The Official BD Wishlist and "When or will this movie come out on BD? Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2614 Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Armageddon
Proof of Life
Blade
LA Confidential
Ronin
Heat
Gladiator
Braveheart
Saving Private Ryan
X:Files: Fight the Future
The Negogiator
Last of the Mohicans
Jumanji
Tin Cup
The Ghost and the Darkness
Se7en
Good Will Hunting
Tombstone
Rounders
Saint
In The Line of Fire
Contact
Three Kings

Robert Christian Barger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this would be a useful category

So far these titles come to mind, both were going to come out on HD-DVD but were dropped due to the end of the format war and no exact release date on BLU-RAY.

Sweeney Todd
There will be Blood

Added

Bee Movie
Cloverfield
Charlie Wilson's War
post #633 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Bee Movie, even though I guess some people were able to find the actual hd-dvd disc
post #634 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Cloverfield

Rumors of a movie only release on BD came about but nothing confirmed by the studio.
post #635 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Charlie Wilson's War from Universal.
post #636 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is a good idea for a thread, but you whiffed on the title. This was a golden opportunity to title a thread: 'Casualties of War'.

Quote:

Bee Movie, even though I guess some people were able to find the actual hd-dvd disc

I've seen nothing to indicated any copies of this HD DVD release made it to retail.
post #637 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd_showtime View Post

Alien and Aliens

Here here!

While I'm at it...... North By Northwest. I think that it should look beautiful on BD since it's already very nice on DVD.
post #638 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Great my thread got morphed into this one where is does not belong, thanks a ton mods for missing the point of my thread.

My thread was not about wish list movies for BLU-RAY but movies that got lost in the HD cracks because of the end of the format war.
post #639 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Think we'll see this on Blu-Ray? It's been absolutely phenomenal and while I'm not certain whether or not I would buy, I definitely would for the right price. Seems as if HBO has released a little bit on Blu-Ray, but not enough to convince me it'll happen. Hopefully it comes out on both formats.
post #640 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM

I am bit confused on who owns the rights to this movie. MGM originally distributed it to theater when it originally came out, but now Warner recently released a DVD for it.

I am just curious, because if Warner owns it, there is a chance it might be released soon, which would be awesome because this is a movie I really want, if it's still MGM, well, you know how MGM has been with Blu-ray releases.
post #641 of 2614 Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Cornerstone View Post

I am bit confused on who owns the rights to this movie. MGM originally distributed it to theater when it originally came out, but now Warner recently released a DVD for it.

I am just curious, because if Warner owns it, there is a chance it might be released soon, which would be awesome because this is a movie I really want, if it's still MGM, well, you know how MGM has been with Blu-ray releases.

The entire pre-1985 MGM catalog (not counting the UA titles) was bought by Ted Turner, who in turn sold to Warners. Thus, Warners controls all of those films.

This includes: Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, The Band Wagon, Gigi, Ben-Hur, and many others. MGM was the best studio in the 1925-1960 period so this is quite a treasure trove.

We can basically be thankful that Warners owns it. They do about the best work at restoring and maintaining their treasured films (even the lesser-known ones). The MGM catalog, the RKO catalog, and the complete Warners catalog (Warners has over the last 80 years been the best studio) are under their control. [thank goodness Paramount doesn't own it!]

Warners has said that their "09" anniversary mega-classics will make it to Blu-ray next year. This includes: Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, North by Northwest, and of course Ben-Hur (1959).

The real question is whether there will be a proper photochemical restoration with 70mm prints in the 2.65 aspect ratio with theatrical exhibition. The Cinerama Dome is waiting!
post #642 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

The entire pre-1985 MGM catalog (not counting the UA titles) was bought by Ted Turner, who in turn sold to Warners. Thus, Warners controls all of those films.

This includes: Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, The Band Wagon, Gigi, Ben-Hur, and many others. MGM was the best studio in the 1925-1960 period so this is quite a treasure trove.

We can basically be thankful that Warners owns it. They do about the best work at restoring and maintaining their treasured films (even the lesser-known ones). The MGM catalog, the RKO catalog, and the complete Warners catalog (Warners has over the last 80 years been the best studio) are under their control. [thank goodness Paramount doesn't own it!]

Warners has said that their "09" anniversary mega-classics will make it to Blu-ray next year. This includes: Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, North by Northwest, and of course Ben-Hur (1959).

The real question is whether there will be a proper photochemical restoration with 70mm prints in the 2.65 aspect ratio with theatrical exhibition. The Cinerama Dome is waiting!

Thanks for the explanation. That is good news that Warner does own them. But IIRC, Ben-Hur was just restored for the DVD release, so I Can't see Warner re-restoring them. And I don't know if I would like a 2.7:1 movie on my tv.. I could barely see anything! So basically what your saying is that Ben-Hur is extremely likely to come out next year and I should wait to buy it instead of buying the DVD now?
post #643 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Hi ALL,

Any news on when Transformers will be out in Blu Ray. Admittedly it is not in the same league as some of the classic movies mentioned in this thread but I saw it in HD DVD for the short time I owned the Samsung dual format player and I really enjoyed the movie.

Gerry
post #644 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

What happened to this movie? Why was it postponed into the next Ice Age???

post #645 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^From what I remember, it was supposed to be in that Father's Day promotion with the other war movies in May or June, but you know how Fox always cuts back on their announced output.
post #646 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Cornerstone View Post

Thanks for the explanation. That is good news that Warner does own them. But IIRC, Ben-Hur was just restored for the DVD release, so I Can't see Warner re-restoring them. And I don't know if I would like a 2.7:1 movie on my tv.. I could barely see anything! So basically what your saying is that Ben-Hur is extremely likely to come out next year and I should wait to buy it instead of buying the DVD now?

Warners has in fact told various folks (e.g., Bill Hunt) that Ben-hur is coming out next year on Blu-ray for its 50th birthday. Bill just reconfirmed this week.

The question is whether or not we will have new 70mm prints for theatrical exhibition.

This is a film--like Lawrence--that must be seen in its original format and in a proper theater. It simply overwhelms.

I am lobbying for this.
post #647 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And I don't know if I would like a 2.7:1 movie on my tv..

Thankgoodness for 2.35 front projection!!! I highly recommend going to 2:35 constant image height... The amount of black bars will be negligible on my screen and will be practically full screen on my setup...
post #648 of 2614 Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsmith View Post

This is extremely good news, I'll buy all of them
post #649 of 2614 Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

This is an extremely long thread and I apologize if this has been covered but...any news of BSG seasons 1.0-3.0 on BD? I already have all of the standard dvd's (+ Razor) and avoided getting season 1 on HD-DVD because I want to preserve the entire series on one format....but I want the best quality possible.

edit- BSG= Battlestar Galactica

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #650 of 2614 Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

There Will Be Blood.......we need Paramount back on the Blu Ray side, PRONTO! Excellent movie and I so badly want to see it in HD!

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #651 of 2614 Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Yep, plenty of movies to suck me dry when they come out from Universal and a few from Paramount.

I have seen the Bad Boys previews in the BD promo discs in the stores but not a date on any of them. Anyone know what's up with them?

Blu-ray supporter
PSN: Dragngt
post #652 of 2614 Old 04-10-2008, 01:38 PM

Additional question. Can we get the OP of this thread to update his post once we get any kind of dates for these movies? Heck I'll do it if someone doesn't mind a new thread that's updated often. That way it works similar to the BOGO and sales thread and anyone that has a movie they want can look at the list and see whether or not their movie is there and if it has a date already.

Blu-ray supporter
PSN: Dragngt
post #653 of 2614 Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Bluray.com has a complete list of BD movies. The amazon pre-order thread is being maintained for upcoming movies that can be pre-ordered (duh ). The BD release thread is no longer maintained. Don't know if it really needs to be since bluray.com is up to date and the thread here will become unwieldy (hopefully) as time goes by. However, if you want to volunteer....

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #654 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms View Post

There have been a few releases, such as "House of Flying Daggers", and "Curse of the Golden Flower", but still no "Crouching Tiger" or "Hero" released on Blu Ray.

Has there been any news / indication of releases of these and future Asian titles to Blu Ray? Movies such as "The Warlords", and "Legend of the Black Scorpion" I really don't want to purchase on DVD if there is a possibility of 1080p, the cinematography in these movies really warrants 1080p.

Thanks,

hms

Hero is out on bluray in germany and the netherlands but there is no english sub title track on ethier release.

219 blu rays
89 HD DVDS
post #655 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Any ideas when they are releasing on BR?
post #656 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcity View Post

Any ideas when they are releasing on BR?

Nothing has been announced and nobody really knows anything more then that.
post #657 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krandor View Post

Nothing has been announced and nobody really knows anything more then that.

Thanks. Cant wait!!
post #658 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 12:05 PM

Paramount's eventual title announcements better include seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter, this show is amazing and needs a Blu-ray release.
post #659 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arecsa View Post

Paramount's eventual title announcements better include seasons 1 and 2 of Dexter, this show is amazing and needs a Blu-ray release.

Phenominal show in Dexter, and this is one series I would probably watch again if it came to BR. Great writing, acting, etc.....just a fantastic show. I watched the whole 2nd season on a laptop and loved it so the BR would just be amazing for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #660 of 2614 Old 04-11-2008, 09:13 PM

Air Force One on SD has some of the best sound out there. I can only imagine it on Blu.

Robert Christian Barger
Reply Blu-ray Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page