert.

It felt like 1984 all over again. Those guys still have it.

And my ears are still ringing....
post #54 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootse7en View Post

I was at The Palace last night for the VH concert.

It felt like 1984 all over again. Those guys still have it.

And my ears are still ringing....

What?

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #55 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

So how long is Dave going to stay with the band this time?
post #56 of 2625 Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM

I'll be at the new Sprint Center in KC for their show Friday night. This will be my first mega concert, (despite the fact that I am 27) so I am incredibly hyped. I noticed they have closed VIP sales for the KC show, and also have postponed the Saint Louis show the Sunday night after, so part of me wants to construe that as a possibility that they might film the KC show. Keep in mind that this is just me in fantasy land (they closed VIP sales for the Minneapolis show this wek as well), but it would be awesome. All my friends think it is nuts to pay $99 for a concert ticket (just think if I had plunked down the $200 for a really good ticket), but I keep trying to explain to them the implosion factor and how there's no guarantee they will last past the tour.

Glad to hear the glowing reviews - I've been watching the videos people have been sending in to Van Halen News Desk, and I have been impressed so far.
post #57 of 2625 Old 10-24-2007, 11:54 AM

Last night I watched Meet the Robinsons, and they had a new trailer on there for Disney Blu ray, and on the trailer they showed Aladdin, Tarzan, and the Lion King in High Def!

It sure would be sweet if these come out next year, has anyone seen the trailer im talking about or know something about it?
post #58 of 2625 Old 10-24-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Did it say "Coming Soon"? Coming Soon is the most vague statement that was ever coined.

Wolfie
post #59 of 2625 Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Disney has only announced "Sleeping Beauty" for Blu-ray. However, that's not to say they don't have plans for other big surprises from the vault.
post #60 of 2625 Old 10-24-2007, 12:16 PM

Wow I would love Aladdin and Lion King on Blu-ray soon. Best 2 Disney movies, IMO. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page